ADVERTISEMENT

OT: for retired posters, how\when did you make decision to retire?

Retirement.....I have always planned to work till 70......less hours of course.... because I want to collect full retirement SS and work....double dip. As life passes thru time I find my role within the family unit changing as well. At 20 I was the muscle....At 40 I was the decision maker....now I have little muscle and my decisions are outdated..,...so now my role is financial..,.supply the needed funds for family members. So yes...after all the health issues I have survived I still work to help enable the dreams of children and grandchildren to become reality.

I’ve given this thought. My wife and I have taken a seminar and we discuss annually with my financial advisor. The most difficult part of the equation, at least for me, is how long we expect to live. If this date was fixed and known, the math would be easy. I don’t want to end up living in the poor house so I’ll plan on living until I’m 90, even though I don’t expect to live that long. Retirement age will depend a lot on my wife and her parents and work. I’m hoping to semi retire: quit the rat race, move to Montana (or someplace else more outdoorsy) and work some simple job to bridge until retirement. My wife’s parents are in their late 70’s and early 80’s, and she doesn’t want to leave them. She is also tied to a teacher’s pension and wants to stay until either she gets 20 years or they offer an early retirement incentive. If we can’t semiretire, then I’ll likely work until I’m 65 and my wife will retire at the same time (she thinks she is retiring earlier, but I’m older so that won’t fly).

Reactions: GregInPitt
I retired last week. I was going to keep my job primarily for the health insurance, but in my state that only means about $11k/year until Medicare. My retirement nest egg goal was $3 million, and even if my accounts tank by 75% in a major recession, I should be above that minimum.

The recent thread on shaving brought up thoughts of retirement. I am 53 and had the idea of my wife and I retiring around 60 so that we can hopefully travel while we are still pretty mobile. Mobile meaning able to take long hikes, kayaking, boating, etc. I feel like we are currently in a good place financially with retirement accounts and kids will be be off our payroll 2-3 years before 60. How did you make the decision on whether to retire or not? I will most likely take on some consulting work in my retire years to keep the brain functioning and some travel and spoil the grand kids income but just curious on how one determines that they are ready for retirement(financially and mentally) and what gave you the confidence to actually make the commitment to retire. Thanks.

How did you make the decision on whether to retire or not? The decision to retire was rather simple. One, I had reached age 60 (eligible for full retirement). Second, going to work was becoming a job (aka intolerable) and no longer an enjoyment (aka hobby). Don't regret leaving early for one minute.

Family plan on Obamacare is about 3k/month, high deductible and copays. Ain't pretty.

Spend 20 years in the military and you to could have full health coverage for you and your spouse for around $600/year. I'm 56 and at 62 iff not earlier I'm out and never looking back. Oh and my 2007 Honda Civic has 418000 miles on it and still running strong.

Spend 20 years in the military and you to could have full health coverage for you and your spouse for around $600/year. I'm 56 and at 62 iff not earlier I'm out and never looking back. Oh and my 2007 Honda Civic has 418000 miles on it and still running strong.

You should contact Honda about that, they're probably give you a new car eventually if you let them use your example in ads. 418 K is almost to the Moon and back.

You are absolutely right about getting old. I had a much easier road than you. My cancer cost me a kidney, but I otherwise came through okay physically. I think the biggest impact was working through the idea that there was something inside me trying to kill me, and I may not live to experience a lot of things I was looking forward to. I had just turned 50, and my son was 7. (Long story - two hard charging professionals married with no intention having kids...things change...) It made me think of how I wanted to spend whatever time I had left, be it days or decades, and I never shook it.

These days, I do volunteer work, am a baseball and band dad, study things that interest me, golf, exercise and am rediscovering a love for the outdoors. That's on top of spending time with my wife and son and taking care of the house. The only thing I would change is my waistline - too much snacking and not enough exercise. I'm working on that.

Dave, Oakton, VA by chance?

Dave, Oakton, VA by chance?

I haven't lived there since 2005, but, yes, Oakton, VA. I had a townhouse in Oakton for 13 years and was there in the mid-90's when I started with the board, thus the name. After a few moves associated with my wife's career, we've been in Fairfax the last 12 years.

I haven't lived there since 2005, but, yes, Oakton, VA. I had a townhouse in Oakton for 13 years and was there in the mid-90's when I started with the board, thus the name. After a few moves associated with my wife's career, we've been in Fairfax the last 12 years.

I'm in Leesburg since 2002, before that as a bachelor all over Northern VA since 1986 including Reston, Falls Church, Annandale, and Mclean.

Love the area, it's been good to me in the tech sector, but can't wait to retire and get out of this cost of living and traffic during non-Covid. Northern VA has just exploded everywhere in the last 20 years. Lots of opportunity but lots of mess too.

My wife and I are constantly thinking of where to retire where cost of living, taxes, politics, healthcare, golf, and proximity of our children will matter. We remained stumped but I'm sure the answer will come. I'm probably in a 4-5 year window, much of that will be decided by the potential acquisition of a start up company my wife works for. If it happens, retirement will be immediate due to that homerun pay-off.

At 65 you have to apply for Medicare. My insurance will be covered in retirement via unused sick leave over the years. I will still be on my wife’s insurance also.
Actually, you don't if your employer has a qualified health care plan. You can defer until retirement.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread. This kind of discussion is one of the best things about this board. I am not quite at retirement time but I am close enough to be thinking about it pretty seriously. All of the wisdom shared herein is incredibly beneficial. Thank you.

Been giving this one a ton of thought (just turned 56). Youngest is a senior in college... Last year I worked with a couple of "retirement planning" firms to develop recommendations for me. Based on the retirement budget that I put together, I got independent confirmations that I should be in good shape by 60/61. Couple of random thoughts:

1) There is no "one size fits all" rule (4%, 25X salary, etc). I currently provide a decent level of support to my adult children which will disappear shortly, and should be in a position to have no mortgage payments by that time. Thus, I firmly believe that I won't need 80-120% of current income in retirement, since my expenses will go down drastically (and yeah, health insurance will be tough as others have said).

2) This is one that I could never understand. The financial planners who I have spoken to all base their models on the following assumption: You are going to need $80K (or any other number) at your retirement age, and this will increase 2-3% per year until you die. Is it me, or is that a ridiculous assumption? If I live to 90 (I likely won't), I sure as heck won't be travelling / fishing / spending money like I did in the first 10 years of retirement. Would be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Lastly, the financial planning guys also tell me to get long-term care insurance, so you might want to factor that. Sorry for the rambling.

I had an interested nag talk with a PT bus driver in West Virginia. It was just me and him in the rig taking me to my complex. He sold his business in 2011 and have a Florida home outside Vero beach and did very well for themselves. They got bored of retirement and started to transport cars/light trucks up and down the east coast. They love it and get drive clunkers to porche’s weekly. He said they have been to 48 states. Sounds ideal to me when I retire.

I'm probably the outcast. 62 and never married. I was going to 64, however, knee issues. Sold the business and this will be my last year of work. I worked with an Edward Jones guy and he plotted everything out. Get a good financial consultant. By the way I live a modest life in Iowa...... different then costs on the east coast. Good luck.

My wife and I are constantly thinking of where to retire where cost of living, taxes, politics, healthcare, golf, and proximity of our children will matter. We remained stumped but I'm sure the answer will come. I'm probably in a 4-5 year window, much of that will be decided by the potential acquisition of a start up company my wife works for. If it happens, retirement will be immediate due to that homerun pay-off.

My son is in a great high school (WT Woodson), and we have so many friends and other attachments that it would be hard to leave. Having access to the medical facilities at Walter Reed and Fort Belvoir has also been a God send, so that's a consideration. We've talked about a couple possible places well down the road, but I think the only thing we have decided is that we're not going back to either of our home states - PA and CA.

Last edited:
A few years ago, early 40s. Military retirement achieved. Wife and I had accumulated more than we needed through rental properties and investments. Technically I still manage 3 of the properties myself but we are basically retired. Hike, kayak, travel (although that was reduced some this year), workout, take classes, volunteer, help family. There were many personal sacrifices along the way but we really love the freedom we have now.

Been giving this one a ton of thought (just turned 56). Youngest is a senior in college... Last year I worked with a couple of "retirement planning" firms to develop recommendations for me. Based on the retirement budget that I put together, I got independent confirmations that I should be in good shape by 60/61. Couple of random thoughts:

1) There is no "one size fits all" rule (4%, 25X salary, etc). I currently provide a decent level of support to my adult children which will disappear shortly, and should be in a position to have no mortgage payments by that time. Thus, I firmly believe that I won't need 80-120% of current income in retirement, since my expenses will go down drastically (and yeah, health insurance will be tough as others have said).

2) This is one that I could never understand. The financial planners who I have spoken to all base their models on the following assumption: You are going to need $80K (or any other number) at your retirement age, and this will increase 2-3% per year until you die. Is it me, or is that a ridiculous assumption? If I live to 90 (I likely won't), I sure as heck won't be travelling / fishing / spending money like I did in the first 10 years of retirement. Would be interested in others' thoughts on this.

Lastly, the financial planning guys also tell me to get long-term care insurance, so you might want to factor that. Sorry for the rambling.
The annual 2-3% annual increase is likely to account for inflation. The 4% is as foolproof as anything I've seen, but as you said nothing is perfect. That rule relies on calculating your budget correctly and determining your required nest egg total needed to retire. If done correctly, and the 4% rule is followed properly, monte carlo simulations have shown it to be a pretty successful approach. Of course there's always a chance of a dramatic change in the markets at some point in the future that is worse than anything in history that foils the whole thing.

My career at Penelec involved the specifation, installation, and maintenance of 3 industrial control/automation computer systems. The last involved a complex of 4 different sites and I was involved from the very beginning in late 1985 up until my retirement at the end of 2004. I was asked to be involved in another system, but did not feel like dedicating my life to learning an entirely new system at that time

Reactions: TheBigUglies
Retired at 56 years but didn’t really want to. I loved my job, had just received a promotion and the people I associated with were wonderful. It was long hours each week, but very enjoyable. I retired to assist my aging parents and help them with their daily struggles. Dad lasted two years and mom, two years three months. I’m so glad I made that decision and was able be there for them and give some support to the greatest two people I have ever known.

Last edited:
Retired at 56 years but didn’t really want to. I loved my job, had just received a promotion and the people I associated with were wonderful. It was long hours each week, but very enjoyable. I retired to assist my aging parents and help them with their daily struggles. Dad lasted two years and mom, two years three months. I’m so glad I made that decision and was able be there for them and give some support to the greatest two people I have ever known.
You’re a good man.

A few years ago, early 40s. Military retirement achieved. Wife and I had accumulated more than we needed through rental properties and investments. Technically I still manage 3 of the properties myself but we are basically retired. Hike, kayak, travel (although that was reduced some this year), workout, take classes, volunteer, help family. There were many personal sacrifices along the way but we really love the freedom we have now.
God for you. This will be my path. We own four rental properties outright and I’ll found my time maintaining them along with, hopefully, more time for recreation

God for you. This will be my path. We own four rental properties outright and I’ll found my time maintaining them along with, hopefully, more time for recreation
The military either put you up in their housing on post for free or gave you a housing allowance to go out on the market. Those taking the housing allowance often rented. I took the money, bought a house each time and lived in it for 2-3 years, and then rented it out when I had a new assignment. When they are all paid off (another 10 years until the last one is) the additional retirement revenue that they generate will be higher than my military pension. I just keep adding onto the brokerage accounts until I guess we decide that we want to do more than we are happy doing right now. And property equity is being grown by the tenants.

I posted this once before and others called me a slum lord but that is far from the case. I provide nice homes that I lived in myself for fair market rent and am good to my tenants who mostly all have been very good people because I chose houses in great neighborhoods. I don't nickel and dime people. I want them to be happy, treat my properties like home, and then decide to stay as long as possible. You and the tenant gain more by reducing turnover and taking care of the place. I even send a Xmas gift to the tenants. One tenant a few years ago was going to be late on rent for the 2nd December in a row. I realized that the guy wasn't managing his money well and would be strapped around the holidays. So I restructured his lease so that there was no rent due in December and just spread what would have been the December rent to the other 11 months. It worked well for him for a couple of years before he eventually moved with a new job.

25x salary is a bit too generic of a rule of thumb for my liking. With some made up numbers... if you make $100k that rule states you need about $2.5M to retire. But the retirement age and spending budget is vital too. If you have a low budget and live in a low cost of living area $2.5M might be enough to retire at age 50 if you follow the 4% withdrawal rule. But if you are a spender in a HCOL area that amount might not be enough until age 60 or 65. That's a huge variance that should give pause to anyone using that high level of an assumption to make decisions.

There are a ton of FIRE (financial independence retire early) calculators out there that will factor in income, budget, savings, inflation, age, lifespan, etc. They are really worth looking at, particularly if you are considering retiring early. I'm a fan of this one. https://engaging-data.com/will-money-last-retire-early/. The one in the quoted post is also a good one.

If you do plan to retire early, it's also crucially important to know where your income will come from before you have access to retirement accounts like IRAs and 401ks that have restrictions until you reach age 59.5. This is less of a concern if you are following a more traditional retirement age.
Ya, man. My wife and I both work and do pretty well. We have a decent portfolio and my wife will get her PA teacher pension. We are somewhat thrifty. We tend to spend on nice vacations but don’t spend a ton on fancy clothes, cars or other creature comforts. For example, I’ve been debating for months if I should drop a few hundred on a new fly rod! If we are waiting to have 25x our current salary in investments I may retire when I’m about 130.

My wife will retire as soon as her full pension kicks in, which is 57. She plans to do something part time for at least a few years. I would like to retire in my early 60’s, but we shall see. I think my fate will be like many men I know in that age group. They get downsized a few years prior to retiring, but can’t find a suitable position when they are say 61 and wanting to work for 3-4 more years. I would love to retire at 55, but that would require a massive change in lifestyle and I think I would be bored! If I had nearly unlimited funds I would not be bored, but that’s another story.

The annual 2-3% annual increase is likely to account for inflation. The 4% is as foolproof as anything I've seen, but as you said nothing is perfect. That rule relies on calculating your budget correctly and determining your required nest egg total needed to retire. If done correctly, and the 4% rule is followed properly, monte carlo simulations have shown it to be a pretty successful approach. Of course there's always a chance of a dramatic change in the markets at some point in the future that is worse than anything in history that foils the whole thing.
Yup, understood about inflation. I probably wasn't clear - what I think is crazy (but I understand why financial planners do this), is that my annual spending at age 90 will be the same (adjusted for inflation) as it is in my 60s. At 90 I will likely be shuffling around my garden in my slippers, not spending much on anything besides healthcare.

In other words, planners assume a straight line model of annual expenses (adjusted for inflation) in retirement, and I don't believe that models reality.

Reactions: bison13
The military either put you up in their housing on post for free or gave you a housing allowance to go out on the market. Those taking the housing allowance often rented. I took the money, bought a house each time and lived in it for 2-3 years, and then rented it out when I had a new assignment. When they are all paid off (another 10 years until the last one is) the additional retirement revenue that they generate will be higher than my military pension. I just keep adding onto the brokerage accounts until I guess we decide that we want to do more than we are happy doing right now. And property equity is being grown by the tenants.

I posted this once before and others called me a slum lord but that is far from the case. I provide nice homes that I lived in myself for fair market rent and am good to my tenants who mostly all have been very good people because I chose houses in great neighborhoods. I don't nickel and dime people. I want them to be happy, treat my properties like home, and then decide to stay as long as possible. You and the tenant gain more by reducing turnover and taking care of the place. I even send a Xmas gift to the tenants. One tenant a few years ago was going to be late on rent for the 2nd December in a row. I realized that the guy wasn't managing his money well and would be strapped around the holidays. So I restructured his lease so that there was no rent due in December and just spread what would have been the December rent to the other 11 months. It worked well for him for a couple of years before he eventually moved with a new job.

I have always wanted to be able to purchase investment properties but never had the cash on hand that would make the investment worth while.(my calcs would always have too much mortgage debt which would not make it a good investment which led me to the conclusion that you need a good amount of cash down to make it worth while). I think having a few investment properties makes a lot of sense for extra retirement income. Real Estate values usually double in about 12 - 17 years. Our first house was a row house in a philly suburb that we paid $85K for in 1991. They are now selling for $240K, for a friggin' row house!!! The other thing is picking the right location for the investment, thinking about downtown State College, there seems to be a lot of vacant rentals due to all the highrises going in with newer amenities.

I have always wanted to be able to purchase investment properties but never had the cash on hand that would make the investment worth while.(my calcs would always have too much mortgage debt which would not make it a good investment which led me to the conclusion that you need a good amount of cash down to make it worth while). I think having a few investment properties makes a lot of sense for extra retirement income. Real Estate values usually double in about 12 - 17 years. Our first house was a row house in a philly suburb that we paid $85K for in 1991. They are now selling for $240K, for a friggin' row house!!! The other thing is picking the right location for the investment, thinking about downtown State College, there seems to be a lot of vacant rentals due to all the highrises going in with newer amenities.
I don't have any properties but I like the idea of it, my risk tolerance just isn't sufficient to pull the trigger. My other issue is that I live in a very hot real estate market with dramatic year over year growth. It takes more money to get a property here, and the competition for good rental properties is fierce with cash buyers from all over the world buying up properties here.

I think the advantage you are overlooking is the ability to leverage money and use the debt to your advantage, particularly with mortgage rates as low as they are. I don't think the people that are buying up a bunch of properties are focused on large down payments, they are more focused on the monthly cash flow to make sure the investment makes sense. If you have the financial means to take out several mortgages and are confident you can keep the properties occupied, the tenants pay your mortgage payments for you while you build equity and also hopefully see the value of the properties increase over time. Putting more money down to lessen the risk of ending up with mortgage payments that you can't handle comes at the expense of leveraging debt to invest in more properties. I think those that are doing it well are putting down minimum payments so they can take on more properties and leverage their money even further.

I strongly suggest that you first alphabetize your wife's spice rack. If she does not kill you, and you do not kill yourself, the time is ok.

• Haha
Might be interested in this from Tiger Woods' former caddie. Don't miss tour one bit. On other hand, he is doing a lot now.

I don't have any properties but I like the idea of it, my risk tolerance just isn't sufficient to pull the trigger. My other issue is that I live in a very hot real estate market with dramatic year over year growth. It takes more money to get a property here, and the competition for good rental properties is fierce with cash buyers from all over the world buying up properties here.

I think the advantage you are overlooking is the ability to leverage money and use the debt to your advantage, particularly with mortgage rates as low as they are. I don't think the people that are buying up a bunch of properties are focused on large down payments, they are more focused on the monthly cash flow to make sure the investment makes sense. If you have the financial means to take out several mortgages and are confident you can keep the properties occupied, the tenants pay your mortgage payments for you while you build equity and also hopefully see the value of the properties increase over time. Putting more money down to lessen the risk of ending up with mortgage payments that you can't handle comes at the expense of leveraging debt to invest in more properties. I think those that are doing it well are putting down minimum payments so they can take on more properties and leverage their money even further.
You are correct about leveraging but obviously the more you leverage the more risk you assume. Here are my thoughts for anyone looking to do this and I mean anyone because I didn't start out with much.

Invest in the market first to build up money that can be used for properties, decide on your target market, buy the neighborhood even more so than the home, don't buy with emotional attachment but rather with a investor's mindset, leverage to the point that you are able and with which you are comfortable, determine cash flow viability first and then estimate long term ROI, manage as many of the properties yourself, keep tenants happy and the property looking good.

1) I lived like a college kid for a few years after commissioning so most of my money went into mutual funds at the time and had built up about a $10k bank account for emergencies. I was so frugal that I slept on the floor of my first place in my military issued sleeping bag for over a month before I bought a bedroom suite that I liked at a very low price. You may not go this extreme but it helped me get the funds to buy my first property pretty early despite not having any money coming out of college. In my view, it's important to continue investing in the market heavily early in your life even while buying rental properties. You don't want all of your eggs in one basket.

2) Decide on your target market. For me that was people like me. Some people like low end properties or to stuff as many college kids in a place as legally allowed because it may have higher margins. It also has higher headaches. I chose properties that would be desirable to young professionals, young couples, retirees downsizing that didn't want to do spend their time with outside maintenance, etc. These segments generally pay their rent on time and make the place a home therefore keeping it nice and letting me know if there are issues that I should address. They are also easier with which to work and don't leave the place in complete shambles as much when they move out. You never know exactly but spending a lot of effort on finding the right tenants in saves you so much effort down the line.

3) Buy neighborhoods even more so than the home. I look for desirable neighborhoods within short walking distances from nice amenities. Right near a park, a short walk to the elementary or middle school, short walk to movie theater, easy commute to the bigger employers, etc. When people buy houses to live in for a long time these things are important but not as important as the house itself. I think for rental properties it is almost more important than the house. Prospective tenants that fit my target market start looking in these neighborhoods until they find a suitable house to rent.

4) Buy with an investor's mindset and without emotional attachment. I wanted the best value for my money not the house that had the most. This was easy to do as a young guy buying a place to live in for 2 to 3 years before I met my wife. Perhaps it's my bias showing but wives (mine in particular) buy with emotional attachment. They see the perfect house, envision living in it, and then pay what the seller wants to secure that vision. My vision was to conduct some market research before hand and determine the best neighborhoods, see as many houses as possible in those neighborhoods, build a spreadsheet outlining their number of bedrooms, baths, square footage, age, previous selling points and dates, and then do my own market comps by looking up sales of all of the other houses in the neighborhood. I then used this information to determine my price for each house that I saw and prioritized which houses would best perform as a rental (how much rent does it command, how easy would it be to rent and maintain it, what is the trend in the value of the property, is it a style that will be as desirable 10 years from now or is it a trendy fad style that limits the number of potential renters?). Now I start with my top prioritized home that I saw and put in a low but potentially negotiating worthy offer. If the owner is offended, then I didn't waste their or my time and we can both move on. If they do negotiate, I stay pretty low. If not this house, I have probably at least 10 more that I saw that meet my needs. I settle fast and that is what many sellers are looking for based on their needs so often they are willing to accept a lower offer. There are lots of people that prioritize selling and closing fast and I would love to give that to them at the right value. This is an investment.

4) Leverage to the point you are comfortable. I never go above 20% and used my VA loan with 0 down. My 2nd property was only 10% and took on PMI but I only did that because I was still very young and building up my funds so I didn't want to break into my investments in the market. I wouldn't pay PMI if you have the funds available to avoid it. It's a cash flow depressor and significantly reduces the long term ROI for the investment. Some people over leverage themselves and that is easy to do if you bought properties that don't rent easily. Turnover happens and if you are over leveraged and not bringing in rent then you could put yourself in a bind. I was very aggressive when I was younger and some of my philosophies and maybe good fortune allowed me to do that successfully.

5) Positive cash flow is critical. I bought and lived in places for 2-3 years but always had tenants lined up before I moved. Some of that was buying the right properties. Some was advertising and curb appeal. Some was knowing the market and the transient nature of either living near a military installation or a major university. Both of those locations have very well defined rental cycles. The bulk of the people in those locations move in the summer and a second smaller push in the winter. So you have to do a full court press at those times. If you are buying a rental property in an area that isn't as cyclical then you need a different strategy. Fortunately, I always capitalize on the boom of the cycle because I bought properties in the most desirable neighborhoods, close to amenities, and bought at a value that I could offer a reasonable rent. So I often line up as many as a dozen prospective tenants for the same day showing in half hour increments. Usually at least half want to rent the well maintained property and many fill out the rental application before leaving often as the next prospective tenant showing starts. So I do background checks and determine the best fit as soon as possible and lock them into a year or 2 year lease. I often prioritize how long they are willing to commit because turnover kills cash flow and adds expenses. I look for properties that maximize cash flow by limiting time not rented, limiting turnover, buying at a strong value (low cost relative to rent potential), reducing monthly costs, and hopefully self-managed or close to my dad who managed some properties as well. The stronger your positive cash flow the more you reduce your risk should turnover occur and you don't immediately get someone in there. Lastly, you do want to have chosen a property that will increase in value over time.

6) Self-manage or you better have someone you trust managing it. Large property management companies don't have the same level of interest in your property that you do. Maintenance, tenant filling, holding tenants accountable for non-normal wear and tear damages, etc. can be bad with a large company. They may prefer to steer a tenant to another property first because it makes them more money. I have a buddy that I worked with who had new carpet throughout when he left a place and the property management company told him he had to replace them after the first tenants moved out a year later and they hadn't retained any of the security deposit. Plus, you or someone you trust can often do repairs, turnover cleaning, and advertising/showing much cheaper and better than a large property management company.

7) Keep the tenants happy, don't nickel and dime them, and keep the property maintained. Every turnover costs you. You want happy tenants staying as long as possible and making the place home. In addition to all I mentioned in a post above, I also don't raise rent on people usually for 3 to 5 years. Eventually you may have to maintain the strong cash flow needed to keep it going successfully. But raising rent sucks and you might drive unnecessary turnover that will cost more than the additional rent you are trying to pull. You can advertise at a higher rent after someone moves and bring in new tenants that find that to be a reasonable rent. But mostly, I want good people happy to stay, paying their rent consistently, making the place a home and letting me know when something might need fixed or replaced, and wanting to leave the place as they found it when it's time to move.

Now admittingly I had some major advantages getting started. I didn't marry early in my career and so I could invest heavily, build up funds, live on less, buy houses with an investor's mindset, etc. I also was receiving non-taxable housing pay based on rental rates in the area I was stationed from the military which I invested in properties. I also deployed a few times in which I both received housing pay AND rented my property at the same time plus combat pay. It was like a nitro boost to funding my next property purchase. My dad was a huge help to me particularly while I was deployed or half way across the country in the military. He managed properties and is extremely handy, much more than I. I still give him 10% of rental incomes even though I do it all now but he helped me build it. But some others have other advantages, maybe they are more established, know their market because they've lived there 30 years, had more money to start out investing than I did coming out of college with basically nothing. Good luck if pursuing this investment type and let us know how you make out.

I was thinking about it for about a year nad had decided to retire at some point in the middle of the next year. My employer had a change at the top and I did not want to go through that again. I had been through 3-4 of those during my career. I had enough and I didn’t want to do it any more or put up with it anymore. I had a financial plan in place and my wife who is younger wanted to and continues to work. Bottom line I had had enough!
PS. Best career decision I ever made! It’s been three years now and no regrets.

Reactions: FHSPSU67
You are correct about leveraging but obviously the more you leverage the more risk you assume. Here are my thoughts for anyone looking to do this and I mean anyone because I didn't start out with much.

Invest in the market first to build up money that can be used for properties, decide on your target market, buy the neighborhood even more so than the home, don't buy with emotional attachment but rather with a investor's mindset, leverage to the point that you are able and with which you are comfortable, determine cash flow viability first and then estimate long term ROI, manage as many of the properties yourself, keep tenants happy and the property looking good.

1) I lived like a college kid for a few years after commissioning so most of my money went into mutual funds at the time and had built up about a $10k bank account for emergencies. I was so frugal that I slept on the floor of my first place in my military issued sleeping bag for over a month before I bought a bedroom suite that I liked at a very low price. You may not go this extreme but it helped me get the funds to buy my first property pretty early despite not having any money coming out of college. In my view, it's important to continue investing in the market heavily early in your life even while buying rental properties. You don't want all of your eggs in one basket.

2) Decide on your target market. For me that was people like me. Some people like low end properties or to stuff as many college kids in a place as legally allowed because it may have higher margins. It also has higher headaches. I chose properties that would be desirable to young professionals, young couples, retirees downsizing that didn't want to do spend their time with outside maintenance, etc. These segments generally pay their rent on time and make the place a home therefore keeping it nice and letting me know if there are issues that I should address. They are also easier with which to work and don't leave the place in complete shambles as much when they move out. You never know exactly but spending a lot of effort on finding the right tenants in saves you so much effort down the line.

3) Buy neighborhoods even more so than the home. I look for desirable neighborhoods within short walking distances from nice amenities. Right near a park, a short walk to the elementary or middle school, short walk to movie theater, easy commute to the bigger employers, etc. When people buy houses to live in for a long time these things are important but not as important as the house itself. I think for rental properties it is almost more important than the house. Prospective tenants that fit my target market start looking in these neighborhoods until they find a suitable house to rent.

4) Buy with an investor's mindset and without emotional attachment. I wanted the best value for my money not the house that had the most. This was easy to do as a young guy buying a place to live in for 2 to 3 years before I met my wife. Perhaps it's my bias showing but wives (mine in particular) buy with emotional attachment. They see the perfect house, envision living in it, and then pay what the seller wants to secure that vision. My vision was to conduct some market research before hand and determine the best neighborhoods, see as many houses as possible in those neighborhoods, build a spreadsheet outlining their number of bedrooms, baths, square footage, age, previous selling points and dates, and then do my own market comps by looking up sales of all of the other houses in the neighborhood. I then used this information to determine my price for each house that I saw and prioritized which houses would best perform as a rental (how much rent does it command, how easy would it be to rent and maintain it, what is the trend in the value of the property, is it a style that will be as desirable 10 years from now or is it a trendy fad style that limits the number of potential renters?). Now I start with my top prioritized home that I saw and put in a low but potentially negotiating worthy offer. If the owner is offended, then I didn't waste their or my time and we can both move on. If they do negotiate, I stay pretty low. If not this house, I have probably at least 10 more that I saw that meet my needs. I settle fast and that is what many sellers are looking for based on their needs so often they are willing to accept a lower offer. There are lots of people that prioritize selling and closing fast and I would love to give that to them at the right value. This is an investment.

4) Leverage to the point you are comfortable. I never go above 20% and used my VA loan with 0 down. My 2nd property was only 10% and took on PMI but I only did that because I was still very young and building up my funds so I didn't want to break into my investments in the market. I wouldn't pay PMI if you have the funds available to avoid it. It's a cash flow depressor and significantly reduces the long term ROI for the investment. Some people over leverage themselves and that is easy to do if you bought properties that don't rent easily. Turnover happens and if you are over leveraged and not bringing in rent then you could put yourself in a bind. I was very aggressive when I was younger and some of my philosophies and maybe good fortune allowed me to do that successfully.

5) Positive cash flow is critical. I bought and lived in places for 2-3 years but always had tenants lined up before I moved. Some of that was buying the right properties. Some was advertising and curb appeal. Some was knowing the market and the transient nature of either living near a military installation or a major university. Both of those locations have very well defined rental cycles. The bulk of the people in those locations move in the summer and a second smaller push in the winter. So you have to do a full court press at those times. If you are buying a rental property in an area that isn't as cyclical then you need a different strategy. Fortunately, I always capitalize on the boom of the cycle because I bought properties in the most desirable neighborhoods, close to amenities, and bought at a value that I could offer a reasonable rent. So I often line up as many as a dozen prospective tenants for the same day showing in half hour increments. Usually at least half want to rent the well maintained property and many fill out the rental application before leaving often as the next prospective tenant showing starts. So I do background checks and determine the best fit as soon as possible and lock them into a year or 2 year lease. I often prioritize how long they are willing to commit because turnover kills cash flow and adds expenses. I look for properties that maximize cash flow by limiting time not rented, limiting turnover, buying at a strong value (low cost relative to rent potential), reducing monthly costs, and hopefully self-managed or close to my dad who managed some properties as well. The stronger your positive cash flow the more you reduce your risk should turnover occur and you don't immediately get someone in there. Lastly, you do want to have chosen a property that will increase in value over time.

6) Self-manage or you better have someone you trust managing it. Large property management companies don't have the same level of interest in your property that you do. Maintenance, tenant filling, holding tenants accountable for non-normal wear and tear damages, etc. can be bad with a large company. They may prefer to steer a tenant to another property first because it makes them more money. I have a buddy that I worked with who had new carpet throughout when he left a place and the property management company told him he had to replace them after the first tenants moved out a year later and they hadn't retained any of the security deposit. Plus, you or someone you trust can often do repairs, turnover cleaning, and advertising/showing much cheaper and better than a large property management company.

7) Keep the tenants happy, don't nickel and dime them, and keep the property maintained. Every turnover costs you. You want happy tenants staying as long as possible and making the place home. In addition to all I mentioned in a post above, I also don't raise rent on people usually for 3 to 5 years. Eventually you may have to maintain the strong cash flow needed to keep it going successfully. But raising rent sucks and you might drive unnecessary turnover that will cost more than the additional rent you are trying to pull. You can advertise at a higher rent after someone moves and bring in new tenants that find that to be a reasonable rent. But mostly, I want good people happy to stay, paying their rent consistently, making the place a home and letting me know when something might need fixed or replaced, and wanting to leave the place as they found it when it's time to move.

Now admittingly I had some major advantages getting started. I didn't marry early in my career and so I could invest heavily, build up funds, live on less, buy houses with an investor's mindset, etc. I also was receiving non-taxable housing pay based on rental rates in the area I was stationed from the military which I invested in properties. I also deployed a few times in which I both received housing pay AND rented my property at the same time plus combat pay. It was like a nitro boost to funding my next property purchase. My dad was a huge help to me particularly while I was deployed or half way across the country in the military. He managed properties and is extremely handy, much more than I. I still give him 10% of rental incomes even though I do it all now but he helped me build it. But some others have other advantages, maybe they are more established, know their market because they've lived there 30 years, had more money to start out investing than I did coming out of college with basically nothing. Good luck if pursuing this investment type and let us know how you make out.
Great info. Thank you for taking the time to write it up!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT