ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Detailed look at an 18th century battleship.

If you’re ever in Annapolis, stop at the Naval Academy Museum. They have an incredible collection of sailing ship models. It inspired my daughter to major in Naval Architecture at the Academy.
I was there years ago. There was ship where the Archeologist used an Endoscope to look in side the ship. What a find -- tables, chairs, bunkbeds, captain's desk. Biggest find the was the Ship Builder's Signature. The model was used in place of architectural drawings since most of the workers could not read. The could, however, build a full size object from the miniature models.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If you’re ever in Annapolis, stop at the Naval Academy Museum. They have an incredible collection of sailing ship models. It inspired my daughter to major in Naval Architecture at the Academy.
The HMS Victory is still commissioned and in port in Portsmouth UK. Open go public but currently under repair.

She was the flagship of Vice Admiral Lord Nelson at the Battle of Trafalgar.

Amazing how huge it is. Displacement of 3,500 Long tons. 850 men. 104 cannon, half weighing 2.25 tones each. The ammo of cannon balls/shot was 110 tons.

The complexity of all the rigging and how complex it was to set all the sails……. amazing.

Museum

Last edited:
Mystic Seaport in Connecticut is a great place to visit. Their shipyard always has a restoration/presrvation project going on. This summer one of the ships in their collection, the L,A. Dutton, was in drydock and open for visitors to walk through. Video link

Reactions: The Spin Meister
If you’re ever in Stockholm - gorgeous city by the way - you need to go to the Vasa museum. That was a massive warship that cast off for its maiden voyage and promptly sank in the harbor after toodling along for about 1400 yards. They raised her about 330 years later and she was very well preserved due to being in very cold, low salt water.

I thought it would be ho hum, but it was fascinating. If your wife, girlfriend gives you guff, the ABBA museum is about 200 yards away so she can stroll on over there and leave you alone

If you are into warships from the 17th century through WW2 a British guy from England named Drachinifel has a great youtube site. He spends hours going through the design, gunnery and systems of ships like HMS Victory, USS Constitution, USS Olympia, etc. He does behind the scenes video tours and really knows what he's talking about.

The old sailing vessels were amazing designs and quite complicated to operate. Back then a ship could be state of the art and effective for over 100 years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT