ADVERTISEMENT

OT: A friend has terrible breath.

LionJim

Oct 8, 2003
Levittown, PA to Olney, MD
I met a friend today and his breath smells as if a cauldron of bats died in his mouth a month ago. Besides the fact that this may indicate an ongoing health problem, it’s really a punch in the face. What can I do? Anonymously send him some dental floss via UPS? Or just man up and say, hey, it’s taking all my strength to stand within twenty feet of you? He’s a professional so he shouldn’t have issues with affording a dentist. I swear this is a question seriously asked; I’m not looking for cheap yuks. Thanks in advance.

Reactions: 91Joe95
I met a friend today and his breath smells as if a cauldron of bats died in his mouth a month ago. Besides the fact that this may indicate an ongoing health problem, it’s really a punch in the face. What can I do? Anonymously send him some dental floss via UPS? Or just man up and say, hey, it’s taking all my strength to stand within twenty feet of you? He’s a professional so he shouldn’t have issues with affording a dentist. I swear this is a question seriously asked; I’m not looking for cheap yuks. Thanks in advance.

Depends on what kind of friendship you have, I suppose. Any of my closer friends I'd be completely straight with them about it. I would hope they'd do the same with me. If it's more along the lines of acquaintance, I'd likely just keep it to myself if I didn't have to deal with it often. Just consider how you'd want someone to tell you (or not) in the exact same type of relationship if the roles were reversed.

Could definitely be more than just a dental health problem. Tactfully speak with him from a concern for his health standpoint.

"I have something to tell you that might make you angry, but I must tell you this thing because I fear for your health. I want to keep from hurting your feelings or minimize that hurt to the extent possible. I am going to tell you. Would rather I just told you in writing, by telephone, or in person?"

Send him this by text or email. I'm no doc, but advanced dental decay, gingivitis, etc, is a sign of terrible health problems in a lot of cases.

Many years ago I had a female boss whose breath was so bad it smelled like rotting flesh. I firmly believe she had serious issues with her teeth but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I told a friend about this and he suggested buying two packs of Wrigleys Spearmint gum and to offer her one when she came in my office. The first time I offered her a stick of gum she asked, do I have bad breath? I said, yes just a little bit.

Many years ago I had a female boss whose breath was so bad it smelled like rotting flesh. I firmly believe she had serious issues with her teeth but I didn't want to hurt her feelings. I told a friend about this and he suggested buying two packs of Wrigleys Spearmint gum and to offer her one when she came in my office. The first time I offered her a stick of gum she asked, do I have bad breath? I said, yes just a little bit.
ANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD..........?????????????

Interesting question LJ. Today, I stopped for a brew after work at my watering hole. There was a waitress waiting for a drink for the restaurant talking to a couple near the server area of the bar. They knew the young lady and asked her how she was doing. She said "complaining is like bad breath, everyone notices it but you." It was enlightening to me as it relates to complaining so, your message just seems timely.

I like @demlion 's reply except, if it is a truly good friend that you are close to and have a history with, I would use his approach face-to-face right from the get go. Using the health angle is a really good approach.

I sucked on a lot of mints when I was doing Atkins (very successfully). Just wanted to toss that in.

Reactions: LionJim
This could be as simple as that the person has been eating garlic. It does give extremely foul breath, and don't let the cooking shows convince you otherwise.

Reactions: JoeFi
It may not be a dental issue at all. Maybe the person has chronic sinus issues. That can cause crazy bad breath.

Depends on his character and personality. My gut says tell him and make light of it, trying to keep him from feeling embarrassed in the moment. Assuming you’re not the only one he encounters, he’s already been embarrassed and likely already knows. So it’s really how to give feedback on how well he’s moderating the breath problem.

It’s a rare problem we can’t observe in ourselves. Shame it’s embarrassing but someone (or multiple someones) need to step up. Either way you handle it, you’re being a good friend by raising it and caring-tactfully.

How long were you out of work?

Reactions: step.eng69
Eat a breath mint and then politely offer him one. I always accept the offer of a breath mint because I can’t tell whether my breath is offensive or the person is just sharing to be polite.

ANNNNNNNDDDDDDDDDD..........?????????????
The truth is that I was scared and she was embarrassed but not angry (Thank God) which led me to believe she knew there was an issue with her breath. Here's what I don't understand. She had health benefits provided by the state of New Jersey, maybe the best health benefits in the country at the time. Not sure why she didn't address this issue with a doctor.

LionJim: truth is there's no easy way to do this other than giving your friend a mint or a piece of gum.

Last edited:
I met a friend today and his breath smells as if a cauldron of bats died in his mouth a month ago. Besides the fact that this may indicate an ongoing health problem, it’s really a punch in the face. What can I do? Anonymously send him some dental floss via UPS? Or just man up and say, hey, it’s taking all my strength to stand within twenty feet of you? He’s a professional so he shouldn’t have issues with affording a dentist. I swear this is a question seriously asked; I’m not looking for cheap yuks. Thanks in advance.[/QUOT

Call into Howard Stern and tell him, No sh-t this just happened on his show if you happened to be a listener it was hilarious

Just lay it out....my friends told me I was fat (which I knew) and I went on a diet.

Also, I have been around the globe and certain foods leave a lasting impression (big time). When going out for drinks/dinner on business in the eastern hemisphere, I made sure to get a table and not sit at the bar. If I was there first, I even moved chairs another table to make sure the guy sat-across from me and next directly next to me.

Do a Kramer.

giphy.gif

tenor.gif

In this thread you’ve receive guidance only assuming you want your identity known to Mr. Halitosis. What if you LionJim, actually don’t want to be the one to directly tell your friend that his breath is extremely offensive?

Solution(*)

Wait a few more weeks and then send him/her an anonymous letter (I.e. no return address) the old-fashioned way ....via the USPS wherein you advise dear friend that during a recent “social situation” you noticed that his/her breath was very offensive and that you have concerns for (a) the underlying reason for their toxic exhilarations and (b) the possible consequences of same, if unaddressed, this might have on their on their societal and professional stature.

Signed,

Miss Manners

(*) disclaimer...you should purposely try to alter your writing style such that the recipient doesn’t determine that it is you writing the letter.

I met a girl whose breath always smelt like fish, no wait, nevermind
I was checking out two hot girls sitting by themselves at a local bar. Then one noticed me gawking and came over to confront me. She asked me if I wanted to smell her friends “kitty cat”. I said sure! She then proceeded to blow her breath in my face.... LOL

It’s an old joke, not a real story.

In this thread you’ve receive guidance only assuming you want your identity known to Mr. Halitosis. What if you LionJim, actually don’t want to be the one to directly tell your friend that his breath is extremely offensive?

Solution(*)

Wait a few more weeks and then send him/her an anonymous letter (I.e. no return address) the old-fashioned way ....via the USPS wherein you advise dear friend that during a recent “social situation” you noticed that his/her breath was very offensive and that you have concerns for (a) the underlying reason for their toxic exhilarations and (b) the possible consequences of same, if unaddressed, this might have on their on their societal and professional stature.

Signed,

Miss Manners

(*) disclaimer...you should purposely try to alter your writing style such that the recipient doesn’t determine that it is you writing the letter.

I actually think this idea is awful. Instead of him now potentially feeling awkward around LionJim, he will feel awkward around every single person he's had contact with, wondering if that's the one who thinks his breath is so atrocious they sent him an anonymous letter.

Reactions: step.eng69
I actually think this idea is awful. Instead of him now potentially feeling awkward around LionJim, he will feel awkward around every single person he's had contact with, wondering if that's the one who thinks his breath is so atrocious they sent him an anonymous letter.
He should have thought about that before he met LJ. This isn’t about the other party’s self-esteem, it’s more about the other party not continuing to offend others with their sub-human hygiene.

Last edited:
He should have thought about that before he met LJ. This isn’t about the other party’s self-esteem, it’s more about the other party not continuing to offend others with their sub-human hygiene.
I kinda got the idea it was not so much about stopping the guy from offending everyone, and more about what sort of hideous medical condition might be escaping the guy's notice, but I am sure LJ knows.

Harmful mouth bacteria is the cause of most bad breath problems. Mints, gun, binanca does absolutely nothing. A person must floss each day to remove bacteria between their teeth, and rinse with some hydrogen peroxide and warm water. If his/her teeth are crooked, the bacteria is extremely difficult to get rid of since it can not be completely removed by flossing.

I've read that a side effect of the keto diet is bad breath. Subtly start a conversation about keto. Maybe he's trying it. OTOH if he's a fat f%@#, that probably isn't the reason. Maybe his breath smells like Doritos.

Don't close talk. Try to maintain across-the-room conversations or limit it to phone and texts.

I've read that a side effect of the keto diet is bad breath. Subtly start a conversation about keto. Maybe he's trying it. OTOH if he's a fat f%@#, that probably isn't the reason. Maybe his breath smells like Doritos.

What a gross thread. Maybe an anonymous note is the best way to put the person on notice. A lot of people are too thick to get the breath mint hint.

This can be a mouth problem or a stomach problem.

As people get older, they get bigger gaps between their teeth, and just ONE little chunk of decomposing chicken or fruit or a bit of popcorn is all it takes. You sleep with that overnight, the little bacteria do their thing and you wake up in the morning and your breath is ... well you shouldn't come within 500 feet of another person. Even if you floss several times a day, all it takes is to miss something for a few hours and your breath is not fit for public consumption.

People can be unaware of this -- the dentist will point it out, but a lot of people don't do regular dental visits.

The other cause is reflux, which tends to happen when people get to be 20-40 pounds overweight.

Reflux means your stomach contents are getting pushed up past the pyloric valve into your esophagus. In many people this causes heartburn so they know something's wrong. But some people don't feel pain. Or they take long-term antacids so they don't get a burning sensation -- but the reflux is still happening.

Anyway, those stomach contents will sit there in your esophagus and the bacteria do their thing and it smells awful.

The reason it smells like s--- is because these are the same type of bacteria that live in your gut and help decompose your food. They produce methane and when they die, they BECOME poop.

Diet is part of this. A very sugary or starchy diet or drinking a lot of soda will increase the volume of bacteria in your mouth and esophagus and make you smell worse.

The Keto diet can make your breath a little funky. It can definitely make your pee smell weird a little like eating asparagus (it's the smell of ketone byproducts). But that isn't the breath that is going to cause people to stampede out of meetings to get away from you. Breath THAT had is from decomposing food in your mouth or esophagus.

Tell him, definitely. There's a product called Smartmouth 24 hour fresh breath that works like a charm. Rinse with it twice a day focus on the back of the throat. Sometimes it could be as simple as post nasal drip as corpuscles can form on the back of the throat which have a rotting smell. Gargle in the back of the throat for 20-30 seconds with that rinse and poof! No bad breath.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT