ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Demand seems pretty high for the Sept. 19 Penguins/Sabres exhibition game

mn78psu83

Nov 10, 2011
This is only anecdotal and does not pass the rigorous level of scientific survey required by some here, but ... We weren't going to buy our tickets for the Penguins/Sabres game. In the past week, though, we've had several people ask us if we would just buy our seats and sell the tickets to them because they have friends who want to go. We did just that. They were $45 each with a $5.00 NHL handling charge. Interesting. I would imagine a lot of kids will be bugging their parents to go.

Last edited:
This is only anecdotal and does not pass the rigorous level of scientific survey required by some here, but ... We weren't going to buy our tickets for the Penguins/Sabres game. In the past week, though, we've had several people ask us if we would just buy our seats and sell the tickets to them because they have friends who want to go. We did just that. They were $45 each with a $5.00 NHL handling charge. Interesting. I would imagine a lot of kids will be bugging there parents to go.
I'd be VERY surprised if it doesn't sell out.

Didn't they do one of these last year? I honestly can't remember.
If they did - anyone know how attendance was?

The Sabres played the Wild last year. Not sure about the attendance. All I know is that in Centre County alone I see a lot of folks wearing Penguins gear these days. Throw in that it's on Sept. 19 when lots of students who are Penguins fans will be here and I'd be surprised too if this one were not a sellout, even if people aren't guaranteed to see all of the stars out there.

The Sabres played the Wild last year. Not sure about the attendance. All I know is that in Centre County alone I see a lot of folks wearing Penguins gear these days. Throw in that it's on Sept. 19 when lots of students who are Penguins fans will be here and I'd be surprised too if this one were not a sellout, even if people aren't guaranteed to see all of the stars out there.
FWIW:

Just located a news report. Said attendance of 4,000 (so, 2/3 full) for Wild/Sabres game.
I'd think the Pens (or the Flyers) being on the ice would likely sell out the rest.....but who knows ($50 does seem awfully pricey for an exhibition game)

FWIW:

Just located a news report. Said attendance of 4,000 (so, 2/3 full) for Wild/Sabres game.
I'd think the Pens (or the Flyers) being on the ice would likely sell out the rest.....but who knows ($50 does seem awfully pricey for an exhibition game)
The price is high to me too. I should have been more clear. The $5.00 NHL handling charge was not per ticket. It was $5.00 total. $47.50 is close enough to $50.00. Students tickets will only be $25.00. The tickets range from $25.00 - $80.00.

LINK: Sabres vs. Penguins seating chart with prices

I'd be VERY surprised if it doesn't sell out.

Didn't they do one of these last year? I honestly can't remember.
If they did - anyone know how attendance was?

Got center ice on the glass $20 for the pair before the game last year. All the famous players were at some international tournament. This is definitely more popular this year. Nobody cared about it last year without the penguins.

Are there tickets available for this still? Where do I get those $50 tickets? PSU?
Here are the procedural steps (bottom of this article: LINK).

Ticket procedures for Sabres-Penguins pre-season game are as follows:

• Hockey season ticket holders who renewed their tickets for the 2017-18 season will have the right-of-first-refusal for their ticket locations, up to the number of season tickets purchased for the 2017-18 campaign. The right-of-first-refusal period will begin June 27 and run through July 10.
  • The pre-sale for Nittany Lion Club members and men's hockey season ticket holders for the NHL pre-season matchup will run from July 27 through July 30. Season ticket holders who want to purchase additional tickets (8 ticket limit) can do so during the pre-sale.
  • Tickets for the Sabres-Penguins contest will go on sale to the general public on August 1, subject to availability.
  • Penn State student tickets for the NHL pre-season game will go on- sale in mid-August, and will cost $25. Students will be able to purchase tickets through their Student Account Manager.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT