ADVERTISEMENT

Official Score Predictions Cotton Bowl Edition

mickey_PSU

Gold Member
Feb 1, 2006
NEPA
Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all in the Lion's Den. With the Holidays approaching, I thought I'd get this started a few days earlier than normal. Hard to believe but this is the last game of the year and the last chance for you all to impress all of us with your ability to predict the final score of a Penn State football game.

Here's what I'm thinking... first, I think we have significantly more talent than Memphis. Second, I don't think this Nittany Lion's team has the same mental makeup as the team from last year, I think this team understands the importance of winning this game and what it means to the Program heading into next season. I think the point spread represents a significant underestimation of what this Penn State team can and will do.

I've looked over Memphis' schedule and, frankly, it isn't all that impressive. They score a lot of points, but they also give up a lot of points, too. This to lesser teams as compared to the opponents we've faced this season. Their passing game is solid... and as many on here lament, our pass defense isn't that good... but is that true? We have had some problems at times, inopportune blown coverages, but it has not been consistently bad throughout the season. Further, our defensive line, I believe, will be putting a lot of pressure on the Tiger's QB on the 28th, which in turn will cause several turnovers via INTs. I think our defense holds them to less than 20.... Which then brings me to our offense. Sean Clifford will be back, that's huge. With nearly a month to prepare, Clifford will be raring to go.. he'll be amped up a bit in the beginning but as he settles in, look out. I see our offense doing very well against the Memphis defense, which, imo, isn't all that good in the first place. The runningbacks will all do well, we'll control the LOS and Clifford will get into a rhythm that Memphis won't be able to stop. I'm thinking a Buffalo type game, with it being a little closer than anyone will like in the first half but, unfortunately for the team from Memphis, there's a second half and Penn State will dominate the final 30 minutes. The big difference I see between the Buffalo game and this one, though, is that Penn State will get going before the end of the first half, we'll lead 17-10 at the half.

So, my final score prediction? Penn State 45 Memphis 17. Yeah, my predictions is influenced by my blue and white glasses but if I'm going down in the end, I'm doing it with a positive view of our team's abilities and Tyler Bowen's play calling.

What say all you experts out there?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News