ADVERTISEMENT

Official PSU - Rutgers 2020 Game Thread

Well that point will force us into three runs
It’s also noticeable that Stout seems to lack focus on his punts. Really miss Blakeo
Are you kidding about Luketa, or are you acknowledging that he’s a lousy tackler before moving on to your question?
Numer 40 is really lost at times. He seems confused pre snap too.
Noteworthy that two of our best younger players in this defense - Porter and Hardy - were three stars.
Hardy? Seriously.? Way to small.”

So if we would have won 49-0 we would have flipped a bunch of 5 stars today? I missed all the decommitments from the guys unimpressed by the game today. Can you link me to those?

Can you be any more of a drama queen? Please tell me how all of those repeated QB draws are helping any QB and their family gain the confidence to come play for this group of coaches? We are in the basement of the big ten. If you can’t understand that showing creativity and taking it to a lesser team is valuable I can’t help you. Playing not to lose and uninspired is getting us nowhere but the Belk bowl.

Reactions: psu2016
Maybe Minnesota, Wisconsin is going to the Rose Bowl after playing in the BIG championship game. You really didn’t think ole Barry has been so helpful to OSU lately out of the goodness of his heart ❤ did you?

Rose Bowl is a CFP semifinal this cycle.

Can you be any more of a drama queen? Please tell me how all of those repeated QB draws are helping any QB and their family gain the confidence to come play for this group of coaches? We are in the basement of the big ten. If you can’t understand that showing creativity and taking it to a lesser team is valuable I can’t help you. Playing not to lose and uninspired is getting us nowhere but the Belk bowl.

After an 0-5 start, I think anyone would take the Belk (now Duke's Mayonnaise) Bowl.

Don't give the moron anything to chew on. He's been on the same shtick forever and he's not smart enough to have any nuance.

Reactions: Eric_M
The point is to win the game, and airing it out with bad QBs in crappy weather was the only way we could lose that game.

Just like starting 0-5 didn’t cause any decommits, blowing out Rutgers isn’t going to change the class either. Amazingly, high school boys have more emotional maturity than the posters here and can identify the forest from the trees

Clifford’s inability to throw a crossing route chest high cost us two touchdowns today. He’s always high. Can’t that be coached up? Poor.
Is it coaching or is it the "IT" factor? I think everything is going very fast in Clifford's head this year. He seems afraid to release the ball unless the receiver is wide open. He often doesn't see secondary receivers and a lot of his passes appear to be delivered a second too late. He just doesn't appear comfortable.

I don't think the coaches help him with play calling and I think the WRs need to create more separation but a lot of it is also on Clifford.

Is it coaching or is it the "IT" factor? I think everything is going very fast in Clifford's head this year. He seems afraid to release the ball unless the receiver is wide open. He often doesn't see secondary receivers and a lot of his passes appear to be delivered a second too late. He just doesn't appear comfortable.

I don't think the coaches help him with play calling and I think the WRs need to create more separation but a lot of it is also on Clifford.
He has always had a tendency to throw the ball high. It mostly his footwork. He's too nervous in the pocket. Doesnt get set. He does not have the "it" factor.

And when we had rhythm he was pulled and was most likely frustrated watching quick three and outs and also frustrated that the coaches put Will in those situations. The second half play calling just killed the excitement of how well we played the first half

Last edited:
Reactions: psu2016 and 4INSBU
The point is to win the game, and airing it out with bad QBs in crappy weather was the only way we could lose that game.

Just like starting 0-5 didn’t cause any decommits, blowing out Rutgers isn’t going to change the class either. Amazingly, high school boys have more emotional maturity than the posters here and can identify the forest from the trees

Bresee, Fleming, Grimes, Thornton, Rucci, McCord, and on and on. We are consistently losing the top recruits in our area and running QB draws and inside hand offs the entire second half is not going to help that. It is not about maturity it is about having the common sense that the optics of running a unimaginative offense and failing to show continued progress are NOT going to help with recruiting difference makers. Maybe try and consider from a strategic point of view instead of from emotional.

Reactions: GregInPitt
Bresee, Fleming, Grimes, Thornton, Rucci, McCord, and on and on. We are consistently losing the top recruits in our area and running QB draws and inside hand offs the entire second half is not going to help that. It is not about maturity it is about having the common sense that the optics of running a unimaginative offense and failing to show continued progress are NOT going to help with recruiting difference makers. Maybe try and consider from a strategic point of view instead of from emotional.
There was rain in the first half and a strong wind in the second. We had a big lead in the second half and have been turnover prone. CJF simply ran the ball to secure the win. It was smart and just.

You’re right- Breese picked Clemson, the best program in the country, instead of PSU because we run too many QB draws against Rutgers. He definitely would have picked us if we watched our QBs throw ducks and INTs in a northeaster and bring a terrible team back into the game.

You win

You’re right- Breese picked Clemson, the best program in the country, instead of PSU because we run too many QB draws against Rutgers. He definitely would have picked us if we watched our QBs throw ducks and INTs in a northeaster and bring a terrible team back into the game.

You win

What about some motion? What about running to the outside, which was open? Rutgers came very close to making that a 23 to 14 game. If you can’t understand the reality of big boy football maybe it’s time for you to go back to playing fortnite in your parents basement.

He has always had a tendency to throw the ball high. It mostly his footwork. He's too nervous in the pocket. Doesnt get set. He does not have the "it" factor.
Clifford's getting better in the pocket and even throwing off his scrambles more often.

Accuracy -- a work in progress (we hope there is more progress) -- throwing to the receivers generally, but often high. Should be correctable.

Why be a jerk?

Because there are a certain group of posters on this board that seem to add nothing but bitch and snipe. If you don’t even want to consider the premise of my post and just want to argue and deflect, don’t expect me to be friendly. Better yet put me on ignore instead of being consistent little bitches.

Reactions: GregInPitt
What about some motion? What about running to the outside, which was open? Rutgers came very close to making that a 23 to 14 game. If you can’t understand the reality of big boy football maybe it’s time for you to go back to playing fortnite in your parents basement.
Fortnite and parents’s basement, good one boomer.

No, they didn’t get close to making it 23-14. 23-14 is a 2 possession game. I’m well aware of how big boyfootball works and arguing about running jet sweeps against Rutgers is as far from big boy football as it gets

Happy holidays

Fortnite and parents’s basement, good one boomer.

No, they didn’t get close to making it 23-14. 23-14 is a 2 possession game. I’m well aware of how big boyfootball works and arguing about running jet sweeps against Rutgers is as far from big boy football as it gets

Happy holidays

Happy holidays to you and yours as well

Because there are a certain group of posters on this board that seem to add nothing but bitch and snipe. If you don’t even want to consider the premise of my post and just want to argue and deflect, don’t expect me to be friendly. Better yet put me on ignore instead of being consistent little bitches.

Wish granted.

There was rain in the first half and a strong wind in the second. We had a big lead in the second half and have been turnover prone. CJF simply ran the ball to secure the win. It was smart and just.
Agree except for the series after Rutgers closed to 20-7. The 3 straight QB runs was painful to watch.

Clifford's getting better in the pocket and even throwing off his scrambles more often.

Accuracy -- a work in progress (we hope there is more progress) -- throwing to the receivers generally, but often high. Should be correctable.
One time in each of the past two games he made a move towards the LOS, then completed a pass once he drew a defender close to him. Those were great but he still didn't seem completely comfortable.

I don't know how to make a player comfortable other than to call high percentage plays to build their confidence. It's not just technique. I was hoping that Clifford would gain that confidence as things improved but it's coming along very slow. I hope the light goes off for him because he appears to be a hard worker with a great attitude. Also, PSU doesn't have many options other than 5'11" freshman TaQuon Robertson. I was hoping that 17-0 would turn into 34-0 so we could see him take a few snaps in the 4th quarter.

Agree except for the series after Rutgers closed to 20-7. The 3 straight QB runs was painful to watch.
I have to wonder how much of Levis' runs are by design vs. his inability or desire to hand off the ball to the running back. Certainly, on the short yardage, it seemed it was a design QB run with RB blocking. On other plays, others here can weigh in on whether it was QB design run, he was reading and based on read, kept the ball or just refused to hand off. He certainly wasn't trying to trick anyone and just became stop me if you can.

I have to wonder how much of Levis' runs are by design vs. his inability or desire to hand off the ball to the running back. Certainly, on the short yardage, it seemed it was a design QB run with RB blocking. On other plays, others here can weigh in on whether it was QB design run, he was reading and based on read, kept the ball or just refused to hand off. He certainly wasn't trying to trick anyone and just became stop me if you can.

Levis' runs seemed to all be designed for him calls. He was essentially a RB yesterday.

Levis' runs seemed to all be designed for him calls. He was essentially a RB yesterday.
Yeah, a fair number of those he was the only guy in the backfield. Something like this could only work against Rutgers.

1- loved that they got Scruggs extra snaps today; unhappy about Fries back to RT to do it. Wallace is the better player there.

2- 17-0 first half where we absolutely dominated. A lot of it is short clunky throws mixed in with the run, KC had Rutgers where he wanted them. If not for our still poor red zone performance, we should have been up 28-0. After the Clifford INT, KC shut things down and we did just enough to maintain our lead.

3- Levis at QB right now is essentially Wildcat RB. Our RB depth is obliterated and Lee came up gimpy twice today. It's a maintenance thing. Surprised we didn't see Holmes until the end, but we are just trying to get out of this season alive now.

4- watch the Washington TD again. That's what the KC offense is about. We didn't go back down the well imo because we were not forced to.

5- kudos to Schiano defensive staff on the way their kids tackled. I bet upon a rewatch, you will count no less than 6 open field tackles that our defense whiffs on that if Rutgers had, you could add 80 yards and 14 points to the totals.

6- Strange and Johnson are fun to watch block.

7- Secondary did a much better job of breaking on passes today. For a set of WRs that were expected to give us trouble, they were shut out save for the 4th down prayer TD.

8- 900!

There were some whiffs especially by Luketa, but there some good open field tackles too. Thought Brisker played very well. The defense stopped 2 fourth and short plays and held a team that averaged 30 points, several against some decent teams to 7 points and 204 total yards. The only TD was on fourth down when the Rutgers QB threw an absolute prayer which unfortunately answered. Hard to bitch too much about the defensive effort.

Yeah, a fair number of those he was the only guy in the backfield. Something like this could only work against Rutgers.

The biggest thing our offense seems to lack is the ability to recognize that, hey, the safety is coming down to crowd the box- take advantage of this.

The TD to Washington was a similar play, but we never called it again. We could have sent our TEs down the seam all day and never once tried it.

A lot of yesterday's play calling post 17-0 felt like "let's try this against an overmatched opponent until we master it or the clock reads 0:00". Clifford was high on a lot of throws and it hurts. Look at Dotson's reception on the screen. Well placed, caught in stride, and he gained 20.

Levis truly hasn't been given any down field throws. The short game started in his one half + play in the game he started. Since his regulation as a backup, has he thrown more than 3 passes? (I don't remember one myself...) Maybe he doesn't practice it very well, but I've not seen play calling that remotely looks like he's been given the same opportunities as Clifford as a passer.

I truly feel like we look to the portal this off season.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT