ADVERTISEMENT

Ohtani in Ohtrouble.

1 year with vs lifetime. Not exactly the same. Jordan was never actually exposed. He "retired" for a year or two. Barkley who bet on a 76ers game was fined.

Barkley was so dumb he did not even know it was against the rules. He was doing a sideline interview at halftime of a game and he said the 76ers would win because he had $500 on the game. No big deal since it was not Rose.
different league. different rules. different people.

True but they were both against the rules. You care about one and not the other.

Ps. Ohtani is the same league, same rules.
We’ll see. I’ve got no problem if they kick him out. Investigation is ongoing

SIAP- was he employed by the player or the team (by the rules, would he be a baseball personnel if he worked for the player). Sounds like he’s been with him for a long time.

1 year with vs lifetime. Not exactly the same. Jordan was never actually exposed. He "retired" for a year or two. Barkley who bet on a 76ers game was fined.

Barkley was so dumb he did not even know it was against the rules. He was doing a sideline interview at halftime of a game and he said the 76ers would win because he had $500 on the game. No big deal since it was not Rose.
Barkley was trash-talking Mark Jackson during a game with "I bet you I ..." scenarios. He didn't bet on the 76ers. He was fined $5,000 for that.

At least keep the scenarios roughly comparable.

I "bet" MLB is going to make sure this one goes away and accepts any explanation no matter how far fetched from Ohtani's camp - it's always all about the Benjamins!

Money talks and BS walks.......... it's the old Butler did it! Too much money invested in the best player in MLB.

Ohtani is pretty adamant that this $ was stolen from him without his knowledge. Interesting to see where this lands.

Barkley was trash-talking Mark Jackson during a game with "I bet you I ..." scenarios. He didn't bet on the 76ers. He was fined $5,000 for that.

At least keep the scenarios roughly comparable.

Make whatever excuse you want. Barkley said he bet $500 on the GAME. That was his words. He did bet on the 76ers. He did not bet on the Knicks. He did not get a fine for trash talking.

Make whatever excuse you want. Barkley said he bet $500 on the GAME. That was his words. He did bet on the 76ers. He did not bet on the Knicks. He did not get a fine for trash talking.
Yes, he did get a fine for trash talking. Look it up. It was loud enough for fans to hear, so they got in trouble for the appearance of impropriety. I wasn't a fan of Barkley's when he played ... why would I make excuses for him?

There's a video where Mark Jackson talks about it, and when they were in the Commish's office, and the Commish stepped away, Barkley joked to Jackson, "I bet you they won't throw us out of the league."

Yes, he did get a fine for trash talking. Look it up. It was loud enough for fans to hear, so they got in trouble for the appearance of impropriety. I wasn't a fan of Barkley's when he played ... why would I make excuses for him?

There's a video where Mark Jackson talks about it, and when they were in the Commish's office, and the Commish stepped away, Barkley joked to Jackson, "I bet you they won't throw us out of the league."

Does not change the fact that Barkley bet on the game. He then bet he would not get thrown out of ye league. Jackson even confirmed he was afraid of getting thrown out of the league. They bet.

Pete's not wrong. The whole concept of a lifetime ban is ludicrous, especially considering MLB partners with betting sites.
I don't understand how/why there would be a connection...betting on baseball is wrong for a player/manager/staff, regardless if the team partners with a betting site. If they partner with budweiser, does that mean it should now be ok for umpires to be drunk for the games? (insert obvious Angel Hernandez reference here)

Pete's not wrong. The whole concept of a lifetime ban is ludicrous, especially considering MLB partners with betting sites.
well, the investigation is ongoing. I doubt Ohtani wasn't gambling but he has deniability for now. The Pete Rose issue wasn't settled in a week. So lets give this some time to curate.

I'd also add that betting on baseball, if you are a player, should NEVER be allowed. The Dowd report showed Rose better an hour before the start of his games on other games. Do you think he could have gotten inside information on injuries and who went drinking the night before? Can't have that or even the image of that in the game.

I mean, last night Caitlin Clark took twice as many free throws as the entire WVU basketball team. Fix? You tell me. But if it becomes common for players, coaches and refs to be betting on games, there are going to be a lot of people that quit watching.

I don't understand how/why there would be a connection...betting on baseball is wrong for a player/manager/staff, regardless if the team partners with a betting site. If they partner with budweiser, does that mean it should now be ok for umpires to be drunk for the games? (insert obvious Angel Hernandez reference here)

Do you get a lifetime ban for drinking? How about for doing drugs? Or maybe the amphetamines that used to be rampant in the sport? Each one of those has/had direct and tangible effects on the outcome of the game. Instead you get a lifetime ban for something that may or may not impact the game, and that MLB deems socially acceptable enough to go in business with. Makes perfect sense.

He and his camp first said he was covering the interpreters gambling debts - then I bet the lawyers stepped in and told him that out's you in the chain of the crime and to say the money was stolen. How does an interpreter get access to millions of dollars of someone's money? they aren't a financial consultant with power of attorney. I bet they told him take the fall and we will cover you. That is the only thing that makes sense.

Do you get a lifetime ban for drinking? How about for doing drugs? Or maybe the amphetamines that used to be rampant in the sport? Each one of those has/had direct and tangible effects on the outcome of the game. Instead you get a lifetime ban for something that may or may not impact the game, and that MLB deems socially acceptable enough to go in business with. Makes perfect sense.
there are a lot of players not in the HoF due to their use of performance-enhancing drugs. The challenge with PHD's is that there is a finer and finer line to what is performance-enhancing and what is not. So they just come up with a list. if you can find a PHD not on that list, you are just fine (see the Watt brothers). But betting on the game is a different animal. At least taking PHDs is in persuit of playing better and winning. With betting, you can be playing to win, lose or just change the spread. How cares if you call that last timeout unless someone has bet that you'd use all of your timeouts. Betting really does hurt the integrity of the game, all of the games.

Reactions: johnmpsu
He and his camp first said he was covering the interpreters gambling debts - then I bet the lawyers stepped in and told him that out's you in the chain of the crime and to say the money was stolen. How does an interpreter get access to millions of dollars of someone's money? they aren't a financial consultant with power of attorney. I bet they told him take the fall and we will cover you. That is the only thing that makes sense.
Here is the thing you need to remember though...until the interpreter was fired, everything from "his camp" was flowing through the interpreter (both ways)...the interpreter is translating everything that Ohtani is telling everyone else, and he's also filtering what is being told to Ohtani. It sounds like this guy was way more than just someone that interpreted for Ohtani...he was a close friend and played several roles. If Ohtani can't read English, it makes total sense that the interpreter is helping him with his finances and has access to his accounts/passwords. I'd say there is certainly more than one explanation in all of this that "makes sense"...and "the fall" could involve a lot of jail time depending on where things land, so I certainly wouldn't be making that bet.

Yep, and how does the interpreter get extended a $4.5 million line of illegal gambling credit when there is no possibility of him paying it back.

Reactions: Obliviax
Yep, and how does the interpreter get extended a $4.5 million line of illegal gambling credit when there is no possibility of him paying it back.
more than likely, he was placing bets for Ohtani. But that is pure speculation on my part.

Here is the thing you need to remember though...until the interpreter was fired, everything from "his camp" was flowing through the interpreter (both ways)...the interpreter is translating everything that Ohtani is telling everyone else, and he's also filtering what is being told to Ohtani. It sounds like this guy was way more than just someone that interpreted for Ohtani...he was a close friend and played several roles. If Ohtani can't read English, it makes total sense that the interpreter is helping him with his finances and has access to his accounts/passwords. I'd say there is certainly more than one explanation in all of this that "makes sense"...and "the fall" could involve a lot of jail time depending on where things land, so I certainly wouldn't be making that bet.
So you dont think he knows how to speak and understand english? - i bet he does and uses an interpreter as a way to keep the press away.

there are a lot of players not in the HoF due to their use of performance-enhancing drugs. The challenge with PHD's is that there is a finer and finer line to what is performance-enhancing and what is not. So they just come up with a list. if you can find a PHD not on that list, you are just fine (see the Watt brothers). But betting on the game is a different animal. At least taking PHDs is in persuit of playing better and winning. With betting, you can be playing to win, lose or just change the spread. How cares if you call that last timeout unless someone has bet that you'd use all of your timeouts. Betting really does hurt the integrity of the game, all of the games.

There are also a lot in the hall, and even those not in didn't get lifetime bans. This notion that betting affects the integrity of the game is silly and mere speculation, and yet players get lifetime bans for it? Houston cheated to win a freaking world series. No big deal. Bet on a game though? Whoa buddy. Look out. We have this mythical notion of integrity to protect.

It does make perfect sense. The basis of the value of professional sports, beyond a display of skill or predetermined entertainment, lies solely in the uncertain outcome.

Joe Schmoe fan betting on a game does nothing to take away from that ... it actually increases/keeps interest in the product.

People involved in the outcome of a sporting event betting on those events ... that's a death knell to the sport. So they carry that concept over to any betting on sports, so as to avoid any doubt.

I "bet" MLB is going to make sure this one goes away and accepts any explanation no matter how far fetched from Ohtani's camp - it's always all about the Benjamins!
Does everyone really still think that Ohtani's side of the story is "far fetched"?

The former interpreter for Los Angeles Dodgers superstar Shohei Ohtani is facing federal charges related to his alleged theft of millions from the slugger, a source with direct knowledge of the investigation confirmed to ESPN late Wednesday...

The New York Times was first to report Wednesday that Ippei Mizuhara, 39, is in negotiations to plead guilty and that the investigation is racing toward a conclusion.

ESPN previously reported that Mizuhara is under investigation by the IRS, the Department of Homeland Security and the U.S. Attorney's Office for the Central District of California. Those agencies are also investigating Mathew Bowyer, the bookmaker Mizuhara said he paid, and are involved in a sprawling money laundering and illegal gambling case in Las Vegas.

The Times reported Wednesday that prosecutors have uncovered evidence that Mizuhara may have stolen more money from Ohtani than the $4.5 million initially reported. Mizuhara changed the settings on Ohtani's bank account so Ohtani would not receive alerts or confirmations about transactions, the Times also reported.

I don't conflate from issue to issue. Here is how I look at it:
  • Rose knew the rules
  • Rose broke the rules
  • Rose was punished
  • Rose has nobody to blame but himself.

End of story.

We can now talk about other issues.
That’s not conflating.

True but they were both against the rules. You care about one and not the other.

Ps. Ohtani is the same league, same rules.
Leslie Van Houton was convicted in the Manson murders and given a death sentence. She got paroled last year.

Why don't they have a lifetime b on Budweiser or the betting site?

Looks like the interpreter is going to be charged and Ohtani is off the hook.

Baseball is breathing a sigh of relief their superstar is clean, but the scale of the theft is incredible. The federal complaint indicates $16M.

Reactions: Obliviax
Baseball is breathing a sigh of relief their superstar is clean, but the scale of the theft is incredible. The federal complaint indicates $16M.

Stole $16MM, is considered a flight risk, and only got a $25K bail bond. Hmm, I've seen bigger, much bigger, for no crime.

Something doesn’t smell right here.

How does an interpreter get access to steal millions and millions? Did he also have power of attorney? Wouldn’t Oh have be present at bank/financial institution? Hard to move that kind of money online?

And even if he did it, where was Oh’s attorneys/accountants? Oh had to have people managing his money and especially doing his taxes. Guy couldn’t even speak normal English how could he manage massive financial transactions without professional help.

The smell I smell is coverup.

Last edited:
Reactions: 91Joe95

Baseball swept it under the carpet. They did not want to find anything.

Pete rose should have hired an interpreter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT