ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Battery Operated Lawn Mower?

I haven’t bought one yet but both neighbors own ego and love them. We have small lots though. But you are on the right path, the two highest rated are the ego and snapper. The newer ego has a two blade system for mulching that is getting great reviews. I like push because self propelled is so much easier to break and it’s lighter. The plastic base scares me and people say wet heavy spring grass sticks to it. Another advantage is you can store it on its end conserving valuable garage floor space. I love my Honda though and it’s gotten me through 20+ years. The level cut is incredible and my lawn looks like a fairway. It is also great for mulching leaves. My fear is it’sCut and mulching ability. I do cut my grass twice a week though because I enjoy it. It’s my workout

Come talk to me when you buy an electric grill for your patio/deck ;) Your grill spews as much ppm CO as a lawnmower

my direct experience has been cordless mowers are certainly heavy but not heavy-duty, don’t get the job done, and incur battery replacement outlays that tend to make them subject to costly disposal/replacement every couple of seasons...

Again, if you have a low-demand property scenario - I can imagine a rechargeable as a possible mowing alternative .... otherwise fuggheddabowditt

I bought the mower for these reasons
1 - my current mower was getting old
2 - I don’t like breathing the exhaust. CO2 or CO wasn’t as much of a concern as all of the other stuff that results from combustion.
3 - I don’t like storing gas in the house, even if it’s the garage,
4 - no more engine maintenance
5 - instead of having a bunch of tools, each with their own engine, I can operate a number of tools with the same battery.

Reactions: lions1995
I am using the larger stihl electric mower and have two of the large capacity batteries. I can mow about a 8000 square feet with the two batteries. One will charge while I mow with the other. I will probably move to all electric as I installed about an acre and a half of solar panels last august and have not payed for a kilowatt since.

I am using the larger stihl electric mower and have two of the large capacity batteries. I can mow about a 8000 square feet with the two batteries. One will charge while I mow with the other. I will probably move to all electric as I installed about an acre and a half of solar panels last august and have not payed for a kilowatt since.
Acre and a half of solar panels! Damn dude that's impressive!

I’m equally surprised at the number of people with electric mowers as well as those complaining about smell/exhaust from gas-powered mowers.

I have a Honda-powered push mower and my neighbor has a brand new electric that looks 99% plastic. We have 1/3 acre lots and I’m interested to see if the plastic electric lasts the whole season. If I was going to get an electric I’d rather get a Landroid and not mow grass at all.

Do you have any storage capacity for the power the panels produce ?
I store it on the grid, the credit it me retail and buy it wholesale. Then I sell carbon tax credits in the market place. Polluters bid for them.

I've had the Kobalt 40v series for the last 5 years. Mower, blower, weedeater, pole saw and small chain saw. I'm on just over .25 acres in suburbia. I've replaced the mower blade twice, the cap on the weedeater once. The weight has never been a problem. I've lost one battery in 5 years. They tend to last a bit longer if you're not a moron that stores batteries outside when not in use.
Half acre.....Kobalt 80V with 2 batteries..................Sweet!

I have the 56v Ego mower, blower, trimmer and hedge clippers. Love them all. I have two batteries a 2.0 Amp and a 5.0 The only problem is the 2.0 battery runs out quickly and sometimes I have to use the 5.0 in the hand held tools. The extra weight makes it more difficult for sure but not horrible.

We have a small front and back lawn so it’s pretty convenient and easy to manage with the batteries.
I have the EGO trimmer and generally performance is good although my grass area in arid Colorado is mandated to be less than 30% of my property. The battery died right before the two year warranty was up, and they did replace it (although it took a few weeks to get), so I will hold off on this battery's life before I would commit to the same version in a mower.

I have the EGO trimmer and generally performance is good although my grass area in arid Colorado is mandated to be less than 30% of my property. The battery died right before the two year warranty was up, and they did replace it (although it took a few weeks to get), so I will hold off on this battery's life before I would commit to the same version in a mower.
Going back and forth between the time vs. your money. With the battery, if it dies you have to replace it...~$200. If the battery lasts just 3 years(most are warrantied at least that long), will it be worth your time and money to not have to maintain a gas mower and purchase, fuel, oil? I'm thinking they end up pretty even, but with an electric you don't have the time wasted on maintenance. Still going through the pros/cons, obviously.

Going back and forth between the time vs. your money. With the battery, if it dies you have to replace it...~$200. If the battery lasts just 3 years(most are warrantied at least that long), will it be worth your time and money to not have to maintain a gas mower and purchase, fuel, oil? I'm thinking they end up pretty even, but with an electric you don't have the time wasted on maintenance. Still going through the pros/cons, obviously.

If you need to take a 6hp lawn-mower to someone & have them change the oil/spark plug/properly maintain it - you probably should just ask your mom to do your mowing ...

If you need to take a 6hp lawn-mower to someone & have them change the oil/spark plug/properly maintain it - you probably should just ask your mom to do your mowing ...

She died at 55 of epilepsy. But, thanks for the contribution to my thread. Especially the part that had nothing to do with being able to do the maintenance, rather the value or if it's even worth it.

She died at 55 of epilepsy. But, thanks for the contribution to my thread. Especially the part that had nothing to do with being able to do the maintenance, rather the value or if it's even worth it.

Sorry. hyperbole - not malice, was intended.

a quality pushmower would require nothing more than fuel, oil, a can of SeaFoam that will last you three years, and a $4.00 spark plug each season. Much less risk than battery replacement and heat related motor-failure.... while the electric units cheap molded plastic decks and cowling will not rust - the hardware they support and are designed to protect will be subject to a beating that will render these units landfill fodder in little time ...

i’m saying this as someone who has torn down / resurrected some lawn equipment in his time....

I've used a Black and Decker 24 volt battery powered for the last 23 years. It uses 2 12 volt batteries. I'm on my third set. I keep it on constant charge all winter in my outdoor shed. It cuts like a laser and mulches good too when I do that only in the Spring. I sharpen the blade once per year and grease the blade spindle before replacing. That's it.

I have had the chance to use the Snapper 82V a few more times and I am now a believer.
I got a better cut after lowering the deck and sharpening the blade.
Going up a long, steep hill with this machine in drive is a pleasure. I find the battery duration more than enough and something of a surprise because they are only the 2.0 amp hour version ( 4.0 and 5.0 are options ).
I know it is still early, but I would buy it again.

I am 2.5 years into using my Greenworks. In Florida it is used year round, so more like 4 years of PA use (just a rough guess). Battery shows absolutely no signs of failing. In fact, I could probably cut my yard and my neighbor's if I needed to (quarter acre lots minus the house footprints). I certainly wouldn't recommend it for going through 10" high brush, but for my purposes it has been great so far.

Reactions: JoeLion
Anyone have one and could recommend? Torn between a Greenworks, Ego or Toro. Never had anything but gas, but making a change.

My neighbor has an EGo mower and blower(56V). He loves them.
I invested in the Worx platform. I have a trimmer, blower(20V), and hedge trimmer. I like them a lot as well.
I have a 1/2 acre wooded lot. A little over 1/3 of it is grass. Lots of mulched beds, landscaping, and bushes. Batteries last plenty long enough to trim everything I need. The 20V blower is great for regular clearing of the deck and driveway, but not sufficient for the heavy leaves we get in the fall. I think the 56V options would do a pretty good job, but would need a number of batteries.

As other have noted the interchangeable batteries most brands have make it convenient so whatever you choose, look at the full line of tools to see if they have what you want. Just be aware some tools (ie mower, 56V blower) need bigger batteries than other tools like a string trimmer, hedge clipper, etc, so not all are interchangeable.

FWIW, as someone who doesn't want to deal with the maintenance of a bunch of small gasoline engines, but has a yard full of bushes and is just big enough that makes corded tools a PITA, I have loved having the battery powered tools. It's easy to grab them and get something done quickly so I use them more often and as a result, my property looks better.
I don't think you will go wrong with any of these brands you are looking at. My biggest advice would be to look at the ecosystem of tools and decide which suits you more.

My neighbor has an EGo mower and blower(56V). He loves them.
I invested in the Worx platform. I have a trimmer, blower(20V), and hedge trimmer. I like them a lot as well.
I have a 1/2 acre wooded lot. A little over 1/3 of it is grass. Lots of mulched beds, landscaping, and bushes. Batteries last plenty long enough to trim everything I need. The 20V blower is great for regular clearing of the deck and driveway, but not sufficient for the heavy leaves we get in the fall. I think the 56V options would do a pretty good job, but would need a number of batteries.

As other have noted the interchangeable batteries most brands have make it convenient so whatever you choose, look at the full line of tools to see if they have what you want. Just be aware some tools (ie mower, 56V blower) need bigger batteries than other tools like a string trimmer, hedge clipper, etc, so not all are interchangeable.

FWIW, as someone who doesn't want to deal with the maintenance of a bunch of small gasoline engines, but has a yard full of bushes and is just big enough that makes corded tools a PITA, I have loved having the battery powered tools. It's easy to grab them and get something done quickly so I use them more often and as a result, my property looks better.
I don't think you will go wrong with any of these brands you are looking at. My biggest advice would be to look at the ecosystem of tools and decide which suits you more.

I did purchase the 56V trimmer and blower. They are great. Just going back and forth between the gas mower or the ego mower. I think I will regret not at least trying the ego first. I have about 13,000 ft² of grass. The biggest concern is the cut quality. I'm not too worried about purchasing an extra battery if that's what it takes to get me through, I just want to make sure the cut itself is a good quality and that the mower has enough power to give a nice even cut without weaving stripes or long blades behind. I'm reading that suction is one of the bigger issues with the battery powered mowers. They don't generate enough suction to lift all the blades up and cut evenly and sometimes leave a mohawk behind.

@massimoManca II thanks for the response.

Sorry - missed your prior post...

I use Seafoam on everything internal-combustion except for the company-owned Subaru ... started using it about 10yrs ago on my minivan as the engine I had was notorious for carbon buildup at 100k mi...

my 2cycle chainsaws, faithful serving LawnBoy, Echo string-trimmer... likewise my 4cycle Toro snowblower, John Deere tractors, yard blower, my Honda eu2000i generator and my Onan 4000w RV genset.... just a splash every other fuel-up to kill off varnish and deposits... never once have experienced a varnish problem even though i almost never use ethanol-free fuel (probably would be wise to use ethanol-free in my small engines)

i know that some swear by adding in the crankcase but I’ve only used it as a fuel additive as that crankcase technique deal creates tons of smoke and will annoy neighbors, as I have read anyway...

Reactions: Agoodnap
I just ordered a EGO LM2135SP. My 20 year old Honda broke two cables this weekend (one for the throttle the other for the blade engagement handle). Its been in and out of the shop the last couple of years so feel like it is finally time to go to that green grass lawn in the sky.

I really wanted a push mower as these self-propelled ones seem to be nothing but something else to go wrong. However, I am hearing great things about the EGO Dual Blade system. I mulch and it is getting really good reviews as to the quality of cut. The second blade mulches or, you can swap it out for a blade that lifts the grass if you are picking up the clippings (which I may do for the fall leaf season). My second choice was a Greenworks. The third was a Makita. The Greenworks is really close but doesn't have the second blade but was about $250 less expensive (for a push). But I've kept my mowers for 20 years so didn't want to cheap it out. The Makita is getting great reviews for how long it goes between charges (and is also metal) but I don't think that is an issue for me.

So, in the end, I opted for the dual blade system. I get it Wednesday and will post what it is like to use.

ego-self-propelled-lawn-mowers-lm2135sp-64_1000.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Alphabets
I have a Homelite that I've used for 3 years and it works great on grass. . My daughter used it for several years before that. When she gave it to me (downsized from 7 acres in PA using an XMARK Zero Turn) I had to purchase a new battery pack which consisted of 2 batteries for $189. Because of the expense of batteries I wouldn't purchase a spare pack rather wait until needed. In reference to the above comment about cold weather and batteries - if you live in an area with freezing temps then pull your battery pack and store in your basement or garage where it won't freeze. Just like you would do with a tractor, ATV etc.

I just ordered a EGO LM2135SP. My 20 year old Honda broke two cables this weekend (one for the throttle the other for the blade engagement handle). Its been in and out of the shop the last couple of years so feel like it is finally time to go to that green grass lawn in the sky.

I really wanted a push mower as these self-propelled ones seem to be nothing but something else to go wrong. However, I am hearing great things about the EGO Dual Blade system. I mulch and it is getting really good reviews as to the quality of cut. The second blade mulches or, you can swap it out for a blade that lifts the grass if you are picking up the clippings (which I may do for the fall leaf season). My second choice was a Greenworks. The third was a Makita. The Greenworks is really close but doesn't have the second blade but was about $250 less expensive (for a push). But I've kept my mowers for 20 years so didn't want to cheap it out. The Makita is getting great reviews for how long it goes between charges (and is also metal) but I don't think that is an issue for me.

So, in the end, I opted for the dual blade system. I get it Wednesday and will post what it is like to use.

ego-self-propelled-lawn-mowers-lm2135sp-64_1000.jpg
So, FWIW, I bought and used this mower yesterday. Here is my experience:
  • The unit is an EGO LM2135SP. This model comes with three blades. The first blade is standard. The second and third blades are interchangeable. One of them is to promote mulching. The other to add suction to life grass and leaves so it can be cut and bagged. I used the mulching blade.
  • This model is self-propelled, which I don't like. Just one more thing to go wrong. However, you have to get self-propelled to get the multi-blade system. Without the multi-blade system, I would have gotten a Greenworks or Makita.
  • The unit is indeed plastic, which is disconcerting. However, it weighs about 60 lbs. My old Honda was closer to 90 or more. So, the thing is incredibly light.
  • It comes with headlights. Really? do people really cut their grass at night?
  • I cut my1/4 acre lawn and it didn't change the charge in the battery at all. The battery has five LED indicators. All five are lit when fully charged. When I was done, about 20 minutes, not a single LED turned off. I would imagine I can cut for an hour or so.
  • The cut was really strong and smooth. I saw no difference in cutting and mulching power from my Honda gas unit.
  • The thing was so light I turned off the self propulsion and just pushed. It is a bit long in the Wheelbase so it wasn't quite as quick to turn as my Honda. But the Honda was really heavy so it ends up being a wash.
  • The thing has so many easy adjustments: Length of handle, height of handle, cutting depth, lights, speed...very simple one-hand adjustments. Cutting height is a single pully you move up or back. I can't imaging it being easier.
  • While I understand the hesitancy to get a plastic mower, I don't see the downside. With the weight advantage, it is a no-brainer
  • It was so quiet...like running a blower at low speed. I typically don't cut before 10am with my old mower but don't' see that problem with this being so quiet.

Overall, if this thing maintains its cutting power (battery) I am 100% sold. I can't compare this to the other electric mowers but compared to my old gas mower, it is an easy decision (unless I have an acre to cut, then I'd get a rider anyway).

So, FWIW, I bought and used this mower yesterday. Here is my experience:
  • The unit is an EGO LM2135SP. This model comes with three blades. The first blade is standard. The second and third blades are interchangeable. One of them is to promote mulching. The other to add suction to life grass and leaves so it can be cut and bagged. I used the mulching blade.
  • This model is self-propelled, which I don't like. Just one more thing to go wrong. However, you have to get self-propelled to get the multi-blade system. Without the multi-blade system, I would have gotten a Greenworks or Makita.
  • The unit is indeed plastic, which is disconcerting. However, it weighs about 60 lbs. My old Honda was closer to 90 or more. So, the thing is incredibly light.
  • It comes with headlights. Really? do people really cut their grass at night?
  • I cut my1/4 acre lawn and it didn't change the charge in the battery at all. The battery has five LED indicators. All five are lit when fully charged. When I was done, about 20 minutes, not a single LED turned off. I would imagine I can cut for an hour or so.
  • The cut was really strong and smooth. I saw no difference in cutting and mulching power from my Honda gas unit.
  • The thing was so light I turned off the self propulsion and just pushed. It is a bit long in the Wheelbase so it wasn't quite as quick to turn as my Honda. But the Honda was really heavy so it ends up being a wash.
  • The thing has so many easy adjustments: Length of handle, height of handle, cutting depth, lights, speed...very simple one-hand adjustments. Cutting height is a single pully you move up or back. I can't imaging it being easier.
  • While I understand the hesitancy to get a plastic mower, I don't see the downside. With the weight advantage, it is a no-brainer
  • It was so quiet...like running a blower at low speed. I typically don't cut before 10am with my old mower but don't' see that problem with this being so quiet.

Overall, if this thing maintains its cutting power (battery) I am 100% sold. I can't compare this to the other electric mowers but compared to my old gas mower, it is an easy decision (unless I have an acre to cut, then I'd get a rider anyway).

Nice review. I'm still in the market as I am just now getitng my new landscaping. I won't need to cut for another month or so. Still torn. The biggest complaint I see about the battery powered is the suction and the cut quality. I guess I could always return the Ego if I'm not satidfied. I ahve all of their other tools and they are fantastic. Never tried the mower, however.

Nice review. I'm still in the market as I am just now getitng my new landscaping. I won't need to cut for another month or so. Still torn. The biggest complaint I see about the battery powered is the suction and the cut quality. I guess I could always return the Ego if I'm not satidfied. I ahve all of their other tools and they are fantastic. Never tried the mower, however.
That is exactly what the dual blade is designed to enhance. Five years ago, I bought a Husqvarna with a honda engine and sold it. It just didn't pick up and mulch debris (like dead leaves). The Honda left my yard looking like a carpet. I feel like the dual blade was just as good as the Honda. We'll see in the fall. The other issue is that, since it is much lighter, I don't think I'll get as many wheel marks or ruts when the ground is soft. That is something you may want to consider in your early cuts with a new lawn.

That is exactly what the dual blade is designed to enhance. Five years ago, I bought a Husqvarna with a honda engine and sold it. It just didn't pick up and mulch debris (like dead leaves). The Honda left my yard looking like a carpet. I feel like the dual blade was just as good as the Honda. We'll see in the fall. The other issue is that, since it is much lighter, I don't think I'll get as many wheel marks or ruts when the ground is soft. That is something you may want to consider in your early cuts with a new lawn.
Awesome. I love the benefits of this mower over the gas, however I still want the best cut possible so I'm willing to wait on the technology if it isn't quite there yet. Sounds like your experience so far is that it is up to the task.

Reactions: Obliviax
I have a Kobalt 80V with 2 batteries. I haven't had any problems with it in the 3 years we have had it. We have about a .25 acre and it usually takes both batteries to cut it. Next purchase is the 80V trimmer.

Anyone have one and could recommend? Torn between a Greenworks, Ego or Toro. Never had anything but gas, but making a change.
Hey, I am bumping this thread up. My 20 year old self propelled Honda just lost the self propelled transmission and I am ready to replace it. I have about 1/3 acre with about 6,000 sq. ft. of mowing. I am thinking about a Toro because the local hardware store sells them and they have always been a reliable source of support. I hate to buy anything that might need service from one of the big box stores. Any updates on the battery lawn mowers?
Thanks in advance.

Son-in-law has a Kobalt electric mower. Not bad, used it several times. But much prefer my Honda gas mower.

As another poster said, make sure you have several batteries. We had three ... 2 for the mower and one for a Kobalt string trimmer ... and though we had a relatively small yard really needed all of them.

Reactions: Parkland Fan
Hey, I am bumping this thread up. My 20 year old self propelled Honda just lost the self propelled transmission and I am ready to replace it. I have about 1/3 acre with about 6,000 sq. ft. of mowing. I am thinking about a Toro because the local hardware store sells them and they have always been a reliable source of support. I hate to buy anything that might need service from one of the big box stores. Any updates on the battery lawn mowers?
Thanks in advance.
I ended up going with a Honda HRX. It was just going to be too much of an investment with batteries. I have about 13k sq ft. All of my accessories are Ego, which I love. I just couldn't make the switch with the mower. The Honda however, is fantastic. So, I think i have the best of both worlds with the Honda mower and Ego accessories.

A little change of pace here: I have 3/4 of an acre and need to change my riding lawn mower - has anyone tried the battery riding lawn mowers?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT