ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Anything I can do to keep my internet from cutting out? (Edited title)

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
Wife and I are both working from home now and a steady WiFi is imperative. (We make Zoom videos, for one thing.) Lately we’ve been losing our WiFi a little too often, not so much that it’s a serious problem but often enough that it’s a pain in the ass. Anything we can do? Any suggestions?

Wife and I are both working from home now and a steady WiFi is imperative. (We make Zoom videos, for one thing.) Lately we’ve been losing our WiFi a little too often, not so much that it’s a serious problem but often enough that it’s a pain in the ass. Anything we can do? Any suggestions?
What type of service do you have and how many neighbors do you have? With everyone else being home and online, depending on who you have service with and what type, you might be sharing bandwidth and getting bogged down.

Demand the bandwidth that is required of the telecommuting systems we built in the 1980's..... WTF?

I had the same issue with my provider Spectrum in North Texas. I was turning in my old set box equipment as I was moving to the net ....but keeping their internet access. I had my WiFi unit with me and complained about it’s lack of strength. The handed me ( for free) an upgraded WiFi unit as mine was about 4 years old. I plugged in the new unit and it works like a champ....supporting 5 tv’s ....2 lap tops and 3 iPads. Moral of my story....see your provider face to face if possible and you shall receive.....good luck

Reactions: BBrown
I had the same issue with my provider Spectrum in North Texas. I was turning in my old set box equipment as I was moving to the net ....but keeping their internet access. I had my WiFi unit with me and complained about it’s lack of strength. The handed me ( for free) an upgraded WiFi unit as mine was about 4 years old. I plugged in the new unit and it works like a champ....supporting 5 tv’s ....2 lap tops and 3 iPads. Moral of my story....see your provider face to face if possible and you shall receive.....good luck

I did the same... the new router fails more than the old one.

I upgraded my modem and got an meshforce mesh system for a router... Amazed with the difference ....

I had to upgrade another house and got an eero mesh system for the router, it is even better.

I have an older laptop that has wireless g, the router is ac. Even though they are supposed to be compatible, the laptop can't get very far from the router or it stops dropping and reconnecting. No other devices have this problem, and the laptop never had any problems on the old router. I looked up my laptop wifi card and sure enough it doesn't play nice with the ac router.

I have an older laptop that has wireless g, the router is ac. Even though they are supposed to be compatible, the laptop can't get very far from the router or it stops dropping and reconnecting. No other devices have this problem, and the laptop never had any problems on the old router. I looked up my laptop wifi card and sure enough it doesn't play nice with the ac router.

You can pick up a USB network adapter for less than $20. Dual band, with speeds up to 1200Mbps and better signal at that price. You can also get the type that has a physical antenna attached for even more range.

Reactions: 91Joe95

Is it the wifi connection or the internet connection? Some providers throttle back their "unlimited" speeds once you pass a certain threshold, which could impact high bandwidth applications, especially if you have multiple connections.

Do you have separate cablemodem and wifi router, or combined (and how old are they)? You rarely get the best of both worlds in a single unit. I've always bought my own wifi routers and bought my own cablemodem for Xfinity years ago, as I only use internet.

Is it the wifi connection or the internet connection? Some providers throttle back their "unlimited" speeds once you pass a certain threshold, which could impact high bandwidth applications, especially if you have multiple connections.

Do you have separate cablemodem and wifi router, or combined (and how old are they)? You rarely get the best of both worlds in a single unit. I've always bought my own wifi routers and bought my own cablemodem for Xfinity years ago, as I only use internet.
Internet.

Republion is right. The volume of people using the internet at home has skyrocketed due to the quarantine and is causing service to cut in and out in some areas. Do you have many neighbors?

Other than ethernet wire directly to the router, potentially get a Wifi Extender and do direct wire to the extender. I've got a similar issue with my wife teaching via zoom. Really have to work around her schedule. I also reboot the Wifi Router and modem every morning. Seems to help a little.

When you say your WiFi is cutting out do you mean you are losing your connection to your router or is your connection to your router still there but with no internet connectivity?

A mesh network will boost and extend your network. My wife and I have worked home for years and cut the cord years back.....we rarely have issues. I've been using the Google nest, but there are tons of options out there.

https://www.pcmag.com/picks/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems

EDIT:....as others have pointed out, ensure you have the proper bandwidth first by running a speed test. If that is sufficient, then look at putting in a mesh network. I had to because they put the wiring closet in the front corner of of my house. If your just dropping your ISP connection, a mesh network won't help that.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Stan
Internet.

Seems you’ve answered my first question. Your wifi isn’t out. Your internet is. This is an important distinction because the solutions are different. WiFi =/= Internet. WiFi is simply the connection between your computer and router and no WAN (Internet) is required for it to work.

If you have a router/gateway combo (just one box) for whatever service you have power cycle it. That means unplug it for a few seconds and plug it back in. If you have a separate modem and router power cycle both of them. If this does not fix it you will need to figure out which piece of hardware may be the issue. If you have just one box replace it. If the problem goes away you found your problem. If you have two (separate modem and router) replace the router. If your problem goes away you found your problem. If not replace the modem. If your problem goes away you found your problem.

If none of that works call your ISP and explain what you did. The problem isn’t something you can resolve. It’s a line issue. Or a switch issue on their end. Or some other issue on their end.

In my experience, the first thing I’d do is get rid of them shitty modem and router that that provider give you. Get your own. They charge you rent every month and the quality is seriously lacking. It’s not hard to find a good modem and router on the interwebz and set it up yourself.

@LionJim, I had an Asus tri-band router that could handle everything in my old house. When I moved, I was surprised to find that despite its power, the signal was spotty in some areas resulting in WiFi cutting out in places--especially when there was more than one video stream happening.

I did research and went with an Orbi RBK50 tri-band mesh system with one satellite. I did some investigating about proper placement, and the Orbi is more than enough to cover both floors, the basement, and front & back porches. I routinely pull 300+ mbps in all areas from any device. I was honestly skeptical about how it would work and it certainly wasn't cheap. But the results exceeded my expectations by a wide margin.

Now, the wife and I are both WFH and Zooming all day. Plus our baby sitter is watching Netflix--and none of us have the slightest bit of drag and the network doesn't flinch.

Here's the system I got--there are a couple of upgraded versions now that are significantly more expensive--I'm sure they are good too. Basically, point being as I've said in many IPTV threads, don't cheap out on a router. I got mine for about $320, and I see it's only slightly more expensive now ($330).

Orbi RBK 50 System

Echoing @nittanyfan333 and @ThePennsyOracle.

I have a GB contract with Xfinity and use a personally owned Netgear GB cablemodem and Netgear GB wifi router. My entire family is currently at home - three working/streaming, one completing online streaming coursework with UGA to complete her senior year. No issues.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
jsut so you have my setup, I have a NETGEAR CM400 router and an ASUS RT-N66U. Granted I got this setup about 6-7 years ago so it's pretty dated but i still have zero issues with it so i'm not changing it. I have zero issues with 2.4 or 5 signal anywhere in my house, and i LOVE the capability to connect my external HD to it and access it through my network. Overall great setup and can be had for less than 150$ for everything.

I had a terrible Internet connection at home. I was in such agony. I have been looking for a suitable Internet provider for a long time. I travel a lot and visit my friends in Illinois. They told me about using the usave Internet service provider. I hadn't heard of it and decided to study it myself. I found the site and was surprised that they have different packages for very funny money. I tried it and was satisfied. I advise everyone to at least look at it and you will be satisfied!

Last edited:

How about etherneting directly into the router? That way you wouldn't be using the WiFi?
Or maybe a signal booster? I know Xfinity has some that work.

I have a <1 year old modem and router. We zoomed with my mom, brothers, sister, and kids Friday nights with no problems. My wife had to zoom for her high school class during the weekdays and that was a big problem with service dropouts. I had a zoom doctor checkup. It dropped out 3 times. They called me on the phone to finish the appointment. I think our ISP is selling something they don't have.

Reactions: The Spin Meister
All gamers know that a direct Ethernet connection is the only way to go. Of course they also care about ping rate and other things but the last thing they want when they are about ready to win Fortnight is for the internet connection to drop. The same applies to you, if you are Zooming a class, the last thing you want is for your internet to drop.

Internet.

How fast is your internet service supposed to be?
How much separation between your modem/router to your laptop?
Have you tried to run a speed test (speedtest.net) at your laptop.... then compare it to where your modem/router is?
Are your laptops old? They may not be able to handle the WIFI signal you have.

My wife works for a cable/internet company and handles speed/connectivity complaints all the time. 95% of the time the issue is on the user's end. Usually a router or modem.

I saw one poster complaining about internet provider equipment. The plus side is that if you rent their equipment all repairs/upgrades are on them (at least with our company).

How fast is your internet service supposed to be?
How much separation between your modem/router to your laptop?
Have you tried to run a speed test (speedtest.net) at your laptop.... then compare it to where your modem/router is?
Are your laptops old? They may not be able to handle the WIFI signal you have.
Got new separate modem and router, and had the Comcast guy come out and tighten a few connections. Works like a charm now.
Problem solved.

Reactions: SLUPSU
did comcast charge you for the call? Just wondering

I had the same thing done to mine. But Comcast outsourced it to to a cable company here in MD. Mine was an old (original 80's cable) and rusty cable that needed to be replaced. But because it was from the street to the box I did not have to pay for it. If it would have been from the box to my house I would have been billed.

Got new separate modem and router, and had the Comcast guy come out and tighten a few connections. Works like a charm now.

thats-what-they-want-you-to-think.jpg

Reactions: LionJim
I had the same thing done to mine. But Comcast outsourced it to to a cable company here in MD. Mine was an old (original 80's cable) and rusty cable that needed to be replaced. But because it was from the street to the box I did not have to pay for it. If it would have been from the box to my house I would have been billed.
I did a self install for my modem, followed the written instructions, could not get it to install. Called the help line, still could not get it to install, while following their instructions to the letter. Finally they said we will have to send out a service tech. Fine, will I be billed? no they say. They show up, and ask me what was going on, I show them the instructions I have and follow them, nothing. He says, oh, you have to put a #1 in front of this. (or whatever) It doesn't say that in the instructions I reply. Well you do, so I put the #1 in front, and there you go, everything works!!! why the help line didn't tell me that, IDK. The guy leaves. I get my bill, with a charge on it, for install. I say WTF? I call them and say oh yes, we had to come out, at which time I let loose and tell them if their instructions where correct, they wouldn't have to. They did take it off the bill.
Loose connections seem to be a root of many problems.

Reactions: 91Joe95 and BBrown
I installed a $300 tri-band Mesh Wifi system. I selected the Google Eero due to the price-performance I was getting. They are all the same, I replaced a dual-band Amplifi mesh router.

I have 200MB service from Wowway with this router and it screams!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT