ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Have had a Squadron of F-35’s practicing over my home this morning

whart

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2004
Fort Worth TX
I live about 10 miles down range from Naval Air Station Ft Worth. They have been practicing over my home ..,,.so close that the windows are rattling . I actually love it.....makes me proud to watch their maneuvers and precision against a clear blue sky. So appreciative that our guys / gals are protecting our skies.

Having been in the Air Force many years ago, and in the Department of Defense since then, I have come to appreciate the vastness of our weapons acquisition and development processes. The F-35 is a marvel of technology, a complete platform and weapon system that is above and beyond anything else in the world. And yet, it was envisioned 30 years ago and designed about 20 years ago.

Just imagine what we'll be flying in 2040 and 2050. And those systems are being designed right now.

Having been in the Air Force many years ago, and in the Department of Defense since then, I have come to appreciate the vastness of our weapons acquisition and development processes. The F-35 is a marvel of technology, a complete platform and weapon system that is above and beyond anything else in the world. And yet, it was envisioned 30 years ago and designed about 20 years ago.

Just imagine what we'll be flying in 2040 and 2050. And those systems are being designed right now.
F35 is OK. Very limited in it's capabilities as an overall "fighter". I'll take the much less expensive F-16 any day even though it is not "stealth".

F35 is OK. Very limited in it's capabilities as an overall "fighter". I'll take the much less expensive F-16 any day even though it is not "stealth".
I'm not an Air Force guy, but it's my impression that the F-15 is the undisputed king- with the possible exception of the hugely expensive F-22

I was driving up I-81 years ago and right around the Frackville exit area a fighter jet went screaming by crossing the highway just above the treetops. Scared the hell out of us for a second as you couldn’t see or hear it coming. Really cool thing to see and I think about it every time I’m heading up 81.

I'm not an Air Force guy, but it's my impression that the F-15 is the undisputed king- with the possible exception of the hugely expensive F-22
F-15 for air-to-air, but the F-16 is a true multi-role fighter. Not sure what "block" level (upgrades) they function at since I have long since retired from USAF. Three of my good friends were F-16 pilots. For F-15 to go more multi-role they went to F-15E but that deterred some it's air-to-air capabilities. Not even sure if F15E's are still operational? F-16 remains a main stay along with that tough old A-10 "Wharthog". Still a fair amount of operational and logistics (cost issues) with both F-22 and F-35.

Just across I 25 from USAFA. All year long we get the sound of freedom, albeit without cool jets. I don’t get it but periodically someone will bitch about the noise. Would love to see some 35’s so I’m totally jealous.
I do to, I'm literally looking out the window at the football stadium. I'm on Interquest, where are you at?

Drones

Reactions: Nittany_93
Fighters will loiter above and around my cabin adjacent to the Sproul State Forest before they make their run (I assume) to Ft Indiantown Gap. Once some kind of two seater came over at a level I could see the pilot. Always appreciate hearing and seeing out defense tax dollars at work.

In Utah this past week, having flown in thru Vegas. Pretty cool watching all the activity in the sky around Nellis on the drive out. Hoping to see same tomorrow.

In Utah this past week, having flown in thru Vegas. Pretty cool watching all the activity in the sky around Nellis on the drive out. Hoping to see same tomorrow.
Nellis is very busy. Lots of DOD wide trading goes on there because the abundance of military use airspace.

The Navy was just beginning to fly the F14 Tomcat at the end of my time. I remember a couple of them coming in low over the piers in Norfolk and then powering up and going practically straight up. They weren't supposed to buzz the piers, but those guys were obviously having some fun. And we enjoyed the show.

Reactions: TheGLOV
If you are near Fort Worth Texas and would like to see some F-35's set your GPS for 999 Lockheed Blvd and park in one of the lots a few hundred yards before the security gate. They fly some most days, just be patient. You'll know when one is near. :) If you're lucky they'll have one of the F-35B's being test flown. The B version is a "Short take-off/vertical landing.

Reactions: whart
I live about 10 miles down range from Naval Air Station Ft Worth. They have been practicing over my home ..,,.so close that the windows are rattling . I actually love it.....makes me proud to watch their maneuvers and precision against a clear blue sky. So appreciative that our guys / gals are protecting our skies.
God Bless the USA . I am so proud that I served my country. USAF many years ago.

I'm not a military guy but I'm proud to say my best friend is an AF pilot. He's the most disciplined, loyal, and conscientious person I've ever known and a perpetual inspiration. Really smart too. Several years ago he walked away from a lucrative tech job to go on full time activation and is now over in Europe away from his family making a fraction of what he could, but he loves what he's doing. I don't have the stuff to do that, but readily acknowledge those that do.

The F - 35 certainly had some teething problems. The services used a concept called “ concurrency “ where they began deploying it while it was still being tested and developed.
It had the initial reputation as an unmaneuverable tub, but it has gradually proven itself. The pilots say to fly it you basically have to relearn how to fly. They also pretty much say that wouldn’t want to go back to 4th generation planes if they had to go to war. The costs had also come down under expectations.

Nice. I'm moving this weekend from Monument to Interquest. See you around!

Parry’s on Interquest and Walter’s303 on North Gate both pretty good sports bars. Walter’s is a little quieter and has a decent pie. Parry’s has a great micro selection.

Vacationed at the Outerbanks (Corolla) a few weeks back. Spent the day gazing skyward for the F-18's out of Oceana NAS in Virginia Beach. Saw quite a few along with 4 Apache flying formation northward up the beach and V-22 Ospreys. Quite impressive and literally makes my day.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT