ADVERTISEMENT

OL coaching candidates from NFL?

Evan Ceg

Mar 1, 2003
Leesburg, VA
These OL coaches have strong CFB experience and are now looking for jobs due to their NFL head coach being fired.

Jeff Stoutland -- Eagles. Formerly Alabama (Saban), Miami, Michigan State and Syracuse.
Ron Prince - Detroit Lions (will Jim Caldwell survive GM change?) -- former head coach for UVa and Kansas State, hired Franklin and Rahne at KSU.
Jack Bicknell Jr. -- Dolphins, and formerly Steelers. Coached at Louisiana Tech (HC), UNH and BC.
Bob Bostad -- Titans. Coached at Wisconsin.
Eric Wolford -- 49ers. Former Youngstown State HC. Previously at South Carolina and Illinois.

Just throwing some names on the water, not implying that Franklin is interested in any of these guys or that any of these coaches would want to come to Penn State.

I presume Moorhead will have some say in the final selection of Herb Hand's replacement.

Reactions: Doc-M
These OL coaches have strong CFB experience and are now looking for jobs due to their NFL head coach being fired.

Jeff Stoutland -- Eagles. Formerly Alabama (Saban), Miami, Michigan State and Syracuse.
Ron Prince - Detroit Lions (will Jim Caldwell survive GM change?) -- former head coach for UVa and Kansas State, hired Franklin and Rahne at KSU.
Jack Bicknell Jr. -- Dolphins, and formerly Steelers. Coached at Louisiana Tech (HC), UNH and BC.
Bob Bostad -- Titans. Coached at Wisconsin.
Eric Wolford -- 49ers. Former Youngstown State HC. Previously at South Carolina and Illinois.

Just throwing some names on the water, not implying that Franklin is interested in any of these guys or that any of these coaches would want to come to Penn State.

I presume Moorhead will have some say in the final selection of Herb Hand's replacement.
Word has it that some influential people are demanding a big name hire!!!

Word has it that some influential people are demanding a big name hire!!!

If we want a big name hire, there is none bigger than future hall of famer (high school, college, and the NFL) Pat Narduzzi. It would be a big promotion for him to become the PSU OL coach. Maybe the thing that the PSU OL has been missing is a raving lunatic who can teach them how to dance before the 4th quarter?

I doubt that CJF is looking for advice from us, "influential people", or from administrators in finding an OL coach. CJF has said on many occasions that he keeps and regularly updates a list of coaches that are his top potential picks to replace members of his staff in the event that one of his assistants leave. Babble coming from "influential people" or other is just that, babble.

I doubt that CJF is looking for advice from us, "influential people", or from administrators in finding an OL coach. CJF has said on many occasions that he keeps and regularly updates a list of coaches that are his top potential picks to replace members of his staff in the event that one of his assistants leave. Babble coming from "influential people" or other is just that, babble.
Exactly. I wish I had the time to waste looking at potential coaching candidates when there is a HC in place and that is his job. It is funny how all the experts who posted their idea on who should be the OC and no one had Moorhead. Just chill and go buy a lottery ticket.

Reactions: LaJolla Lion
Exactly. I wish I had the time to waste looking at potential coaching candidates when there is a HC in place and that is his job. It is funny how all the experts who posted their idea on who should be the OC and no one had Moorhead. Just chill and go buy a lottery ticket.
True that....but I'll chime in with one thought anyway :)

Ron Prince is a guy I always thought was top shelf as an OL coach

He got the HC shot at KSU....and it didn't go well. But I always thought he was a guy worth considering - even if it required bringing him in as an OC/OL guy (which, obviously wouldn't be the case now). I do believe when he was at UVA he was OC in addition to handling the OL.

I can't imagine him wanting to (or having to) accept a "position coach" job at the NCAA level....and if he did, it would probably be very temporary....and I suppose for those reasons he is not a realistic candidate - but maybe worth a conversation to find out for sure.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT