ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Big 12 officially invites BYU, Cincy, UH, UCF

Even though OU/UT have said they plan to stay in the Big XII until the end of the current rights deal, will those additions push them into negotiating an earlier exit if it takes effect for 2022?

I would think any of those 4 teams would be on par with Purdue or Minnesota. - not bluest of blue bloods, but certainly worth of P5. The problem is that the whole conference is now made up of Purdues and Minnesotas.

The B1G is P5 because it has 4 of the 8 winningest teams in cfb history, none of which are Purdue or Minny.

Reactions: Ranger Dan
The B1G is P5 because it has 4 of the 8 winningest teams in cfb history, none of which are Purdue or Minny.
Even the SEC has some stinkers. Vandy? South Carolina? Miss St? Arkansas?

You’re right that the top programs are what carries a conference and the new Big 12 doesn’t have any.

Ah - sorry misread it.
If you assume for a second that The Big10 has 4 tiers (for now IMHO): Tier1 Ohio State, Tier2 PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Tier 4 Rutgers and Illinois, all of our Tier 3 teams could play an even game against anyone in the Big 12, with our Tier2 teams being a clear favorite. But for the Big 12, it's the best they can do. I don't see any CFP teams from there in a long time.

If you assume for a second that The Big10 has 4 tiers (for now IMHO): Tier1 Ohio State, Tier2 PSU, Michigan, Iowa, Wisconsin, Tier 4 Rutgers and Illinois, all of our Tier 3 teams could play an even game against anyone in the Big 12, with our Tier2 teams being a clear favorite. But for the Big 12, it's the best they can do. I don't see any CFP teams from there in a long time.
Yeah I agree.

Well then, assuming nothing else changes, the FBS becomes the Power 4 and Group of 6.
I disagree. I think this move is a great one for the Big 12.
It holds the conference together and keeps a play off check coming in.
Combining this with a pay off [if they get it] from Texas and OU and they should be fine for at least 15 years.
Gives then good exposure in Pacific NW, Florida, strengthens Texas. and bolsters their midwest presence.
With the 4 new adds and Okie State, Iowa State, an occasional burst by WVU and the Texas schools. I would think they could easily have 3-4 teams in the top 25 each year.
If you take out Clemson, and Oregon this conference in most years could hold it's own against the Pac 12 and ACC most years.

Well I agree it is the best they can do. I think you give our Tier 3 teams too much credit.
If you pitted Cincy, Iowa State, Okie State, and Boise against , NW, Md, Nebraska, and Purdue I think the Big 12 is favored in at least 3 of those 4 matchups.

One final thought
AP poll Big 12 2 in top 25. our tier 3, 0
Coaches poll 3 0

Big 12 needs the Cyclones to beat the Hawkeyes more than the Big 10 does.

Last edited:

Damn you Warren and the Big 10, damn you all to hell!

damn-you.gif

Reactions: The Spin Meister
Seriously? You’re using the coaches poll in week two to discuss the strength of the Big XII? I’m hoping there is some sarcasm I’m missing.
Seriously? Where did I say anything about the strength of the Big XII? I pointed out a fact. Dispute that fact all you want. But don't put anything extra into my post that wasn't there.

Reactions: Ten Thousan Marbles
I dont see why they needed 4 schools. Wont that just dilute revenue more? If they added four legitimate football powers that would be different.

I dont see why they needed 4 schools. Wont that just dilute revenue more? If they added four legitimate football powers that would be different.
Cincy's been moving up the past few years--partly because tOSU is more national in their recruiting, leaving some decent Ohio players for UC.

Im also again questioning Texas and OU's choice of joining a very crowded phone booth when they ruled the land in the B12. I guess money trumps all other advantages. We'll see what their TV contract looks like.

Reactions: Mufasa94
Which is perfect then. Conference champs of the 4 should be the entrants into the playoff. Simple.
SEC won't see it that way though if the Playoffs remain at four. They'll argue some of their other teams are better than some conference champions.

Cincy's been moving up the past few years--partly because tOSU is more national in their recruiting, leaving some decent Ohio players for UC.
Agree, Cincy and Fickell have been pulling in quite a few Ohio HS players that OSU doesn't offer .

SEC won't see it that way though if the Playoffs remain at four. They'll argue some of their other teams are better than some conference champions.
Well, of course they will. Who gives a shit? Win the conference, get a shot at the championship. Simple.

Agree but even more impressive and a bigger reason are the B1G's TV markets. There's NYC-NJ, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Washington DC, Pittsburgh, Columbus, Cleveland, Cincinnati, Detroit, Milwaukee, Indianapolis, Chicago, Minneapolis.......and I'm probably missing one or two more. That's massive and why the B1G doesn't really have to be overly concerned or panic over what others are doing. Compare those markets to the other conferences and it's not even close

Reactions: The Spin Meister
I would think any of those 4 teams would be on par with Purdue or Minnesota. - not bluest of blue bloods, but certainly worth of P5. The problem is that the whole conference is now made up of Purdues and Minnesotas.

Right, you may be in trouble when your marquis team is Oklahoma State.

That said, it's an interesting combination. I'm glad BYU finally found a home. And those other three teams have had some good years on occasion.

All in all, it would seem this keeps the Big-12 afloat and ends the realignment scramble. Not a bad thing. But mainly I hope the 12-team playoff, which seemed in the bag before the move of Oklahoma and Texas, is still alive now that the dust is settling.

Im also again questioning Texas and OU's choice of joining a very crowded phone booth when they ruled the land in the B12. I guess money trumps all other advantages. We'll see what their TV contract looks like.
Probably looking a bit more long term.
IMHO, and as I've stated before, I think NIL is going to cause a decline in CFB. Amateurism is a core feature of CFB. As college athletes begin acting as professionals making 6/7 figures, interest will gravitate to true professionals and not the CFB minor leagues. What will likely be left, frankly, is the SEC, where a significant # of fans have less of a relationship with the NFL. To use a soccer metaphor, I could see the SEC becoming somewhat of a premier league with a regional fan base and the rest of FBS becoming the new FCS.
Time will tell, but I see OK/UT viewing this as a long term solidification of their prospects.

Right, you may be in trouble when your marquis team is Oklahoma State.

That said, it's an interesting combination. I'm glad BYU finally found a home. And those other three teams have had some good years on occasion.

All in all, it would seem this keeps the Big-12 afloat and ends the realignment scramble. Not a bad thing. But mainly I hope the 12-team playoff, which seemed in the bag before the move of Oklahoma and Texas, is still alive now that the dust is settling.
Not sure what to make of it. They lost the big name recruiting machines (Texas and Oklahoma). You have teams that were very close to playoff bid a couple years ago (TCU/Baylor).

Seem a cut above the Big East years ago when they lost Miami/V-Tech. And a step below the current Pac-12

Reactions: Jerry
Remember when Michigan used to get them. It's what lead to Cooper's downfall.
Yep, you're exactly right. During the Bo days, almost half of Michigan's roster was made up of Ohio HS players. Heck, even their 2 recent Heisman winners - Woodson and Howard - were from Ohio. That came to an abrupt end when Tressel was hired by Ohio State. OSU still doesn't get all of the Ohio kids they go after but still get most of them. I read an article awhile back that OSU and LSU control their states better than any other CF powers. Notre Dame is probably OSU's biggest thorn with their Catholic connection

Reactions: 91Joe95
Even the SEC has some stinkers. Vandy? South Carolina? Miss St? Arkansas?

You’re right that the top programs are what carries a conference and the new Big 12 doesn’t have any.
Neither does the PAC 12, but they are considered a P5 conference.
My personal top 25 power ratings:
8 Iowa St
10 Utah
11 Cinci
18 AZ State
19 Ok St
20 TCU
21 UCLA
22 Oregon
23 UCF

Which is perfect then. Conference champs of the 4 should be the entrants into the playoff. Simple.
While the CFP stays at 4 teams, I have to respectfully say this is a horrible idea.

That would be a complete quota system that would render OOC results like UGA over Clemson meaningless.

While the CFP stays at 4 teams, I have to respectfully say this is a horrible idea.

That would be a complete quota system that would render OOC results like UGA over Clemson meaningless.
Exactly, so there would no reason not to play them. We don’t get enough quality out of conference games because programs are afraid of a loss in those games.
Simple solution to that would be to either:
A. Not have any out of conference games (which I don’t really like)
B. Have all out of conference games be required to be played against teams from the other 3 conferences.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT