ADVERTISEMENT

Ohtani in Ohtrouble.

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
It seems there was a lot of betting going on. When discovered, Ohtani fired his interpreter and it is being blamed on the interpreter stealing Ohtani’s money and betting it himself. Sure Jan.

Thank God the Pirates didn't sign him.
That's funny! As best I can tell, the FBI was looking at an illegal gambling ring and the Dodgers were informed that money was coming from their org. Ohtani was IDed as one of the gamblers. Somehow, when informed, it is said that the interpreter (who has worked with Ohtani for 13 years) was taking Ohtani's money and gambling it. Sot he Dodgers and Ohtani fired him last night.

The speculation is that Ohtani was using the interpreter to gamble his money. That the interpreter is being asked to take the fall. If so, he would probably be taken care of but that is purely speculation on my part.

If the gambling came from Ohtani, baseball may well lose its biggest star. meanwhile, Pete Rose is taking notice to see how MLB handles this.

It has also been reported though that no bets were placed on baseball games. Mostly soccer games.
Yep...not saying that is a lie. But if I was going to try and cover up criminal gambling to save the best player on the planet's career, that is what I'd be saying too. We've seen how these things evolved.

Again, not saying this is truthful or not, but worth watching.

Pete Rose treatment or did he not bet enough money?
Rose bet on baseball IIRC.

From the Dowd Report (Dowd was the prime investigator hired by MLB)

The investigation pulled phone records. There are phone records of Pete Rose calling the people who placed bets for him, or the bookies directly, from his office in the ballpark. Some of those calls happened at 6:40 PM on a day when the game started at 7:05 PM. Rose generally bet about $2,000 per game. If he bet the full slate of games that day, he could easily wager $18,000. Just 25 minutes before the first pitch of the game. He would bet nearly every day also. Let that sink it. He would bet $2,000 on a game he was about to trade lineup cards from the baseball stadium. Daily.​

Rose bet on baseball IIRC.

From the Dowd Report (Dowd was the prime investigator hired by MLB)

The investigation pulled phone records. There are phone records of Pete Rose calling the people who placed bets for him, or the bookies directly, from his office in the ballpark. Some of those calls happened at 6:40 PM on a day when the game started at 7:05 PM. Rose generally bet about $2,000 per game. If he bet the full slate of games that day, he could easily wager $18,000. Just 25 minutes before the first pitch of the game. He would bet nearly every day also. Let that sink it. He would bet $2,000 on a game he was about to trade lineup cards from the baseball stadium. Daily.​
But but but he bet on his team to win--LOL

If he bet on every game, that is one thing, but if he selectively chose which games to place bets on while he was controlling who was playing…
..and regardless, he may have had inside info from friends in the league.

The fact that he was using an illegal bookie through a third party strongly suggests to me that he may well have been betting on baseball.

The fact that he was using an illegal bookie through a third party strongly suggests to me that he may well have been betting on baseball.

Though not proven yet, it sure does smell like they're using the interpreter as a fall guy. I mean, does that even sound plausible, that an interpreter can make such huge bets in the first place, and then pay off the debt by stealing almost $5mm from Ohtani?

Though not proven yet, it sure does smell like they're using the interpreter as a fall guy. I mean, does that even sound plausible, that an interpreter can make such huge bets in the first place, and then pay off the debt by stealing almost $5mm from Ohtani?
Yep. How did an interpreter gain access to millions of dollars of Ohtani's money?

It doesn't pass the smell test.

I think it is highly likely that Ohtani gave money to the interpreter to bet on his behalf.

Reactions: johnmpsu
Goodness, if he really did bet on games, and he makes all that money, he’s truly not the sharpest tool in the shed!

That's funny! As best I can tell, the FBI was looking at an illegal gambling ring and the Dodgers were informed that money was coming from their org. Ohtani was IDed as one of the gamblers. Somehow, when informed, it is said that the interpreter (who has worked with Ohtani for 13 years) was taking Ohtani's money and gambling it. Sot he Dodgers and Ohtani fired him last night.

The speculation is that Ohtani was using the interpreter to gamble his money. That the interpreter is being asked to take the fall. If so, he would probably be taken care of but that is purely speculation on my part.

If the gambling came from Ohtani, baseball may well lose its biggest star. meanwhile, Pete Rose is taking notice to see how MLB handles this.

If the interpreter stole $4.5MM from Ohtani he's in serious legal trouble. The government doesn't need Ohtani's cooperation to prosecute a crime that size. Then it becomes interpreter goes to jail, or Ohtani said it was allowed, in which case he risks his $700MM contract and lifetime ban. Of course with the corruption in the FBI this could go away.

As an aside, if Pete Rose ever hopes to get his ban lifted he needs to start doing a few interviews.

If the interpreter stole $4.5MM from Ohtani he's in serious legal trouble. The government doesn't need Ohtani's cooperation to prosecute a crime that size. Then it becomes interpreter goes to jail, or Ohtani said it was allowed, in which case he risks his $700MM contract and lifetime ban. Of course with the corruption in the FBI this could go away.

As an aside, if Pete Rose ever hopes to get his ban lifted he needs to start doing a few interviews.
I’d say Pete is slightly more credible than the FBI which likely matches the public support of each as well. The main difference is the FBI has political power. Pete has none. Another big difference is Pete gets women. The people running the FBI couldn’t get lucky handing out pardons in a women’s prison… which they probably try.

Reactions: dailybuck777
I’d say Pete is slightly more credible than the FBI which likely matches the public support of each as well. The main difference is the FBI has political power. Pete has none. Another big difference is Pete gets women. The people running the FBI couldn’t get lucky handing out pardons in a women’s prison… which they probably try.
LOL...the problem is that Pete accepted a lifetime ban in a plea bargain deal with Giamatti (who, by the way, is the father of the movie star Paul). Further hurting him is that he spent time in jail for tax evasion (on this, I am completely sympathetic!)

LOL...the problem is that Pete accepted a lifetime ban in a plea bargain deal with Giamatti (who, by the way, is the father of the movie star Paul). Further hurting him is that he spent time in jail for tax evasion (on this, I am completely sympathetic!)
What did telling the truth get rose? He should have kept lying like all the other players who gamble.

Ps. Mlb lied to rose about being reinstated.

What did telling the truth get rose? He should have kept lying like all the other players who gamble.

Ps. Mlb lied to rose about being reinstated.
I believe they told Rose he'd be considered for reinstatement.

And secondly, he illegally gambled or he didn't. That's it. Period.

They lied. They never considered reinstatement and now use the admission as a strike against Rose.

Rose clearly did not accept the lifetime ban as a lifetime ban when MLB was telling him he would be considered for reinstatement.

Reactions: bison13
Right, however it took him too many years to admit it. He doesn't deserve reinstatement. EVER

He never should have admitted anything. He should have lied like all the other players who gamble.

PS. Who was rose betting against? You dont place a wager with just one person.

They lied. They never considered reinstatement and now use the admission as a strike against Rose.

Rose clearly did not accept the lifetime ban as a lifetime ban when MLB was telling him he would be considered for reinstatement.
well he did accept a lifetime ban because that was in the settlement he signed. He was told they would "consider" reinstatement and with Giamatti gone, that is what they did. They considered it.

Rose's mistake was taking a job as manager. MLB knew about the gambling when he was a player and did nothing just like they know about Ohtani. The league is marketing the players so it is in their financial interest to ignore a problem with star players. Ohtani wont take a job as a manager.

Right. A lot of the players illegally gambled. Problem is you dont care about anyone not named Rose. Barkley bet on the NBA. Jordan gambled millions. Ohtani probably bet.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Right. A lot of the players illegally gambled. Problem is you dont care about anyone not named Rose. Barkley bet on the NBA. Jordan gambled millions. Ohtani probably bet.
well, to me, if you broke the rules you don't have an excuse. Rose knew the rules. Jordan was banished to play minor league baseball for a year. So I don't have any sympathy for him. As I said, he also spent time in jail for tax evasion. The guy was a DB and always will be.

well, to me, if you broke the rules you don't have an excuse. Rose knew the rules. Jordan was banished to play minor league baseball for a year. So I don't have any sympathy for him. As I said, he also spent time in jail for tax evasion. The guy was a DB and always will be.
Hey, a recent president (trying to avoid politics here but making a point) admitted in his autobiography that he sold illegal drugs. Which is worse? Half of congress probably evades taxes. Another president and his family have certainly evaded taxes. On the other hand, Rose paid for his mistakes. America is about redemption. I’m not a fan of Pete Rose the person but he was a helluva ball player and certainly no worse a DB than the people who have run baseball for the last 100 years. The current commissioner of baseball makes Louis Freeh look honorable.

1 year with vs lifetime. Not exactly the same. Jordan was never actually exposed. He "retired" for a year or two. Barkley who bet on a 76ers game was fined.

Barkley was so dumb he did not even know it was against the rules. He was doing a sideline interview at halftime of a game and he said the 76ers would win because he had $500 on the game. No big deal since it was not Rose.

Reactions: MacNit2.0
Hey, a recent president (trying to avoid politics here but making a point) admitted in his autobiography that he sold illegal drugs. Which is worse? Half of congress probably evades taxes. Another president and his family have certainly evaded taxes. On the other hand, Rose paid for his mistakes. America is about redemption. I’m not a fan of Pete Rose the person but he was a helluva ball player and certainly no worse a DB than the people who have run baseball for the last 100 years. The current commissioner of baseball makes Louis Freeh look honorable.
I don't conflate from issue to issue. Here is how I look at it:
  • Rose knew the rules
  • Rose broke the rules
  • Rose was punished
  • Rose has nobody to blame but himself.

End of story.

We can now talk about other issues.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT