ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Gardening help - Habaneros...

MtNittany

May 29, 2001
...so I grew these now huge bushes/trees from seed in 7 gallon grow bags (Orange, White, Lemon, Red, and Chocolate). They're all doing well, but to no surprise the Orange (I think a color more than a flavor, when compared to some of the others) has grown the fastest, as this is what I see in the food stores down here when available.

Question is this - the Orange (maybe 100 peppers right now) don't want to ripen (they remain dark green). I want most of these peppers for a fermentation project (hot sauce) anyway, so should I clip them now and let them ripen inside while freeing up the remaining nutrients for the next crop? This is a very healthy plant.

The others - white and lemon - look like pepperocini's - much lighter in color, but taking their time. Chocolate has yet to show me, but I suspect they'll come out darker in color.

Pretty sure that the peppers' characteristics (heat, flavor) won't change much after you've picked them.

Shameless Plug Coming (and a potential hijack)

Here is a Hot Sauce which I developed. Not a traditional sauce but more of a spicy condiment - great on hotdogs, brats, chicken and just about anything grilled. I prefer the original over the hot since the sauce is really a balance of Mango, sweet (agave nectar and brown sugar) and heat (habanero).

https://wujuhotsauce.com/

If you have peppers the size you like, you can pick them and put them in a paper bag to speed the ripening process. This will also help speed up the ones on the plant as the plant will have less fruit to provide nutrients to. Obviously, the longer you leave it on the plant, the sweeter the pepper will be.

If you have peppers the size you like, you can pick them and put them in a paper bag to speed the ripening process. This will also help speed up the ones on the plant as the plant will have less fruit to provide nutrients to. Obviously, the longer you leave it on the plant, the sweeter the pepper will be.

That's what I'm thinking dwiz. I can pick 50 tomorrow no problem. Should actually help to stagger the yield.

A little on topic: I'm visiting Austin and the big (and I mean BIG) grocery chain here, HEB, is celebrating its annual Hatch chili month. There's not a product in the store that doesn't incorporate these chili's, including gelato. It's quite an event for chili lovers and contributes to the city's quirkiness (in a good way).

Shameless Plug Coming (and a potential hijack)

Here is a Hot Sauce which I developed. Not a traditional sauce but more of a spicy condiment - great on hotdogs, brats, chicken and just about anything grilled. I prefer the original over the hot since the sauce is really a balance of Mango, sweet (agave nectar and brown sugar) and heat (habanero).

https://wujuhotsauce.com/

Rick Bayless has a good habanero recipe. He also gives you a trick to tone down the heat. Cook some carats until they are soft and puree them into the hot sauce. It is really good.

take a couple off, cut an apple in half and toss a few peppers in a paper bag with the apple. The ethylene from the apple will speed up the ripening. Test it out first though. Don't try to do them all at once in case it goes south on you. Be sure to check them daily

Reactions: Nittany Ziggy
1/2 the peppers from one of the plants:

20799886_10155669622444283_63341924375298121_n.jpg

Hatch was at Seaside Market in Cardiff, CA this weekend. They were grilling them outside the store. Smelled really good

It comes down to this. Do you want the maximum number of chiles or do you want the best, most flavorful chiles?

To get the maximum number of chiles, use the Chicago election method. Pick early and often.

To get the best, most flavorful and most nutritious chiles, let them ripen on the plant. I’ve tried many ripening off the vine techniques over the years, and nothing compares to the taste of a scotch bonnet, habanero or any chile ripened on the vine. The off the vine ripening will help to develop the color, but does nothing for developing the flavor. This is the same reason why a lot of grocery produce looks great but tastes flat.They are picked before they are ripe and gassed to change the color.

The only time I ever picked my chiles green is the last harvest before the first frost. At that point I would take all of the green, unripe chiles and make a relish that I would label as Hellish Relish as it would be high on heat, but low on flavor.

My preferred method of preserving chiles are to freeze them. Wash & dry them thoroughly and freeze them on a sheet pan. Once they are frozen solid, put them in a ziploc bag. Chiles are very easy to chop and de-seed when they are frozen solid.

Also, go to your local hardware store and buy a box of latex or nitrile gloves. Double/triple up for safety as sometimes the oils in the very hot chiles can eat through one layer of gloves.

Thanks Manatree...

The ones I clipped were the Orange. They grew way ahead of the others (white, lemon, chocolate, etc.), and I had to do something. The flowers were falling off from lack of nutrients I assume. I have enough for 2 quart jars for fermenting. The others are taking their time and I'll be interested in leaving them on to ripen and use for Jerk Chicken, wing sauces, etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT