ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Holy hypocrite alert - Seth Meyers says hard to joke about Weinstein

SLion

May 29, 2001
"I don't think the tragedy ever ends. That's one of the challenges — trying to find a way to talk about it that is also comedy," Meyers said Tuesday night. "We, as a whole staff, had to process it. And it's very hard when you're talking about things like sexual assault to think, 'I have the perfect joke for this.'

Really,Seth? It is Weinstein's Hollywood status or Hebrew status that prevent this tough moral dilemma? He and his fellow NW alums were the worst in terms of jumping on Penn State during Sandusky scandal.

What is a "Hebrew status?"
Seth Myers is not Jewish.
"Hebrew status?" Hmm. Odd choice of words. Maybe he was referring to Meyers' language speaking abilities.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how people like Judd Apatow, Sarah Silverman, Adam Sandler, Seth Rogen, etc, weigh in on Weinstein. My guess is that they will actually make jokes about the subject. If you saw the movie "Funny People" which was excellent, I think that provides a clue into the matter also.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95
All this is so....dated. apparently the mocked Weinstein LAST NIGHT.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/10/...?smid=fb-share&referer=http://m.facebook.com/

Dragged kicking and screaming, no doubt. Like all the rest of Hollywood.

Not with the enthusiasm he showed against PSU.

From the aforementioned article:

Posting on his Twitter, Quinn wrote that it was "too soon" to be poke fun at allegations that former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky molested young boys.

The comic
tweeted: "Nice Sandusky sketch on SNL last night. Yeah, real appropriate. Real classy. I'm ashamed I was ever associated with that show. #toosoon

SNL headwriter Seth Meyers later seemed to
mock the criticism on his own Twitter page by taking credit for writing the sketch and challenging Quinn to "come out and fight like a man".

Posting on his Twitter, Quinn wrote that it was "too soon" to be poke fun at allegations that former Penn State football coach Jerry Sandusky molested young boys.

The comic
tweeted: "Nice Sandusky sketch on SNL last night. Yeah, real appropriate. Real classy. I'm ashamed I was ever associated with that show. #toosoon

mock the criticism on his own Twitter page by taking credit for writing the sketch and challenging Quinn to "come out and fight like a man".

Hahahhahahaha. Dragged kicking and screaming.

From NYTimes.

Last week, an investigation published by The New York Times revealed decades’ worth of harassment allegations against Mr. Weinstein. But in the days immediately afterward, many late-night comedy programs ignored the scandal, including “S.N.L.” The show had prepared some jokes about Mr. Weinstein for its Oct. 7 broadcast but did not use them; a person familiar with preparations for the episode said that the material played poorly in a dress rehearsal and that the Weinstein story was regarded as possibly unfamiliar to a wide national audience.

"I don't think the tragedy ever ends. That's one of the challenges — trying to find a way to talk about it that is also comedy," Meyers said Tuesday night. "We, as a whole staff, had to process it. And it's very hard when you're talking about things like sexual assault to think, 'I have the perfect joke for this.'

Really,Seth? It is Weinstein's Hollywood status or Hebrew status that prevent this tough moral dilemma? He and his fellow NW alums were the worst in terms of jumping on Penn State during Sandusky scandal.
Go **** yourself.

I would bet there are a lot of other guys like Harvey Weinstein and worse and a lot of people in the entertainment business are tolerating their behavior. A lot of these more famous enablers are usually signaling their virtue, telling the littlepeople how they should be living their lives and otherwise shaming them for some perceived political incorrectness.
It’s the never ending hypocrisy I can’t abide.

Unlike the OP, I agree with Seth Meyers. There are lots of subjects about which jokes are funny and appropriate. Sexual assault is a subject that does not fit into that category.

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP was disagreeing with the notion that sexual assault is a subject that is difficult, if not impossible, about which to make (funny) jokes.

I think the OP was referring to the hypocrisy of Seth Meyers who quite frequently made/told Sandusky/Penn State related "jokes" centering around the scandal borne of Sandusky's sexual abuse of children.

I could be wrong though. Maybe I should just let the OP speak for him/herself.

"Hebrew status?" Hmm. Odd choice of words. Maybe he was referring to Meyers' language speaking abilities.

I was being careful as I am not trying to incite. I am just really perplexed as to Seth's sudden moral dilemma when he was merciless with a child molestation scandal. There were a number of derogatory Paterno statements from his SNL and Late Night monologues.

LOL...did you kneel during weekend update last night?
I am an independent who has criticized both loonies on the right (TJ) and left (NJPSU). Used to work in politics so I saw in person what BS it all was and the charlatans who many hold up as their political heroes (on all sides). I happen to support the kneeling players but also can see rank hypocrisy from Hollywood when it presents itself.

Sorry you can't put me in an ideological box

I could be wrong, but I don't think the OP was disagreeing with the notion that sexual assault is a subject that is difficult, if not impossible, about which to make (funny) jokes.

I think the OP was referring to the hypocrisy of Seth Meyers who quite frequently made/told Sandusky/Penn State related "jokes" centering around the scandal borne of Sandusky's sexual abuse of children.

I could be wrong though. Maybe I should just let the OP speak for him/herself.

Exactly. I don't believe it is a joking matter. Just astonished at hypocrisy of some "comedians" who suddenly find a moral dilemma with Weinstein story.

Reactions: WeR0206 and 91Joe95
I would bet there are a lot of other guys like Harvey Weinstein and worse and a lot of people in the entertainment business are tolerating their behavior. A lot of these more famous enablers are usually signaling their virtue, telling the littlepeople how they should be living their lives and otherwise shaming them for some perceived political incorrectness.
It’s the never ending hypocrisy I can’t abide.
There is. David Geffen.

Reactions: WeR0206

The comic

LOL - a nebbish like Seth Meyers telling Colin Quinn to fight like a man. Colin Quinn would break that guy

Comedian James Corden ( I know who???) is getting ripped today for making Weinstein jokes at a gala last night.

I think the eggshell walking from Hollywood is in part because many know the victims - they’re not faceless numbers or Jane Does. Paltrow, McGowan, Argento, Jolie...

Still, I like Meyers but he’s a turd for his Sandusky/Paterno garbage on SNL. He was the head writer there and a Northwestern grad.

Unlike the OP, I agree with Seth Meyers. There are lots of subjects about which jokes are funny and appropriate. Sexual assault is a subject that does not fit into that category.

But Meyers jokes about Sandusky's sexual assaults were funny and appropriate?? Gotcha.

Reactions: WeR0206
SNL mentioned Uncle Harvey two times in weekend update, kudos to the writing staff and to the two actors who did the bits.

Affleck's comments were hilarious, and Daman's comments were even funnier. Both of them knew for over a decade, and remained silent. Good for Rose McGowan for calling them out. I have a whole new love for Rose now.

I find it interesting that Mayim Bialik is being accused of victim shaming. I don't think it is "victim shaming" to say that Hollywood was complicit in allowing this monster to continue unchecked for decades. That includes Ashley Judd, Angelina Jolie, Gwyneth Paltrow, and others. I give Rose McGowan and Mira Sorvino a pass, because McGowan was actually raped, while Sorvino's career, was in fact, ruined by Weinstein.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT