ADVERTISEMENT

OSU potentially returning only 6 starters next year....

How do you know Franklin recruits that way? His first class are redshirt freshman and won't be eligible to leave early until after next year. Did hackenburg graduate?

Well, NONE of us really know what they actually tell recruits. But he has stated that "is" his approach to the PSU way. He "believes" you can have the NFL "early" and still earn the "just in case degree". Time will tell if he does not deliver on that. The history has been that very view leave PSU early without the degree. Hack will have his degree this spring. Johnson has his degree.
One of the BIG selling points for a PSU degree is the massive alumni and the supports it provides to its graduates.

Well, NONE of us really know what they actually tell recruits. But he has stated that "is" his approach to the PSU way. He "believes" you can have the NFL "early" and still earn the "just in case degree". Time will tell if he does not deliver on that. The history has been that very view leave PSU early without the degree. Hack will have his degree this spring. Johnson has his degree.
One of the BIG selling points for a PSU degree is the massive alumni and the supports it provides to its graduates.
Honest question dawgduice. Does CH leave school immediately to go somewhere and prepare for the combine or does he do it at the school? Does he take classes this semester to get his degree this spring or does he basically have all the classes done already? How does that usually work.

FWIW.....
He does lay out schedules with the recruits, that if followed set them up to graduate in 3 years (including, of course, summer sessions) or, at worst, to finish by the end of their 4th Fall Semester (idea being that if a kid is NFL bound, he is done with the degree before the combines, work outs, etc start).

Finishing in 3 - even with summer sessions - is tough. 3 + 4th Fall (with summer sessions) should be relatively easy if a kid applies himself.

Now, all that stuff is easier said than done, but that is part of the approach with recruits.

Honest question dawgduice. Does CH leave school immediately to go somewhere and prepare for the combine or does he do it at the school? Does he take classes this semester to get his degree this spring or does he basically have all the classes done already? How does that usually work.
Kids who enter the draft are gone. With what the NFL now expects, it is virtually impossible for a kid to stay in school for the spring.

Best case scenario would be a couple "on-line" classes if that is all a kid needs to finish up.

Reactions: Westcoast24
FWIW.....
He does lay out schedules with the recruits, that if followed set them up to graduate in 3 years (including, of course, summer sessions) or, at worst, to finish by the end of their 4th Fall Semester (idea being that if a kid is NFL bound, he is done with the degree before the combines, work outs, etc start).

Finishing in 3 - even with summer sessions - is tough. 3 + 4th Fall (with summer sessions) should be relatively easy if a kid applies himself.

Now, all that stuff is easier said than done, but that is part of the approach with recruits.
That answers my question to dawgduice. So CH would most likely be done with classes now so he could graduate in the spring?

Kids who enter the draft are gone. With what the NFL now expects, it is virtually impossible for a kid to stay in school for the spring.

Best case scenario would be a couple "on-line" classes if that is all a kid needs to finish up.
I see. Makes sense

It is hard to earn a degree in 3 years, particularly one of substance. At football factories like OSU, many of these kids only planned to stay for 3 years. Their major is "pre-NFL". OSU has at least 7 kids with remaining eligibility who are leaving. Most, if not all, will be 1st or 2nd round draft picks. Many experts have one of them being the #1 pick overall (Bosa). To them college has been a huge success. Now it's time to move on.

I don't know about "college" being a huge success for them. Certainly as a "vocational" school it has been. Hence THE problem. I do NOT blame OSU nor the kids. The NCAA/NFL system is the criminal here. College??? really???
As for Bosa?? You think if the NFL had minor league like major league baseball he goes to any "college" for his vocational training ????
Not the kid's fault - where else could he go? The NBA forced kids to go to college for a year?? Why is that?
None of the major colleges really are doing the right thing. Some "seem" to be making a bit more of an effort, that is all.
PSU appears to be one of those.

I see. Makes sense
I would be VERY surprised if Hackenberg graduates before leaving.

He didn't enroll early - like a lot of kids do now.....and he didn't even come in for the first summer session his freshman year.....so he had almost ZERO head-start.

He's had 2 1/2 years, plus 2 summers.

I would be surprised, though I couldn't say for sure, if he would even have been able to graduate at the end of this upcoming Spring (again, can't say for sure)

Last edited:
Reactions: Westcoast24
I don't know about "college" being a huge success for them. Certainly as a "vocational" school it has been. Hence THE problem. I do NOT blame OSU nor the kids. The NCAA/NFL system is the criminal here. College??? really???
As for Bosa?? You think if the NFL had minor league like major league baseball he goes to any "college" for his vocational training ????
Not the kid's fault - where else could he go? The NBA forced kids to go to college for a year?? Why is that?
None of the major colleges really are doing the right thing. Some "seem" to be making a bit more of an effort, that is all.
Someone needs to cue up the Cardale dissertation. :)

LOL. Ok....

It's kind of true. PSU does have an education first culture. They truly believe athletes are human beings. I've know a great many OSU fans/grads and not a one thinks athletes (FB and BB) are more than grunts. Those same fans feel we just "think" PSU kids can read and wright. Oh well :)

Last edited:
How many players with 1st or 2nd round draft grades stick around PSU for their senior years? This is a function of OSU having so much NFL ready talent. With Franklin recruiting at a similar level as OSU it will be interesting to see moving forward how many players leave early vs. graduating.

Reactions: kybuckeye2
How many players with 1st or 2nd round draft grades stick around PSU for their senior years? This is a function of OSU having so much NFL ready talent. With Franklin recruiting at a similar level as OSU it will be interesting to see moving forward how many players leave early vs. graduating.
1st and 2nd round?

LMAO.....did the NFL set up a special draft for only OSU players?

Cardale Jones?

Jalin Marshall?

Tyvus Powell?

Eli Apple?

How about a deal.......every spot any of those guys goes BEFORE the end of the 2nd round, I pay you $1,000.

Every spot they go past the end of the 2nd round, you pay me $1,000

Deal?

Reactions: Judge Smails
Several posts on this thread made comments about OSU players not getting a degree. OSU currently ranks third in the conference and in the top 25% among FBS programs in NCAA Graduation rates.so players do graduate.

As far as OSU being a football factory. The answer would be yes. Most of the players recruited to the top perennial programs have the ambition of playing in the NFL. If you are able to be drafted in the first two rounds, with little opportunity of moving up significantly if you stay another year, why take the injury risk? It makes good business sense.

What's wrong with that?

Most amazing....it appears their entire wide receiver depth chart has 1 career catch.

Three on offense:
QB - JT Barrett
OG/C - Pat Elflein
OG - Billy Price
Three on defense
DE - Tyquan Lewis
LB - Raekwon McMillian
CB - Gareon Conley
There are still 3 undecided underclassmen starters, but all of them are favored to declare for the draft:

WR - Michael Thomas
HB/WR - Jalin Marshall
S - Vonn Bell

Wide receiver depth chart:

Wide Receiver
Noah Brown rSO Brown left the spring as a starter and all expectations are that he will get back to where he was following a broken leg in 2015. 1 catch for 9 yards in 2014.

Torrance Gibson rFR Gibson is working at quarterback on his own, but Ohio State considers him a wide receiver, and he knows that is what is going to get him on the field next year.

James Clark rJr Clark has battled injuries in his career, but did see action in 2015. He does not yet have a reception as a Buckeye.

Wide Receiver
Parris Campbell rFR OR Campbell already started a handful of games this past season even though he didn't have any touches. That obviously needs to change in 2016.

K.J. Hill
rFR Urban Meyer stated on a number of occasions that Hill was close to seeing the field, but they didn't ever pull the trigger on his redshirt. Hill is a complete receiver who is expected to show that in the spring.

Alex Stump rFR Stump is a tall receiver who redshirted as a true freshman. He has good speed and according to Zach Smith he has ability after the catch as well.

Wide Receiver
Terry McLaurin
rSO OR McLaurin played a little in 2015 but never had a touch. We was an important piece of the coverage units, however. More will be expected of him in 2016.

Austin Mack
FR Mack is enrolling early and will participate in spring football. He is 6-foot-2 and strong. It would still be a bit much to expect him to win a starting job.

Johnnie Dixon rSO Dixon has dealt with injuries throughout his time at Ohio State and needs to get fully healthy before he can be counted on to contribute.
I wonder if those health conditions will flare up here soon?

I don't see it as angst, just kind of WRONG for these kids to not have a plan B. And sad, would love to know how many have success if NOT for football. Actually, I wonder how many Div 1 kids would even go to college if there were a true NFL minor league like Baseball has?
And you know they don't have a plan B? How much time have you spent with the Buckeyes leaving for the draft? Have you attended some "Real Life Wednesdays" with the team to see how engaged these particular individuals are?
Again, you know Ohio State is not making an effort, how? Because guys are leaving for big paydays? College is certainly a success for some of them as evidence by...
Someone needs to cue up the Cardale dissertation. :)
Make all the jokes you want. Cardale will have his degree or be very, very close to it when he gets drafted. For someone with his background, that probably doesn't happen without football.
1st and 2nd round?

LMAO.....did the NFL set up a special draft for only OSU players?

Cardale Jones?

Jalin Marshall?

Tyvus Powell?

Eli Apple?

How about a deal.......every spot any of those guys goes BEFORE the end of the 2nd round, I pay you $1,000.

Every spot they go past the end of the 2nd round, you pay me $1,000

Deal?
Cardale and Tyvis will have their degrees, they're not going to improve their draft stock next yer. Why shouldn't they go get paid?

Jalin is a stretch. I think he could definitely benefit from returning and he's not a 1st or 2nd round guy. However, the median income for a college graduate is $45,000. If Jalin makes an active roster he'll be making $405,000 (NFL minimum salary in 2015). If he spends a season on the practice squad, he'll make $112,000. Plus any signing bonus he may or may not get depending on where he's drafted. If football doesn't work out, he can come back and finish his degree. Again, see Lattimore, Marcus.

Eli could sneak into the 2nd round, depending on how his workouts go. I think he's probably a 3rd round guy, and could probably benefit from another season, but see what I just said about Jalin.
I wonder if those health conditions will flare up here soon?
You can only hope. ;)

Don't want to argue this point, but for the most part PSU is different. Most of the kids that leave "early" have their degrees. Actually, Franklin recruits that way. If you are good enough leave PSU after your Junior year WITH your degree. Certainly that does not work for all.
I am not knocking OSU, they do not break any NCAA rules. It's just that the value system is different.
The "problem" is really the professional leagues - NFL and NBA. They have created the factories as feeder schools. I do not blame any of these kids. Many should NOT be in college.
Complete BS. He recruits the same kids as everyone else. Same under Paterno. The difference is Penn State has a far better academic support system for players. Franklin did say his goals are for all players to graduate in 3.5 years which is a realistic goal. That way the can start grad classes their 5th year or be done if they bypass their 5th year. It unrealistic to have them graduate in 2.5 like Hackenberg would have needed.

It realistic when you consider they are on scholarship starting the summer prior to their freshmen season and in the summers.

6 credit prior to freshmen Year
12 fall and 15 spring freshmen year
12 summer
12 fall and 15 spring sophomore year
12 summer
12 fall and 15 spring junior year
12 summer
12 fall of senior year

That is a total of 135 credits.

Why are you here?

Trying to "out-douche" Buckeye Fan Boys?
He's here because his "hated rival" (tm) is being attacked. In the next round of conference realignment, Michigan and Ohio State will break off and play each other 12 times a year.

The irony is that their new television network will replay their games against each other less than the BTN does.

One thing that many of you may not be aware of. OSU offers low cost or free education for previous scholarship athletes to return to school and get their degree.

So, just because these guys may leave without their degree, that does not mean that OSU is done with them. OSU takes care of them after their sports career is over.

Several posts on this thread made comments about OSU players not getting a degree. OSU currently ranks third in the conference and in the top 25% among FBS programs in NCAA Graduation rates.so players do graduate.

As far as OSU being a football factory. The answer would be yes. Most of the players recruited to the top perennial programs have the ambition of playing in the NFL. If you are able to be drafted in the first two rounds, with little opportunity of moving up significantly if you stay another year, why take the injury risk? It makes good business sense.

What's wrong with that?
When we lose 4 in row, we like to discuss other school's academic shortcomings. When we win, not so much.

I'm convinced that Franklin will try to emulate Joe's "Success with Honor" as much as possible. For the majority of college football players, that IMO is the best possible approach, hands down. I'm also convinced that if the program sees a huge rebound to the on-field glory days and he's able to recruit the five and high four star kids that the "football factories" are getting now (and in the same numbers), we will start to see more and more PSU football players leaving early, even (gasp!) without a degree.

And I have no problem with that. The bottom line purpose of going to college is to prepare for a job/career that doesn't include working the drive-thru or day labor. The analogy I've used before still holds true: if a kid goes to MIT, Harvard, Cal Tech, etc. and is offered a big ol' six-figure salary at a tech or Wall Street giant after his sophomore year, would you encourage him/her to stay in school? That would be ridiculous!

If a football player is relatively certain to make an NFL team, he by all means should take advantage of the opportunity when it arises. As Chaz Powell proved recently, it makes sense to follow your dream first and, if it doesn't work out, return to college afterward. If something happens during a fourth/fifth year that ends a football career before it has begun, that's a bell that can't be un-rung.

One thing that many of you may not be aware of. OSU offers low cost or free education for previous scholarship athletes to return to school and get their degree.

So, just because these guys may leave without their degree, that does not mean that OSU is done with them. OSU takes care of them after their sports career is over.

That is a good policy for the school to maintain. Should be required of all schools offering athletic scholarships. Question ... how many of the former athletes are smart enough to take advantage of this benefit?

Reactions: kgilbert78
When we lose 4 in row, we like to discuss other school's academic shortcomings. When we win, not so much.

I agree. It gets old that people want to use excuses and belittle other programs because of their academics or the kids that they recruit. I think it is refreshing to remember that most of these kids would not get the opportunity to get an education without football. If it is at a football factory so be it. Why can't we be a football factory and enjoy academics? We don't need to bring up academics every time we talk about OSU. Just comes off as sour grapes.

Reactions: kgilbert78
Not a chance. PSU is different than every other program. We value education and Success With Honor over wins. That's what Joe and Rip taught us. Our kids are a cut above kids that other schools get or they simply don't last here very long if they don't buy in to the mindset.

Nonsense. That changed, for Joe at least, once players were allowed to leave after 3 years for the NFL. He encouraged players to go pro *if* they were ready. He also encouraged them to come back and finish school later. Lavar was one example. There are a number of other cases. Yes, we do value education. But Joe was also a realist.

The big difference these days is that players are leaving before they are ready or are players that really are marginal NFL prospects. In the case of tOSU, they may have 10 guys, plus or minus, that will leave school early. I'll bet you right now that a couple of them will get no more than a cup of coffee in the league. Which ones? Got me--if I knew, I'd be an NFL GM (and those guys often get it wrong too). But those are the odds. (And the same is true for our kids leaving early--there just aren't as many of them at this time as we don't have that many upperclassmen).

Here's an old quote for you:

"Anybody who says this exodus of undergraduates is going to ruin college football is perhaps naive. If our game depends on young men's sacrificing better opportunities, it deserves to go down the drain."

That was Joe Paterno in 1990.

The rest of his column may be found here.

It's kind of true. PSU does have an education first culture. They truly believe athletes are human beings. I've know a great many OSU fans/grads and not a one thinks athletes (FB and BB) are more than grunts. Those same fans feel we just "think" PSU kids can read and wright. Oh well :)

You do not know very many tOSU fans then....

Football Factory

exactly - this team is loaded with talent depth from a few years of great recruiting. Urban builds around a mobile QB who can pass just well enough. he has one in JT who has been a Heisman contender. he still has a nice inventory of stars over there. he gets UMich at home and will seek to impose a statement on them. Harbaugh does not have a QB, and was kinda lucky to get an experienced QB transfer to some unique grad program that UM has but Iowa does not. I expect it to be OSU-UM battle for division, as Sparty is going to be gutted. this assumes a bunch of UM players take their 5th year. OSU still has far more raw talent on the field than UM.

exactly - this team is loaded with talent depth from a few years of great recruiting. Urban builds around a mobile QB who can pass just well enough. he has one in JT who has been a Heisman contender. he still has a nice inventory of stars over there. he gets UMich at home and will seek to impose a statement on them. Harbaugh does not have a QB, and was kinda lucky to get an experienced QB transfer to some unique grad program that UM has but Iowa does not. I expect it to be OSU-UM battle for division, as Sparty is going to be gutted. this assumes a bunch of UM players take their 5th year. OSU still has far more raw talent on the field than UM.
John O'Korn transferred after his sophomore season from Houston, where he started as a true freshman. All reports we heard from the beginning of the season was that he was by far the best QB on our roster. I expect he will be an upgrade for us next season.

John O'Korn transferred after his sophomore season from Houston, where he started as a true freshman. All reports we heard from the beginning of the season was that he was by far the best QB on our roster. I expect he will be an upgrade for us next season.
Thanks so much for filling everyone in.

Appreciate your efforts.

Not sure how this thread became a mess, but that it did.

FWIW, 18 members of the PSU football team in the TaxSlayer bowl had received degrees. 13 of them graduated in December. 5 of them had previously graduated and were pursuing graduate degrees.

PSU has had 2 underclassmen declare for this year's NFL draft: Hack and Austin Johnson. I don't believe Hack has graduated. Austin Johnson graduated on Dec. 19th.

Here's Johnson before the graduation ceremonies:

11568202.jpeg

Reactions: ChiTownLion
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT