ADVERTISEMENT

OT - finally bought my dream car

Nitwit

Jul 18, 2001
Pennsylvania
After much research I finally pulled the trigger today on a new Mercedes E300 4matic. I'm getting the metallic green exterior luxury model with the nut brown interior with burled walnut wood and black trim. Got a great deal too!

It has AWD, self parking, 13 speaker stereo, 64 colors of ambient lighting, automatic folding mirrors, foot activated trunk release, customizable dash displays, all the safety features including cross wind stabilization, and the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. The interiors of the new e class are supurb. It will look great with my big lion magnet affixed to the back of the trunk.

Last edited:
Bad ass. Enjoy it Nit.

maxresdefault.jpg

After much research I finally pulled the trigger today. I'm getting the metallic green exterior luxury model with the nut brown interior with black trim. Got a great deal too!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/hQvwowfVZtc/maxresdefault.jpg

It has 4matic AWD, self parking, 13 speaker stereo, 64 colors of ambient lighting, automatic folding mirrors, foot activated trunk release, customizable dash displays, all the safety features including cross wind stabilization, and the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. The interiors of the new e class are supurb. It will look great with my big lion magnet affixed to the back of the trunk.

Good for you. Nice car.
I got a semi-new S mini cooper in March and love it.
Power out the wazoo, ok I did tweak it a bit to get 210 HP out of. ;)
and i love the fold in mirrors.
My only complaint is they are making the radio increasing difficult to use.
They bitch about Cell Phone use and honestly the radio is way more complicated than it needs to be.
One thing I've really learned to like is the back up camera. Not so much for actually backing up but for seeing stupid kids on skate boards and bikes riding through the parking lot:mad:

Reactions: 91Joe95 and Nitwit
After much research I finally pulled the trigger today on a new Mercedes E300 4matic. I'm getting the metallic green exterior luxury model with the nut brown interior with black trim. Got a great deal too!

It has AWD, self parking, 13 speaker stereo, 64 colors of ambient lighting, automatic folding mirrors, foot activated trunk release, customizable dash displays, all the safety features including cross wind stabilization, and the most comfortable seats I've ever sat in. The interiors of the new e class are supurb. It will look great with my big lion magnet affixed to the back of the trunk.
Congrats. There are few things more satisfying in life than sitting behind the wheel of a new vehicle.

After much research I finally pulled the trigger today on a new Mercedes E300 4matic. I'm getting the metallic green exterior luxury model with the nut brown interior with black trim. Got a great deal too!

Congrats. Your comment about the lion magnet reminded me of when I bought my first SUV - a 1995 Ford Explorer that I used for tailgating for many years. There were several on the lot to choose from and I bought a dark blue one because I knew my PSU magnets would look good on it.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this Dream car cost? I am in the market for a Jaquar F Pace SUV with 340 hp or 380 hp of excitement which sells for from $55-$75K depending on options.

Car paint fades and magnets leave dark marks. Better off with a window sticker.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did this Dream car cost? I am in the market for a Jaquar F Pace SUV with 340 hp or 380 hp of excitement which sells for from $55-$75K depending on options.
The list price was $61k. My purchase price before trade in was $55k. This car is only about 240 hp, and about 270 torque, but I wasn't interested in a high end performance car. It's 0-60 time is 6.3 seconds, good enough for me. My other strong contender was the Jaguar XF, and I like the F pace also, but wife already drives an SUV. In the end I think the Mercedes is a better engineered car then the Jag, and the car I'm trading is a C class which I've loved. The F pace or the Porsche Macan would be great choices for upscale SUVs.

Reactions: MtNittany
The list price was $61k. My purchase price before trade in was $55k. This car is only about 240 hp, and about 270 torque, but I wasn't interested in a high end performance car. It's 0-60 time is 6.3 seconds, good enough for me. My other strong contender was the Jaguar XF, and I like the F pace also, but wife already drives an SUV. In the end I think the Mercedes is a better engineered car then the Jag, and the car I'm trading is a C class which I've loved. The F pace or the Porsche Macan would be great choices for upscale SUVs.
I'm not thrilled with MB's drivetrain choices for the new "E". I think MB panicked under the EPA's increasingly-onerous CAFE (MPG) standards and understandably manufactured drivetrains that would meet those evolving standards. Times change....

We're waiting to upgrade wife's "E" once MB decides to offer a normally-aspirated V6. If they slapped one of those 3.5 liter, non-charged engines in the current model, I'd go buy one tomorrow.

You're gonna be the toast of the town when you pull into the drive-in on Sat night!

Never been a big car person.....but certainly hope you enjoy it. Perspective, it cost twice what I paid for my first condominium in 1975!

Reactions: Sharkies

My FIL is buying my MIL one for her birthday this year. She's super picky (has a ton of issues with my Range Rover - 'This is too hard to get into, etc...') and has something to say about everything. Any issues you think a retired 60-something from North Philly might find uncomfortable/objectionable? My FIL says he's getting 'all options'. Enjoy!

You're gonna be the toast of the town when you pull into the drive-in on Sat night!

Never been a big car person.....but certainly hope you enjoy it. Perspective, it cost twice what I paid for my first condominium in 1975!
Yep - when my daughter was in first grade I tried to teach her about compound interest. Without doing the math, I think she understood the concept. The other lesson - buy low and sell high. It's amazing how many people want to buy in a bull market and panic sell when it drops. I remember when tastycakes were a nickel! But I'm old. I remember seeing a Scotsman being interviewed on 60 minutes about the poor diets in that country and he said - yes I can almost smell the clay closing in around me now. You only live once!

My FIL is buying my MIL one for her birthday this year. She's super picky (has a ton of issues with my Range Rover - 'This is too hard to get into, etc...') and has something to say about everything. Any issues you think a retired 60-something from North Philly might find uncomfortable/objectionable? My FIL says he's getting 'all options'. Enjoy!
At least you're FIL won't get nagged about "missing options":)

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Our last several cars have been Swedish cars and I have finally decided that I am not an options guy. It just seemed to me that it was more things to go wrong...sensors go bad, motors burn out...etc. I wanted a car with a little get up and go. The European cars all seemed not give you the HP without forcing you to get all the options as well. With a kid starting college, I didn't want to pay for things that I really don't want.

I always loved Mustangs. I had a '78 when I was in my 20's and loved it. But when I looked at the Mustangs I realized that with still having a family, that back seat was just not going to work. Then I found the Ford Fusion Sport, 325 HP, twin turbo, AWD. It was much quicker than the Volvo S60 V6 that I test drove and cost about $15K less. Granted, I will not win many drag races against a true car enthusiast but I do love being able to go from 70 mph to 80 mph almost instant even when going up a hill. It also handles better than any car I ever had. I have had it for about 6 months and I love it. It is the family car I need and the sports car I want without breaking the bank. BTW my 409 magnet looks great on it.

God dammit, I sound like a Ford commercial.

Reactions: Nitwit
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT