ADVERTISEMENT

OT: back injury treatment

DSCP

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2002
Upon retiring in May, I proceeded to engage is a lot of physical activity, including way too much lifting of heavy objects.
The result was a disc issue between L4 and L5 with some of the disc nucleus material extruding and sitting on my sciatic
nerve. The pain was excruciating for the first couple of weeks. I had an MRI and saw a Physiatrist (Orthopedist who treats
musculoskeletal issues without surgery), but he has referred me to a surgeon in the same practice. The surgeon explained
that he can do an outpatient surgical procedure that takes about 30 minutes. He does not want to rush into it,
however, and recommended physical therapy as an initial treatment. I started this couple of weeks ago doing
McKenzie exercises. My primary on-going symptom is weakness in the left leg with sporadic numbness/stiffness
in the shin. I also still get some occasional pain in the left hip/butt. So my questions:

Anyone with similar experience who recovered with just the physical therapy ?
Anyone who had surgery to relieve the pressure on the nerve ... was it effective ?

The surgeon has forewarned me that its possible some permanent damage has occurred with the nerves
that may leave the leg weak in spite of the surgery.

Thanks for any good input/advise

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News