ADVERTISEMENT

Ohio St's win was pretty flukey

3rd-most yards gained by a tOSU QB against PSU in the history of our matchups....... not too shabby. Imagine if our players didn't drop passes.
On throws most high school QBs can make. You won, now go back to your hole until next season. You better keep practicing because even though you've won 2 straight 1 pointers, you can't really shake us and those results are going to change very soon. And I think deep down, you know it.

Reactions: Scarlet.Buckeye
You lost me at B- game, like the Buckeyes didn't give it their best shot. You played your A+ game and barely survived. I was at the game and you know what I saw at the end? It wasn't a jubilant Bucks team, at least not what I've seen after a hard fought win before. It was a tired group that knew they were lucky to get out of their with their asses still attached. Don't worry, this won't be the last you see of PSU. We'll be back. Our talent is improving by the moment and Franklin is doing more with his players than Urban is doing with his right now.

Lol i love that you think Ohio State played their A+ game. I think you all know how untrue that is. Just like I know that we were lucky as hell to somehow win that game.

Look I'm happy that Penn State is good again I really enjoy our rivalry. I was there in 2016 and felt like my heart was ripped out but that's what makes our last 2 wins so enjoyable. You're not on our level yet but def as close as anyone in the conference. I want to see how you bounce back losing Trace next year, that's the true testament of a strong program. You're 2-8 in your last 10 games vs us, so eventually you'll need to turn all of this mojo into actual wins on the field.

Disclaimer, I love Trace. That kid has heart and grit and is a great athlete. I am not usually the type of fan that can like rival players no matter how likable they are. Once they make plays vs us I curse their name for life, but Mcsorley is a different case. The type of player that you know players want to follow, so easy to root for.

Both teams played really well at times, both teams made some huge mistakes. That's the way it rolls. But it wasn't remotely A+ execution, from anyone.

Okay, if that was your B- game, that was Penn States C- game. Anyone can play this idiotic game. Fact is OSU brought it and barely survived, probably shouldn't have either. Hell, even Urban Meyer thought it was over at 26 - 14.
Yeah, I'm not the one playing that stupid game. Emphasis added above.

Lol i love that you think Ohio State played their A+ game. I think you all know how untrue that is. Just like I know that we were lucky as hell to somehow win that game.

Look I'm happy that Penn State is good again I really enjoy our rivalry. I was there in 2016 and felt like my heart was ripped out but that's what makes our last 2 wins so enjoyable. You're not on our level yet but def as close as anyone in the conference. I want to see how you bounce back losing Trace next year, that's the true testament of a strong program. You're 2-8 in your last 10 games vs us, so eventually you'll need to turn all of this mojo into actual wins on the field.

Disclaimer, I love Trace. That kid has heart and grit and is a great athlete. I am not usually the type of fan that can like rival players no matter how likable they are. Once they make plays vs us I curse their name for life, but Mcsorley is a different case. The type of player that you know players want to follow, so easy to root for.
Losing Trace? Trust me, the PSU QB room is stocked and we have two more 4-star QBs coming in as well. And every year, the supporting cast is better and better and better. You think PSU played their A game as long as we're giving grades? I assure you, they did not either.

Okay, you beat us with our C- game. How stupid can you be?

A QB having a career day is not what I’d call a C- game. PSU played above their ability, which is clear after Appy State and Illinois.

And if you think Haskins was great on Saturday night, maybe you should take up another hobby. He wasn't.

Nobody said he played great. It’s not like he was 5th QB like Barrett was last year. Played very well when looking at the big picture and what was asked of him to win the game in his 1st Road start. If you told me before the game that Haskins would be 22-39 for 270 yards and 3 TD with a pick, I’d have taken it all day long.

Yea well you didn't get nearly our best effort either. I didn't think either team looked especially "polished" Saturday night. There were plenty of drops, missed tackles, head-scratching play-calling to go around. The two teams looked pretty evenly matched to me, given neither was playing their best.

We got your QB’s best effort ever. Never said PSU played their A+ like someone insinuated OSU did. However, PSU played better than they have all year.

Ouch... that's quite the Freudian slip.

Yeah, I don't think he should be talking about "black eyes." Guess the guy doesn't care about spousal abuse as long as OSU gets the W's.

And here comes the butthurt (no pun intended).

Reactions: dailybuck777
A QB having a career day is not what I’d call a C- game. PSU played above their ability, which is clear after Appy State and Illinois.

Nobody said he played great. It’s not like he was 5th QB like Barrett was last year. Played very well when looking at the big picture and what was asked of him to win the game in his 1st Road start. If you told me before the game that Haskins would be 22-39 for 270 yards and 3 TD with a pick, I’d have taken it all day long.

We got your QB’s best effort ever. Never said PSU played their A+ like someone insinuated OSU did. However, PSU played better than they have all year.

He genius, how does someone play "above their ability?" Are you the kind of intellect OSU is producing these days?

Losing Trace? Trust me, the PSU QB room is stocked and we have two more 4-star QBs coming in as well. And every year, the supporting cast is better and better and better. You think PSU played their A game as long as we're giving grades? I assure you, they did not either.

Yes, losing Trace. If you want to be part of the elite club you'll know that there should always be at least 4 star QBs waiting to play, but that doesn't mean they're going to be any good. Logic tells you there will be a dropoff at the QB position for a little while. I'm fully aware Penn State didn't play their A game, but thats on them. They were playing at home against their biggest rival with a senior QB, they should have played their A game.

Let's see, we beat OSU in 2016 by 3. We lost last year by 1. We lost again this year by 1. In 2014, we lost in double OT.

Yep, OSU has been eking most of them out, so by the logic of the posters visiting here, we must get their B- game every year. They must skip practice on PSU week or something.

Yes, losing Trace. If you want to be part of the elite club you'll know that there should always be at least 4 star QBs waiting to play, but that doesn't mean they're going to be any good. Logic tells you there will be a dropoff at the QB position for a little while. I'm fully aware Penn State didn't play their A game, but thats on them. They were playing at home against their biggest rival with a senior QB, they should have played their A game.
The truth is, both teams played their hardest. You're just trying to justify how your guys barely saved their asses.

If we use some logic inspired by Hillary Clinton we can say PSU is actually 1-0 with a 1 point victory in this best of 3 series.

He genius, how does someone play "above their ability?" Are you the kind of intellect OSU is producing these days?
You get what I’m saying. PSU is a good team that played above what they have been. Aided by a whiteout crowd vs. a new QB.

This is when you know you’re getting owned in a thread. Nitpicking grammar and personal insults.

Reactions: NobleOne
You get what I’m saying. PSU is a good team that played above what they have been. Aided by a whiteout crowd vs. a new QB.

This is when you know you’re getting owned in a thread. Nitpicking grammar and personal insults.
Owned in a thread? I don't even know what the hell your point is. You certainly haven't made one of any value. And by the way, I would never use the phrase "played above their ability" when trying to make a point. Teachable moment: When making an argument, make sure you use clear language and don't expect your opponent to interpret your statement beyond words you actually used.

Uh..... If McS had just run the ball?????

During the game, I thought McSorley had 20 yards of green in front of him. In reality, he didn’t. Borland was closing in on him and had leverage from both the outside and inside (the corner coming up on outside and another LB was flowing from the inside). At best, it would have been a 5 yard run before he would have to take on 3 buckeyes.

PSU played above their ability, which is clear after Appy State and Illinois.
Well that's your opinion. I don't think we played above our ability. We played well for some portions and then not for others just like in previous games this year.

Fine, maybe so, but part of that is because the other team is trying too.
No doubt. But both teams had wide open guys drop passes. Both teams missed FGs. Both teams missed tackles, missed blocks, took bad angles. Some of that is the talent and skill and effort of the other team, some of it is mistakes. I think both teams are stocked with talent, and give great effort, but I don't think either has played their best game yet.

There's a huge difference between A+ effort and A+ execution. I believe both teams gave maximum effort. Neither executed nearly to their potential.
I can agree to this. I also agree that replacing Trace is a massive question mark. That said, I've heard that same rumbling all of every offseason for the past two years referring to Godwin, Moorhead, Gesicki, Barkley, DaeSean, etc. At this point the reasons to believe that the team will remain competitive vastly outnumber the reasons to believe the opposite.

Urban's demeanor on the sidelines leads me to believe he agrees with me. He understood the stakes very well. PSU pulling this game out would have been an enormous step in ending Ohio State's seemingly permanent dominance over this conference. Here's hoping it was a good enough showing that this perception change is happening anyway.

No doubt. But both teams had wide open guys drop passes. Both teams missed FGs. Both teams missed tackles, missed blocks, took bad angles. Some of that is the talent and skill and effort of the other team, some of it is mistakes. I think both teams are stocked with talent, and give great effort, but I don't think either has played their best game yet.
Okay, on that we can both agree. You seem somewhat reasonable, so now can you talk the other Buckeye dumbbells out of here?

Owned in a thread? I don't even know what the hell your point is. You certainly haven't made one of any value. And by the way, I would never use the phrase "played above their ability" when trying to make a point. Teachable moment: When making an argument, make sure you use clear language and don't expect your opponent to interpret your statement beyond words you actually used.

I’ve made several points ITT. I can only lead the horse to water. And I will be sure to break my thoughts down to a 5 year olds comprehension level so that it can be understood here.

I’ve made several points ITT. I can only lead the horse to water. And I will be sure to break my thoughts down to a 5 year olds comprehension level so that it can be understood here.
You don't have to do that. Just write words that make sense and are not logically impossible, like the ones you wrote.

Bingo! I think this is as good a place as any to end this thread.

I can agree to this. I also agree that replacing Trace is a massive question mark. That said, I've heard that same rumbling all of every offseason for the past two years referring to Godwin, Moorhead, Gesicki, Barkley, DaeSean, etc. At this point the reasons to believe that the team will remain competitive vastly outnumber the reasons to believe the opposite.

Urban's demeanor on the sidelines leads me to believe he agrees with me. He understood the stakes very well. PSU pulling this game out would have been an enormous step in ending Ohio State's seemingly permanent dominance over this conference. Here's hoping it was a good enough showing that this perception change is happening anyway.
I believe Penn State has reached the point right now where there's always going to be a talented guy to replace the talented guy when he leaves. The question is can he perform to the level expected and how quickly. Not always easy, see the Buckeye LBs and S this year.

ETA: Forgot to say, Urban knows what's up. Michigan is the rival, but he knows Penn State is the biggest threat.
Okay, on that we can both agree. You seem somewhat reasonable, so now can you talk the other Buckeye dumbbells out of here?
I try to be, especially when visiting other boards. I just like to talk football.

As for the others...I already have a full time job. Policing the...call them overzealous portions of the fanbase would take up too much of my time, based on the number of them. Trust me, there's probably a lot of Buckeye fans I like as little or even less than you do.

You don't have to do that. Just write words that make sense and are not logically impossible, like the ones you wrote.

I apologize for a simple wording error. Now get back to the personal insults.

Bingo! I think this is as good a place as any to end this thread.

nMQvf9JuCOnV27xg96KyAzbS2oMnamMESQFG1cLE5-obIRQ5-MtkEnorxmuA2wWmPeffl1g=w540-h272-nc

End thread.

Prove me wrong, Feinstein.

Well, for one, you don’t seemed trouble by using it in this thread. If you are willing to use it here, then it stands to reason, coupled with your anger, that you use it on other sites.

You response makes no sense what-so-ever. By pointing out your Fruedian Slip, we in no way took personal offense or felt resentment. So you obviously don't understand the words you are attempting to use. Secondly, I'm not sure why you think it's funny to attribute the crimes of an ex-PSU employee that occurred off campus, to the PSU football program. Your ignorant point of view was not only disproven in court, but also enables future abuse. You could be focused on the PA state professionals that truly failed those kids, but I guess you care as little about the abuse of children as you do about women.

Reactions: Howie'81
In that situation, its not an Offensive PI unless and until the ball is thrown.

Here is a quote from the rule interpretations:
"Pass interference can only occur when a forward pass is thrown from behind the line of scrimmage, regardless of whether the pass is legal or illegal, or whether it crosses the line."

Hell, that is why the PI flag was "picked up" (even though OSU would have much preferred to enforce an offensive PI rather than an Illegal Forward Pass penalty.

I can't make that any simpler for you.
So a pick play, before a pass is thrown, is not offensive pass interference? If a receiver pushes off before a pass is thrown to gain separation, that is offensive pass interference regardless if the ball is thrown yet.

You response makes no sense what-so-ever. By pointing out your Fruedian Slip, we in no way took personal offense or felt resentment. So you obviously don't understand the words you are attempting to use. Secondly, I'm not sure why you think it's funny to attribute the crimes of an ex-PSU employee that occurred off campus, to the PSU football program. Your ignorant point of view was not only disproven in court, but also enables future abuse. You could be focused on the PA state professionals that truly failed those kids, but I guess you care as little about the abuse of children as you do about women.

It makes perfect sense. The thread was about football until it was moved towards personal insults and DV. The fact that you think it’s a Freudian Slip shows your butthurt. I found it comical as PSU is the last one who should be casting stones. I’ve noticed a lot of PSU guys telling and assuming what us OSU fans should think. Assuming we don’t care about DV. Assuming we don’t care about sexual assault. We should be worried about PSU future teams. Maybe you should just sit this one out and let the thread die.

Back to the OP and the point I made was the win was not flukey. It was earned.

Well, for one, you don’t seemed trouble by using it in this thread. If you are willing to use it here, then it stands to reason, coupled with your anger, that you use it on other sites.
I’ve seen it used a million times on the MB. Stop trying so hard.

It makes perfect sense. The thread was about football until it was moved towards personal insults and DV. The fact that you think it’s a Freudian Slip shows your butthurt. I found it comical as PSU is the last one who should be casting stones. I’ve noticed a lot of PSU guys telling and assuming what us OSU fans should think. Assuming we don’t care about DV. Assuming we don’t care about sexual assault. We should be worried about PSU future teams. Maybe you should just sit this one out and let the thread die.

Back to the OP and the point I made was the win was not flukey. It was earned.

I don't know what's worse, the fact that you use the term "butthurt" or that you used it incorrectly because you don't understand what it means. Did you not read what I wrote? Please read it slower this time. By pointing out your Fruedian Slip, we in no way took personal offense or felt resentment. So you obviously don't understand the words you are attempting to use.

Secondly, I'm not sure why you think it's comical to attribute the crimes of an ex-PSU employee that occurred off campus, to the PSU football program. Your ignorant point of view was not only disproven in court, but also enables future abuse. You could be focused on the PA state professionals that truly failed those kids, but I guess you care as little about the abuse of children as you do about women.

I sure hope "your" going to read my post this time. If you had just read it carefully last time, you would realize that your post #77 was entirely necessary. It's funny how desperate you are to change the subject, because you can't back up your opinions with facts. "Your" not getting off the hook that easy. Either man up, or maybe you should just sit this one out and let the adults talk?

Sorry, not buying that analysis. Can’t call Sanders fumble a bad break but not our deflected interception. Most of the stuff you list was just poor execution by PSU. I’m sure they feel the same way about their mistakes. Poor tackling by us isn’t flukey.

It was as "flukey" as the 2016 game..which I think is the main point

There were 4 times that Haskins passes touched Penn St defender hands in the 1st half alone. We got 1 of them. There were 2 fumbles in the game, both bounced right to and were recovered by Ohio St. Both resulted in 7 for Ohio St. That is flukey.[/QUOTE
Rewatch the game. We were clearly the better team.

We dominated them badly in the 1st half. Not only were they lucky that we gifted them 7 with a fumble deep in our territory, but also we left ALOT of points off the board. Twice driving and getting 0, twice getting just 3. Drives stopped by a dropped backwards pass to our backup QB, by Sanders slipping when he clearly had a 1st otherwise. Sanders dropping a beautiful wheel route. Juwan and Hipp dropping easy wide open 1st downs. I counted 3 times in the 1st half alone that our defenders had their hands on a Haskins pass that did not end up in an interception. We had a 3 to 1 edge in yardage but only a 6 point lead in the first half.

They got at least 3 very favorable spots by my count. Sanders fumble bounced right to Tremont Jones. Benjamin was lucky as hell to not only catch the ball but it was a collection of bad luck and poor tackling that he was able to score to give them any hope in the 4th quarter. Haskins fumbled on their opening 2nd half drive for a TD and of course it bounced right to him. There was a definite hold on this TD run as well. They target and eliminate our best WR with a likely concussion. They had another targeting that didn't get called. On Shelton's late hit, he was definitely pushed in the back before hitting the runner out of bounds. He may have been able to pull off possibly, but it looks like the momentum was too much and he was thrown out of the game for targeting significantly affecting our D in the 2nd half. A Polk wide open drop definitely cost us points on a drive. Trace's throw past the line of scrimmage cost us points.

I'm sorry, but when I rewatch it. They caught so many breaks that the only way to describe it was a fluke. I think we win at least 7 out of 10 against them if it were replayed. We are the better team.
Flukey, Really...First its flukey, then your blaming your coach's call, bad spots, etc. Ohio State made the big plays when they needed to.

Rewatch the game. We were clearly the better team.

We dominated them badly in the 1st half. Not only were they lucky that we gifted them 7 with a fumble deep in our territory, but also we left ALOT of points off the board. Twice driving and getting 0, twice getting just 3. Drives stopped by a dropped backwards pass to our backup QB, by Sanders slipping when he clearly had a 1st otherwise. Sanders dropping a beautiful wheel route. Juwan and Hipp dropping easy wide open 1st downs. I counted 3 times in the 1st half alone that our defenders had their hands on a Haskins pass that did not end up in an interception. We had a 3 to 1 edge in yardage but only a 6 point lead in the first half.

They got at least 3 very favorable spots by my count. Sanders fumble bounced right to Tremont Jones. Benjamin was lucky as hell to not only catch the ball but it was a collection of bad luck and poor tackling that he was able to score to give them any hope in the 4th quarter. Haskins fumbled on their opening 2nd half drive for a TD and of course it bounced right to him. There was a definite hold on this TD run as well. They target and eliminate our best WR with a likely concussion. They had another targeting that didn't get called. On Shelton's late hit, he was definitely pushed in the back before hitting the runner out of bounds. He may have been able to pull off possibly, but it looks like the momentum was too much and he was thrown out of the game for targeting significantly affecting our D in the 2nd half. A Polk wide open drop definitely cost us points on a drive. Trace's throw past the line of scrimmage cost us points.

I'm sorry, but when I rewatch it. They caught so many breaks that the only way to describe it was a fluke. I think we win at least 7 out of 10 against them if it were replayed. We are the better team.

Don't fumble, kick that one field goal, catch that third down pass towards the end of the half. That's three plays. The minor things. Make them and we win. Game over. You have to play clean in big games.

Don't fumble, kick that one field goal, catch that third down pass towards the end of the half. That's three plays. The minor things. Make them and we win. Game over. You have to play clean in big games.
We could have done those things and more but the point is that Ohio St was not the better team. Their win was a fluke and we would beat them at least 7 out of 10 times if replayed. Both fumbles went right to them. We have our hands on 4 potential INTs and only get 1. We have drives deep into their territory all first half that result in only 6 points. They did virtually nothing against us the entire first half but were gifted 7 with a turnover. These are the things that if played out again would unlikely all go their way.

We had a 3 to 1 advantage in yardage in the 1st half with only a 6 point lead. That is very rare. We did some of that to ourselves but they also caught a ton of breaks. That win was a fluke and they are the 2nd best team in the division without question.

That win was a fluke and they are the 2nd best team in the division without question.

It's a good thing the CFP committee set a precedent in 2016. It doesn't matter who goes to and wins the B10 title, and head to head results also don't matter. They need to put the best teams in the playoff.

I'd agree the breaks seemed to fall their way. Our inability to put it in the end zone in the 1st half was eerily like some past game in my over 50 years of watching this team. If felt like a time bomb was ticking each time we did not score or score a TD in the 1st half. We'd have had put them away if we had put TD's up on 75% of those foray's into their territory but alas, it was not to be. The silly Lion gadget play stuff was painfully obvious to me so I doubt it was any surprise to their defense. Again, it was fruitless.

The close but miss haunts our defense on the ints. and the pinball-like performance of our backfield on their longer TD runs for the last two drives was disappointing at best. Where does the running into the ball carrier like a mini missile come from? Unless they can detonate that doesn't appear to be effective as they often harmlessly bounce off. Wrap them up, wrap up the legs, they can't run that way. Wow, that did make my blood boil a bit. Yet my days of stewing over it are passed. It was a game and its over. The remainder of the season remains. They played a top team toe to toe. Been a while since that was an expectation, not a wish. Keep your chin up, its easier to hit that way.....wink.
The silly gadget stuff was not only silly. It was unnecessary. We were moving the ball at will, and then when we got into scoring territory, we went into a shell. Or made one of those crazy plays for loss of yardage. But if we had kicked the field goal rather than go for it on 4th and 1, we win that game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT