ADVERTISEMENT

OT: How many of you find it impossible to find gifts for your wife?

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
The only thing that has ever worked for me are finely crafted glass bowls and we reached the saturation point on these years ago. For a while earrings worked but then my daughters took over that particular racket. (They’re better at it than I am.) I have never been able to buy clothes that she’s ever worn. So this year is like the tenth consecutive year she’s bought her own presents and will tell everyone that they’re from me. (My daughters know better.) I don’t think she cares but I’m feeling kinda bad about this.

🖐🏻
Bought her an Apple Watch this year. Her facial response said it all.
I said if it’s not something she liked, I won’t be hurt. SHE said - I just don’t know if I’d get full use of all the technology.
Not sure what she’ll want to purchase after we return it.
I like what @CF LION Lion posted. Good thought going forward.

OL

Reactions: Obliviax
My wife loves stuff for the dog. This year I got her a Dremel tool to do his nails. She loves it. But you are right. Tough to buy them things.

The only thing that has ever worked for me are finely crafted glass bowls and we reached the saturation point on these years ago. For a while earrings worked but then my daughters took over that particular racket. (They’re better at it than I am.) I have never been able to buy clothes that she’s ever worn. So this year is like the tenth consecutive year she’s bought her own presents and will tell everyone that they’re from me. (My daughters know better.) I don’t think she cares but I’m feeling kinda bad about this.

Rmember - women don’t dress for men; they dress for other women. I stick to accessories for the most part - bracelets, scarves, sunglasses, bags, watches, etc. - and since my wife likes certain luxury brands, I know I can buy almost anything from them and she’ll like it.

Tiffany.com

Obviously if she’s hinting you have clues . Many of us have been married many years. Some of us to the same woman for many years and material things have accumulated. Safe bets are bath bombs, shower bombs, soaps , wines, chocolate , candles, spa certificates . Risky bets -peloton , gym memberships . Bad bets- Weight watchers , spanx , vacuum cleaners .

Last edited:
Men tend to think of practical, usable items. Men love tools, toys, and things that make life easier. Items last last a long time.

Women love emotional gifts. Like things that say....or make them feel......they are special. Free spa treatments, facials, salon treatments, massages. These things are fleeting but they leave their mark.

If my wife mentions something she likes l make note of it and order it before I forget. Year round. In a good year I have her Christmas shopping done by September. It’s the only system that works for me. Otherwise, I have no clue.

Reactions: BW Lion
Lion Jim. Looks like you have done well. If it’s hard to know what to buy you might start to think of ‘giving’ in her name to help others. Animals, Arts, Music, People, and other causes could be dear to her.
Merry Christmas.

Reactions: brupsu and OhioLion
My wife likes practical stuff. She doesn't wear any jewelery. And is pretty particular about her clothes.

This year I got her a big pot and pan set as ours were getting worn. Between brunch and dinner, she's already used most of them.

Last year, it was Muck boots and some new mixer glasses.

I'm sure there are other things she would like, but I admit I don't pay attention enough. Or I forget.

Reactions: gr82baspartan
I bought my wife a wireless mouse, new tires and new windshield wiper’s. I filled up both cars with gas and got the oil changed. She likes not having to deal and likes to pick out her own stuff. I feel like I am an offensive linemen of Christmas; I just block

I hear you LJ. I can barely pick my own clothes--I am not even gonna try for her. And, this year, trips and shows and dining out have been, like, no chance.

My wife is an excellent cook. Learned it from her great grandma who raised her. A couple months ago she posted on fb a handwritten, 40 yo recipe of her G-grandma's for raisin filled cookies. Some other woman commented and said "You can get that handwritten recipe inscribed on a cutting board."

BOOM. Got it. Beautiful. Great piece of memorabilia about G grandma, signed by her, on a beautiful piece of maple.

Today we open gifts, and her son got her the same f#cking thing. Forget it, bro. We are f'ed.

Gift cards for massages, spa days, nursery and garden centers. I got nothin'.

My wife likes practical stuff. She doesn't wear any jewelery. And is pretty particular about her clothes.

This year I got her a big pot and pan set as ours were getting worn. Between brunch and dinner, she's already used most of them.

Last year, it was Muck boots and some new mixer glasses.

I'm sure there are other things she would like, but I admit I don't pay attention enough. Or I forget.
Wife luvs her new Shark Vacuum cleaner.

,,,cheers

I have a very simple rule - I get her things that are easy to return.

Find a good jewelry store, you can always find something nice in the $500 to $5000 range. It's not that hard just takes money.

A weekend in Paris, or a couple of days on a Caribbean Island always works for me.

This issue is set with the temperament and style of the woman you marry long before you even meet her.

That's why it is so important to find a low maintenance wife.

I just let her pick her own stuff for the most part, and she is happy as a lark....

I hope my late 20's single sons have figured this out as well.......

Wrong year for this, but my favorite gift to give my wife and now my gf has always been experiences - concert tickets, Broadway show tix, plan a weekend getaway, etc.
I usually do the same. However, things fell apart this year when the cruise that we were going to take at Christmas was cancelled the end of November.

This issue is set with the temperament and style of the woman you marry long before you even meet her.

I just let her pick her own stuff for the most part, and she is happy as a lark....

My wife is super duper low maintenance.
She can go from zero to smoking hot in 10 minutes.
She always has and always will be so easy to shop for.

I’ve had the same issues for years since my taste in women’s clothes, jewelry, etc is terrible. I’m currently getting her technology gifts making the house “smarter”. Last year it was Google home and video door bell. This year it was the Nest thermostat and iRobot. Eventually I will run out of things, but she seems to like what she is getting now.

Women are impossible to buy for. It's one of the many "joys" of xmas. Some you can satiate with coupons for stuff. With your wife, if she doesn't just tell you what she wants, it's her fault if she gets a new chainsaw.

Reactions: psuaxe70
I find it very difficult to get my wife a unique gift (that she really likes). Used to be jewelry but she got picky and wants to pick it out herself. Clothes? Forget it... we don't have common tastes (or I don't have good sense of style). I've struggled for years with this, so this year I got clever and ordered a massage chair from Amazon. It good mostly really good reviews, but for my wife she says it doesn't get her back or neck well enough. Sigh... gift cards it is.

Yep. Same here. My brother married two good looking small blondes and they are both ex’s. Many they were brutal!!!

My wife always says aren’t you lucky I’m not that way. I said well, it didn’t take me 36 years on this planet to find the right woman for nothing you know!

Lol

Reactions: GregInPitt
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT