ADVERTISEMENT

OT. Before shabbat help me: Name a better Zepplin song. See link

Don't have a single favorite but its Jimmy Page's favorite and I've

been listening to it and "Tea for One" from Presence a lot lately, so for now I'll say Achilles Last Stand.

This post was edited on 3/28 3:41 PM by mn78psu83

Is there a 'no Stairway' policy in this thread? *

I always like Traveling Riverside Blues...

although they ripped it off. Also, How Many More Times.

that's my fav too...but close are Kashmir

Going to California which got me through several breakups)

To me, Led Zep is the quintessential rock and roll band of all time. I also knew a kid named "Zeppelin" which I thought was, like, the coolest name ever.

My favorite is the most obscure Zeppelin song ever.

Not that crap like "Stairway" or "Nobobdy's Fault But Mine", nor "Over the Hills and Far Away". That shite is for losers. Give me the "b"-side, baby!

they have songs all over the place, just depends what sort of buzz you are looking for to complement their efforts.

Immigrant song to Black dog, what mood are you in? How high you gonna get? when does the party start?

whatever you choose, get crazy this weekend. Play it loud.

Re: Too many favorites to single out just one - they're like my kids

Holy Crap! That kid is ridiculous! I looked at a few more videos, he has done some Rush, played Hot for Teacher with Brad Paisley Live and with Kiss Live. Sorry if this is old, my first time seeing this kid. As for favorite Zep tune, depends on mood and what Album I am listening to, but "Hey Hey What Can I Do" is good no matter what mood.

I always hated the Crunge

what supposed to be a James Brown type song. Just didn't work for a hard rock band.
It still hasn't found that confounded bridge for me.

crunge

It's kind of a shame

You are not the only one with this sentiment....and I get it - it's been WAY over-played... a zillion times.... and everyone is sick and tired of it. But I DARE you to sip a few good IPA's, put on a killer set of headphones, click play on that bad boy and come back here and tell me that song is not the shit. I think we need to forget the thousand times we heard it.... it's not the song's fault. It is an amazing song, regardless of how many times radio stations have played it. It gets a bum rap......

Too many good tunes to pick from, but I always favored Nobody's Fault But Mine, No Quarter, The Rain Song, Custard Pie. See! I can't stop! If you are a Zep fan, then I highly recommend Neal Preston's multimedia book Sound and Fury. He was a photographer for Zep and the iBook is filled with great pics and videos of people who worked with Zep as managers and roadies. One story, in particular, is hilarious about a workers first meeting with John Bonham and it involved a major nipple twisting! Bonham always "tested" people to see if they could hack the mayhem.

Where to begin. Tangerine, Gallows Poll, The Wanton Song,

Nobodys Fault But Mine, When the Levy Breaks, Going to California, Ramble On. The list goes on.

Re: Excellent! Thnx for sharing. *

Going to see Plant and the Sensational Space Shifters at Mt. Jam Hunter Mt. NY in June. Friday night headliner. Also scored 4th row tix @ the Mann in Philly for a few weeks later. Pixies opening act. Saw Plant 2x: with Alison Kraus & T-Bone Burnett & with Band of Joy. Killer shows and he always does Zep tunes, but in altered ways. The crowds go batshit when he does the Zep tunes. I only wish I got to see the real deal in their day.

Since I've Been Loving You and its killer opening riff (link)

Love it. Babe I'm Gonna to Leave you is another one of my favs.

Youtube

Re: Sounds a lot like "Taurus" by Spirit, no?*

The last minute does....yes. But - in all fairness to Led Zep.... STH absolutely smokes Taurus. Let's be honest. And secondly, most of the music written since the 1960's is pretty deriviative, right? Rock N Roll is really Blues.... and that guitar sequence is nothing Jimmy Page - or the guy from Spirit came up with. It's a chord sequence from way back to the renaissance era...and copied in a lot of folk stuff too.....

I'm usually in the "I prefer their older stuff" camp - but for me LZ is the

Exception...

fall of 1979 found me a HS Frosh and enjoying "In Through the Out Door" ... Widely dismissed by the typical meat-headed Zep fan, I love this album and particularly "All (of) My Love". I have grown callused of the FM rock station over-worn over-played earlier stuff... But never tire of this track (and album) which is much different than their other efforts... Probably because how it fits in a really special, formative time in my life.... Also loved RP's first three solo albums as they reflects the experimental directions LZ would likely have travelled (everything after that has sucked IMHO)

This post was edited on 3/27 7:33 PM by massimoManca II

All My Love *rare alt take*

Re: Sounds a lot like "Taurus" by Spirit, no?*

I don't see more here than similar note progressions. Lots of songs have that and many song writers admit to being influenced. Certainly not copied IMO. Still a great and legendary R&R song.

All the usual suspects, but can't believe no-one mentioned

Black Dog from Led Zepplin IV ? If it was mentioned below, then I missed it. And as others have stated, so many to choose from that it's hard to name one, or even a top 2-3 in my opinion. That said, I would have expected someone to mention Black Dog. Zepplin at their best IMO...

Re: All the usual suspects, but can't believe no-one mentioned

Black Dog and Rock & Roll. In high school I played that side until I couldn't play it no more.

The old stand-bys have been covered....

and I'm not trying to be with the cool kids posting relatively obscure stuff but I always liked Jonesy's work on the pedal steel here. Also think LZIII is fairly underrated but my all time guilty pleasure that can get me playing air-drums is "Fool in the Rain." Love the Bernard Purdie style, also a fan of Purdie himself and Steely Dan but I digress....as I'm standing here feeling blue. Mama said that's the way it's gonna stay.

THat's tHe Way

You just took this child of the 80s to a place I haven't been in a long time! Thanks! Led Zeppelin was the best there ever was, no doubt!

I think Led Zeppelin is the greatest Rock & Roll band ever. Definitely! They were the quintessential rock band. But they weren't the most musically talented ever. That one goes to Rush. Best drummer, arguably the best bass player, and an incredibly under rated guitarist. One need not look too far beyond La Villa Strangiato to understand.....

By rock band standards, Rush is up there in terms of instrumental chops. But don't forget Yes and King Crimson. Dream Theatre, too.

The first time I saw them was at the Spectrum in 73ish/ 74. Tickets were 9 dollars. Freedom for us was getting my dads Van, filling it with kids and driving to Philly from Reading. A total bake and chug cruise every show. Remember when your buddy with facial hair could drive into the distributorship and buy cases back in the day? Ounces were 35.00 dollars? All you had to have was a minimum wage high school job and life was gold.

Highlight of the show was all the floor lights exploded during Black Dog which was the first song of the encore. ( I always figured it was deliberate, but a great effect ) the place went crazy and the band killed it.

We always stopped at the Howard Johnsons on the turnpike on the way home to plow through milkshakes, blueberry pancakes, pie, you name it.

So the Zeppelin show is over, I'm behind the wheel and damn if we don't find ourselves headed to Jersey instead of west to Reading. I got that baby turned around on one of those median state police cross overs and Howard Johnsons never looked so good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT