ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Beginning a long goodbye to my old friend (UPDATE - Still going strong 2.5 years later)

Duke is so lucky to have gotten to share his life with you and your family - it sounds like you've been the perfect home for him. He's literally a "lucky dog". I'm sure you'll continue to enjoy and cherish each other's company for every single moment you have going forward.

I have a 5 year old beagle/retriever mix named Marley that is the first dog I've ever owned. He's (knock on wood) healthy as can be but reading everyone's heart-wrenching stories here has me on the verge of tears thinking about when his time ultimately comes. I can't imagine what it must feel like when it really is happening to you. Make sure you're there with him in his final moments - I'm sure he's going to be scared and want you there. All the best to you and Duke, cincy.

Cincy , so sorry to hear about your Duke and know the pain you're feeling ....pets are family and it's so hard saying good-bye to them as they leave indelible memories across our hearts .....God Bless Duke and God Bless your family

Reactions: TheGLOV and wbcincy
wbcincy
Sorry to hear about Duke. I to have felt the pain of the loss of a best friend / family member twice in a two year span. As it has been said many times * Time Heals all Wounds * Which is true but the time spent together will never be forgotten.

file.jpeg

Maggie 2004 to 2015 Nittany 2002 to 2016

Last edited:
Is it a genetic predisposition?
I honestly don't know. Sophie was an akita/chow/something else mix so maybe somewhere in there was a genetic link. Our vet couldn't say what caused it. She was a helluva watchdog and our family still misses her going on 18 months later. Is it getting dusty in here?

Sorry to hear about this. I had a similar situation with my yellow lab, Duke. Putting him down was hands down the worst thing I’ve ever had to do. He had just turned 8.

Dogs are the best.

Getting a new puppy really really really helps if you have the time to raise it. But if you don’t have the time, make the time.

Is it a genetic predisposition?

From the research I've done, there is a genetic predisposition, and it is very common in German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers. I love shepherds, but they're a tough breed. You do everything you can to check that the parents hips and elbows are OHA tested, you avoid exercise before or after eating or drinking (or tack the stomach) to avoid bloat, feed them an all raw diet to avoid the harmful products in most pet foods and yet....there always seems to be another malady common to shepherds lurking around the next corner.

Reactions: TheGLOV
Sorry to hear this. No doubt losing a beloved dog can feel like losing a family member. Back in May had to put my 3-yr old American Bulldog to sleep. Had some kind of liver disorder that eventually led to seizures, heavy breathing, etc. 3 yrs prior had a red Doberman (best dog I ever had) suffer a massive heart attack right in front of my wife and I. Both were traumatic and scarring.

Reactions: wbcincy
Cincy, I feel the pain in your writing and I am so sorry for you and that young man in many of the photo's. Duke get well in the name of Jesus Christ
If you've read my posts over the years, you probably recognize them from the avatar of my dog, Duke. I bought Duke the summer after law school, deciding I'd rather raise a puppy than study for the bar. Unemployed and waiting for bar results, I was able to spend every day of those 4 months training him and watching him grow. He was always so eager to please, listened without hesitation, and lived to "work."

7.5 years later, a routine vet appointment revealed he had rapidly gained 15 lbs and an xray of his abdomen showed a significant growth. We prepared ourselves for the worst, but the tumor appeared to only be attached to the spleen and hadn't spread. We had it removed last week and sent for a biopsy, with the vet feeling optimistic it wasn't cancer. I've been out of town all week at a convention, so my wife waited until I was done with that tonight to let me know she'd learned tuesday morning it was the worst case. Duke has hemangiosarcoma, and has been given 3-6 months to live. While I appreciate that we'll have time to say goodbye, every minute will be equally cherished and painful. So, I'm now sitting in some stupid hotel in St. Louis crying like a child and wondering if I'll sleep before my flight in 6 hours, typing this as some hopeful form of catharsis.

If anyone would like to see more of Duke and the life he's had, you can check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/duke.and.liberty.the.sheps/ . My wife loves our dogs, photography and the outdoors, so she created that account to combine those interests a couple years back. With almost 27,000 followers, Duke is a bit of an internet celeb as pets go. But mostly he was just my friend, and I'm heartbroken.
Cincy I feel your pain in the words you have wrote and I am so sorry. I pray for you and the little fellow in many of the photo's. I also will pray for the Duke in the name of Jesus Christ. God Bless

If you've read my posts over the years, you probably recognize them from the avatar of my dog, Duke. I bought Duke the summer after law school, deciding I'd rather raise a puppy than study for the bar. Unemployed and waiting for bar results, I was able to spend every day of those 4 months training him and watching him grow. He was always so eager to please, listened without hesitation, and lived to "work."

7.5 years later, a routine vet appointment revealed he had rapidly gained 15 lbs and an xray of his abdomen showed a significant growth. We prepared ourselves for the worst, but the tumor appeared to only be attached to the spleen and hadn't spread. We had it removed last week and sent for a biopsy, with the vet feeling optimistic it wasn't cancer. I've been out of town all week at a convention, so my wife waited until I was done with that tonight to let me know she'd learned tuesday morning it was the worst case. Duke has hemangiosarcoma, and has been given 3-6 months to live. While I appreciate that we'll have time to say goodbye, every minute will be equally cherished and painful. So, I'm now sitting in some stupid hotel in St. Louis crying like a child and wondering if I'll sleep before my flight in 6 hours, typing this as some hopeful form of catharsis.

If anyone would like to see more of Duke and the life he's had, you can check it out here: https://www.instagram.com/duke.and.liberty.the.sheps/ . My wife loves our dogs, photography and the outdoors, so she created that account to combine those interests a couple years back. With almost 27,000 followers, Duke is a bit of an internet celeb as pets go. But mostly he was just my friend, and I'm heartbroken.

content.php

It is a terrible thing when a family pet gets sick or passes on. One of the worst things to deal with so my prayers are with you. I went through this with my English Pointer and later with my English Setter. I still have their outside kennel and dog house even though they don't live here anymore.

So sorry to read about Duke. I had a dog when I was a kid and still remember how painful it was the night we put him to sleep. More than 30 years later, we got a puppy for our family...he’s almost 3 now, and I can’t imagine our home without him. He’s the epitome of unconditional love!

My heart breaks for you sir. Enjoy your remaining time with him...I’m certain he knows how much he’s loved.

From the research I've done, there is a genetic predisposition, and it is very common in German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers. I love shepherds, but they're a tough breed. You do everything you can to check that the parents hips and elbows are OHA tested, you avoid exercise before or after eating or drinking (or tack the stomach) to avoid bloat, feed them an all raw diet to avoid the harmful products in most pet foods and yet....there always seems to be another malady common to shepherds lurking around the next corner.
So sorry for your bad news. The Goldens and the Shepherds are genetically pre-disposed to getting growths, generally after age 8, on their spleens (but they can also appear elsewhere in the torso organs). A lot of it is the “luck of the litter”. There doesn’t seem to be a correlation between parental genetics and the growths, but I’m admittedly not a DVM.

Starting at age 7, we get our Goldens sonagrammed and blood-tested twice per year. It’s not inexpensive ($400 per dog per s-gram), but we feel it’s worth the money.

P.S. I enjoyed the photos, especially the Halloween ones. They were really funny.

Last edited:

15 months ago, I lost my best friend Stew who just happened to be a dog. I still cry thinking about him at times. I take no shame in it. He was a good friend, and we depended on each other and he also was there for my wife when I was deployed for six months. He was with us at both of our weddings (long story). Was a very sweet boy.

Had to watch him pass over three CHF-ridden months. Told him I loved him thousands of times and took him on long walks in the woods, although at the end I had to carry him for parts of it. He was brave until the very end.

Enjoy your days with Duke, and i hope they are many. All In this world is fleeting, but I am convinced there are some moments which are immortal. I hope you can share some of those in the time you have left!

Give him some scratches for me!!! Very sorry for your news.

I absolutely hate this thread. Not because I hate dogs, actually the opposite. I hate that you and your wife have to suffer this pain of losing your family member and I hate that your other dog will also suffer the lose of their pack member. My heart breaks for you.

I had to put my boxer down over three years ago and it was a pain I will never forget. When I was in the military and in college I tended to collect dogs, but I always rehomed them with family members and friends so I never had to make “that decision”. After having to do that in April of 2014, I said, “never again” and as I write this I have three dogs sleeping and farting at my feet. I am sorry for the inevitable outcome and hope you enjoy the memories you made with your pup. Your pictures on IG are great too! Thanks for giving me a distraction from work for a few minutes. It allowed me to think back on my late dog Bradshaw and think of how great a dog and family member he was I hope Bradshaw is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for your Duke to show him around.

Last edited:
Reactions: LionJim
I absolutely hate this thread. Not because I hate dogs, actually the opposite. I hate that you and your wife have to suffer this pain of losing your family member and I hate that your other dog will also suffer the lose of their pack member. My heart breaks for you.

I had to put my boxer down over three years ago and it was a pain I will never forget. WHen I was in the military and in college I tended to collect dogs, but I always revoked them with family members and friends so I never had to make “that decision”. After having to do that in April of 2014, I said, “never again” and as I write this I have three dogs sleeping and farting at my feet. I am sorry for the inevitable outcome and hope you enjoy the memories you made with your pup. Your pictures on IG are great too! Thanks for giving me a distraction from work for a few minutes. It allowed me to think back on my late dog Bradshaw and think of how great a dog and family member he was I hope Bradshaw is waiting at the Rainbow Bridge for your Duke to show him around.

Lol at the sleeping and farting dogs. I have two Klee Kai (mini huskies) who are yelling at each other as I’m reading this thread... intermittently farting as well... less loudly of course.

Stew was a Chihuahua. My adopted pupper.

Dogs are wonderful companions, true allies. Even though it’s painful to say goodbye, I’ll always have dogs for the rest of my life.

Reactions: uscgPSU
Cincy, not a dog guy but I know what they mean to people. Sorry. We only have a few birds and they can live a long time or a short time but they're our friends and I know it's hard to say goodbye. Best to ya, mate.

Lol at the sleeping and farting dogs. I have two Klee Kai (mini huskies) who are yelling at each other as I’m reading this thread... intermittently farting as well... less loudly of course.

Stew was a Chihuahua. My adopted pupper.

Dogs are wonderful companions, true allies. Even though it’s painful to say goodbye, I’ll always have dogs for the rest of my life.
Yeah that made me lol, mine use to fart in his sleep. It was hilarious if he was half awake, he'd fart then pop his head up and look back at his butt to see what it was. Best part though was the occasional time when he'd jump up, spin around trying to look the he'd turn around and look at me like WHAT THE F WAS THAT!

Yeah that made me lol, mine use to fart in his sleep. It was hilarious if he was half awake, he'd fart then pop his head up and look back at his butt to see what it was. Best part though was the occasional time when he'd jump up, spin around trying to look the he'd turn around and look at me like WHAT THE F WAS THAT!

I blame Fonzie.....

Reactions: Phil's Rug

So sorry to hear that, it's not an easy thing to go through. Had mine for almost 15 years, found him in a box under a porch when he was a pup and for the most part he never left my side. Had to put him down 3 years ago in February, it hurt like hell because for the most part he was healthy up until the last 5 months or so. Still hurts, but it gets a little better with time.

This is always good for a laugh, brings a tear to my eye too but everybody should be able to find at least one thing on here or more they can relate to when it comes to our dogs.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox

So sorry to hear that, it's not an easy thing to go through. Had mine for almost 15 years, found him in a box under a porch when he was a pup and for the most part he never left my side. Had to put him down 3 years ago in February, it hurt like hell because for the most part he was healthy up until the last 5 months or so. Still hurts, but it gets a little better with time.

This is always good for a laugh, brings a tear to my eye too but everybody should be able to find at least one thing on here or more they can relate to when it comes to our dogs.

That link was really good

What ever time he has left will be great for him as was his whole life because that's what you gave him. Hang in there.

LOVE THIS

Just thought I’d provide an update on this. It’s been 2 years and 3 months since this 3-6 month prognosis. Duke has shown no indications of lingering illness and still plays fetch every day with the excitement and energy of a puppy, not a dog about to turn 10. So I feel a bit silly for mourning his loss years ago, but I’m certainly not complaining.

Just thought I’d provide an update on this. It’s been 2 years and 3 months since this 3-6 month prognosis. Duke has shown no indications of lingering illness and still plays fetch every day with the excitement and energy of a puppy, not a dog about to turn 10. So I feel a bit silly for mourning his loss years ago, but I’m certainly not complaining.
My dog was given three months to live and I had to put her down 23 months later....it’s always nice to get that extra time. Good for you and Duke.

This made me smile and you deserve any good news that one can get.

I’m sorry to hear about the prognosis, but always enjoy hearing about the love of a dog. My first dog as an adult was also named Duke, which is the greatest dog name ever. I tell people, in the presence of my wife, that he was the love of my life. I hope you have many more great memories with your Duke before he goes away, and please spoil him however possible.

I’m sorry to hear about the prognosis, but always enjoy hearing about the love of a dog. My first dog as an adult was also named Duke, which is the greatest dog name ever. I tell people, in the presence of my wife, that he was the love of my life. I hope you have many more great memories with your Duke before he goes away, and please spoil him however possible.
Read Cincy's post five or six posts above this. Duke is thriving.

Reactions: Ranger Dan

I feel for you wb!

I had a Golden for almost 15 years and when I lost him, it was really tough! Loyal and loving is an understatement!!

I feel for you. My dog of 12 years just passed from splenic cancer. It is really tough to say goodbye to a great friend and family member.

Aww I am so sorry to hear. Sounds like you already know what you have to do. As someone who just went through the same thing, I only have one other piece of advice: collect as many pictures and videos of your faithful companion as possible. The 100+ that I have of my Gagey boy just don't seem like enough now that he's gone.

So sorry. As a "dog lover" & a DVM ...... I have been in that situation many times (on both sides of the fence). Neither is an easy situation. Just yesterday I was called to a home. The dog was a good friend and yep... I cried.

They say "grown men don't cry"....... well, the person who made that statement never had a great dog.

When "DUKE" gets to the other side.... tell him to look up "BROWNDOG"..... they'll be great friends.
(Browndog is in my avatar)
Pro question/free advice?

took dog one to get teeth pulled etc today, at which oral tumor id’d.

when came home dog 2 is crazy wild. Won’t leave dog one, rapid panting, whimpering etc. does he know something? Does dog one smell different?

Pro question/free advice?

took dog one to get teeth pulled etc today, at which oral tumor id’d.

when came home dog 2 is crazy wild. Won’t leave dog one, rapid panting, whimpering etc. does he know something? Does dog one smell different?
How long have they been buddies? Yes They know something if different. Smell of other dogs or cats. Possibly smell of the anesthetic on dog #1 breath. Most likely dog #1 is quite acting normal and dog #2 is worried about his buddy. They look after each other.

Feeling your sorrow Cincy. Our pets are the best! I remember reading that our pets are a BIG part of our lives... but we are THEIR WHOLE life! Enjoy the time with your best bud.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT