ADVERTISEMENT

OT but very big to me

Marylovesthelions

Gold Member
Sep 29, 2008
Mt Dora FL
To be there with the Blue Band playing our National Anthem and 109,500 fans loudly singing was spine tingling. You will never see this sort of patriotism in the media. You have to be there. I will always be very, very proud to be a Lion and an American. My eyes teared up and my mind envisioned the thousands of kids who died in battle for us. What a great weekend!

To be there with the Blue Band playing our National Anthem and 109,500 fans loudly singing was spine tingling. You will never see this sort of patriotism in the media. You have to be there. I will always be very, very proud to be a Lion and an American. My eyes teared up and my mind envisioned the thousands of kids who died in battle for us. What a great weekend!

Not the media’a job to report on patriotism. It’s personal for many people - my career Marine father included. He has a tattoo he got at 18 in Okinawa that is the EGA and the phrase, ‘Death Before Dishonor.’ He never flew an American flag on holidays. Said he didn’t need to - didn’t have to prove his patriotism to anyone. I feel the same.

But sincerely glad you enjoyed it.

Not the media’a job to report on patriotism. It’s personal for many people - my career Marine father included. He has a tattoo he got at 18 in Okinawa that is the EGA and the phrase, ‘Death Before Dishonor.’ He never flew an American flag on holidays. Said he didn’t need to - didn’t have to prove his patriotism to anyone. I feel the same.

That's because flying the American flag isn't patriotism, it's nationalism. The same goes for the national anthem. Those things have nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with nationalism.

I always wonder why people can't just make a nice heart felt compliment about something without taking a negative shot at something or someone they don't like. In my opinion, it ruins the feel good vibe the comment was meant to invoke.

That's because flying the American flag isn't patriotism, it's nationalism. The same goes for the national anthem. Those things have nothing to do with patriotism and everything to do with nationalism.

Eh, you grow up on Marine bases in the 70s and 80s and it’s patriotism.

Perhaps in your very narrow perspective/world. For over 200 years that was not the case. Only in this day and age, through bizarre redefinitions and social media, has that perception been altered for some.

Grandson is in the Blue Band, couldn't be more proud.

Ok, assuming you weren’t being facetious, please define patriotism. Please also define nationalism and explain how it differs from patriotism.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's nice to see people happy.

Mary, it's wonderful that you had the opportunity to attend and enjoy the last two games. It sounds like you really made the most of it.

Reactions: RU31trap and 81b&w

Nobody said anything about a “ report on patriotism “. And It IS personal for many people. That should never preclude airing the anthem without comment , as it is inexorably tied to the game/event itself . Allowing those who appreciate its symbolism/ meaning to tie it to whatever they “personally” wish, while allowing the disinterested or the seething detractors to turn off the sound….. just as I often do to the ESPIN announcers.— Nothing is being forced down anyone’s throat .

War Damn Mary…

LOL...nice content-free word salad!!

As a former Air Force vet. I am extremely proud of you. My eye's always tear up at the National Anthem.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT