ADVERTISEMENT

OT-Any BWI pool players out there?

Petch

Mar 28, 2012
Favorite Game? 8 ball/ 9 ball/ One pocket/ 14.1?
Pool hall/bars/both?
League player? TAP/APA? Skill level?
Tournament player? Superbilliardsexpo? Local?
Gambler/Social player?
Favorite pro(s)?

Reactions: psu_1294
9 ball, my basement, amateur, I’ve had tournaments and awarded trophies before, social only, couldn’t name a current pro.

Pool hall/bars/both?
Gambler/Social player?
Favorite pro(s)?
getting back into the game. now playing daily 3 to 4 hrs. I will be joining an APA league in November. It's an 8-ball league. 8 ball is my preferred game but just was introduced to one pocket and am starting to like it. Pool is huge here in the Tampa area.

Reactions: Petch
Pool hall/bars/both?
Gambler/Social player?
Favorite pro(s)?
I actually got back into it after coming across my cue stick. Still unpacking odds and ends even after having moved here 3 yrs ago. I go regularly to a place where several of us geezers play. Some of names seem like a cheap novel; Boston Bill, Brooklyn Joe, Dennis the Menace, Turtle, and Sponge. All good players. I'm enjoying it as much or more than I ever have.

Reactions: kevin310
I actually got back into it after coming across my cue stick. Still unpacking odds and ends even after having moved here 3 yrs ago. I go regularly to a place where several of us geezers play. Some of names seem like a cheap novel; Boston Bill, Brooklyn Joe, Dennis the Menace, Turtle, and Sponge. All good players. I'm enjoying it as much or more than I ever have.
That’s great olelion! It’s a great game that I’ve been addicted to since I was a teenager. My dad was a great player in his youth. He played straight pool in Pittston, PA in the 40’s. Played and beat Fats for cash. He used to bring me to the pool room every once in awhIle late at night and he’d play poker while I got to shoot until about 4:00am. I got hooked…and he surprised me with a pool table in our attic one Christmas. I had so many great memories playing up there with him and my friends. Almost always played straight pool.

I played thru my Penn State days. The old hub had the room in a slightly different place and they had the ACUI collegiate regional championships there. More great memories.

Then life happened…family, kids, work and I didn’t get to play much until we bought a second house with a large basement that currently holds my Penn State room with a Gandy 9-foot commercial table that I bought used from a pool hall that closed ironically in Pittston (not the same pool hall from my youth). I’ve been playing pretty steadily for the last 20 years and have participated in many local tournaments and APA/TAP teams. Currently on 2 local TAP teams and love the game as much as I ever have. Glad to hear that you have a rekindled love for the game as well.

I have a psu pool light that I used for a short time for my 9 foot table if you were looking into that. Same with psu cover and psu balls. Could sell one or all to anyone who might enjoy them.

I used to play four nights a week, traveled to a few tournaments every year. Then I had to get bifocals, and my game was never the same. I've played maybe twice in the last three years.

That’s great olelion! It’s a great game that I’ve been addicted to since I was a teenager. My dad was a great player in his youth. He played straight pool in Pittston, PA in the 40’s. Played and beat Fats for cash. He used to bring me to the pool room every once in awhIle late at night and he’d play poker while I got to shoot until about 4:00am. I got hooked…and he surprised me with a pool table in our attic one Christmas. I had so many great memories playing up there with him and my friends. Almost always played straight pool.

I played thru my Penn State days. The old hub had the room in a slightly different place and they had the ACUI collegiate regional championships there. More great memories.

Then life happened…family, kids, work and I didn’t get to play much until we bought a second house with a large basement that currently holds my Penn State room with a Gandy 9-foot commercial table that I bought used from a pool hall that closed ironically in Pittston (not the same pool hall from my youth). I’ve been playing pretty steadily for the last 20 years and have participated in many local tournaments and APA/TAP teams. Currently on 2 local TAP teams and love the game as much as I ever have. Glad to hear that you have a rekindled love for the game as wel

Then life happened…family, kids, work and I didn’t get to play much until we bought a second house with a large basement that currently holds my Penn State room with a Gandy 9-foot commercial table that I bought used from a pool hall that closed ironically in Pittston (not the same pool hall from my youth). I’ve been playing pretty steadily for the last 20 years and have participated in many local tournaments and APA/TAP teams. Currently on 2 local TAP teams and love the game as much as I ever have. Glad to hear that you have a rekindled love for the game as well.
There was a place on College Ave. i think it was the Billiard Room or something like that. once in the door you had to go up a few steps to the place. a Lot of very good players there. lots of 9 ball. i generally made some spending money but also got my ass kicked at that place. that was the late 60's. there was also the golden 8 ball on Beaver. much more of a social pool hall.

Reactions: CJinVA
I got pretty good at 8-ball back in the 70’s. Mostly in bars, playing for beers. Stopped when one opponent got a little too aggressive after I beat him. IIRC, bar tables were $.25/game (gas was $.29/gal!).

Fellow “old timers, teens in the 60’s”…remember the smell of cigarette smoke, the other smells/odors and sounds of the old pool rooms? In my home town, the favorite pool hall was Joe Nobs (maybe Knobs?). Owned by Joe Napoli (connections?). No wonder my parents forbid me going there. I’m Irish, not Italian. Lots of card games went on in the back.

I own a pool table that gets as much use as my exercise bike. Although the Penn State cover does help make the room,

I used to have a table in my Penn State room at my old house. Penn State cover, cue ball, cue stick, table light, etc. I really enjoyed it. I practiced and played a lot.

My wife and I had a lot of good times with that table (but I don't think that is what this thread is about!

I was quite a good player while in college. I used the sides pretty well, could get good touch on bank shots. (I know geometry.) It’s a skill where you see yourself continuously improving, that’s a cool thing.

Last edited:
Two-Five and Harrigan were my favorite games at McCartneys on Kensington Ave in Philly in the the late 60’/early 70’s.
usually had an open Harrigan game going all day Saturday.

Straight pool. I ran 77 during my best year of playing which equates to over 5 plus racks. Not many considering my favorite player ran 526 straight in his prime ( 35 racks )…Willie Mosconi. My dad owned a pool room and in 1956 he had Willie in for a exhibition. After the exhibition he talked Willie into playing me a game of 8-ball and with some pleading dad convinced Willie into throwing the game in my favor; I was 10. Dad never told me otherwise until I was a young man.

Reactions: Fac
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT