ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Computer help needed(again). Using Windows10 on my laptop

furfoot

Jan 28, 2002
and I screwed some setting up. Now I am a local administrator(whatever that is), and when I try to boot up I get a "processing Windows" instead of just opening up. Then I get a notice that I am being temporarily temporarily signed in and can't open any files, etc, etc.
Since this such a pita, how do I get back to being just a regular user? It used to just open to yahoo with no sign-in necessary. Yes, I know that I'm a computer dummy, no need to mention it.

I'm assuming you let the update happen in place, i.e. you were in Windows7, and let the upgrade / installer do its thing. Usually that's a recipe for disaster as you found out. It would be better if you could do the full install again, and not try to keep your previous configuration.

Hopefully before you started the process (Win7 -> Win10) you made a backup of all your important / critical files, photos, videos etc.

If not, then I am not sure anyone here can really walk you through the steps needed to undo what has happened to your PC. If its still possible, TRY to copy off your important stuff to an external USB hard drive, or USB thumb drive.

http://www.howtogeek.com/224342/how-to-clean-install-windows-10/

If a system restore doesn't work, firstly, you had to have a Windows username (whatever@outlook.com) and password. Doesn't it require a password or pin when you boot? That should get you started as the administrator! Go to settings (the far right icon on the taskbar)>All settings>Accounts. Now using your credentials, reaffirm you are the administrator and/or delete the other accounts listed there.
Beyond that, I'll tell the world, either install the free Macrium Reflect or purchase it (Advantage: incremental backups that take less than 60 seconds and restores less that 120 seconds) and purchase an inexpensive external drive to store your images daily or as often as you like. These gitches will become meaningless!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT