ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Has anyone else been paying attention to auto insurance premiums?

Also have you noticed things like brakes = they don't put on new pads and turn the rotors they replace the rotora and everything so it's like $750 instead od $250.
Yep and I had changed mine in December.. So threw that money down the drain.. But wasn't going to spend $5k or more in the coming repairs I had on an older truck... Oh well.. Life is good considering what is going on in this world.

Such a beast exists. Lots of lights have cameras that can count cars and cycle based on that. It’s not really AI, per se, but a good use of AI would be to network lights and let the computer figure out the optimal sequencing for the situation. I’m sure someone’s working on that software considering many years ago PennDOT spent a million dollars to “synchronize” the lights on North Atherton and it seems they got nothing but jams for it.
Near me there was a light added on a heavily used local road where it crosses a PA numbered route which is a main commuting artery into Wilmington, DE.

Our swim club was nearby so I drove this route every morning for kid's practices in Summer and still for Costco, doctors etc.

Every time that I pull up, the light changes within 15-20 seconds. It was added so that local folks don't have to take chances- and doesn't seem to care at all about inconveniencing those driving through our Township.

It seems to be sensor driven 24/7.

Are rotors thinner than they used to be? They used to turn them but not any more.
That i what they told me at the shop - thinner rotors on newer cars that can't be turned anymore - more planned obsolescence I guess.

Reactions: bdroc
That i what they told me at the shop - thinner rotors on newer cars that can't be turned anymore - more planned obsolescence I guess.
..and I am seeing a lot of bigger cars moving to turbocharged 4-cylinder engines (3 in smaller cars). I have to believe that this puts a lot more pressure on the engine leading to earlier catastrophic failures. I mean, BMW and Mercedes are putting 4s in X5s and GLEs.

Had to replace my 2016 F150 81K miles-both valve cover gaskets were leaking-Ford back order 3 months and there are no after market valve covers. Bought a new F150 didnt want to--but Ford had 1.9% 6 years on 23's

Just got a $2K dollar annual increase in my Home/Auto policy last week....no claims ever "knock on wood"

Food costs are threw the roof--and hey McDonald's unreal.....

If you want to think the problem has gone away, just don't report on it. Problem solved. Our media would never do something like that.

Reactions: bdroc

Labor rates often make turning rotors not worth it even when they do have a lot of wear left on them. I just prefer to do my own brakes.

Since I cook and do most of the food shopping I know the prices of things.. I am not a cheap person but holy cow... Was at Walmart today and quaker oats rice cakes $3.48 was blown away.. Used to be like $2.24. I shop at Walmart for standard stuff, publix and fresh market weekly..

Can't just repalce valve cover gasket need entire bemmnew valve covers for 3.5....i called around.. I also learned my main bearing seal was going so I said.. Yeah not sinking in anymore money..

Besides Ford dealer telling me and then calling tire plus got same story.. This was in Feb 2024.

I just bought a half gallon of milk, quart of buttermilk, oreos, 2 bags of chocolate chips, 2 lbs of cheese, and iced tea and it was $42. Food prices are out of control.

10 or so years ago, we used to pack a cart to spend $100-$150. Now we are lucky to get out the door for less than $250.

I just bought a half gallon of milk, quart of buttermilk, oreos, 2 bags of chocolate chips, 2 lbs of cheese, and iced tea and it was $42. Food prices are out of control.

10 or so years ago, we used to pack a cart to spend $100-$150. Now we are lucky to get out the door for less than $250.
LOL. I like these big oranges this time of year as the skins are thick. Weird, I know. Anyway, I bought some and they were 4 for $5. My wife was going over the receipt and said "Show me these 'Paris Hilton' oranges you bought. We now call everything expensive "Paris Hilton" like pass me the Paris Hilton baked potato or the Paris Hilton yogurt.

..and I am seeing a lot of bigger cars moving to turbocharged 4-cylinder engines (3 in smaller cars). I have to believe that this puts a lot more pressure on the engine leading to earlier catastrophic failures. I mean, BMW and Mercedes are putting 4s in X5s and GLEs.
Yeah - I have a BMW 530IX and it has a Turbo 4 in it. Some of the 4's have twin turbo's and that is a lot of boost for a 4 cylinder engine.

Reactions: Obliviax
Just got a notice of a 10.7% increase on my auto insurance rate from USAA

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT