ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands you listen to that not to many people heard of

Hmmm....I'll add Rufus and Martha Wainwright. They're both probably 'known' (Rufus more than Martha) since they're the offspring of Loudoun Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle (wonderful singers/songwriters in their own right), and Rufus has some commercial success (even though 'Hallelujah' was somewhat well known because of Jeff Buckley, it became super popular after being featured in 'Shrek'; Wainwright's version isn't used in the movie, but it is on the soundtrack and I believe it to be the best version of the song) with soundtracks, commercials, and by being friends with famous folks like Judd Apatow. Rufus is classically trained, but his parents were folk singers, so his music is an eclectic mix of the two with some pop thrown in. Elton John called him the greatest songwriter on the planet. Martha is less well known but has some incredible pipes. Her most commercial thing ever was providing vocals on a Snow Patrol song (Set Fire to the Third Bar). She has a great, throaty voice and made some headlines a while ago when she did an Edith Piaf cover-song tour (though didn't do any of the hits).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm....I'll add Rufus and Martha Wainwright. They're both probably 'known' (Rufus more than Martha) since they're the offspring of Loudoun Wainwright III and Kate McGarrigle (wonderful singers/songwriters in their own right), and Rufus has some commercial success (even though 'Hallelujah' was somewhat well known because of Jeff Buckley, it became super popular after being featured in 'Shrek'; Wainwright's version isn't used in the movie, but it is on the soundtrack and I believe it to be the best version of the song) with soundtracks, commercials, and by being friends with famous folks like Judd Apatow. Rufus is classically trained, but his parents were folk singers, so his music is an eclectic mix of the two with some pop thrown in. Elton John called him the greatest songwriter on the planet. Martha is less well known but has some incredible pipes. Her most commercial thing ever was providing vocals on a Snow Patrol song (Set Fire to the Third Bar). She has a great, throaty voice and made some headlines a while ago when she did an Edith Piaf cover-song tour (though didn't do any of the hits).

Rufus has a song that I love called Cigarettes and Chocolate Milk.

Here, too. He believes artists should speak out through their music which is fine. But I have no problem with people making music for any reason. Not every song has to be about an issue. However, he straddled the line of believing that only if they agree with his POV should they speak up. I hope that's not the case.

Here, too. He believes artists should speak out through their music which is fine. But I have no problem with people making music for any reason. Not every song has to be about an issue. However, he straddled the line of believing that only if they agree with his POV should they speak up. I hope that's not the case.

Who?

Strand of Oaks (with My Morning Jacket band members on Eraserland album). Saw him in a lobby show last year at Kirby Center in Wilkes Barre. He was a teacher in Wilkes Barre when he started out in music and he began his tour last year there. Had his father in law come up and play bass on one song. His father in law was in a local band, The Buoys, who had a hit single with their song Timothy.

The Hives...They're kinda old (10yrs) but I still listen to them often and they never really made a huge splash here in North America.

Le Tigre (again, kinda old)
(This video is nothing short of hilarious! - very Devo like)

Clairy Browne & the Bangin Rackettes

The Temper Trap
(I don't know why these guys haven't made it big here in the US?)

I remember when The Hives (and all the other 'the' bands) were coming out and ABC/ESPN used 'Hate to Say I Told You So' in a Penn State montage for an upcoming game. Great band.

Reactions: PSUQBKeeper
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT