ADVERTISEMENT

OMG, what an ending to the Vikings - Saints playoff game *

Don't bother lying. You know you're still drunk with glee after the Eagles game.

lol. I suspect the Eagles fan that married you (what was she thinking?) is rather happy with the results of yesterday's game.

wow.........what was phillips thinking . Just tackle him. On the other hand does the thug from maryland realize that no one tried to tackle him and all he did was run for 40 yds. Great play but to stand above everyone else with your arms folded for 5 minutes is almost comical.

And that's why I have no interest in the NFL anymore. Most of the players portray themselves as jackasses with no maturity and no discipline. Most look like street thugs with tattoos, jewelry, and long hair all designed to say "look at me." The games are almost nauseating. Tackling is attempting to run into a guy, and if he happens to go down, we get chest pumps.

I'm originally from Pittsburgh. When I was a kid I listened to games on the radio when not televised. I watched the Steelers when they had gold bars on the shoulders of their jerseys. I remember where I was during the Immaculate Reception. Franco has shown why we were once fans.

Today I got caught up on paperwork and laundry.

Sadly, college football appears heading in the same direction.

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Why are Mauti and Hodges overachievers?
Not the most athletic. Mauti overcoming all his stomach problems and both still in the NFL while not starters. Could probably come up with several more reasons but hope this does it for you.

lol. I suspect the Eagles fan that married you (what was she thinking?) is rather happy with the results of yesterday's game.

Sherri refused to watch the 4th quarter. She's unbearably wussy when it comes to sports drama. She'd rather read the outcome on Twitter than live the experience.

I like to think that it's because I provide her with enough excitement in her life.

Reactions: LionJim and N&B4PSU
Not the most athletic. Mauti overcoming all his stomach problems and both still in the NFL while not starters. Could probably come up with several more reasons but hope this does it for you.
Thanks. You're awesome. Too bad they won't get a chance at that unathletic overachieving Tom Brady

Last edited:
Sherri refused to watch the 4th quarter. She's unbearably wussy when it comes to sports drama. She'd rather read the outcome on Twitter than live the experience.

good grief. I've never understood fans like that. Some in my extended family turn the game off if things aren't going well ... something I never do if one of my teams are playing.

I like to think that it's because I provide her with enough excitement in her life.

lol. you do have a wicked sense of humor, so perhaps you do provide her with some amusement. I'm hesitant to give you any more credit. ;)

what pathetic tacking.....
-0cfac8387d878025.JPG

Reactions: john4psu
Not buying any of that "trying to avoid interference" hogwash.
Safety was going for the kill shot and totally flippin' wiffed. Wiped out #20, who still could have made a tackle inbounds to win the game.
Incredibly bad fundamentals we unfortunately see at times in the PSU secondary. This clip will be shown by secondary coaches for the next 20 years.

Have seen that replay half a dozen times, and each time I expect the DB to wrap him and keep him in bounds. Amazing. For all the theories above - the dude out his head down and missed plain and simple. Was looking for the big hit and made the biggest boneheaded play of his life. Welcome to the all time/top ten reels, sir. You have just been immortalized.

I’d check the defender’s bank account, it almost looked like he was throwing a block on his teammate instead of trying to make a tackle!

Lucky for the Minny receiver as he caught the ball and got into the clear that he didn’t step out-of-bounds.....how crazy would that ending have been?
Are you suggesting the fix was in? You are not alone on that thought.

Have seen that replay half a dozen times, and each time I expect the DB to wrap him and keep him in bounds. Amazing. For all the theories above - the dude out his head down and missed plain and simple. Was looking for the big hit and made the biggest boneheaded play of his life. Welcome to the all time/top ten reels, sir. You have just been immortalized.

Some people will do anything to get on SportCenter’s Top Ten POTD!

Reactions: Nitwit97
Are you suggesting the fix was in? You are not alone on that thought.

If you are looking at a fixed game look at the 2009 game between the Vikings and Saints. Heck you could look at tonight's game when Thomas took out Sendejo with a blind side crack back shot (with the refs conveniently picking up the flag). I believe JuJu was ejected earlier this year for the same play.

Classic example of it being more important to light somebody up instead of just making the fundamental play. Hell, he could have made a play on the ball and knocked it away instead of whatever that was that he did. He led with his head instead of just wrapping up. Leading with the head is what put Shazier in the hospital and this time, it cost the Saints a playoff game. That DB should not even be allowed on the plane back to New Orleans.

As much as I despise Diggs, think about it this way. He nearly slipped and he had gone down, he likely getys touched and game over. Instead he continues, but if anybody tackles him, game over. He can't be sure where everyone is and he has no start-up speed advantage over anybody headed that way at full speed.

He doesn't score, they lose. He steps OOB after catch, it's a FG shot.

Pretty amazing sequence.

That Dback looks like the guy Saquon vaulted against Iowa. Head down. Poor form. Actually abysmal.

what pathetic tacking.....
-0cfac8387d878025.JPG

Everybody goes for the big hit, the highlight hit to be shown on ESPN. Nobody wraps up with two arms like Jack Ham used to do. I remember Troy Polamalu banging into a receiver only to have that receiver bounce away for a long gain.

This is how it's supposed to be done:

It was an amazing play in general but I think Diggs was kinda overhyping himself with his lengthy look-at-me reaction. An average NFL WR gets a TD on that play 9 times out of 10. He caught the ball (and it didn't take a great effort to make the catch), came down and kept his balance and ran to the endzone with nobody close to him.

The Saints DB that whiffed on the hit also knocked down another Saints DB that might have had a chance at tackling Diggs. The "Wow" factor of the play came from the bad Saints defense, not from an amazing Vikings offense.

ETA: I don't think it's close to the same category as the Immaculate Reception. In addition to the craziness of the carom on that play, the play only happens if Harris is following the ball downfield, which most RBs won't be doing in that situation. The hidden gem part of the Immaculate Reception is that it happened only because a player was hustling in a situation where he knew that 999 times out of 1,000 the hustle would be pointless but he hustled anyway.

Actually if the Saints defender had pushed him out then the Vikings would have been in FG range. Whiffing and hitting his own guy was the worst possible outcome.

If I were the Saints I would have rushed nobody and possibly told my DBs to tackle the Vikings WRs right at the line of scrimmage. Take a 5 yard holding penalty and force an untimed down from 60 yards away.
It's a clever strategy, but the NFL made a rule change to discourage that. Multiple intentional fouls at end of game results in a 15 yard penalty and time put back on clock.http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/07/2017-nfl-rule-changes-manipulating-clock-penalties-ravens-49ers

Reactions: Obliviax
As much as I despise Diggs, think about it this way. He nearly slipped and he had gone down, he likely getys touched and game over. Instead he continues, but if anybody tackles him, game over. He can't be sure where everyone is and he has no start-up speed advantage over anybody headed that way at full speed.

He doesn't score, they lose. He steps OOB after catch, it's a FG shot.

Pretty amazing sequence.
Agree....you can almost see him say "what?!!". He hesitates and I believe that is him thinking about running OOB but then realizes there is nobody there to catch him. Really great decision making at that point in the game.

Living here in Minneapolis for the last 21 years (from Lancaster, PA) and being a converted Vikings fan, I can't recall a more unexpected and thrilling finish in my 52 years....Wife is heading to Philadelphia for the game next weekend and will be in a suite with her company (Lancaster-based) entertaining MN customers. VERY jealous!!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT