ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Bands/artists whose first album was their best...

the-gun-club-preaching-the-blues-big-time-ab.jpg

Lyrics NSFW

Journey Journey (Saw with Van Halen at the Tower on their first tours)
Van Halen Van Halen
The Cars
Hendrix Are you experienced
Ramones Ramones
Doors Doors
Led Zepplin Led Zepplin

Boston, The Cars and Foreigner are all good picks, but Boston never got anywhere close to that again. First albums are often best because they've had time to develop a sound. After that, the record companies influence the sound or want more of the same. I agree with Dire Straits first album as well, as the sound was different than anything else they did. Still great but different.

Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill was a great album (I consider albums "great" if you can listen to all the songs on the album and not want to skip any) although I would easily say that Aja was also "great" - and better. Maybe CBAT deserves an "honorable mention?"

Cant_buy_a_tcant_buy_a_thrill.jpg
Aja_album_cover.jpg

Reactions: HazletonLion
Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience. First major studio album which re-released 6 songs from their first limited release.

Didn't help that their lead creative force got kicked out of the band for uncontrollable drinking and died soon after. Pretty much ended any hopes for staying power.

I think there is a reason that you can make a case for so many bands' first albums being their best. The first album usually represents who they are - and the work that got them to that point. After that, many (not all) are producing product for the recording/marketing machine- because once they arrive, they understandably want to STAY at some level of commercial success. This was especially true when the record companies really controlled every aspect of a band's career.

Just watched PPV Once Were Brothers, Scorsese doc about Robbie Robertson & The Band. IMO one of the greatest American bands ever. First album, Music From Big Pink, came along post their Bob Dylan tour and working with Dylan at Big Pink where The Basement Tapes originated.

ACAP_42793__52413__01152009123640-4587.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: A2Nit
Just watched PPV Once Were Brothers, Scorsese doc about Robbie Robertson & The Band. IMO one of the greatest
American bands ever. First album, Music From Big Pink, came along post their Bob Dylan tour and working with Dylan at Big Pink where The Basement Tapes originated.

ACAP_42793__52413__01152009123640-4587.jpg
CS&N first album was often referred to as "Music From Big Egos" by people in the industry

Steely Dan's Can't Buy A Thrill was a great album (I consider albums "great" if you can listen to all the songs on the album and not want to skip any) although I would easily say that Aja was also "great" - and better. Maybe CBAT deserves an "honorable mention?"

Cant_buy_a_tcant_buy_a_thrill.jpg
Aja_album_cover.jpg
Aja gets my vote as Steeley Dan's best album, and one of my all time favorites. Every song is tight and strong.

YES!!! This album is an all timer. Far too few people know of Gun Club.
I just listened to some, I’m gonna learn it for sure. This is squarely in the rick me’s wheelhouse. Embarrassed I don’t know them. LOVE being introduced to new artists. If you see a guy wearing a FIDLAR shirt in state college, he’ll buy you a beer.:D

Last edited:
Reactions: WestSideLion
I just listened to some, I’m gonna learn it for sure. This is squarely in the rick me’s wheelhouse. Embarrassed I don’t know them. LOVE being introduced to new artists. If you see a guy wearing a FIDLAR shirt in state college, he’ll buy you a beer.:D
Enjoy! On the topic of great covers, here is The Raveonettes coveting Sex Beat. It’s really great and shows the span of influence Gun Club had.

Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience. First major studio album which re-released 6 songs from their first limited release.

Didn't help that their lead creative force got kicked out of the band for uncontrollable drinking and died soon after. Pretty much ended any hopes for staying power.
Really sad story. I was in Tempe when they took off. Great album. Great music.

There are a bunch of bands from the late 80's and early 90's who had a hot debut album and then vanished. A standout off the top of my head is Spacehog's 'Resident Alien'. I remember one music journalist saying of all the 90's grunge/alternative bands, Spacehog would have the best and longest career. LOL.

Reactions: Hotshoe
3 Doors Down, The Better Life.

Excellent choice. That album plays solid from beginning to end. The hits are front loaded, the ballad in the middle, and the end just keeps chugging along.

Not sure what happened but it's like they grew up too quick. Second album was okay and the third album slightly less so to the point I just didn't keep up with them anymore.

Hopkins hid some serious pain behind seemingly upbeat music.

“she had nothing left to say, so she said she loved me. I stood there grateful for the lie”

The entire song Hey Jealousy is brutal, but this stanza is particularly rough:

“And you can trust me not to think (changed from drink)
And not to sleep around
If you don't expect too much from me
You might not be let down”

Last edited:
They played at several local bars in Tempe. Another was Blues Traveler. You could get right up front with them.

I completely agree. If asked the old deserted island question regarding what LZ album you could take with you I would say Physical Graffiti 'cause I get twice as much music.

A couple songs that stand out for me. The Rover demands to be listened to while driving down a highway in a fast powerful car. Kashmir is my song when I am hiking in the mountains of Colorado, or anywhere. Whenever I there is a long uphill grade, a couple thousand feet or whatever, up multiple swichbacks my brain puts that song on a continuous loop until I get to the top.
Agreed, but to be fair, either half of that record could stand as a great record.

“she had nothing left to say, so she said she loved me. I stood there grateful for the lie”

And not to sleep around
A bit like John Rzeznik of the Goo Goo Dolls. Both battled depression. Both wrote amazing songs. Thankfully, John got through it. He also battled writers block for quite a while. It's like being Irish.

And not to sleep around

"Time can't wake your frozen heart
With an ocean in between us, we can only row so far
And love won't wait for you so long."

"You can always hope that somehow you can rise above
Empty bottles and regrets always piling up
We don't always want what's easy, never is enough
Not what I set out to be but more than what I was

And I won't break
I won't let it break my heart

You can always walk a hard line, you can stand alone
But, when your dreams die fast they all return as ghosts
Looking out from under shadow, blinded by the sun
With my eyes wide shut, I stare and soak it up

And I won't break
I won't let it break my heart."

These lyrics from their '18 album are pretty damn good. Love this band. Saw 'em last year with Collective Soul. Still got it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT