ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Calling all Mainers!

bytir

Jul 4, 2011
I know there are many here either from or that have spent a lot of time in Maine - so I am asking for some help! Wife and I are leaving Central PA early tomorrow morning for a 17 day sojourn to Maine for hiking. Will have 4 days in Baxter SP (Millinocket), 1 in Lubec, 4 upper coastal (Addison), and 4 in Acadia (Bar Harbor). The itinerary is pretty much set, but i have left some exploring time and would like any suggestions and opinions for the following for the areas identified only.
  1. Must see places
  2. Casual food establishments
  3. Craft beer opportunities
  4. Whale watching (considering smaller tour out of Lubec vs. large boat Bar Harbor tour)
I appreciate any help - we are taking our time going up and stopping to visit relatives on the way - so i will keep an eye on this till Monday at least. My thanks in advance for the wisdom of the board!

Take your passport and go from Lubec over to Campobello Island. The lighthouse there is a good hike. But watch the tides. And the timezone change (it's on Atlantic time).

Reactions: NedFromYork
Strongly recommend visiting the "other" part of Acadia National Park, which is the entrance off the Schoodic peninsula; not far (via air) from the main part of the park, but close to an hour drive from Bar Harbor

It's beautiful and less crowded than the main park areas, which are also excellent

https://acadiamagic.com/schoodic/

**additional note -- for casual meal (and re-fueling after hiking, etc.) check Moody's Diner near Waldoboro on Rt. 1; old-time place with good food

https://moodysdiner.com/

Reactions: bytir
You're picking a great time to go. Pretty much any place along the coast is "must see'" and you are already going to some special places. Eat where the locals eat.

Take your passport and go from Lubec over to Campobello Island. The lighthouse there is a good hike. But watch the tides. And the timezone change (it's on Atlantic time).
I second that. Took a walk to the East Quoddy Light and almost had to spend the night there.

Reactions: kgilbert78
I know there are many here either from or that have spent a lot of time in Maine - so I am asking for some help! Wife and I are leaving Central PA early tomorrow morning for a 17 day sojourn to Maine for hiking. Will have 4 days in Baxter SP (Millinocket), 1 in Lubec, 4 upper coastal (Addison), and 4 in Acadia (Bar Harbor). The itinerary is pretty much set, but i have left some exploring time and would like any suggestions and opinions for the following for the areas identified only.
  1. Must see places
  4. Whale watching (considering smaller tour out of Lubec vs. large boat Bar Harbor tour)
I appreciate any help - we are taking our time going up and stopping to visit relatives on the way - so i will keep an eye on this till Monday at least. My thanks in advance for the wisdom of the board!
Just a general recommendation: eat lobster every meal except breakfast.

1. Must see places

Cadillac Mountain for sunrise and sunset is a must. Also if you're into astronomy, it's a great place to view the stars. Acadia, in general, is loaded with must-sees. Basically, do it. All of it.

Bar Harbor itself sucks IMO. It's a bunch of t-shirt and tchotchke shops. Jordan's is a decent place to grab a meal, but otherwise I didn't care for other places. If you like the OCMD boardwalk, you'll probably love the town of Bar Harbor. Otherwise.....just focus on Acadia.

Atlantic Brewing Company is in (well, just outside) Bar Harbor, which is technically within the confines of Acadia. It’s been many years since I’ve been there, but the 10 minute tour is worth it as it is followed by a free pint (try the blueberry ale). Not the best microbrew, but considering the ambiance and natural beauty of the Maine coastal region, definitely worth checking out.

1. Must see places

Plus, if you get to go through Portland....

Becky's Diner and The Holy Donut are musts.

Also if you want to hit LLBean, the flagship store in Freeport is open 24/7. Freeport can be a bit of a rat race, but a 2AM trip to LLBean is always rewarding.

-oh, and Moosehead Lake is spectacular in September, if you get a chance, see it

Also if you want to hit LLBean, the flagship store in Freeport is open 24/7. Freeport can be a bit of a rat race, but a 2AM trip to LLBean is always rewarding.

-oh, and Moosehead Lake is spectacular in September, if you get a chance, see it

Speaking of Moosehead Lake--I won't be able to make it this year.

Are there places within an 1-1.5h outside of Portland where I might be able to see a moose?

No doubt Acadia is great for hiking.

If you can, give it a try for biking; rent a bike in Bar Harbor, and go to the carriage trails that criss-cross Acadia (tip; don't start at the bottom, it's a steep ride to the other sections). The trails are wide and well-maintained with fabulous scenery; ideal for hiking, biking, or a carriage ride.

th

My wife and I did Portland, Route 1 and Acadia this time last year. It will be cool in the mornings and at night so be prepared.

1. Thurston's Lobster Pound
2. Jordan Pound for popovers in afternoon
3. If you are into hiking....
A. Ocean Trail
B. Penobscot and Sargent Loop
C. Pemetic Mtn.

4. Atlantic Brewing is in dtown Bar Harbor. Decent vibe but was empty when we were there.

5. Pick up anything from Allagash Brewing based out of Portland. Fantastic beer.

iEM8tMQdB6R48ELn9

Last edited:
Speaking of Moosehead Lake--I won't be able to make it this year.

Are there places within an 1-1.5h outside of Portland where I might be able to see a moose?
The further north you go, the better your chances- but they can pop up anywhere

4. Atlantic Brewing is in dtown Bar Harbor. Decent vibe but was empty when we were there.

They have a tasting room / store / restaurant downtown but the brewery is outside of town. Both are worth visiting in my opinion.

Bar Harbor / Acadia is my favorite place to visit. I’d recommend a carriage ride in the park. Very relaxing.

Just a general recommendation: eat lobster every meal except breakfast.
They have some good fried clams places too. There was one on the beach (rocks, actually--this is Maine) by the twin lights south of Portland. Not sure if it is still there.

One of my best meals was at a place in Camden where I had wild Maine blueberry pancakes with local maple syrup and coffee with fresh cream for breakfast.

I second that. Took a walk to the East Quoddy Light and almost had to spend the night there.
Beautiful, though, isn't it? I'm not sure I could do it any more--there was a bit of climbing involved over somewhat damp terrain.... But I was glad I did.

That was also the same trip I got to see Roger Clemens pitch at Fenway--and we went there without tickets and lucked into a pair dead on 1st base (and a parking spot right in front of the stadium).

Reactions: Pocono Lion
Bob's Clam Hut - Kittery

Lone Pine Brewing - Portland
Definitive Brewing - Portland

Too many good places to list, but these are really good. Any lobster pound will be excellent.

They have some good fried clams places too. There was one on the beach (rocks, actually--this is Maine) by the twin lights south of Portland. Not sure if it is still there.

One of my best meals was at a place in Camden where I had wild Maine blueberry pancakes with local maple syrup and coffee with fresh cream for breakfast.
Cretin. How could you possibly speak of fried claims in the same conversation with lobster?

Cretin. How could you possibly speak of fried claims in the same conversation with lobster?
My father's family is from Essex, Massachusetts, where the fried clam was created. Heck my great, great grandfather was, among other things, a clammer.

BTW, this was the place in Maine I as thinking about....

The Lobster Shack at Two Lights

Link

My father's family is from Essex, Massachusetts, where the fried clam was created. Heck my great, great grandfather was, among other things, a clammer.

BTW, this was the place in Maine I as thinking about....

The Lobster Shack at Two Lights

Link
is that one of those, what do they call it in rhode island, smushies or somethign like that?

Copied this from another forum .... it is long, and I haven't even read it. But if any of these lobster rolls are as good as what I had from Shuck Shack Truck at Tree House a month ago, I'd be happy!
------------
I used to go to a conference every other year that was held in Maine, Vermont, or New Hampshire. I would always hit a couple of lobster shacks each time out. One word of warning: I love lobster. I mean love. But after eating it a couple of times, I'm usually ready for something else.

I keep a list of lobster shacks in my notes, though this is a little out of date by now. There are some things you can do in Maine, outside of eating lobster. Kittery, at the southern edge, is a big outlet center. Farther north is the town of Freeport, home of LL Bean (and also Thomas Moser furniture, beautiful stuff). I would probably try to fly in and out of Portland if connections are decent.

Harraseeket is a good one in Freeport. The Lobster Dock is great, with plenty of seating and good views, but a bit of a drive. You can check out most of the options for wherever you'll be from the writeups and links below (the Lonely Planet link doesn't work any more, but I included it anyway).

Maine Lobster Shacks

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs ... tId=361984 (doesn't work any more)

http://brewsterhouse.com/2012/03/06/sec ... -treasure/

https://maps.google.com/maps/ms?msa=0&m ... urce=embed

Secret Lobster Shacks of Maine (with Map to the Treasure!)
Blog: Brewster House News - 6 March 2012
By: Scott Thomas
Tucked away in a hidden harbor, nestled between two buildings, at the end of a pier, Maine's lobster shacks may be where you least expect them. Oh, sure, many visitors have heard of some of them - Red's Eats, Barnacle Billy's, The Clam Shack. But we think there are many, many more that far fewer have discovered. Some have been "exposed" by Travel + Leisure magazine's 2009 article, "10 Best Lobster Shacks in Maine", but many others are found only by a few who stumble across them, or are given directions and recommendations, by a sympathetic innkeeper or host.

Several years ago we created a map of Maine lobster shacks that remains one of our most popular links today. We'll be using that map, expanded and updated with photos where possible (many are our own photos - where that wasn't possible, we've included photos from the website of the lobster shack, if available, so apologies if any links end up broken due to moved photos).

The full map is below, and we'll be journeying from south to north up the Maine coast, with 19 lobster shacks to visit.

1. Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier, Kittery Point
Just across the Piscataqua River bridge from Portsmouth, NH, at Kittery Point, Maine, is Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier. They've been boiling and serving for over 50 years, and are well known by visitors and locals alike..

2. Shore Road Lobster
Off a back road, along the coast, in York, is a little red country store that serves excellent, fresh, and inexpensive, lobster and lobster rolls. There are a few picnic tables outside, as well as a small dining area inside. They don't have a website, but their reviews on TripAdvisor are glowing! We've tried it, and we loved it. Shore Road Lobster is only a short drive from Cape Neddick Lighthouse (the Nubble), so it made for a great afternoon for us!

3. Barnacle Billy's, Perkins Cove
Perkins Cove is, itself, a well-kept secret. A beautiful hidden cove, just down Shore Road from Ogunquit, appears almost magically, as you leave the world behind. Barnacle Billy's is an institution for those who've tried it, and a secret well-concealed from those who haven't. Enjoy a wonderful lobster dinner (or other great seafood meal) at the waters' edge, and just across the way is Goat Island Lighthouse - another gem rarely seen by visitors.

4. The Clam Shack, Kennebunkport
In beautiful Kennebunkport, on the bridge over the Kennebunk River, the Clam Shack is considered (along with Red's Eats) one of the best, if not the best, place for lobster rolls in the entire State of Maine. Eat outside and stroll along the bridge, enjoying the sights and sounds of the harbor and the town.

5. Nunan's Lobster Hut, Kennebunkport
Like the Clam Shack, Nunan's is a no-frills experience, that has been serving up the great red treat for over 50 years.

6. The Lobster Shack at Two Lights
Taking its name from the twin lighthouses across the road, the Lobster Shack at Two Lights sits atop a bluff, looking out at Casco Bay. Dress warmly if you visit, as the wind across the bluff can be fierce, but the views are as wonderful as the lobster! If you walk out the rocks below the lobster shack, on a clear day you can see Portland Head Lighthouse in the distance.

7. Days Crabmeat and Lobster, Yarmouth
Just along the side of US-1 as you pass from Yarmouth to Freeport is Days Crabmeat and Lobster. Not only can you eat at the takeout area, but this is one of the best places for lobster to take home (packed to travel) in the area.

8. Cindy's Clams, Freeport
Barely known outside of Freeport, Cindy's Clams has been recognized as having the very best clams (not to mention some pretty fair lobster). It's funky atmosphere and silly signs just makes dining at Cindy's more of a pleasure!

9. Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster, Freeport
Freeport's harbor is about a mile or so from its well-known shops, but most visitors find their way there to enjoy fresh, local, lobster, right off the boats. Eat outdoors or inside, you'll have a nice view of the harbor, and across to the lovely peninsula where Wolfe Neck State Park is located. Arrive early in the summer, as lines can be quite long.

10. Linda Bean's Perfect Maine Lobster Roll, various locations
Linda Bean is L.L. Bean's granddaughter, and has certainly inherited good business sense. Linda's lobster roll shops are in Freeport, Portland, Rockport, Port Clyde, not to mention Hull, Massachusetts and Delray Beach, Florida. She also has Linda Bean's Maine Kitchen and Topside Tavern in Freeport.

11. Estes Lobster House, Harpswell
Estes Lobster House has been serving lobster since 1947, but since it is at the tip of Harpswell Neck, it can be a bit off the beaten track for visitors. For example, the directions include "follow Route 123 until you come to the sea." Not surprisingly, you can also arrive at Estes Lobster House by boat, as the dock is just feet away. Harpswell is a classic lobstering town, so you're assured of the best and freshest seafood you can find!

12. Five Islands Lobster Co., Five Islands
Five Islands is located near the tip of Georgetown Island, along the Maine coast. The drive is beautiful, as you pass harbors and villages, then the entrance to lovely Reid State Park with its rocks and beaches. Five Islands is a hidden jewel, with lovely islands just offshore, and a lighthouse across the water. Lobster is served at picnic tables on the dock, so you can watch your supper being brought in by the lobster boats.

13. Lighthouse Lobster Shack, Wiscasset
Located at the relatively new Maine Heritage Village, the Lighthouse Lobster Shack is right along US-1. The lobster shack gets fresh lobster daily, so their seafood is always fresh.

14. Red's Eats, Wiscasset
Reds Eats in Wiscasset, like the Clam Shack in Kennebunkport, is a perennial nominee for the best lobster shack in the state. They do not have a website, but they finally did get a Facebook page (the link above is to their Facebook page). In the summer the lines for this pound-size lobster roll can stretch around the corner and down the walk near the river, as visitors wait to sample the delicious fare.

15. Trevette Country Store, Barter's Island
The Trevette Country Store doesn't have a website, but it certainly has its loyal customers! Just over the Barter's Island bridge, the store serves up lobster rolls said to be fabulous and inexpensive.

16. The Lobster Dock, Boothbay Harbor (went here from Gordon Conference, 2010, nice beach restaurant type place)
More a restaurant than a lobster shack, the Lobster Dock has plenty of indoor and outdoor seating, and magnificent views of Boothbay Harbor. Watch your lobster slip into a big pot with an ear of corn, and wait for the succulent delight as your meal is served at a table on the deck overlooking the water. Mmmmmm!

17. Shaws Fish and Lobster Wharf, New Harbor
Located near Pemaquid Point Lighthouse, in New Harbor, Shaws is a perennial member of the Travel + Leisure "Top Ten" list. It is situated overlooking the beautiful harbor, where you can also take puffin watching or whale watching tours in this tiny coastal hideaway town.

18. Waterman's Beach Lobster, South Thomaston
Down the hill from the lovely town of Thomaston, Waterman's Beach Road leads to the water, and to Waterman's Beach Lobster. Over two decades of serving lobster has made this a local favorite, and, for those visitors who can find their way to it, a favorite of visitors as well.

19. Bagaduce Lunch, Brooksville
Other than its mention in Travel + Leisure, and lots of favorable online reviews, Bagaduce Lunch is another "best kept secret." With no website we can find, there are still loyal fans who post glowing reviews of the tiny lobster shack in the gorgeous Blue Hill area.

20. Thurston's Lobster Pound, Bass Harbor
Not far from Bar Harbor, but, once again, out of the mainstream, Thurston's is at Bass Harbor, not far from Bass Harbor Head Lighthouse. Exploring this area is a real treat, and the beauty of the coast, the offshore islands, and the lighthouse can easily be rewarded with a treat of lobster at Thurstons.

No doubt there are others (certainly we haven't hit them all - yet!). Feel free to suggest your favorites in the comments!
Scott & Ruth
Brewster House Bed & Breakfast

Read more: http://www.lonelyplanet.com/travelblogs ... z21aOQBbSC

https://www.mainetravelmaven.com/my-fav ... er-shacks/
My favorite Maine lobster shacks
When I eat lobster, I take no prisoners. All that’s identifiable in the carnage left behind are the eyes, antennae, swimmeretes (those feathery appendages on the underside of the body), and dismembered carcass. Finished, I’m literally dripping in lobster juice and goo.
The only place for such a messy operation is a classic lobster shack, a sometimes rough-and-tumble operation that’s usually within sight and scent of the ocean.
I’ve dined at lobster outposts from Kittery to Eastport. Some serve only lobster, others a full menu ranging from hot dogs to blueberry pie.
I favor the in-the-rough, order-at-the-counter, eat-out-on-a-picnic-table shacks. These are usually pet friendly and often come with free entertainment: You can watch lobstermen unload their catch and refuel and restock their boats. No need to dress up – better to dress down so you can skip the bib. Another plus: Most allow you to bring the go-withs, from cheese and crackers to salads and rolls to wine and beer.
And remember that while lobster prices reflect market conditions, the farther you travel from the trappings of civilization and the deeper you get into bona fide lobstering territory, the fewer frills and the less costly the goods.

MY TOP CHOICE (s)
Round Pond Lobstermen’s Co-op, Round Pond
When given a choice, I opt for simplicity: If the joint does only one thing, there’s a better chance it’s doing it right. Take Round Pond Lobstermen’s Co-op (Round Pond Harbor, Bristol, Pemaquid Peninsula, 207-529-5725), a more-rustic-than-most spot overlooking a picture-postcard harbor. Buddy Poland serves lobster, steamers, corn-on-the-cob, and chips. Period. When he runs low on lobster, he saunters down the dock, climbs into his dingy, putt-putts out to a lobster car – that floating crate where the crustaceans are stored – and brings back reinforcements.

Muscongus Bay Lobster, Round Pond
For those who don’t like lobster, there’s Muscongus Bay Lobster (Round Pond Harbor, Bristol, Pemaquid Peninsula, 207-529-2251), a larger and wee bit fancier place with a bigger menu. I have friends who favor this spot not only because of the expanded choices – lobster and crab rolls, stews and chowders – but also because it has some sheltered tables, if the weather looks threatening. It also serves fresh Pemaquid oysters, which gives it points in my book. And it earns extra points for having a touch tank filled with all manner of slimy and spiky sea critters for the kids.

OTHER CHOICES
Chauncey Creek, Kittery Point
While those are the two shacks I frequent, there are plenty of others along the coast. Another classic is Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier (16 Chauncey Creek Road, Kittery Point, 207-439-1030), which overlooks tidal Chauncey Creek (prettier at high tide). Like Muscongus, it has both deck and sheltered seating (heated), all at brightly colored picnic tables. The menu has choices for landlubbers – chicken dinner, hot dog – as well as mussels, oysters, cherrystones, tuna roll, and even shrimp, but lobster is why folks come. Be forewarned: It can be very crowded, parking is a nightmare, and bug spray is a must.

Cape Pier Chowder House, Cape Porpoise
The scenery is top notch at the Cape Pier Chowder House (79 Pier Road, Cape Porpoise, Kennebunkport, 207-967-0123), which tops a pier in a traditional lobstering village. The views (bring binoculars) extend to Goat Island Light House. There’s inside seating, so it’s weatherproof, which gives it a longer season than most; it opens in April and goes to November. The menu has a lot more than lobster, and it’s open for breakfast on weekends.

Lobster Shack, Cape Elizabeth
If you’ve had enough of quaint fishing village vistas, head to The Lobster Shack (222 Two Lights Road, Cape Elizabeth, 207-799-1677). It has everything: rocky ledges, tide pools, crashing surf, a broad menu, dive-bombing seagulls, big-ocean views, and a lighthouse (with foghorn – avoid on a foggy day or bring earplugs). It’s a classic with frills: dining inside and out and a menu that includes sandwiches and fried seafood.

Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster, S. Freeport
Take a break from power shopping L.L. Bean’s and the outlets and head to Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster (Main Street, Town Wharf, South Freeport, 207-865-4349), a popular spot on the working harbor. Not much fussiness here; picnic tables on pavement and a tiny dining room are the seating options. The menu, however, is pretty extensive for a lobster joint. You can decide for yourself whether fried clams are better battered or breaded. BE FOREWARNED: In 2011, Harraseeket Lunch and Lobster began charging customers for water, which is outrageous. On one visit, the chowder served was barely warm and tasted as if it came from a can. It can do better, and so can you; go elsewhere (such as nearby Day’s, on Route 1, with seating behind overlooking a tidal estuary).

Five Islands, Georgetown
Five Islands (1447 Five Islands Road, Georgetown, 207-371-2990) tops a lot of lists for favorite lobster shack, and for good reasons. The setting is idyllic. It tips a finger of bridge-connected islands. Sit on the wharf – that’s the only choice – and watch sailboats play hide-and-seek amid the spruce-topped islands in the harbor and lobster boats chug to and fro pulling traps. The headliner is lobster, but there are plenty of other options, from chowder and fish ’n’ chips (hand-breaded) to burgers and chicken tenders. It earns points for making its own tartar and mustard dill sauces and cilantro mayo. You get the idea: These folks are passionate about their products.

Waterman’s Beach, S. Thomaston
No less an authority than the James Beard Foundation gave Waterman’s Beach Lobster (343 Waterman’s Beach Road, South Thomaston, 207-596-7819) an award for being an “American Classic.’’ Order at the window, then grab a picnic table overlooking a working pier and island-studded Mussel Ridge Channel. It doesn’t get much better than that. But it is tiny, and given such a big reputation, expect to wait. And do save room for the homemade pie.

Miller’s, Spruce Head
If the line’s too long, or you prefer something a bit more remote, segue over to nearby Miller’s Lobster Pound (Eagle Quarry Road, Spruce Head, 207-594-7406) on quiet Wheeler’s Bay. It’s on a working wharf, and if you time it right, you can watch lobster boats unload their catches. The emphasis is on lobster, but it serves other shellfish, hot dogs, and homemade pies, too. There is some sheltered seating. Beer and wine are served.

Fish House Fish, Monhegan Island
It doesn’t get much more in the rough than Fish House Fish: a fish shack on a beach on an island. Perfection! You can get boiled lobsters as well as lobster rolls, crab rolls, seafood stews and chowders, and even appetizers in the form of local smoked fish. Take it all to a picnic table on the beach, overlooking Monhegan’s lobsterboat-filled harbor, with Manana Island as a backdrop.

Perry’s, Surry
On a clear day, the views from Perry's lobster shack in surry, Maine, extend over the ocean to Mount Desert Island.Hilary Nangle photo.Way, way off the radar screen (and the highway) is Perry’ Long’s Lobster Shack (1076 Newbury Neck Road, Surry, 207-667-1955). It’s true to its name, with just a handful of picnic tables on a pier. The menu is limited; it serves lobsters, mussels, corn-on-the-cob, lobster rolls (1/4 pound premium lobster meat on a fresh, chewy bun), crab rolls, and—for the kiddos—corn dogs. And save room for the ice cream sandwiches made with farm-made ice cream (emphasis on cream) and homemade chocolate cookies. People come for those, alone. And the views? Over the ocean waters to Mount Desert Island.

Thurston’s, Bernard (Mt. Desert Island)
Everyone knows Thurston’s Lobster Pound (Steamboat Wharf Road, Bernard, 207-244-7600) is the best lobster spot on Mount Desert Island. The two-story, screened-in dining area is built on a wharf above lobster boat-clogged Bass Harbor in a classic fishing village. Because it caters not only to tourists but also to the island’s well-heeled summer residents, it’s quite a bit snazzier (perhaps pricier, too) than most lobster spots. Still, it’s an order-at-the-counter place – just be sure to read the rules before doing so.

Lunt’s Dockside Deli, Frenchboro Island
For the real deal, take the Bass Harbor Cruises lunch cruise to tiny Frenchboro, on Long Island, eight miles off Mount Desert Island, in Blue Hill Bay, for lunch at Lunt’s Dockside Deli (207-334-2902). Lunt’s is built on a working wharf over a harbor that’s filled with working boats, not yachts. En route, Captain Kim Strauss, who has been navigating these waters for more than 55 years, not only shares lobster lore, but also will haul up a trap or two and explain the whole process. And that knowledge makes you appreciate the critters even more.

Quoddy Bay Lobster, Eastport
You can't beat the view or the food at Quoddy Bay Lobster in Eastport, Maine. Hilary Nangle photoWhen the weather’s clear, there’s nothing finer than lobster at Quoddy Bay Lobster, in way, way downeast Eastport. Watch boats unload their catch, watch the tide change, and simply soak in the views over Passamaquoddy Bay. Heaven!

The 10 Best Lobster Shacks in Maine
Submitted by Susan on July 14, 2010 – 8:11 pm
Nothing says summer in New England better than lobster, and Maine serves up some of the juiciest claws, the tenderest tails, and the most overstuffed lobster rolls from seasonal shacks.
Adrien Glover and Peter Jon Lindberg, writing in the August 2010 issue of Travel+Leisure have come up with a list of the best lobster shacks in the state that claims a 3,500-mile coastline.
Here are their choices:
Five Islands Lobster Company, 1447 Five Islands Road, Georgetown, Maine
Waterman’s Beach Lobster, 343 Waterman’s Beach Road, South Thomaston, Maine
Shaw’s Fish & Lobster Wharf, 129 Route 32, New Harbor, Maine
Red’s Eats, 41 Water Street, Wiscasset, Maine
Morse Lobster at Estes Lobster House, 1906 Harpswell Neck Road, South Harpswell, Maine
Harraseeket Lunch & Lobster, 35 Main Street, South Freeport, Maine
Clam Shack, 2 Western Avenue (Route 9), Kennebunkport, Maine
Barnacle Billy’s, 50 & 70 Perkins Cove Road, Ogunquit, Maine
Chauncey Creek Lobster Pier, 16 Chauncey Creek Road, Kittery Point, Maine
Bagaduce Lunch, 145 Frank’s Flat, Penobscot, Maine

A proper lobster roll contains lobster without mayonnaise - a small amount of lettuce is ok to help contain the melted butter

Reactions: Aardvark86
A proper lobster roll contains lobster without mayonnaise - a small amount of lettuce is ok to help contain the melted butter
Yep, that is exactly how my Shuck Shack roll was - all lobster, barely any lettuce at all, The offered a cold roll (what I had, did not notice any mayo) or a hot roll (with butter)

Thanks for all the suggestions! It is not likely we will get to Portland other than possibly a drive-by on the way home. So far the trip has been great, and our fist Air BnB experience has been a positive. We are just outside of Baxter on a lake and can look across to the park / mountains. Leaves are just starting - so mostly green and just gorgeous. Did part of the AT yesterday @ Katahdin Stream Falls to a little over half the way to the summit. I was going to push further as we were just below the tree line, but it was overcast and getting windy as a storm was rolling in. We just got off the trail before it started to rain - was pretty windy all day.

Two PSU related experiences on the way down the trail. A group of 4 - 30 something hikers were coming down the hill from the summit and passed us above the falls meeting a 5th friend that was sleeping against a tree near the falls. They topped for a break when they got to him, and as we passed them one of the girls/ladies asked if i was a Penn State fan (referring to my hat and also the chipmunk logo on my fleece being exposed under my raincoat) and i simply said "yes". She replied with a smart ass tone of "yeah - I could tell" and a few of her friends got a chuckle. One of the group told her she was an ass, so i didn't respond. Pissed me off but i bit my tongue as my wife was with me, and at my age and physical state a 5 to 1 ratio 2 miles deep into the woods isn't probably a good idea. When we got to the other side of the falls my wife asked me WTF was that about, and I told her she probably was in one of three categories;
  1. Fan of another team
  2. clueless non sports fan that ha bought the msm narrative
  3. snooty bit#* that was commenting on my attire not all being adorned with Columbia or North Face logos
I tried not to let it bother me as we were headed back to the trail-head, but it did for a little until we were passed by an older (in his 60's and very fit) gentleman coming down from his summit hike and heading back to his vehicle / camp at the trail-head. When he saw my hat he said - hey a Penn Stater and stopped to shake my hand and chatted briefly as we walked. He graduated back in the 70's and is from NC now. He said they were being warned at the summit from staff to head down the mountain as the front came in - winds were already 45 mph+ and temp was in low 30's. As he walked ahead, he said "oh, and we are doing pretty good carrying on post Paterno". I took that in a positive way, even though some here I am sure won't. Doing so let me put the earlier experience behind me and get back to what was important - the hike and my wife!

We are!

Reactions: royboy
BUMP

What is everyone's thoughts on Pemaquid Point and Boothbay Harbor?

I'll be going up for my first summertime Maine trip in August--usually a fall/winter thing for us--and I'd like to explore the area. Is it worth the drive from Portland (where we'll be staying)?

Also, how much worse are the crowds in summer vs. fall (leaf peepers)?

BUMP

I'll be going up for my first summertime Maine trip in August--usually a fall/winter thing for us--and I'd like to explore the area. Is it worth the drive from Portland (where we'll be staying)?

I think it's worth the drive. Pemaquid Point is beautiful as long as it's not foggy, which it often is in the summer. Boothbay is a nice place - shops, restaurants. We usually go to Boothbay for the Cabbage Island Clambake which I highly recommend. They take you out on a boat to this little island. Feed you fish chowder, two lobsters, corn, potatoes, steamed clams, hard boiled egg and blueberry cake.

The traffic can be nasty in the summer especially around Wiscasset and right in Boothbay so plan accordingly.

I think it's worth the drive. Pemaquid Point is beautiful as long as it's not foggy, which it often is in the summer. Boothbay is a nice place - shops, restaurants. We usually go to Boothbay for the Cabbage Island Clambake which I highly recommend. They take you out on a boat to this little island. Feed you fish chowder, two lobsters, corn, potatoes, steamed clams, hard boiled egg and blueberry cake.

The traffic can be nasty in the summer especially around Wiscasset and right in Boothbay so plan accordingly.

Thanks for the heads up. I'm interested to see what the crowds are like--I usually go in October, which has varying numbers of people around. I've been in Portland when it's horrible, and other times it's not so bad. Last December I went to the Northern Lights thing at LL Bean and stayed in Portland--was pleasantly amazed at the lack of people. We walked into our favorite restaurant at 6:30pm and there was no wait.

BUMP

Absolutely worth seeing.

Portland is nice, but the real attraction in Maine IMO are the peninsulas and the small towns on the coast.

Absolutely worth seeing.

Portland is nice, but the real attraction in Maine IMO are the peninsulas and the small towns on the coast.

Agreed. I did Route 1 from Bar Harbor down to Wells last October, and seeing all the coastal towns was amazing. Antique shops and such aren't my thing, but seeing the Fort Knox area/Camden/Rockport/Rockland was amazing.

Edit: One of my favorite state parks I've seen so far is Two Lights in Cape Elizabeth. It's not the biggest or flashiest. But, there's usually no one (or close to no one) there. I enjoy getting a packed breakfast/lunch and sipping Moxie on the rocks for hours.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT