ADVERTISEMENT

OT - Baseball Playoffs are excruciating

NittPicker

Jun 30, 2001
I'll start by saying I love baseball. Love the Phillies and I try to look past some of the annoying parts of how the game is played today. But the Astros/Chisox playoff game makes it obvious why so many fans are turning away. It's currently over 4.5 hours long for a nine inning, 10-1 game. I turned on FS1 to watch Nascar news and saw LaRussa whining for five minutes about a guy who was hit by a pitch. I'd have heard him out for a couple minutes and told him to take a seat. The pace of play is glacial and that falls on the umpires. Why would anyone want to watch such a long boring-assed game?

I'll start by saying I love baseball. Love the Phillies and I try to look past some of the annoying parts of how the game is played today. But the Astros/Chisox playoff game makes it obvious why so many fans are turning away. It's currently over 4.5 hours long for a nine inning, 10-1 game. I turned on FS1 to watch Nascar news and saw LaRussa whining for five minutes about a guy who was hit by a pitch. I'd have heard him out for a couple minutes and told him to take a seat. The pace of play is glacial and that falls on the umpires. Why would anyone want to watch such a long boring-assed game?
Good thing the relief pitchers have to face 3 batters.

Reactions: Midnighter2
What are u talking about?!!!! Playoff baseball is great!! Red Sox vs Houston; Dodgers vs Braves. Enjoy

I haven’t watched a single snap of playoff baseball this year. Nope, not a single tick off the clock for playoff baseball this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: psu00 and scbob
Yep. Pace of play as a result of hyperspecialization and analytics is killing the game. Every. Single. Pitch. Is. Not. A. Decision. Akin. To. Dday. Go/no-go.

Yep. Pace of play as a result of hyperspecialization and analytics is killing the game. Every. Single. Pitch. Is. Not. A. Decision. Akin. To. Dday. Go/no-go.
it is interesting when you watch a repeat of an old classic from the 1970's or 1980's. Basically pitch happens, catcher throws ball back to pitcher who is on the mound already, batter never really leaves the batters box, pitchers get a sign and pitches.

In today's game, the batter leaves the box after every pitch and adjust all kinds of things. pitcher leaves the pitchers mound for his pre-pitch routine. Catcher looks over to dugout to coach to get what they want, then catcher flashes sign, and then batter gets in box, and then finally the pitch occurs.

Buy a DVR.....it was quite an invention. I have no doubt that you are very familiar with whining.

Buy a DVR.....it was quite an invention. I have no doubt that you are very familiar with whining.
A live sporting event is more fun to watch live, if possible. Try it sometime. You might like it.

Oh, and go pound sand up your ass.

The NFL continues to drag games out too. Every flag requires a ref conference, and replays take far too long. Every game I watch is like this, and the announcers are calling out the league and refs more and more. Something needs to be done.

Games take wayyyyyy toooooo longggggg!!!!!
I read an article about this a couple of days ago. The average length of the first 17 playoff games was 3 hours and 40 minutes. The only game up until the time the article was written that was under 3 hours was game 1 of the Dodgers/Giants series. Regular season games were 3 hours and 11 minutes long on average. The author of the article is in favor of instituting a pitch clock.

Reactions: PrtLng Lion
I read an article about this a couple of days ago. The average length of the first 17 playoff games was 3 hours and 40 minutes. The only game up until the time the article was written that was under 3 hours was game 1 of the Dodgers/Giants series. Regular season games were 3 hours and 11 minutes long on average. The author of the article is in favor of instituting a pitch clock.
i don't have the data but i swear the commercial breaks between half innings are 60-90 seconds longer as well

The NFL continues to drag games out too. Every flag requires a ref conference, and replays take far too long. Every game I watch is like this, and the announcers are calling out the league and refs more and more. Something needs to be done.
I would be curious as to what is the average for the number of consecutive plays in an NFL game without one of the following happen: penalty, official review, and player injury. Seems like every other play one of those three things occur.

Reactions: creamery freak
I would be curious as to what is the average for the number of consecutive plays in an NFL game without one of the following happen: penalty, official review, and player injury. Seems like every other play one of those three things occur.
Fox has extended games it feels to me. Typically for most games they let each team run a series before going to commercial at the start of the game but I could have sworn Fox went to commercial after the first series. And just appears that the breaks they take are 15-30 seconds longer then a typical ESPN/ABC/CBS commercial break as just seems there is that one extra commercial in there. And if you look, they schedule the second game at 4PM to allow for extra time.

The worst part of it all is listening to the broadcasters, Fvck & Doltz on Fox. Hurling is insufferable on TBS.

I first remember baseball beginning in the 1973 season, when I was 9 years old. I just pulled a box score from Game 5 of the NLCS. The Mets beat the Reds 7-2, and the game took 2 hours and 40 minutes. Oakland beat the Mets 5-2 in Game 7 of the World Series, and the game took 2 hours and 37 minutes.

These were not pitchers duels, and they were deciding games of the series. So you would expect that "strategies" would have potentially extended those games as much as was common back in the day. Two hours and 40 minutes was all it took for each game.

The NLCS game 5 was held on October 10th, by the way. Game 7 of the World Series was held on October 21st. That's kind of how it should be. It is idiocy to try to play World Series games in late October or early November, particularly in the Northeast.

Reactions: mn78psu83
The worst part of it all is listening to the broadcasters, Fvck & Doltz on Fox. Hurling is insufferable on TBS.
I have free MLB on cell. I put Sox radio guys on. It’s about 10-15 seconds behind tv. I delay DVR until they’re synched up. Voila!! No Smoltz and Buck.

I have free MLB on cell. I put Sox radio guys on. It’s about 10-15 seconds behind tv. I delay DVR until they’re synched up. Voila!! No Smoltz and Buck.

You missed their "Siri" sequence last night. Enough to want to make you put your fist through the TV

Reactions: step.eng69
You missed their "Siri" sequence last night. Enough to want to make you put your fist through the TV
Ha. Our radio guys are homers. But, professional about it. Been listening to Castiglione since I got out of service in 84. Sean McDonough does some games and he’s great. Very blunt

Every year it’s the same thing. Got to pick up the pace of play. With a few exceptions, the problem isn’t the pitchers, it’s the batters stepping out after every pitch and taking a walk and, my personal favorite, readjusting BOTH batting gloves even after not swinging. Whatever happened to the rule that the batter had to keep one foot in the box?

Reactions: bison13
Yeah you are right. On the other hand, even with that the games are over in 3 hours or a little more. A 4 hour plus 9 inning game like the Dodgers and the Braves played is an absolute joke.

yeah that batters do that because they are trying to figure out what the next pitch is going to be. They should have to keep one foot in the box at all times. It really slows the game down.

The Braves/Dodgers game just ended. Please correct me if I’m wrong but it lasted 4hrs 20min. I flipped it over to the Red Sox/Astro’s game and they were in the bottom of the 4th. I know I’m getting older but I actually remember 2 hour games being the norm.

Baseball has lost me too. The games yesterday (Tuesday) were 4:14 and 4:04. Way, way, way too long for 9 inning games. I tried watching some of the AL game, but nothing was happening... perhaps 3 batters in 10 minutes of viewing the game. Switched over to an NHL game not even featuring my team.

I'll note that college football is trending in the same direction. Games should not take 3h30m++. Somehow the NFL is doing a better job than CFB on keeping the game lengths within reason.

Last edited:
I have not watched baseball in about 10 years. Pirates will never win and the game isn't what it used to be. Players cannot execute simple things that would have gotten them benched on my little league team. No stealing, no hit and run, no hitting behind the runner, striking out is okay, just swing as hard as you can every at bat. Pitchers pulled after 5 innings without giving up a run. 4 hours of the crap they put out is not for me. I would prefer a Seaver v Carlton or Maddux v Johnson 1 - 0 game in 2 hours

Reactions: PSU Lion 2000
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT