ADVERTISEMENT

OT: anyone driven through Croatia, Montenegro, Slovenia, Hungary?

N&B4PSU

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
As in any or all of the above. Bosnia too.

Finishing cruise in Budapest and plan to rent a car and do a bit of driving.. most of it in Croatia and Montenegro. Yup.. me, the wife, the daughter, the sister. I'm the one sleeping in the tent.. most likely. Well, at least bathroom time should be a creative adventure.

We've done the coastine already, but this time we'll be doing a bit more inland.

So... any thoughts AT ALL are welcome.

And yes, I've already encountered this warning lol

Drove through a bit of Hungary many years ago. I'm afraid I can't be of much help. The one thing I remember is seeing a guy riding an ox pulled cart down the road. He wasn't farming- it was his 'car'. ;). It has likely changed a lot by now but back then the difference from Budapest to the outlying countryside was like going back in time.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
I drove through Tijuana Mexico with a bunch of drunk navy friends coming back from a donkey show.

Reactions: psu00
I have not.. when I did an Eastern Europe trip a couple years back I did Prague, Bratislava, Budapest, and Krakow... Of those, if I could do it again, I would have passed on Bratislava and spent that time in Budapest -- I would go back there for sure.

Craziest thing I did there was an indoor hot springs pool party... yea, don't think I'll be of much help to ya.

Sir, we have a car we believe will enhance your experience and make it more authentic. We're pulling it around now, happy motoring.

th

Finishing cruise in Budapest and plan to rent a car and do a bit of driving.. most of it in Croatia and Montenegro. Yup.. me, the wife, the daughter, the sister. I'm the one sleeping in the tent.. most likely. Well, at least bathroom time should be a creative adventure.

We've done the coastine already, but this time we'll be doing a bit more inland.

Drove a lot in Bosnia/Sarajevo/Croatia when stationed at Camp Butmir. Bosnia’s infrastructure was (at the time - 2003) pretty poor. Lots of unfinished roads and not uncommon to see people herding animals across them. Sarajevo was pretty good, but once outside the roads can get narrow and there’s a lot of beeping before turning tight corners. Croatia is fine though - very well developed. Lots of great little restaurants along the roads - you’ll see skinned goats in the windows and vinegar to add to your soup if you stop (sort of like a goulash).

I did the Budapest to Bucharest river cruise last September.
We didn't venture outside Budapest on the bus tour but did in Croatia, Bulgaria, and Romania, all with beautiful countryside, little villages, and remnants of Communist-era manufacturing facilities and housing compounds. I found taxi drivers, bus tour guides, and boat crew very friendly and informative. The Viking cruise we were on had crew members from every country on the cruise. They shared their and their families' experiences in the area (both good and bad). So I would talk with these people, and even others on your tour. Some on our tour and others in the hotel had friends or family that lived in the area. They might be able to make suggestions. Enjoy. I want to go back and do a drive with a bike through some of that area. The cities seem so bike friendly.

Boy how times have changed.

You might enjoy a book called "Save the Last Bullet for Yourself: A Soldier of Fortune in the Balkans and Somalia".

It was written by a guy I know whose name is Rob Krott. He's a Harvard graduate, but don't let that fool you.

After "leaving" active duty as an Officer in the Army, he worked with other Governments as what might be described as an "Advisor" (among some other things). About half to two thirds of the book is about the time he spent in Bosnia and Croatia during their Civil War as an "unofficial" advisor over there. He has written many articles for "Soldier of Fortune" Magazine, and I can tell you first hand, he is a legit bad a$$ (I say that in the most complimentary of ways. He's a great guy and I like him a lot.) :).

He probably has more knowledge of hand held weaponry, meaning everything from knives and swords to guns, of anyone else I know. He owns a literal museum of weaponry. Saw him make some biker look like a total fool at a party once when this biker thought he would "educate" him on knives.

Anyway, since the book was written, he has been employed as a security contractor in Iraq and been involved in other "adventures" like Sudan and other places, but the book I am linking you to focuses mostly on his time in Bosnia and his "service" in the Croatian Army.

It's fascinating to read what really happens in the dark shadows behind what you watch on CNN and the other MSM. If you are traveling through Bosnia and Croatia, I really recommend you read his book. You can get it on Amazon. It will give you a fascinating, first hand history lesson of what that area was like just 20 to 25 years ago, and what it was like for him to be involved with it as a Commissioned Officer in a Croatian Commando Unit.

Amazon product ASIN 1932033955

Will also add - Bosnia is home to a lot of unexploded mines. Like the said when I was there, 'Be Mine Aware'!

http://www.bhmac.org/?page_id=747&lang=en

We rented a car and drove from Trieste to the Slovenian capital of Ljubljana to site see. Their interstate highways are similar to ours.
Check out the city's river area...it is a good bet for eats, shopping, etc. The terrain is mostly hilly and mountainous and therefore a scenic drive.

We then drove to Portoroz on the Adriatic coast, a very picturesque tourist mecca (with awesome seafood) worth seeing. We did this all in a day and drove back to Trieste late that evening since we were short on time. All in all, an enjoyable day trip.

We visited Dubrovnik this summer - great town. We also did a day trip to Bosnia. Bosnia feels about 20 years behind Croatia - we were happy to have a driver deal with the little things (like bribing border control, parking in Mostar, knowing which cafe to stop at, etc.). I have traveled lots of places, but I don't know how comfortable I would be driving Bosnia by myself.

I guess if you've been there, you know the drill.... I would think Croatian coast and even Montenegro would be fine. Just think twice about Bosnia.

First, thanks to all! I know this one is off the beaten track so any info is much appreciated.

JJTopp99... precisely what I was wondering about. I had the sense we could veer off the main road from Zagreb into slovenia and to trieste, maybe spend the night in one or the other. Then the next day scoot down to Split and Dubrovnik to set up a home base.

Again, thanks to all... and while i'm traveling with 3 women, I can honestly say I'm looking forward to all the scenery Croatia has to offer :) (we were in Croatia and Montenegro last year and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed both).

First, thanks to all! I know this one is off the beaten track so any info is much appreciated.

JJTopp99... precisely what I was wondering about. I had the sense we could veer off the main road from Zagreb into slovenia and to trieste, maybe spend the night in one or the other. Then the next day scoot down to Split and Dubrovnik to set up a home base.

Again, thanks to all... and while i'm traveling with 3 women, I can honestly say I'm looking forward to all the scenery Croatia has to offer :) (we were in Croatia and Montenegro last year and I can say I thoroughly enjoyed both).

--------------

I spent a couple of days driving around Slovenia - it's beautiful, the roads are excellent and you can see most of the country in 1 - 2 days. The mountains (Julian Alps) will remind you of Switzerland or Austria and Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj are spectacular - don't miss them. There's beautiful wine country along the border with Italy and the small Adriatic coast is quite nice - see Piran and Potoroz.

The Istrian Peninsula in Croatia is very nice and worth driving around. The southern coastal region of Croatia is also beautiful as there are lots of wineries (zinfandel originated here) and great coastal views where mountains meet the sea. Dubrovnik is quite nice though overcrowded with tourists during high season. Montenegro is spectacular, a little bit wild and undeveloped in the interior and small enough that you can see most of it in a day or two. Don't miss Kotor!

Regarding
Obviously you've never been to Croatia.
--------------

I spent a couple of days driving around Slovenia - it's beautiful, the roads are excellent and you can see most of the country in 1 - 2 days. The mountains (Julian Alps) will remind you of Switzerland or Austria and Lake Bled and Lake Bohinj are spectacular - don't miss them. There's beautiful wine country along the border with Italy and the small Adriatic coast is quite nice - see Piran and Potoroz.

The Istrian Peninsula in Croatia is very nice and worth driving around. The southern coastal region of Croatia is also beautiful as there are lots of wineries (zinfandel originated here) and great coastal views where mountains meet the sea. Dubrovnik is quite nice though overcrowded with tourists during high season. Montenegro is spectacular, a little bit wild and undeveloped in the interior and small enough that you can see most of it in a day or two. Don't miss Kotor!

I still think Kotor is what drove us back to this neck of the woods... we both loved it! The key for me has been how safe the interior will be and it sounds like we'll be just fine.

And as a wine guy, I think we'll all enjoy that aspect of the trip (heard a lot about slovenia's wines).

Really appreciate everyone's comments!

I just did Montenegro and the coast of Croatia this past August with my wife. We drove up from Kotor through Dubrovnik, ferry'd to Hvar, then to Split and ended in Zadar. Lovely experience and I ended up enjoying the rocky beaches much more than I anticipated.

For Croatia, on your way to Split we loved doing a combo of Bibic Winery & Krka National Park if you've never been (outside of Split about an hour). Its a smaller version of Plitvice but you can take a dip in the water which was nice in the August heat, depending on the weather, this may or may not be intriguing... The winery was featured in Anthony Bourdain's travel series, you can do a very nice tasting and eating experience there. Need reservations ahead of time. And then right outside of Split is the Fortress of Klis which has great views of Split, the interior and the ocean. It is used in GoT.

On your way further South, if you plan to detour into Bosnia-Herzegovina, most things I have read recommend staying over night in Mostar to really get a feel for the town without the day trippers from Dubrovnik. There is a wine region just outside of Mostar that you could stop in or go closer to the boarder with Montenegro to Trebijne.

If wineries are your thing, in Montenegro we found Savina Winery to have lovely views of the Bay and a really nice Rose wine. It is about 5 minutes outside Herceg Novi. Also, if you did not do this last year, drive up the Serpentine Roads overhead Kotor, amazing views and a neat little town up there known for its prosciutto like ham.

Excited to hear how the trip goes!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT