ADVERTISEMENT

OT: ESPN 30 for 30 on Bill Walton

bcspsu

Jun 2, 2001
Did anybody else watch the 4 hour 30 for 30 on Bill Walton, of which the first two hours were on last Tuesday and the third and fourth hours were on this past Tuesday? I watched the whole thing and really enjoyed it. Whether you like him or not, Bill Walton is a really fascinating person who has led one of the most interesting lives that a person can lead. After watching this, I came to the belief that if he hadn't been injured chronically, he would be considered as one of the top 5 or 6 All-Time NBA players. He played the game like a guard even though he was 7 feet tall. Unfortunately, the bones in his ankles and feet just couldn't support his height.

Did anybody else watch the 4 hour 30 for 30 on Bill Walton, of which the first two hours were on last Tuesday and the third and fourth hours were on this past Tuesday? I watched the whole thing and really enjoyed it. Whether you like him or not, Bill Walton is a really fascinating person who has led one of the most interesting lives that a person can lead. After watching this, I came to the belief that if he hadn't been injured chronically, he would be considered as one of the top 5 or 6 All-Time NBA players. He played the game like a guard even though he was 7 feet tall. Unfortunately, the bones in his ankles and feet just couldn't support his height.
He and Maurice Lucas broke my middle school heart with their win over my 76ers. Oddly I became a bit of a fan of him and the Blazers after that. Still follow them. Pnly thing I disliked was his run with the Celtics.

Somewhere I have an Walton Autograph on an NBA All Star game ticket from my adulthood. We talked Grateful Dead fpr a few minutes at an event. He signed Aiko Aiko...which is fitting as today Dead and Company are in Philly. Heading out for Hoagies now then tailgating all afternoon in FDR Park.

Big Red was legendary for many reasons, lifestyle being one of them.

He and Maurice Lucas broke my middle school heart with their win over my 76ers. Oddly I became a bit of a fan of him and the Blazers after that. Still follow them. Pnly thing I disliked was his run with the Celtics.

Somewhere I have an Walton Autograph on an NBA All Star game ticket from my adulthood. We talked Grateful Dead fpr a few minutes at an event. He signed Aiko Aiko...which is fitting as today Dead and Company are in Philly. Heading out for Hoagies now then tailgating all afternoon in FDR Park.

Big Red was legendary for many reasons, lifestyle being one of them.
Even though I have lived in Pittsburgh all of my life, I was a Dr. J fan and, thus, a 76ers fan; I loved those early 80s Sixers teams and was so happy when they finally won it all in 1983. My brother was, and still is, a big Lakers fan. We loved the NBA back in the 80s and even into the mid to late 90s.

By the way, Maurice Lucas was from Pittsburgh and went to Schenley High School in the City League.

Very good 4-episode series of Walton on 30-30 ESPN. Encourage others to watch it.

Don't want to give a spoiler, but I didn't realize Walton had reached such low points personally, and it was good to see him smiling and happy.

One of my favorite sports stats -- Bill Walton attended more Grateful Dead concerts than his career number of NBA games played. Counting playoffs, he played in 517 games, and estimated he has seen 1,000 or slightly more Grateful Dead concerts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT