ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Charles Krauthammer has weeks to live

wbcincy

Apr 4, 2003
Columbus
I know many probably disagreed with his politics, but I always found Charles to be brilliant and classy. He was paralyzed while diving into a pool as a medical student at Harvard. He had books propped above him on clear glass so he could continue to study while in the hospital, eventually earning his MD and becoming a psychiatrist before turning to a career as a pulitzer winning political analyst. Originally a democrat, Charles became a conservative in the 80s (I believe). He was a frequent part of the panel on Special Report on Fox News, and always brought wit, humor, and a depth of knowledge and understanding that is often lacking. His book, "Things that Matter" is a great collection of his articles, not necessarily politically focused, that I would recommend. I know I will sorely miss hearing from Charles.

A goodbye letter from Charles.

Charles on dogs:

The way I see it, dogs had this big meeting, oh, maybe 20,000 years ago. A huge meeting — an international convention with delegates from everywhere. And that's when they decided that humans were the up-and-coming species and dogs were going to throw their lot in with them. The decision was obviously not unanimous. The wolves and dingoes walked out in protest.

Cats had an even more negative reaction. When they heard the news, they called their own meeting — in Paris, of course — to denounce canine subservience to the human hyperpower. (Their manifesto — La Condition Feline — can still be found in provincial bookstores.)

Cats, it must be said, have not done badly. Using guile and seduction, they managed to get humans to feed them, thus preserving their superciliousness without going hungry. A neat trick. Dogs, being guileless, signed and delivered. It was the beginning of a beautiful friendship.

I must admit that I've been slow to warm to dogs. I grew up in a non-pet-friendly home. Dogs do not figure prominently in Jewish-immigrant households. My father was not very high on pets. He wasn't hostile. He just saw them as superfluous, an encumbrance. When the Cossacks are chasing you around Europe, you need to travel light. (This, by the way, is why Europe produced far more Jewish violinists than pianists. Try packing a piano.)

My parents did allow a hint of zoological indulgence. I had a pet turtle. My brother had a parakeet. Both came to unfortunate ends. My turtle fell behind a radiator and was not discovered until too late. And the parakeet, God bless him, flew out a window once, never to be seen again. After such displays of stewardship, we dared not ask for a dog.

My introduction to the wonder of dogs came from my wife Robyn. She's Australian. And Australia, as lovingly recounted in Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country, has the craziest, wildest, deadliest, meanest animals on the planet. In a place where every spider and squid can take you down faster than a sucker-punched boxer, you cherish niceness in the animal kingdom. And they don't come nicer than dogs.

Robyn started us off slowly. She got us a border collie, Hugo, when our son was about 6. She knew that would appeal to me because the border collie is the smartest species on the planet. Hugo could 1) play outfield in our backyard baseball games, 2) do flawless front-door sentry duty, and 3) play psychic weatherman, announcing with a wail every coming thunderstorm.

When our son Daniel turned 10, he wanted a dog of his own. I was against it, using arguments borrowed from seminars on nuclear nonproliferation. It was hopeless. One giant "Please, Dad," and I caved completely. Robyn went out to Winchester, Va., found a litter of black Labs and brought home Chester.

Chester is what psychiatrists mean when they talk about unconditional love. Unbridled is more like it. Come into our house, and he was so happy to see you, he would knock you over. (Deliverymen learned to leave things at the front door.)

In some respects — Ph.D. potential, for example — I don't make any great claims for Chester. When I would arrive home, I fully expected to find Hugo reading the newspaper. Not Chester. Chester would try to make his way through a narrow sliding door, find himself stuck halfway and then look at me with total and quite genuine puzzlement. I don't think he ever got to understand that the rear part of him was actually attached to the front.

But it was Chester, who dispensed affection as unreflectively as he breathed, who got me thinking about this long-ago pact between humans and dogs. Cat lovers and the pet averse will just roll their eyes at such dogophilia. I can't help it. Chester was always at your foot or your hand, waiting to be petted and stroked, played with and talked to. His beautiful blocky head, his wonderful overgrown puppy's body, his baritone bark filled every corner of house and heart.

Then last month, at the tender age of 8, he died quite suddenly. The long, slobbering, slothful decline we had been looking forward to was not to be. When told the news, a young friend who was a regular victim of Chester's lunging love-bombs said mournfully, "He was the sweetest creature I ever saw. He's the only dog I ever saw kiss a cat."

Some will protest that in a world with so much human suffering, it is something between eccentric and obscene to mourn a dog. I think not. After all, it is perfectly normal, indeed, deeply human to be moved when nature presents us with a vision of great beauty. Should we not be moved when it produces a vision — a creature — of the purest sweetness?

He is a terrific science writer, actually. I'd been wondering what had been up with him, as I always read his columns in the Post but he's been absent since just after the recent Presidential election. He's lived a good, brave life and eschewed bullshit. If someone said that about me, I'd be satisfied.

Last edited:
Charles on his brother, Marcel:

Place: Los Angeles area emergency room.

Time: Various times over the past 18 years.

Scene: White male, around 50, brought in by ambulance, pale, short of breath, in distress.

Intern: You're going to be all right, sir. I'm replacing your fluids, and your blood studies and electrolytes should be back from the lab in just a few minutes.

Patient: Son, you wait for my electrolytes to come back and I'll be dead in 10 minutes. I ran the ICU here for 10 years. I'm pan-hypopit and in [circulatory] shock. I need 300 milligrams of hydrocortisone right now. In a bolus. RIGHT NOW. After that, I'll tell you what to run into my IV and what lab tests to run. Got it?

Intern: Yes, sir.

This scene played itself out at least a half-dozen times. The patient was my brother, Marcel. He'd call later to regale me with the whole play-by-play, punctuated with innumerable, incredulous can-you-believe-its. We laughed. I loved hearing that mixture of pride and defiance in his voice as he told me how he had yet again thought and talked his way past death.

Amazingly, he always got it right. True, he was a brilliant doctor, a professor of medicine at UCLA and a pulmonologist of unusual skill. But these diagnostic feats were performed lying flat on his back, near delirious and on the edge of circulatory collapse. Marcel instantly knew why. It was his cancer returning -- the rare tumor he'd been carrying since 1988 -- suddenly popping up in some new and life-threatening anatomical location. By the time he got to the ER and was looking up at the raw young intern, he'd figured out where it was and what to do.

I loved hearing these tales, in part because it brought out the old bravado in him -- the same courage that, in the 1980s, when AIDS was largely unknown and invariably fatal, led Marcel to bronchoscope patients with active disease. At the time, not every doctor was willing to risk being on the receiving end of the coughing and spitting up. "Be careful, Marce," I would tell him. He'd laugh.

Friends and colleagues knew this part of Marcel -- the headstrong cowboy -- far better than I did. We hadn't lived in the same city since he went off to medical school when I was 17. What I knew that they didn't, however, was the Marcel of before, the golden youth of our childhood together.

He was four years older and a magnificent athlete: good ballplayer, great sailor and the most elegant skier I'd ever seen. But he was generous with his gifts. He taught me most everything I ever learned about every sport I ever played. He taught me how to throw a football, hit a backhand, grip a 9-iron, field a grounder, dock a sailboat in a tailing wind.

He was even more generous still. Whenever I think back to my childhood friends -- Morgie, Fiedler, Klipper, the Beller boys -- I realize they were not my contemporaries but his. And when you're young, four years is a chasm. But everyone knew Marcel's rule: "Charlie plays." The corollary was understood: If Charlie doesn't play, Marcel doesn't play. I played. From the youngest age he taught me to go one-on-one with the big boys, a rare and priceless gift.

And how we played. Spring came late where we grew up in Canada, but every year our father would take us out of school early to have a full three months of summer at our little cottage in the seaside town of Long Beach, N.Y. For those three months of endless summer, Marcel and I were inseparable, vagabond brothers shuttling endlessly on our Schwinns from beach to beach, ballgame to ballgame. Day and night we played every sport ever invented, and some games, such as three-step stoopball and sidewalk spaldeen, we just made up ourselves. For a couple of summers we even wangled ourselves jobs teaching sailing at the splendidly named Treasure Island day camp nearby. It was paradise.

There is a black-and-white photograph of us, two boys alone. He's maybe 11, I'm 7. We're sitting on a jetty, those jutting piles of rock that little beach towns throw down at half-mile intervals to hold back the sea. In the photo, nothing but sand, sea and sky, the pure elements of our summers together. We are both thin as rails, tanned to blackness and dressed in our summer finest: bathing suits and buzz cuts. Marcel's left arm is draped around my neck with that effortless natural ease -- and touch of protectiveness -- that only older brothers know.

Whenever I look at that picture, I know what we were thinking at the moment it was taken: It will forever be thus. Ever brothers. Ever young. Ever summer.

My brother Marcel died on Tuesday, Jan. 17. It was winter. He was 59.

Very sad news. As a fellow warrior fighting pain for over two generations I have a small part of his suffering and can't imagine his absolute positive attitude for so many years AND facing death with such grace and dignity. Quite a man. I understand he had a lot to do with the Reagan tax proposal and was influential in Reagan's terms in office. I did not know that until hearing tributes to Charles today. It's as if he has already passed given the tributes I've seen today. May he pass in peace, without pain and ready to receive his reward. His life and mine have had several parallels and its not without some sobering consideration that I've watched today's events. He is all class, may be all be like him, me most of all.

Last edited:
Very sad news. As a fellow warrior fighting pain for over two generations I have a small part of his suffering and can't imagine his absolute positive attitude for so many years AND facing death with such grace and dignity. Quite a man. I understand he had a lot to due with the Reagan tax proposal and was influential in Reagan's terms in office. I did not know that until hearing tributes to Charles today. It's as if he has already passed given the tributes I've seen already. May be pass in peace, without pain and ready to receive his reward. His life and mine have had several parallels and its not without some sobering consideration that I've watched today's events. He is all class, may be all be like him, me most of all.
Good words Carl.

I enjoyed listening to Charles Krauthammer. I didn't always agree with him but he always came across as a respectful and decent human being. May the good lord bless him with a peaceful and painless exit.

e2f2d3b7e98175b2e2961440f618cbbdf377d3015c78560ed6fb2508cb5ac9ca.jpg

Charles passed away today. The world is a darker place for it. May we all live our lives every day in a manner that allows us in the end to depart with the same thoughts as Dr Krauthammer:

"I leave this life with no regrets. It was a wonderful life — full and complete with the great loves and great endeavors that make it worth living. I am sad to leave, but I leave with the knowledge that I lived the life that I intended."

Fare well Dr. Krauthammer. I found great wisdom in the words you spoke and the ideals you called to my attention. Powerful thinker and the writer of that very excellent book "Words That Count". May God draw Charles to his inner circle or council., and may He produce and release another such gifted intellectual into our human family for humanity's betterment..

The tributes are amazing ... People on both sides of the aisle as well as all different beliefs listened and respected his opinions. Pretty amazing in todays climate to have the power that everyone stopped and listened when you spoke. RIP Charles the world is indeed a lesser place today and you will be missed. May the Lord wrap his arms around your family and give them peace.

Fare well Dr. Krauthammer. I found great wisdom in the words you spoke and the ideals you called to my attention. Powerful thinker and the writer of that very excellent book "Words That Count". May God draw Charles to his inner circle or council., and may He produce and release another such gifted intellectual into our human family for humanity's betterment..

The book is called "Things That Matter"

Reactions: TheGLOV and T J
I could only hope in such a small way to emulate Dr. Krauthammer. His life's work is a testament to grace under extreem pressure and stress. He wore a smile every time I saw him on his face and in his commentaries. Nearly everyone stopped when he spoke.

My younger brother asked me who a good person would be to listen to in the news area and I sent him one name, Krauthammer! We both lost a friend we never met but loved and always will cherish. ..

Sadness fills my thoughts each time I see a tribute to Charles. Yet I know he would want each of us to be happy. He was and he faced life's vagaries and challenges with that peaceful grace and pleasure I need to personally attain. A wonderful man has gone on to his reward and the world is a lesser place today.

I could only hope in such a small way to emulate Dr. Krauthammer. His life's work is a testament to grace under extreem pressure and stress. He wore a smile every time I saw him on his face and in his commentaries. Nearly everyone stopped when he spoke.

My younger brother asked me who a good person would be to listen to in the news area and I sent him one name, Krauthammer! We both lost a friend we never met but loved and always will cherish. ..

Sadness fills my thoughts each time I see a tribute to Charles. Yet I know he would want each of us to be happy. He was and he faced life's vagaries and challenges with that peaceful grace and pleasure I need to personally attain. A wonderful man has gone on to his reward and the world is a lesser place today.

f667558b4998efb8bfde7c45e83409b7a1731da7db481762add2c7eb01f1e146.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT