ADVERTISEMENT

"Official" Pirates thread -10-1 over Seattle. Cole with a complete game, Cutch & Kang each / 4 rbi's

GregInPitt

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
USC
Raise It !!!!!!! 8-4 over the Cubbies...

Update for all the Bucco fans, as well as the lurkers that just tune in to cry......

Liriano pitched well enough to win, 3 earned runs in 5 innings, but still walked 3.

Bucs got the most runs they have gotten off of Arrieta in his last 15 starts against them, 6 earned runs although the last 2 scored after he had been taken out.

Nice to see Cutch get 3 hits to begin to possibly turn his season around in the 2nd half of the season.

Bell really got a nice hit when he pinch hit in his first ML at bat.

Bucs are now only 7.5 back, versus 15 back not too long ago.

Just a nice game to talk about on PSU football board, to mix in with some great PSU football topics such as LB depth, Barkley carries......

Diagram below in case some readers don't know where the Jolly Roger gets raised.....

46-raise-it.jpg

awesome.. Can't wait to the second half, when we have Bell,Frazier, Glasnow, Tallion, Kuhl, and Cole up.

I just hope Bell or Glassnow aren't being showcased for a deal. Wonder if Meadows will be up late?

awesome.. Can't wait to the second half, when we have Bell,Frazier, Glasnow, Tallion, Kuhl, and Cole up.

I just hope Bell or Glassnow aren't being showcased for a deal. Wonder if Meadows will be up late?

Meadows is supposed to be a dynamic outfielder, projected as a center fielder. Would make a great defensive sub in the late innings coming down the stretch of the season. Frazier is a great addition as well. Lots of hustle.

A true #2 starter would give the Bucs the push they need to give the Cubbies a run for their money. But I'm with you as I'd rather they stand pat and put their stretch run starting rotation together from the veterans and kids that are auditioning right now.

Last edited:
Update for all the Bucco fans, as well as the lurkers that just tune in to cry......

Liriano pitched well enough to win, 3 earned runs in 5 innings, but still walked 3.

Bucs got the most runs they have gotten off of Arrieta in his last 15 starts against them, 6 earned runs although the last 2 scored after he had been taken out.

Nice to see Cutch get 3 hits to begin to possibly turn his season around in the 2nd half of the season.

Bell really got a nice hit when he pinch hit in his first ML at bat.

Bucs are now only 7.5 back, versus 15 back not too long ago.

Just a nice game to talk about on PSU football board, to mix in with some great PSU football topics such as LB depth, Barkley carries......

Diagram below in case some readers don't know where the Jolly Roger gets raised.....

46-raise-it.jpg
Great Game Summary. Think I might just go tomorrow! Really would be great to win tomorrow night, and take the series.

NL Central is walking wounded right now. Everyone hurting. Missing our top starting pitcher, catcher, and best player in slump, while still making the move, impressive.

Let's Go Bucs!

There has never been a less chance of anything than that the Bucs are showcasing those guys to deal them. Those two will not be traded or even mentioned in trade talks.

Meadows is supposed to be a dynamic outfielder, projected as a center fielder. Would make a great defensive sub in the late innings coming down the stretch of the season. Frazier is a great addition as well. Lots of hustle.

A true #2 starter would give the Bucs the push they need to give the Cubbies a run for their money. But I'm with you as I'd rather they stand pat and put their stretch run starting rotation from the veterans and kids that are auditioning right now.

I could be mistaken, but I think Meadows was drafted with the potential to play CF but it's since become obvious his place in the ML will be left (with Marte in center)

There has never been a less chance of anything than that the Bucs are showcasing those guys to deal them. Those two will not be traded or even mentioned in trade talks.

I could be mistaken, but I think Meadows was drafted with the potential to play CF but it's since become obvious his place in the ML will be left (with Marte in center)

I am curious. I have not been on too much lately.(too busy washing Pirate managements balls) But, I have seen a few posts that have alluded to complaints about Pirate threads. Who has been bitching? Why do they even bother clicking on the thread if they are not interested?

I am curious. I have not been on too much lately.(too busy washing Pirate managements balls) But, I have seen a few posts that have alluded to complaints about Pirate threads. Who has been bitching? Why do they even bother clicking on the thread if they are not interested?

One was Elmo something.... who I had "ignored" for some time, likely due to other childish behavior. I just happened to check the board from my phone, not logged in, and happened to see his thread of complaint..... Others have also wasted their breath complaining when as you said they could not open the threads or just put a few of us on "ignore". Criers...... Scroll down and you can see his thread.

Some people just like to complain. Best to just do what they're unable to and ignore their threads.

I didn't turn this game on until Bell had just had his first big league hit. Then the Bucs go on to ring up 4 more runs. I will not take credit here but will make an observation...

The Cubs seemed to self destruct defensively, looking like the minor/little league teams that Dibbs coached 20+ years ago. It was refreshing to watch and the harder they tried, the worse they played (also just like those kids teams 20+ years ago).

I don't hate the Cubs, but they have returned to the earth and this can become an interesting race if the Pirates can somehow figure out how to beat their division "lower dwellers", the Brew crew and the Reds.

I have as well, Starg, but I manage to post.:). Good one!

Reactions: Stargellfan

He may very well play LF with the Bucs - largely because Marte might have the skills to be the best defensive CF in the National League (probably should be playing there now, but that's another story).......but Meadows absolutely has "CF skills", and not just CF-capable skills, but legit ability to be a quite good MLB CFer

Great Game Summary. Think I might just go tomorrow! Really would be great to win tomorrow night, and take the series.

NL Central is walking wounded right now. Everyone hurting. Missing our top starting pitcher, catcher, and best player in slump, while still making the move, impressive.

Let's Go Bucs!
The cabs will load up with pitching help in the next couple weeks. I bet on that.

I didn't turn this game on until Bell had just had his first big league hit. Then the Bucs go on to ring up 4 more runs. I will not take credit here but will make an observation...

The Cubs seemed to self destruct defensively, looking like the minor/little league teams that Dibbs coached 20+ years ago. It was refreshing to watch and the harder they tried, the worse they played (also just like those kids teams 20+ years ago).

I don't hate the Cubs, but they have returned to the earth and this can become an interesting race if the Pirates can somehow figure out how to beat their division "lower dwellers", the Brew crew and the Reds.

The Cubs are very good and they have both the money and stocked farm system to get help at the trade deadline. I always thought they were pitching over their heads at the beginning of the season. Arietta is an excellent pitcher but you just don't go from slightly above average to immortal and maintain that. He was on an incredible hot streak, but it was inevitable that he was going to come back to earth. That said, he is definitely a legit number one starter. Jon Lester is a proven winner, but the rest of their starting staff does not scare me. They need help with both their rotation and their bullpen.

Clear the deck!!! Bell with a grand salami!! Bucco's up 11-5 on the unbeatable Cubbies...

Then a 2nd HR by Mercer to make it 12-5.... 4 HR's total for the Pirates so far in the game. There were already 250+ pitches thrown in the top of the 6th.

Bucco pitching was pretty sorry as the Cubs have more hits than the Bucs through 7 inning, 12-9, but the Bucs have managed to hit the long ball.

Cihnol9XAAURIdj.jpg

Last edited:
When you're the best baseball team in the state, numerous threads are to be expected. Same can be said for football and hockey. :)

John's feeling inferior again.

I treat John like I do my dog when he's seekng approval. I pat John on the head and say "Good boy!".

Let's get the brooms out tomorrow and go for the sweep. That would leave us 5.5 games back at the All Star break. Who would've thought we could make up 10 games in 12 days. Crazy. I read we're shopping Niese around, supposedly bunch of scouts from interested teams coming to tomorrow's game.

Lets Go Bucs!

Let's get the brooms out tomorrow and go for the sweep. That would leave us 5.5 games back at the All Star break. Who would've thought we could make up 10 games in 12 days. Crazy. I read we're shopping Niese around, supposedly bunch of scouts from interested teams coming to tomorrow's game.

Lets Go Bucs!

Wonder what they hope to get back for Niese. Another relief pitcher? Hard to get a pinch hitter that can make a quicker impact than bell.... 2 for 2, including a Grand Slam....

Wonder what they hope to get back for Niese. Another relief pitcher? Hard to get a pinch hitter that can make a quicker impact than bell.... 2 for 2, including a Grand Slam....
Given his contract.....probably the best they could hope for is a "decent" A ball prospect - - - think of a guy like, say, a Wyatt Mathisen ("hey, maybe someday he could be a decent depth piece") type of guy.
IF they were to move him AND eat a significant part of his money owed, then you maybe get a slightly higher level prospect - - - or a lottery ticket guy.

Only thing that could put some value on him is that he has a team option year for 2017......but I think the cost is somewhere around $10 million (give or take), so right now that looks like a "non-exercisable" option. BUT, the possibility remains that IF he turns it around he becomes a reasonably priced 4th starter for 2017 (for somebody).

Only way it makes sense for the Bucs to deal him - as opposed to holding on to him (possibly even moving him to the Pen) and seeing if he might turn things around in Pittsburgh - is if:

1 - They are fully convinced he is NOT going to turn things around in 2nd half
and
2 - They can move most or all of the money he is owed for the rest of 2016 (about $4 Million?) and use it to pay for a rental from one of the non-contenders......possibly a bullpen arm, or a serviceable back up catcher(given the injury trouble at that position thus far, and the uncertain status of both Cervelli and Stewart in the 2nd half)

All that said - IF the club feels Cole will be back ASAP, and they think Frankie is at least getting somewhat squared away, I think they WILL look to at least move him if for no other reason than to reallocate the $$$$. But that would mean, even in a best case, you are looking at having to count on Locke and 2 of the Rookies down the stretch.

Reactions: wslee1
He may very well play LF with the Bucs - largely because Marte might have the skills to be the best defensive CF in the National League (probably should be playing there now, but that's another story).......but Meadows absolutely has "CF skills", and not just CF-capable skills, but legit ability to be a quite good MLB CFer

Good news as LF for the Pirates with the North Shore notch and all is best manned by a CF

You can't be serious?

Reactions: wslee1
"Official" - Pirates Lose 2016 Wild Card Playoff Game

Just thought I'd fast forward to bring a swift end to the 2016 Pirates season so we can dispense with the multitude of game day postings. The Buccos will lose a fourth straight wild card game. History repeats itself.
Wait 'til next year!!

Just thought I'd fast forward to bring a swift end to the 2016 Pirates season so we can dispense with the multitude of game day postings. The Buccos will lose a fourth straight wild card game. History repeats itself.
Wait 'til next year!!

Maybe your prediction would hold more wait if you actually checked the facts! The Pirates won the wildcard game over the Reds in 2013 and took the Cardinals the full 5 game set in the NLDS before losing on the road. Shows how much you really pay attention.

"Official" - Pirates Lose 2016 Wild Card Playoff Game

Wait 'til next year!!

And from now on, us Bucco fans shall refer to you as: PINK ELMO!

A first for modern history and you'll fly a rainbow-colored flag outside your home!

Kuhl's pitching yesterday wasn't too cool....

but on the plus side he is batting .500 after going 1 for 1 yesterday...

Would have been sweet to sweep the Cubbies but taking 3 or 4 from the Cards and 2 of 3 from the Cubbies before the break is pretty sweet.

pirbeltow.jpg

Pittsburgh_Pirates_2.jpg

Reactions: john4psu
Pirates send Bell down...LOL

Does the front office want to win?

They do this to activate Cole who IMis getting hammered tonight.

Front office promised a number of years ago to send the money to compete. Has never said would spend the money to win.

It is all about making money and they are happy playing 162 meaningful games and competing for a wild card game. Their goal this year is to make sure they can be in this same position for years to come as it makes them a lot of money.

Bucs in 17th inning...

Phillies fan here but thought some would want to know.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT