ADVERTISEMENT

OT for AKB: Appraising value of old baseball cards

CVLion

Jun 12, 2018
Harrisburg area, PA
Does anyone on the board know of a reliable, trustworthy, and relatively inexpensive place where I could get old baseball cards appraised? Preferably within PA or the Baltimore/DC area.

My family has a collection of cards from the 50s that belonged to my late father, and I suspect some of them may have some value. I have no clue as to what magnitude of value though.

Wish I could help. Whoever can help can you also try to get a price quote on this card?

513lRZSNcAL._AC_.jpg

I bet a Google search would bring up several card shops in the DC area. I can tell you as an avid collector that the best indicator of value is what they are selling for on EBay. Check out the closed auctions to see what they sold for. Card values are extremely condition sensitive. A card that looks like it came right out of the wax pack (very rare for vintage) is worth a LOT more than one that is well worn with creases and rounded corners. Here's an example...a 1957 Mantle graded a PSA 2 (on 1-9 scale) recently sold for $200. Another recently sold 1957 Mantle graded PSA 8 went for $8000! HOFers like Mantle, Koufax, Clemente, etc are in very high demand. Their rookie cards continue to skyrocket in value. Apples to apples, a graded card is also going to command more money than one that is not graded because you remove almost all doubt of its authenticity. I could go on and on. Hope this helps a little bit.

Reactions: CVLion and 81b&w
You need to have the cards graded by the PSA or the other recognized firm. Ungraded cards will be appraised very low because the buyer takes in the risk and cost of getting them graded.

Unless we are talking pre-1960 cards (or some newer ultra-rare cards...think Jordan rookies with PSA 8+), there may not be a ton of value.

Years ago it came out that Topps had basically lied about the number of cards dumped on the market. There were many times more out there than claimed and that caused the market to crater.

Reactions: CVLion
Collector here.

Anything after about 1975 is just overproduced cardboard with rare exceptions.

If what you have is 1950s, as you say, then condition is everything. A 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle in mint condition could be worth $5 million.

I suggest you check with an auction house, like Sotheby’s. But do some online research first. Rookie cards from the ‘50s —Mantle, Aaron, Clemente, Killebrew, and the like — in mint condition would be like winning the lottery.

What does it cost to get cards graded? And does it vary by who the ‘expert’ is?

If you're serious about getting them graded you'll want to go with one of the big 3 companies.. PSA, BGS (Beckett Grading Services), or SGC. The grading companies are waaaaaay backed up right now. SGC is $15 per card..I just submitted a batch on 12/17 and just got them back the other day. BGS is $15 per card for their economy level but you'll be waiting close to 7 to 8 months...PSA is the same but incredibly expensive. Mantle, Clemente, Rose, Koufax..names that you know can be worth big $$ if they are in good condition..Mays rookie is close to 4k, Rose rookie is up there, Koufax cards are going pretty high. auction houses like PWCC or Pristine will let you submit cards for them to sell.

my advice, look up what you have on ebay to get a rough estimate of what they are worth.

If you're serious about getting them graded you'll want to go with one of the big 3 companies.. PSA, BGS (Beckett Grading Services), or SGC. The grading companies are waaaaaay backed up right now. SGC is $15 per card..I just submitted a batch on 12/17 and just got them back the other day. BGS is $15 per card for their economy level but you'll be waiting close to 7 to 8 months...PSA is the same but incredibly expensive. Mantle, Clemente, Rose, Koufax..names that you know can be worth big $$ if they are in good condition..Mays rookie is close to 4k, Rose rookie is up there, Koufax cards are going pretty high. auction houses like PWCC or Pristine will let you submit cards for them to sell.

my advice, look up what you have on ebay to get a rough estimate of what they are worth.

also, if you have your cards graded and they grade high it skyrockets the value...ex..a 73 Topps Mike Schmidt RC goes for around 100-200 bucks...one graded a 9 (mint) goes for 3-5K.

One thing to remember. Catalogs (for any collectible) give retail value--and take into account the cost of stocking and inventory. The amount you get from a dealer will be less. Always. In fact, most dealers sell for a percentage of catalog value. The exception, as always, is of course rarities.

Take stamps for example. Most mint stamps from the past 80-90 years are best used as postage. There are exceptions of course (a buddy of mine got about $1K for his grandfather's collection). But dealers sell them in batch amounts--as postage--below face value.

First thing I'd do before paying someone to grade them is see what they might be worth. I recent bought a subscription to Becket online price guide(it lets you inventory your collection too). Might be a good place to start.

Thank you so much to everyone for your replies and advice — very helpful and much appreciated!

A quick glance through the collection shows a number of HOF players, but so far I don’t think I’m seeing a rookie card for any of them. I think the vast majority of the cards may be from 1959.

Condition seems decent to my untrained eye, but of course I’d need them graded to really establish that. I’ll definitely follow the advice above and research prices on eBay first to get an idea of whether it may be worth taking any of them through that process.

I’ll probably also download an app to catalog them — I see that some of the apps even facilitate the process of searching eBay to estimate values. Does anyone here have a recommendation on a specific app to use?

Reactions: BrucePa
The cost of grading is outrageous. PSA will cost the most, is the most sought after by collectors and will fetch the highest premiums. Look at eBay auctions comparing the different grading companies for the same card. You will be amazed at the premium PSA often gets. It’s expensive but if you have what you say you have, it could be worth tens of thousands of dollars more overall using PSA. I would definitely go this route if you may want to hang on to a few for investments long term or if you have one of the “holy grail” 50’s cards. (52 Mantle, et.al) However, if you are just looking to minimize cost and get a return quickly, I’m not sure it matters so much. And please be careful going to a random card guy, get references, talk to people. Just my opinion as a long time card collector.

Edit: I guess I was late on this post. Good luck with this.

Reactions: bwifan and CVLion
First thing I'd do before paying someone to grade them is see what they might be worth. I recent bought a subscription to Becket online price guide(it lets you inventory your collection too). Might be a good place to start.

Thanks — I see now that Becket makes one of the apps I was looking at. I may get that one.

To submit your cards for grading, was there somewhere you could drop them/pick them up, or did you have to ship them? I’d probably be very nervous shipping cards, especially with the state of shipping services recently — I most definitely wouldn’t go USPS, that’s for sure!

To submit your cards for grading, was there somewhere you could drop them/pick them up, or did you have to ship them? I’d probably be very nervous shipping cards, especially with the state of shipping services recently — I most definitely wouldn’t go USPS, that’s for sure!

i ship them ups. None of the places are taking drop off because of Covid. I think your best bet is SGC. Old cards looks the best in their holders imho. Just google SGC Grading. I’ve shipped to them and they got the cards in three days.

Yeah, I asked a similar question a couple of years back (I can't find the thread) and, since my recent retirement, I'm trying to better catalog my collection. As you mentioned, their value depends on their grade and it's hard for us non-pros to objectively assign grades. I've wanted to send at least some of my (potentially) more valuable cards for appraisal but I'm not so trusting that I would get them all back. I've used the Sports Card Database to help me catalog them but the values that they assign are lower than sites like PSA (who also do appraisals). I have generally assigned all my cards middle of the road grades (knowing that some are higher and some are lower) just to get a feel for the value of the collection.
Some apparently decent cards of mine:
1960-topps-200-willie-mays-29735.jpg

1960 Topps Willie Mays

1962-topps-18-managers-dream-mmantlewmays-30125.jpg

1962 Topps Managers' Dream

1962-post-cereal-5-mickey-mantle-hand-cut-ex-70028.jpg

1962 Post Cereal Micky Mantle (yeah I actually cut this off a cereal box almost 60 years ago!)

1963-topps-200-mickey-mantle-gem-mt-10-73902.jpg

1963 Topps Mickey Mantle

1964-topps-125-pete-rose-all-star-rookie-31499.jpg

1964 Topps Pete Rose

It sounds to me like you may have older ones that will be worth quite a bit more than anything I have.

Last edited:
Thank you so much to everyone for your replies and advice — very helpful and much appreciated!

A quick glance through the collection shows a number of HOF players, but so far I don’t think I’m seeing a rookie card for any of them. I think the vast majority of the cards may be from 1959.

Condition seems decent to my untrained eye, but of course I’d need them graded to really establish that. I’ll definitely follow the advice above and research prices on eBay first to get an idea of whether it may be worth taking any of them through that process.

I’ll probably also download an app to catalog them — I see that some of the apps even facilitate the process of searching eBay to estimate values. Does anyone here have a recommendation on a specific app to use?
Look at the corners, edges, surface, and how it’s centered. That’s what the graders look at. Even if it graded a 1 the value increases because people know it’s real.

i ship them ups. None of the places are taking drop off because of Covid. I think your best bet is SGC. Old cards looks the best in their holders imho. Just google SGC Grading. I’ve shipped to them and they got the cards in three days.

Thanks for the further details! I think I have quite a bit of cataloging and eBay research ahead of me before I might consider having some graded, but this is good to know.

EDIT: Forgot to quote Woodpecker, this is in response to his note above...

Cool stuff. Like you I’m also leery of sending them out for grading... the same trepidation also stopped me from having some of my dad’s old comic books graded a few years ago. Maybe I’ll eventually work up the nerve for it... especially if the pandemic eases and a dropoff/pickup option becomes available somewhere.

I assume the pics of graded copies are just ones you grabbed off the internet and are not your actual cards?

I was planning to take your same approach to estimating the overall collection value... I’ll note them all as mid-grade or maybe even slightly lower for now... I’d rather lowball the estimate a little than get over excited and be disappointed later.

Look at the corners, edges, surface, and how it’s centered. That’s what the graders look at. Even if it graded a 1 the value increases because people know it’s real.

Thanks — a lot of the corners and edges seem decent from a cursory initial glance. I’ll inspect them in detail over time. Where I’m far less certain is in regard to any possible fading or discoloration, since I don’t know what they originally looked like. I suppose I could look at high-graded copies online and compare a little... though of course then the quality of the image itself becomes an x factor.

The cost of grading is outrageous. PSA will cost the most, is the most sought after by collectors and will fetch the highest premiums. Look at eBay auctions comparing the different grading companies for the same card. You will be amazed at the premium PSA often gets. It’s expensive but if you have what you say you have, it could be worth tens of thousands of dollars more overall using PSA. I would definitely go this route if you may want to hang on to a few for investments long term or if you have one of the “holy grail” 50’s cards. (52 Mantle, et.al) However, if you are just looking to minimize cost and get a return quickly, I’m not sure it matters so much. And please be careful going to a random card guy, get references, talk to people. Just my opinion as a long time card collector.

Thank you — I don’t think I have any “holy grail” type cards unfortunately, but there are definitely some big names in there with cards from mid- or late-career: I saw Mantle, Maris, Berra, Clemente, Koufax, Aaron (RIP:() just off the top of my head. I think it will definitely be worth my time to at least put in the research and then maybe take the best ones for grading.

Thank You for this info... I have a ton of baseball and football cards. Topps was a large clients of my father and every time he made a sales call on them he would come home and bring me a couple of boxes of cards. I have them all still and was looking to get them valued at some point as I have multiple cards like Pete Rose rookie year and many of Hank Aaron and Hall of Famers. Think I also have complete teams of the Oakland A's back in the 70s when they won World Series with Jim "Catfish" Hunter and Vida Blue, etc...

EDIT: Forgot to quote Woodpecker, this is in response to his note above...

Cool stuff. Like you I’m also leery of sending them out for grading... the same trepidation also stopped me from having some of my dad’s old comic books graded a few years ago. Maybe I’ll eventually work up the nerve for it... especially if the pandemic eases and a dropoff/pickup option becomes available somewhere.

I assume the pics of graded copies are just ones you grabbed off the internet and are not your actual cards?

I was planning to take your same approach to estimating the overall collection value... I’ll note them all as mid-grade or maybe even slightly lower for now... I’d rather lowball the estimate a little than get over excited and be disappointed later.
I think that we're in the same boat. If I take the plunge first, I'll let you know how things go.
Yes, those were the idealized internet images of how the cards are supposed to look. I have thousands of cards of non-stars and multiples of many of them. Their value is supposedly from $1 - 5 but I don't think anyone would give me a penny for them so, if you want any to fill in your collection, just let me know. Not sure of the logistics but we can come up with something.

I think that we're in the same boat. If I take the plunge first, I'll let you know how things go.
Yes, those were the idealized internet images of how the cards are supposed to look. I have thousands of cards of non-stars and multiples of many of them. Their value is supposedly from $1 - 5 but I don't think anyone would give me a penny for them so, if you want any to fill in your collection, just let me know. Not sure of the logistics but we can come up with something.

That’s quite a kind and generous offer, thank you! Yes let’s keep in touch on this and compare notes on the experience.

Thank you — I don’t think I have any “holy grail” type cards unfortunately, but there are definitely some big names in there with cards from mid- or late-career: I saw Mantle, Maris, Berra, Clemente, Koufax, Aaron (RIP:() just off the top of my head. I think it will definitely be worth my time to at least put in the research and then maybe take the best ones for grading.
The guys you listed above are timeless, as long as there is baseball, these guys will be mentioned. That’s good for you.

When my dad was stationed at Ft. Lee, VA, I was had a close friend, a fellow elementary school kid, whose father owned a "mom & pop" store in the little town near Petersburg. The son, Rudy, loved the bubblegum sticks that came in the nickel packs of Tops cards.

We would ride our bikes home from school and stop off at his dad's store ... where Rudy would be given packs of the cards, sometimes the remainder of the entire box if his dad were there. Rudy didn't care about the cards ... he wanted the gum. So he gave me all the cards and kept all the gum!

By the end of the summer, I would have the entire collection (Topps would include checklist cards in random packs so one could know what series of cards he was getting). This awesome scheme lasted for 3 years until my dad got orders to Ft. Sam Houston in Texas.

My older brother had begun a collection when he was in grade school, but stopped in 1956 ... just in time for my 3-year bonanza. So I had hundreds of cards ... hundreds .... stashed in an old army footlocker . Dozens of Yankee and Pirate players (teams we both followed and whose games could be picked up on radio in VA). Since Mickey Mantle was my favorite, I had easily 30-40 MM cards from 1952-62 when I stopped collecting them (back then, who could I trade a Mantle for?)

These cards remained in my footlocker in my closet until I went to Ft. Sill, OK for ROTC camp. When I returned, my mom had cleaned out the closet and given all -- yes, ALL -- the cards to a neighborhood kid who used them as props for play.

When the Topps cards became valuable many years later, my brother and I never let my poor mother forget how much money was lost from her "cleanup" of my room. The whole thing was really a heart-warming source of laughter as we aged, although my mom would quite often go into an Italian rant when we brought the topic up.

Ahhh, baseball in the 50's and 60s ... what a glorious time to be a fan. And then came Penn State football.

When my dad was stationed at Ft. Lee, VA, I was had a close friend, a fellow elementary school kid, whose father owned a "mom & pop" store in the little town near Petersburg. The son, Rudy, loved the bubblegum sticks that came in the nickel packs of Tops cards.

We would ride our bikes home from school and stop off at his dad's store ... where Rudy would be given packs of the cards, sometimes the remainder of the entire box if his dad were there. Rudy didn't care about the cards ... he wanted the gum. So he gave me all the cards and kept all the gum!

By the end of the summer, I would have the entire collection (Topps would include checklist cards in random packs so one could know what series of cards he was getting). This awesome scheme lasted for 3 years until my dad got orders to Ft. Sam Houston in Texas.

My older brother had begun a collection when he was in grade school, but stopped in 1956 ... just in time for my 3-year bonanza. So I had hundreds of cards ... hundreds .... stashed in an old army footlocker . Dozens of Yankee and Pirate players (teams we both followed and whose games could be picked up on radio in VA). Since Mickey Mantle was my favorite, I had easily 30-40 MM cards from 1952-62 when I stopped collecting them (back then, who could I trade a Mantle for?)

These cards remained in my footlocker in my closet until I went to Ft. Sill, OK for ROTC camp. When I returned, my mom had cleaned out the closet and given all -- yes, ALL -- the cards to a neighborhood kid who used them as props for play.

When the Topps cards became valuable many years later, my brother and I never let my poor mother forget how much money was lost from her "cleanup" of my room. The whole thing was really a heart-warming source of laughter as we aged, although my mom would quite often go into an Italian rant when we brought the topic up.

Ahhh, baseball in the 50's and 60s ... what a glorious time to be a fan. And then came Penn State football.

Thanks for sharing the memories... even the major “ouch” of your cards being given away!

As a teenager in the late 50s and early 60s, my dad worked at a soda fountain, just down the street from the house he grew up in in the suburbs of Chicago. Apparently a decent portion of the wages he earned went right back into the place and yielded the collections of baseball cards and comic books our family has today.

I wish the comics were in as good of a condition as the baseball cards seem to be... he had some early Marvel books that would be very valuable today if they hadn’t been so read and re-read and then aged in basements for decades. I did get 5 of them that were in the most decent condition signed by Stan Lee a year before he passed away. Those must have some value... but they are staying framed and will not be for sale at least while I still breathe, haha :)

When I was a kid, packs of cards were a nickel each but we could get 6 packs for a quarter. I swear there were entire days when a couple friends and I would scour our small town looking for pop (soda) bottles to redeem so that we could immediately buy cards.

Thanks for sharing the memories... even the major “ouch” of your cards being given away!

As a teenager in the late 50s and early 60s, my dad worked at a soda fountain, just down the street from the house he grew up in in the suburbs of Chicago. Apparently a decent portion of the wages he earned went right back into the place and yielded the collections of baseball cards and comic books our family has today.

I wish the comics were in as good of a condition as the baseball cards seem to be... he had some early Marvel books that would be very valuable today if they hadn’t been so read and re-read and then aged in basements for decades. I did get 5 of them that were in the most decent condition signed by Stan Lee a year before he passed away. Those must have some value... but they are staying framed and will not be for sale at least while I still breathe, haha :)
What are the books?

I have one comic that could bring me a decent return once I get it professionally cleaned, pressed and graded. "Werewolf by Night" #32 which is the debut of the character "Moon Knight." WBN was a c-list title so not many were printed and fewer were bought and preserved. If my guess is right and my copy will be graded at near-mint, it's probably worth a couple thousand.

Reactions: odshowtime
What are the books?

I have one comic that could bring me a decent return once I get it professionally cleaned, pressed and graded. "Werewolf by Night" #32 which is the debut of the character "Moon Knight." WBN was a c-list title so not many were printed and fewer were bought and preserved. If my guess is right and my copy will be graded at near-mint, it's probably worth a couple thousand.

I would think so... character first appearances are highly sought after and if it is near-mint that’s great!

The books I got signed by Stan were nowhere close to mint unfortunately... on my personal grading system I’d call them “decent” lol.

The books are:

Amazing Spider-Man #3 (first appearance of Doctor Octopus)

Fantastic Four #11 (Impossible Man... an absurd character and no big deal, but it was in the best condition among the early FF issues in my dad’s collection)

Journey Into Mystery #85 (first appearance of Loki)

Strange Tales #110 (cover story is Human Torch vs The Wizard and Paste-Pot Pete of all characters lol... but the backup story is the first appearance of Doctor Strange)

Incredible Hulk #4 (two stories with no characters of note, but an early issue in reasonable condition)

The first two are framed and hanging up in my house, the other three I actually had signed as birthday gifts for my three sisters that year.

The two books that WOULD have been the true gems of my dad’s collection but for their condition are Amazing Spider-Man #1 (missing a good chunk of the cover) and FF #5 (first Doctor Doom... all but destroyed by water damage.) Ugh!

My card story...

I loved baseball cards as a kid in the mid-80s. But turned my nose down at basketball cards. Someone gave me a few packs and I put thumb pins through my favorite players on my cork board. 8 years later...I found the old pile of basketball cards. There it was...a Michael Jordan rookie card with a pin hole in the corner.

So close to an early retirement... :)

If player is not a superstar, card has little value.
I used to have a bunch of old cards in mint condition, only to find out they were near worthless. Rare, but worthless.
No fun.

Not for cards from the 50s. Nothing is worthless from that era

I would think so... character first appearances are highly sought after and if it is near-mint that’s great!

The books I got signed by Stan were nowhere close to mint unfortunately... on my personal grading system I’d call them “decent” lol.

The books are:

Amazing Spider-Man #3 (first appearance of Doctor Octopus)

Fantastic Four #11 (Impossible Man... an absurd character and no big deal, but it was in the best condition among the early FF issues in my dad’s collection)

Journey Into Mystery #85 (first appearance of Loki)

Strange Tales #110 (cover story is Human Torch vs The Wizard and Paste-Pot Pete of all characters lol... but the backup story is the first appearance of Doctor Strange)

Incredible Hulk #4 (two stories with no characters of note, but an early issue in reasonable condition)

The first two are framed and hanging up in my house, the other three I actually had signed as birthday gifts for my three sisters that year.

The two books that WOULD have been the true gems of my dad’s collection but for their condition are Amazing Spider-Man #1 (missing a good chunk of the cover) and FF #5 (first Doctor Doom... all but destroyed by water damage.) Ugh!
Oh, wow, those are great books to have even if they aren't in great shape. First Doc Ock should be worth something even in fair condition.

I remember the Impossible Man story from a reprint in Marvel Treasury Edition. I actually enjoyed that story, it's a fun one. John Byrne brought Impy back to the FF for a stretch in the late 80's -- he was fun for a while then wore thin.

And I always have a soft spot for Paste Pot Pete. Lamest supervillain in the entire Marvel canon. (Really sticky glue! He can repackage himself as Trapster all he wants, he'll always be Paste Pot Pete to me.) And I remember the Strange Tales issue you have from when it was reprinted in the short-lived "Human Torch" title in the 70's.

Yeah, I asked a similar question a couple of years back (I can't find the thread) and, since my recent retirement, I'm trying to better catalog my collection. As you mentioned, their value depends on their grade and it's hard for us non-pros to objectively assign grades. I've wanted to send at least some of my (potentially) more valuable cards for appraisal but I'm not so trusting that I would get them all back. I've used the Sports Card Database to help me catalog them but the values that they assign are lower than sites like PSA (who also do appraisals). I have generally assigned all my cards middle of the road grades (knowing that some are higher and some are lower) just to get a feel for the value of the collection.
Some apparently decent cards of mine:
1960-topps-200-willie-mays-29735.jpg

1960 Topps Willie Mays

1962-topps-18-managers-dream-mmantlewmays-30125.jpg

1962 Topps Managers' Dream

1962-post-cereal-5-mickey-mantle-hand-cut-ex-70028.jpg

1962 Post Cereal Micky Mantle (yeah I actually cut this off a cereal box almost 60 years ago!)

1963-topps-200-mickey-mantle-gem-mt-10-73902.jpg

1963 Topps Mickey Mantle

1964-topps-125-pete-rose-all-star-rookie-31499.jpg

1964 Topps Pete Rose

It sounds to me like you may have older ones that will be worth quite a bit more than anything I have.

those would be some sweet sweet cards worth $$$$$. I've sent in lots of cards and have never had anything happen to them. My favorite to send to is SGC followed by BGS. I just feel PSA is way to freaking expensive to send cards to right now.

As for grading, they spend maybe 10 mins on a card to grade it so don't think they are some sort of end all be all...if you send your card to the same place three different times you may get three different grades..just being 100...in order to tell what your cards would grade look at the centering of the pic, the corners, the edges, and the surface..front and back. I could tell you what grades to expect pretty easily and to be honest grading vintage is almost necessary anymore to sell them for high prices because of counterfits...esp on Mantles, Roses, and Mays.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT