ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Flo Subscription

Cowbell Man

Feb 2, 2002
Man..... Their model continues to vex me.

This year there is no obvious monthly subscription, just the $150, pay all upfront but equals $12.50/month.

Last year was $20 per month on a monthly basis. Seemed fair. I did 4 months last year.

I have been told to upgrade to the annual one, then they will fix it to monthly and refund me. The new monthly fee is $29.99. -_______-

I'll just do now thru the southern scuffle since ESPN will carry all the NCAA matches anyway.

This year there is no obvious monthly subscription, just the $150, pay all upfront but equals $12.50/month.

Last year was $20 per month on a monthly basis. Seemed fair. I did 4 months last year.

I have been told to upgrade to the annual one, then they will fix it to monthly and refund me. The new monthly fee is $29.99. -_______-

I'll just do now thru the southern scuffle since ESPN will carry all the NCAA matches anyway.

FloSports has a knack for avoiding thinking about their business from the customers’ perspective. It’s in a time warp back to about 1999. To fan those flames, they think they are the smartest guys in the room but they’ve “McKinseyed” themselves (force marched to a strategy that is out of touch with reality that will end up with doom). There’s a market where they are playing, they just choose to put it in a cage and poke it with sticks.

Last edited:

Recently emailed them and they responded that they do not do monthly subscriptions anymore. I agree that there is short term money to be made but they are not interested.

Is it a viable strategy to subscribe today (for a year) then cancel after the scuffle? How much would they refund?

Love the Flo susbcription.....They have fallen in love with PSU...We should support them big time ! LET'S GO STATE...I'm pumped FOR REAL !

Is it a viable strategy to subscribe today (for a year) then cancel after the scuffle? How much would they refund?
That’s the tack that was offered, though I had to subscribe in full, then could change to the not published monthly rate and be refunded.

I don’t care how much they love PSU. Based on other subscriptions....they are over priced unless you buy the whole year...and I have no need for the whole year. Their monthly plan was great in the past.

Reactions: rmg78
For 20 bucks a month I would subscribe for 3-4 months a year if they have video of PSU duals and tournaments.

For 150 a year I will do BTN+, BTN, ESPN,

A few of us had this very discussion earlier today. Thumbing your nose at your customers will only last until an alternative comes along. An accountant made this decision, not someone who gives an ounce of thought to the sport.

My last experience with them was for the WNO event. I purchased the annual because it was my only option. The stream had major problems and I missed most of the event staring at buffering video. I called the next day to complain and they told me the problem was on my end (though I had watched other Flo events in the past on the same computer and same WiFi with less or no problems) and since I did not enter a help ticket during the event they would not refund me. My ONLY option was to cancel and be charged $29.99 for one month, which wasn't even available to me for the event. They were quite rude and dismissive and didn't even consider the frustration of not being able to watch an event yet not thinking about sending an email hoping to get the problem fixed within the time frame of said event. They won't get another dime of my money unless something changes down the road.

Customer service issues aside, their business model is a subscription model and they pay for events based on their revenues and corresponding budget. Track Wrestling, contracts with events, charges for the event and shares the revenue with that event based on how many people paid to see it, so each event is isolated. It's a different business model. That said, it does seem like the leave a lot of money on the table by not offering a monthly subscription option that is reasonable. IMO $30/month is not reasonable. There has to be some way they could segment their subscriptions to gain $ from people who won't do the annual. Maybe a college package or summer package for HS off season tournaments? Maybe they feel the way they do it maximizes revenue and to hell with those that think like me. But that just seems like short term thinking to me. It definitely cost them money in the long run, but that was more about shitty customer service.

Reactions: dbldoofus
My ONLY option was to cancel and be charged $29.99 for one month, which wasn't even available to me for the event.
In the future, you can dispute this kind of crap through your credit card. Assuming you are in good standing with the bank, they will 99% of the time side with the purchaser. It's really your only recourse when dealing with this kind of nonsense.

In the future, you can dispute this kind of crap through your credit card. Assuming you are in good standing with the bank, they will 99% of the time side with the purchaser. It's really your only recourse when dealing with this kind of nonsense.

You know I'm smart enough to know that, but I guessed ticked off enough that it didn't cross my mind at the time. Lesson learned. But they still aren't getting another dime of my money.

Reactions: Bob_Anderson
Flo needs a 5 month college season pass. November - March. $10 a month with access to only college wrestling matches and college related material.

I know many of you watch Flo bc of the freestyle options. I primarily watch college wrestling and really like the BTN Plus option. It is cheap, and you can go monthly. It also allows you to watch all PSU sports, which is a huge plus for me.

I am not hating on Flo because I do like the services they provide and the guys, especially Willie, are knowledgeable and crack me up on FRL, but, unless I am mistaken, Flowrestling is the only Flo sport that does not offer a monthly subscription model.

Flo saves me about 3k per year as I now attend my 3-4 big events and simply watch the others on Flo. I feel ripped off by much of what I buy (62k for my new truck) most recently, but the tiny amount Flo costs probably brings me more joy and entertainment than my Truck,boat, and motor home combined if I'm being honest. Keep up the great work Flo!

Flo saves me about 3k per year as I now attend my 3-4 big events and simply watch the others on Flo. I feel ripped off by much of what I buy (62k for my new truck) most recently, but the tiny amount Flo costs probably brings me more joy and entertainment than my Truck,boat, and motor home combined if I'm being honest. Keep up the great work Flo!

Now imagine that the truck came with a curling iron, hair dryer and a year supply of makeup but cost an additional 20k. Would you still have bought it when a big percentage of what you pay for isn't what you want or won't use?

If I were able to afford a motor home, a boat, or a 62k truck I also would not have an issue with a $150 per year subscription.

Reactions: PSUer1989

thanks for the kind words.

i don't have any say in pricing structure. i understand that for some a monthly would be more convenient but i also know they've ran several tests over the years and the yearly was the best option all things considered.

i also hate (surprise!) the ppv model for trackwrestling which could run you a pretty penny if you want 2 or 3 events in a given month. that being said i was happy they bundled all the worlds stuff.

If I were able to afford a motor home, a boat, or a 62k truck I also would not have an issue with a $150 per year subscription.

I have an issue with $150. Just because I can afford something does not mean I will spend $$ on it. Yeah, Flo has a lot of content, but a great majority of it is not of interest to me. Same reason why I only subscribe to BTNplus for PSU during wrestling season.

Now imagine that the truck came with a curling iron, hair dryer and a year supply of makeup but cost an additional 20k. Would you still have bought it when a big percentage of what you pay for isn't what you want or won't use?

It does- It comes with auto dimming lights, heated rear seat, etc. that I have no desire for but it was the only way I could get the color I wanted (Pearl White). I'm not trying to diminish the fact that Flo's extra stuff comes at a price, but most wrestling fans would enjoy much of it if they have the time. The features (Terry) for instance, are worth the money. One night in a motel is pretty close to an entire year worth of wrestling content in cost. It also has lead to me being more charitable as I have pretty much given my 3 season tickets to Iowa and the 4 for ISU to a local high school team to share. I just believe it has enriched my life. My dad can't get out worth a darn anymore and he loves the Hawkeyes, so anytime I can put the bums on his tv and watch with him it really warms my heart.

If any of you fellas want to start a bitch session about what we get for our money in terms of taxes paid I'm all in.

Reactions: jtothemfp
It does- It comes with auto dimming lights, heated rear seat, etc. that I have no desire for but it was the only way I could get the color I wanted (Pearl White). I'm not trying to diminish the fact that Flo's extra stuff comes at a price, but most wrestling fans would enjoy much of it if they have the time. The features (Terry) for instance, are worth the money. One night in a motel is pretty close to an entire year worth of wrestling content in cost. It also has lead to me being more charitable as I have pretty much given my 3 season tickets to Iowa and the 4 for ISU to a local high school team to share. I just believe it has enriched my life. My dad can't get out worth a darn anymore and he loves the Hawkeyes, so anytime I can put the bums on his tv and watch with him it really warms my heart.

If any of you fellas want to start a bitch session about what we get for our money in terms of taxes paid I'm all in.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here. The last time I got to sit down and watch something for 2 hours (wrestling dual meet) uninterrupted, was before my kids were born. I simply don't have the time to "get my monies worth". BTN duals plus maybe 30 others over the year is what I have interest in. Five months worth of content isn't worth $150 to me and its not worth my time either. Kids are only young once.

I'm on the opposite end of the spectrum here. The last time I got to sit down and watch something for 2 hours (wrestling dual meet) uninterrupted, was before my kids were born. I simply don't have the time to "get my monies worth". BTN duals plus maybe 30 others over the year is what I have interest in. Five months worth of content isn't worth $150 to me and its not worth my time either. Kids are only young once.

Lol my friend! I'm old and my kids are grown and gone- I would trade you places in life. Grand kids are a treat when we get to see them, but life for them is much more busy than gramps. Time is what I have these days.

Reactions: SWPA
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT