ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Best TV shows of the decade.....

• Thread starter anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
  • Start date
Looked at his list and I don't agree with it except ten or so should be on it. The other I just didn't care about or knew about.

His list is junk. I enjoyed Parks and Recreation but that at number 2? Ahead of Breaking Bad?

Fair. Hard to put every great show of different genres against each other. GoT would be #1 for me with Justified, Community, Halt and Catch Fire, and Breaking Bad in my top five.

Reactions: MoyerJones
Despite how much I didn't care for the second half of the next to last season, or the final couple episodes of the final season, GOT has to be #1 for me. And it was the most culturally relevant series of the decade as well. Breaking Bad is right there at #2 though.

Also, despite what he's done, I can't just pretend Louie wasn't great and a top 20 show. His real-life actions don't change the quality of the show.

Reactions: anon_xdc8rmuek44eq
Despite how much I didn't care for the second half of the next to last season, or the final couple episodes of the final season, GOT has to be #1 for me. And it was the most culturally relevant series of the decade as well. Breaking Bad is right there at #2 though.

Also, despite what he's done, I can't just pretend Louie wasn't great and a top 20 show. His real-life actions don't change the quality of the show.

Yeah ! GoT, even if only for the first five seasons, was the best thing I ever saw on television. The final years, despite delivering what everyone wanted for.the most part, doesn't detract from the massively entertaining spectacle it was.

Reactions: ewb75
I'd certainly order them differently, except for #1 being very high on the list.
I'd put Mr. Robot up way, way, way higher depending on the conclusion of that show this coming weekend.
Love that he included Terriers, but seriously, it's only one season.
Watchmen is way overrated on this list at this point.
Hilarious that GOT isn't in the top 5.

Show's I'd add off the top of my head....
Fringe - travesty!
The OA - one of the best pilots ever
Patriot - top 10 IMO
Nathan 4 You - (this is an obvious choice)

Sometimes these list-makers are a little too cute...
As much as I dislike the trajectory of the show, The Walking Dead is a blockbuster of a show and had a huge part in cable networks ordering shows.
Also hard to keep off True Detective after the third season.

Anyone ever watch Terrier(s)? Might be the only show on the list never heard of.

I saw Terriers--it was a solid show. Kind of a bummer that it lasted only one season, as it could have gone on longer and still been entertaining. I would put it at around 20 on that list of the top 50 shows.

Reactions: ftlpsu
I'd certainly order them differently, except for #1 being very high on the list.
I'd put Mr. Robot up way, way, way higher depending on the conclusion of that show this coming weekend.

Fringe - travesty!
Patriot - top 10 IMO

As much as I dislike the trajectory of the show, The Walking Dead is a blockbuster of a show and had a huge part in cable networks ordering shows.

Good call on Nathan 4 You and The Walking Dead (loved the first 4 seasons, then it fell off a cliff for me).

I also just realized Silicon Valley isn’t on there. It definitely makes the list for me.

Good call on Nathan 4 You and The Walking Dead (loved the first 4 seasons, then it fell off a cliff for me).

I also just realized Silicon Valley isn’t on there. It definitely makes the list for me.

Same for SV.

Yeah ! GoT, even if only for the first five seasons, was the best thing I ever saw on television. The final years, despite delivering what everyone wanted for.the most part, doesn't detract from the massively entertaining spectacle it was.
Best thing I ever saw on TV was Band of Brothers. Epically awesome

Thanks. If one of the highest rated sci-fi shows in the last decade isn’t on the list then the list itself is biased against sci-fi shows.

I think the #1 show on the list could qualify as sci fi but agree - overall lack of sci-fi on the list. I hear The Expanse is good - gonna check it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks. If one of the highest rated sci-fi shows in the last decade isn’t on the list then the list itself is biased against sci-fi shows.
Can't wait for season 4 to drop also.

Reactions: PS4814
You should give TWD another shot. The showrunner that ruined it, Gimple, moved on and has now ruined the Fear The Walking Dead spinoff. The last 2 seasons of TWD have been pretty good, the best it's been in a few seasons.

You should give TWD another shot. The showrunner that ruined it, Gimple, moved on and has now ruined the Fear The Walking Dead spinoff. The last 2 seasons of TWD have been pretty good, the best it's been in a few seasons.

I LOVED S1; but when (then showrunner) Frank Darabont was booted (he says it's because they wouldn't spend money, they say it's because he's terrible to work with) before S2, I lost some hope. Then I watched S2 and I can see what Darabont was saying - they spent the entire season on a f'n farm. Very low budget and you could tell. I hear it picked up after that, but by then I was tuned out.

Fringe - travesty!
Patriot - top 10 IMO

Agree with lack of Fringe, but seems any sci-fi isn’t part of the list. As a heads up Mr. Robot has 4 episodes left and will wrap up on December 22nd.

Reactions: MoyerJones
Agree with lack of Fringe, but seems any sci-fi isn’t part of the list. As a heads up Mr. Robot has 4 episodes left and will wrap up on December 22nd.

What other great Sci-Fi shows are out there that you think are ignored? I've heard The Expanse is really good. I'd count 'The Leftovers' and maybe 'Watchmen' as Sci-Fi, though not in the traditional sense. 'Black Mirror' has been really good but as an anthology, maybe difficult to nail down for a list like this.

To that end, anyone watching 'His Dark Materials'? I catch bits and pieces and it looks pretty cool, but not sure if this is a YA type thing or something on a bigger, more sophisticated scale...

Last edited by a moderator:
What other great Sci-Fi shows are out there that you think are ignored? I've heard The Expanse is really good. I'd count 'The Leftovers' and maybe 'Watchmen' as Sci-Fi, though not in the traditional sense. 'Black Mirror' has been really good but as an anthology, maybe difficult to nail down for a list like this.

See I wouldn’t count Leftovers as sci-fi and on imdb.com it’s not classified as such either. Fringe bridged last decade and this so I can understand if it wasn’t included. Watchmen is too new imo, though the list seems to have an over abundance of HBO shows so I guess that’s why it’s on there.

Some I’d have included - Man In The High Castle, Stranger Things, Agents of Shield (the early seasons), and since cartoons are on the list already to not include Rick and Morty is a travesty.

See I wouldn’t count Leftovers as sci-fi and on imdb.com it’s not classified as such either. Fringe bridged last decade and this so I can understand if it wasn’t included. Watchmen is too new imo, though the list seems to have an over abundance of HBO shows so I guess that’s why it’s on there.

Some I’d have included - Man In The High Castle, Stranger Things, Agents of Shield (the early seasons), and since cartoons are on the list already to not include Rick and Morty is a travesty.

Rick and Morty for sure - massive oversight. Watchmen is Sci-Fi if you believe omnipotent beings exist and can exile a man to the moons of Jupiter (and it's excellent by the way).

Good call on Stranger Things; a bit in the horror genre too.

Reactions: BBrown and PS4814
Wow. On that list of 50 shows I have only ever watched one of them. I actually think that's a good thing.

You’ve got me beat. I’ve seen 2-3 skits from Key & Peele, but that’s it for me from that list.

I suppose we should all spend less time in front of a screen, but boy you guys sure are missing some incredible writing, dialogue, character development, storylines and cinematography. I wish I’d only seen 1 or 2 of these, that way id have so much great art waiting in front of me.

No "Stranger Things" or "Shameless"? I just recently started watching Shameless and can't believe it's not one of the shows folks like around here.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT