ADVERTISEMENT

OT: for Seasoned Citizens only, what was your Selective Service lottery number?

I was #81 in 1972 when I was first eligible. But I went to college and got that deferment, and then the draft ended soon after. I later went into the Air Force as an officer in 1977 and served heroically in San Antonio and the Pentagon for 6 years.

and did it result in you getting drafted?

My birth year (1953) was the last year a lottery was held for. Got #11 :(. Was ready to drop out of PSU, waiting for the "Greetings" letter, when Pres. Nixon stopped the draft only a few months after the lottery.
Also born in '53. My lottery number was 303. If I recall, numbers were filled in the low 200's.

Reactions: step.eng69
I believe 271. Born in 1954. Lost my Selective Service card a long long time ago. Does anyone still have theirs?

223 for me, notices got up to 195 if I recall
Pretty sure you're correct. I was 118 in that first year and entered the Army Reserve after graduation. Thank God our unit never got called up as we'd all be dead right now.

Was drafted the end of 69 as, I arrived in NAM in time to invade Cambodia, May of 70. If I recall my number was in the 70s! At that time I'd already been in a half dozen firefights. Initially thru our bad luck, we encountered NVA several times and garnered a reputation. The reputation resulted in numerous insertions when intel found hot spots. Thing was, because of attrition and casualties, NAM units had constant personnel changes, so how elite could we have been? It's kind of weird, but lately I've thought a lot about the shite I experienced. Folks died on my left and right, yet despite having a rocket propelled grenade hit a tree right next to me and flipping me (backward somersault) and ambushed to many times to count, in nine months in the jungle, I only ended up with a bunch of shrapnel. I attribute it to my guardian angel and my will to live, as if I would have perished it would have killed my parents! Some men kind of killed themselves too. One late afternoon we were setting up and someone saw movement. Our company commander, instead organizing a response, irresponsibly just says, "looks like we have to work for our supper boys!" and just takes off (It was a cluster f$%k) and loses his life. Another time, the guy next to me claims he sees movement after a firefight (he definitely did not, he was just a guy that liked to play war.). He throws a frag, hits a tree, bouncing back killing him. Most of the things I experienced I haven't even shared with my four children!

You say your unit had a reputation. You weren't 1/9 were you?

Born in 54, SS# drawn was 64, sure ticket to Nam. The draft ended before it got to me. I was signed up and ready to go, very surprised that it stopped before I was called. In between, I had an accident that likely would have prevented my drafting anyway but that is not material to this discussion.

Can you imagine the U.S. ever having another draft? I don't think the public would stand for it.

Born in 1956. My number was 179. I was at Lebanon Valley College (a fairly conservative college at the time). The biggest chicken hawk on my floor drew a number 4 and immediately changed his major from business to religion. He insisted that there was no relationship between the 2.

Last edited:
313. I hit on the PA lottery number a couple of times. When I got home from school my mother was in tears. Tears of joy. I don't remember but was the thing televised? She knew before my Dad who served in Korea.

Born in 1956. My number was 179. I was at Lebanon Calley College (a fairly conservative college at the time). The biggest chicken hawk on my floor drew a number 4 and immediately changed his major from business to religion. He insisted that there was no relationship between the 2.
That is an interesting issue. I come from a religion of conscientious objection and had an older brother avoid Nam through that route. I signed up as a corpsman type class, avoiding the part objectionable to religion but still risking myself. I felt it my duty at the time, still do.

Some of the biggest hawks seem to shrink when the light of duty shine into their corner of the world. Big talk, small man.

Was over 300 and would not have been called, but was in Army ROTC, stayed in, and was commissioned a 2LT on graduation day.

My birth year (1953) was the last year a lottery was held for. Got #11 :(. Was ready to drop out of PSU, waiting for the "Greetings" letter, when Pres. Nixon stopped the draft only a few months after the lottery.

I was home from Nam when the lottery began, but I have twin cousins and their birthday came up #1. Both joined the navy.

Graduated in 1966 with an Army ROTC commission. Officer basic at Fort Sill as an artillery officer, Fort Knox Armor school in an artillery Battalion that supported the school mission, Vietnam in all of 1968 and then discharged.
Wrote my memoirs for a book titled "The Boys of Battery B" authored by a member of the battery who become a writer. Amazon for less than $20 bucks, the profit goes to a military cause. I was the Battery XO during the autumn months of 1968.

194, Wanted to join SEABEES , had to wait 1 1/2 years, joined Air Force , made me a Heavy Equipment Operator , ended up training with the Navy at SEABEE school , Port Hueneme Cal. anyway go figure . I didn't choose this field, highest score was electronics. I had no issue with being drafted just didn't want to hang around and wait, plus if you were 1 A forget about employment.

When you go for your physical , i went to Wilkes - Barre, you know it's some serious stuff going down.
Red horse? My dad was triple nickel. My brother and I are both Seabees.

That is an interesting issue. I come from a religion of conscientious objection and had an older brother avoid Nam through that route. I signed up as a corpsman type class, avoiding the part objectionable to religion but still risking myself. I felt it my duty at the time, still do.

Some of the biggest hawks seem to shrink when the light of duty shine into their corner of the world. Big talk, small man.
I will tell you, the medics were the bravest SOBs I've ever been around. No particular one, they all just went to the guy(s) that was hit. Did not matter how much fire power was being directed at them. Each and every one could/should have been awarded at least Silver Stars routinely!

My # was 103, but the Vietnam War was coming to an end the year I graduated from PSU, so I escaped being called up (I had a 1H deferment). My roommate, the year prior, was one year senior to me and had draft #8. He got his draft notice six weeks prior to graduating from PSU. Earlier in the year, he was offered a chance to go to OCS from a couple of services (a five-year commitment IIRC) but he turned those down so went in to do his time in the U.S. Army as a soldier (two-year obligation IIRC).

My 18-year-old son, coincidentally, got his Selective Service card in the mail today! :eek:

Last edited:
Born in early 75. Registered in late 74 and received a Draft Card, but pretty sure there was no drawing that year.
I didn’t live far from the NY state line at the time. Draft cards were widely used “proof” for NY’s 18 drinking age. Had my card maybe a month before someone stole it out of my wallet during basketball practice.

Mine was #10. Born in 1950. Was drafted & served in Colorado & Chicago for 20 months. Was given a 4 month early-out when Nixon began to pull soldiers out.

Moved back to Lancaster County in November 1971. Started at main campus in fall of 1972. Back then, PA residents who re-established residence within 6 months were eligible for free tuition at any state school. With that & the GI Bill I received a free BS from PSU in 1976.

Getting drafted was one of the best things that ever happened to me. In 1970 race relations were tenuous at best. Hippies had the long hair. Bell bottoms and paisley shirts were everywhere. The drug culture was becoming more widespread.

In boot camp we all had the same hair style and got our clothes at the same clothing line. I learned to judge people by their actions and not their appearance. I also learned I was capable of doing much more when pushed then I thought possible.

Ended up marrying a Cornell grad. We’ve had 39 great years together so far. Three great kids who all know how to handle money and are good people. 3 new grandkids all under 17 months! Who knew what a top 10 draft number could turn into.

Very Thankful this Thanksgiving!

Last edited:
Reactions: Snow Shoe Lion
Born in 54 and draft number was 64. Thankfully the draft was inactive but numbers were chosen. My draft card resides in a clip with my PSU ID and original LCB card.

I will tell you, the medics were the bravest SOBs I've ever been around. No particular one, they all just went to the guy(s) that was hit. Did not matter how much fire power was being directed at them. Each and every one could/should have been awarded at least Silver Stars routinely!
I heard similar stories about medics. Also that the enemies targeted them. The thinking was killing a medic may kill another half dozen more soldiers on the field of unattended wounds. I can't say I knew it at the time I signed the paper but over time I learned it as fact. Many now rest in foreign soil as a result of the valor shown to rescue and treat their fellow soldiers. War is hell no matter how you slice it up. That is why I segment the combat vet a level above any other form of vet there is. When your life is on the line yet you remain steadfast to your platoon under fire, it is a service above and beyond that which most will ever experience or thankfully every know. They all deserve our heartfelt thanks and honor. Corpsmen/medics are fully in that segment.

Born in 1951, was in college with a student deferment when they had the first draft lottery. I came up with 279, so I bailed on the 2-S deferment and dropped to 1-A. They never got close to me, so I was golden after that.

#81 in 1973......As previously stated Tricky Dickie ended the draft so I was able to complete my illustrious undergrad college career.

I was 1A in 1967 which was pre-lottery number days. Back then we carried both our draft card and classification card as ID.

I literally got mine three months before the bombings in Beirut Lebanon. No, I don't remember the number or where it ended up in my parents house. I'm sure if I call my 83-year-old mom she'll have it on the kitchen table in less than a day or two.

My number was 112 and had been called, when I graduated from PSU in '71. Congress did not reauthorize the draft that summer, but I knew I would be gone when they did. That happened the end of August or early September. I cleverly found a way to dodge the draft. I enlisted. At this point OCS was basically shut down as the war was winding down. Since I had a degree in Law Enforcement and Corrections, I decided to be an MP. I was placed into the delayed enlistment program to get a waiver because I was a half inch too short to be an MP. I enrolled in Penn State with a one credit phys ed class for the next two quarters and got my old job back on campus as a night receptionist in a woman's dorm, 40 hours a week. (Best job I ever had.) By the time my guaranteed first duty station time was up, the war was basically over, so enlisting for the extra year probably saved my life.

I got into several arguments later in life with my father because he told people I was in the Vietnam War. I have never claimed that and never will. I don't believe my service in any way compares to those who saw combat. I am in awe of those people. I don't want to imagine what they went through. There was no rear area for R&R. And unlike troops today, there was little civilian respect or support for what they went through. Movies and TV shows portrayed them as damaged goods. They get my upmost respect.

Reactions: MrDibbs
My number was 112 and had been called, when I graduated from PSU in '71. Congress did not reauthorize the draft that summer, but I knew I would be gone when they did. That happened the end of August or early September. I cleverly found a way to dodge the draft. I enlisted. At this point OCS was basically shut down as the war was winding down. Since I had a degree in Law Enforcement and Corrections, I decided to be an MP. I was placed into the delayed enlistment program to get a waiver because I was a half inch too short to be an MP. I enrolled in Penn State with a one credit phys ed class for the next two quarters and got my old job back on campus as a night receptionist in a woman's dorm, 40 hours a week. (Best job I ever had.) By the time my guaranteed first duty station time was up, the war was basically over, so enlisting for the extra year probably saved my life.

I got into several arguments later in life with my father because he told people I was in the Vietnam War. I have never claimed that and never will. I don't believe my service in any way compares to those who saw combat. I am in awe of those people. I don't want to imagine what they went through. There was no rear area for R&R. And unlike troops today, there was little civilian respect or support for what they went through. Movies and TV shows portrayed them as damaged goods. They get my upmost respect.

I would like to hear from Vets regarding “ Nicks Seaside Pavilion “ which was located in Yorktown, Va.
Nick and his wife Mary were two great Americans that came to U.S, from Greece.
They went out of their way to give special treatment to servicemen including me and shipmates that dined in their restaurant.
They were given the honor of christening the USS Yorktown in 1983. A significant honor for ordinary citizens.

I would like to hear from Vets regarding “ Nicks Seaside Pavilion “ which was located in Yorktown, Va.
Nick and his wife Mary were two great Americans that came to U.S, from Greece.
They went out of their way to give special treatment to servicemen including me and shipmates that dined in their restaurant.
They were given the honor of christening the USS Yorktown in 1983. A significant honor for ordinary citizens.
I was a junior in 1969 when they had the first lottery, scheduled to graduate in June 1971. My number was 54. I grew up in a blue collar neighborhood and a few friends had already been to Viet Nam. They told me don't go Army or Marines. So I put my name on the wait list for the Navy reserves and took the aptitude test for the Air Force. In January 1971, 6 months before graduation, I got called in for the Navy physical and to sign up. It seemed like a lucky break, but the timing was not good. I flunked the Navy physical because of a knee injury that happened in an intramural B-ball game. Don't steal the ball from a football player and try to dunk on the fast break. I graduated June 19, 1971 and the draft law was suspended June 30. When it was re-authorized for January 1972, they decided to not draft the guys whose number came up in 1971.
Two ironies. First I was later called in for the Army physical and they passed me. Second, a guy I knew did join the Navy reserves and ended up as a corpsman with the Marines in Viet Nam.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT