ADVERTISEMENT

OT; Blue tooth earpiece recommendations.

The Spin Meister

Gold Member
Nov 27, 2012
An altered state
Looking for BT earpiece for cell phone. Which has best sound? Best range? Any have cordless charging? What features would you recommend?
Thanks

Looking for BT earpiece for cell phone. Which has best sound? Best range? Any have cordless charging? What features would you recommend?
Thanks
Mine is a few years old and was recommended by a colleague who did some serious comparisons and returned a few he was unhappy with. I absolutely love my Plantronics Voyager Pro and highly recommend it

Amazon product ASIN B0027FFZEW

Reactions: T J
I have the Plantronics Voyager Legend UC and am very happy with it. I bought it because it has a USB dongle for my PC, and can pair with 2 devices at once when using that adapter. My cell phone (personal use and when driving) and laptop (business calls) are both connected and the headset seamlessly routes audio from either to my ear. In my city hands-free devices are required when driving, that was the need I tried to solve and getting to use it for work made this a no brainer for me. The headset also transmits normal audio such as music from the phone, audio from Youtube, etc. It also has a handful of voice commands... you can simply say "answer" when someone calls to pick up.

Sound quality is great, I've never had a complaint from someone about it and I suspect most don't even know I'm on a BT headset at all. Battery life is about 6-7 hours of talk time when fully charged, standby time is measured in days. It's comfortable too, I can wear it for hours. It doesn't have wireless charging, and one concern I had is that the charger connection on the headset is unique, which means another cable to carry. But the UC model comes with a cool carrying case that doubles as a charger (has a rechargeable battery in the case which can provide a full headset charge) and the case has a standard mini-USB connection. If you have the carrying case you don't need the unique cable. It also came with a desktop charger.

I've also been thrilled with Plantronics customer service/support. One of my ear tips broke, and I couldn't find where to buy a replacement on their website. One phone call and they shipped some to me free of charge. The battery on my headset stopped holding a charge after about 11 months (it had a 1 year warranty), I called Plantronics and they sent me a complete replacement with overnight shipping, I just had to mail the broken one back.

Edit: I just looked at their website, it looks like they have a new replacement for the Legend UC - the 5200 UC. It looks like the new travel case can double as a desktop charger and they have enhanced some of the features. I also forgot to mention the sensors in this thing. It knows when it's on your ear and when it's not, audio gets routed to my phone normally. If I'm mid-call and put the headset on, audio will seamless switch from the phone to the headset. That's one of my favorite features.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT