ADVERTISEMENT

OK, so my hiatus was maybe the shortest in board history....

CF LION

May 29, 2001
I knew when I said I was done, that I was out.... that I would come back.

Someone here PM'd me, had some wise words for me and also made me realize that I would miss not using this board as an outlet for expression every now and then. Plus, this board is kind of my source for everything -- sports/news/music/movies/DIY/cars/relationships...etc. Not to mention the occaisonal reminder of how cool women are (was that sexist?). And for some reason I've told my life story here and for those that care I'd like to keep you updated.

I'd just be punishing myself if I stayed away.

About my post: I read the whole thread again and some of you expressed my intent much more clearly than I did. So thanks for that. For those that were critical, I understand why you were. My description of the giver was perhaps over the top but it was done on purpose. So I have one question for everyone who read the post...

What would your image of the giver had been had I not described him or her in any way?

I will add one thing that I wish I would have said in my original post......

We've all seen or know of pay-it-forward gestures....they are common. But from what I've seen it usually occurs when someone can't come up with the cash to pay for something at a Wawa, or there is a mom with several kids in tow at the grocery store who looks like she might be struggling, a guy down on his luck at a fast food restaurant, etc. With the Amazon Prime Now app you can send something to the homeless guy on the corner. In other words the direction of giving is usually towards someone in some sort of need at a particular time. If that's not the case and it happens to all types of people from all types of people indiscriminately then I guess I am a little out of touch.

So when it happened the way it did to me, from someone that I perceived as perhaps of less means than me I was stunned and after I got home felt both humbled and really happy. And it did truly leave an impact on me on a day when I was not really feeling in the holiday spirit.

In the subject line I wrote "So the coolest thing happened to me today...." . It really was.

welcome back! the only thing I was critical of was, Why eat wraps at Jersey mike's!! Around here they have the best rolls available by a large margin!! But you gave an acceptable answer!

Someone here PM'd me, had some wise words for me and also made me realize that I would miss not using this board as an outlet for expression every now and then. Plus, this board is kind of my source for everything -- sports/news/music/movies/DIY/cars/relationships...etc. Not to mention the occaisonal reminder of how cool women are (was that sexist?). And for some reason I've told my life story here and for those that care I'd like to keep you updated.

About my post: I read the whole thread again and some of you expressed my intent much more clearly than I did. So thanks for that. For those that were critical, I understand why you were. My description of the giver was perhaps over the top but it was done on purpose. So I have one question for everyone who read the post...

What would your image of the giver had been had I not described him or her in any way?

We've all seen or know of pay-it-forward gestures....they are common. But from what I've seen it usually occurs when someone can't come up with the cash to pay for something at a Wawa, or there is a mom with several kids in tow at the grocery store who looks like she might be struggling, a guy down on his luck at a fast food restaurant, etc. With the Amazon Prime Now app you can send something to the homeless guy on the corner. In other words the direction of giving is usually towards someone in some sort of need at a particular time. If that's not the case and it happens to all types of people from all types of people indiscriminately then I guess I am a little out of touch.

So when it happened the way it did to me, from someone that I perceived as perhaps of less means than me I was stunned and after I got home felt both humbled and really happy. And it did truly leave an impact on me on a day when I was not really feeling in the holiday spirit.

In the subject line I wrote "So the coolest thing happened to me today...." . It really was.

Better yet, you know at least two people worth putting on ignore! 'Tis the season! :)

welcome back! the only thing I was critical of was, Why eat wraps at Jersey mike's!! Around here they have the best rolls available by a large margin!! But you gave an acceptable answer!

I agree.....Jersey Mike’s? JERSEY Mike’s?

That’s a no-no even if you’re heading to Rutgers for our biggest Rivalry game!

(Welcome back!)

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sharkies
I agree.....Jersey Mike’s? JERSEY Mike’s?

That’s a no-no even if you’re heading to Rutgers for our biggest Rivalry game!

(Welcome back!)

Uh, the one thing Rutgers has that is good are the Fat Sandwiches, but I know this is wasted on a crowd that thinks that Primanti Brothers is so wow.

Reactions: psuro
Uh, the one thing Rutgers has that is good are the Fat Sandwiches, but I know this is wasted on a crowd that thinks that Primanti Brothers is so wow.

Or just go up 27 to Tastee Subs in Edison. THE BEST.
Or White Rose in Highland Park.

You are a valuable member of this Board and I applaud your decision to return. Echoing the sentiments of others, "Welcome Back".

I think your definition of paying it forward is too limiting.
What happened to you is VERY common, at least in the small MI town I live in.
It's good to have you back!

Welcome back. Because of you, the last two days, I have paid for the person behind me in the drive thru lane at Dunkin Donuts here in Round Rock TX. Didn't cost much. About $15 total, but hopefully it put a smile on their face. Certainly did for the teller, and also myself. Thank you for reminding me that little things like this, really do matter. I'm going to try and continue the habit.

Welcome back. Because of you, the last two days, I have paid for the person behind me in the drive thru lane at Dunkin Donuts here in Round Rock TX. Didn't cost much. About $15 total, but hopefully it put a smile on their face. Certainly did for the teller, and also myself. Thank you for reminding me that little things like this, really do matter. I'm going to try and continue the habit.

Well done. And thanks to CF Lion for the inspiration/reminder/thought.

Didn't you also pay for @Chickenman Testa's bar tab during the PSU - ASU wrestling dual on Friday? Glad to see you're in the spirit of the holidays.

Reactions: CentexLion
Well done. And thanks to CF Lion for the inspiration/reminder/thought.

Didn't you also pay for @Chickenman Testa's bar tab during the PSU - ASU wrestling dual on Friday? Glad to see you're in the spirit of the holidays.
Watching PSU wrestling with Chickenman was more than worth the bar/appetizer tab. I came out ahead on that one. Hoping we get more PSU fans to attend the next one. Love to get some Flo guys there as well.

A mildly related question - what exactly does pay it forward mean?

1) Is it where you leave money so the next customer doesn't have to pay?
2) Is it where you leave money with the business so that a poor person could get food from the business with the money you left?

Also, if it is '1' - is the expectation that if you happen to be the next customer, you are expected to do the same? If so, that seems pointless to me.

2) Is it where you leave money with the business so that a poor person could get food from the business with the money you left?

Also, if it is '1' - is the expectation that if you happen to be the next customer, you are expected to do the same? If so, that seems pointless to me.
both, and no, the next person is not expected to follow suit. If they are able to and do, that is great.

Reactions: 1 person

Look at this movie clip and it'll explain what it is supposed to mean.

CF: Misread the thread title the first time through. Misread "hiatus" as "coitus," and was feeling sorry for you. Fortunately, that was short lived as well. :cool:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT