ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Finding the right contractor/builder

SouthpawPSU42

Jul 2, 2019
I'm about to embark on quite a large project for bidding on a detached garage and house facade makeover which involves numerous tasks (land excavation, rerouting overhead electrical lines, tree removal, paving, pathways, porch, retaining walls, etc.) What's the best way to go about finding a good builder/contractor these days? I live in the burbs outside of Philly and it's overwhelming with the number of results using general google searching. Anjie's List? Thumbtack? Cost isn't my biggest concern (that's why you get multiple bids). For such a large project, I just need a reliable builder/contractor that will do a good job with communicating, realistic expectations, etc. I feel like its harder and harder to trust reviews on the internet, especially for a job like this. I hear about so many horror stories about shortcuts/ghosting. Thoughts? TIA

I'm about to embark on quite a large project for bidding on a detached garage and house facade makeover which involves numerous tasks (land excavation, rerouting overhead electrical lines, tree removal, paving, pathways, porch, retaining walls, etc.) What's the best way to go about finding a good builder/contractor these days? I live in the burbs outside of Philly and it's overwhelming with the number of results using general google searching. Anjie's List? Thumbtack? Cost isn't my biggest concern (that's why you get multiple bids). For such a large project, I just need a reliable builder/contractor that will do a good job with communicating, realistic expectations, etc. I feel like its harder and harder to trust reviews on the internet, especially for a job like this. I hear about so many horror stories about shortcuts/ghosting. Thoughts? TIA

I recommend speaking with people in your immediate area that have had similar projects completed in recent months. I'm sure can provide insight into who to use, and/or who to avoid.

If you're using an architect, they might be able to provide some guidance as well.

I recommend speaking with people in your immediate area that have had similar projects completed in recent months. I'm sure can provide insight into who to use, and/or who to avoid.

If you're using an architect, they might be able to provide some guidance as well.
yep..it is very local. Word-of-mouth seems to be the best way. Angies List (now "Angies") used to be an OK source but I understand they kind of sold out to simply let contractors pay for recommendations.

One thought: many contractors put a sign up when doing a job. Perhaps, if you see one, go knock on the door and ask the homeowner how it is working out. You can also see how they keep the work area clean and safe; what kind of materials they use.

Contact the local builders association. They usually make sure contractors do quality work. Too many complaints about them and they are out. They also make sure all members have current insurance.

You could also talk to local lumberyards for recommendations. Not the big box stores but real lumberyards. They will push you to their customers but wouldn’t likely recommend any bad ones as it would make them look bad.

It’s very difficult here (Bucks County) to find good contractors/carpenters, masons and house painters. I’m told that the contractors, etc. etc., are busy with the wealthy people in Princeton. I’ve heard that a lot of PPP money is involved, but don’t know that for a fact.

1. Ask any contractor you are considering to produce proof of workers comp insurance and liability insurance. Be advised that many insurance companies have "your own work" exclusions for contractor coverages.
2. Go to your county clerks office to see whether any chosen contractor is the subject of mechanics liens.
3. Ask for references and inquire about the contractor standing behind the work and coming back to do punch list Items or improperly done work.
4. Check with your state's BBB to discover consumer complaints.
5. Check with your state's secretary state corporate registry to make sure your contractor is licensed and registered to do business.
6. Ask your local county engineer and/or county licensing board to ensure your contractor has a history of complying with requirements to obtain local building permits.
7. Inquire about a warranty for work performed and get it in writing.
8. Find a local code inspector or structural engineer to review and approve work before final work is done.

I know this appears to be a lot but too many local wankers with a hammer and a truck offer themselves as a contractor. I have seen a lot of heartache and wasted money because a decision was not made to do some homework on who you hire.

Reactions: bytir and Fac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT