ADVERTISEMENT

"OFFICIAL" Phillies thread .......

Terrific memory. Best thing out of that season was the trade. I got to sit in Section 245, Row 6, seats 3-6, for the next decade, watching the great Steve Carlton. As Wilver Dornel Stargell said, "hitting Carlton was like drinking coffee with a fork."

Another great Carlton tribute...somebody once said "When you refer to a player as 'Lefty,' and everybody automatically knows exactly who you're talking about, you know he's pretty good."

Reactions: EPC FAN
Another great Carlton tribute...somebody once said "When you refer to a player as 'Lefty,' and everybody automatically knows exactly who you're talking about, you know he's pretty good."
And some amazing numbers.

1972 season
41 starts
346 innings
310 strike outs
ERA 1.97
27-10 record

For a last place team; Carlton had 45.8% of the teams total wins.

Reactions: EPC FAN
I remember watching Rick Wise's no-hitter.
Oddly enough, I met Rick Wise either a day or two before or a day or two after that game (probably after as they were on a road trip the week before). He was at my mom's bank in Warminster and the teller let me know. I still have the autograph.

Oddly enough, I met Rick Wise either a day or two before or a day or two after that game (probably after as they were on a road trip the week before). He was at my mom's bank in Warminster and the teller let me know. I still have the autograph.
Nice. I faked Jim Bunning's signature on my glove to impress the gang until my dad made me scrub it off. (He wouldn't tolerate fibbing, the dear man.)

Reactions: bmw199
Nice. I faked Jim Bunning's signature on my glove to impress the gang until my dad made me scrub it off. (He wouldn't tolerate fibbing, the dear man.)
LionJim, a bit off-topic, but at least relating to baseball and a Phils' rival team --- just what is up with Bryce Harper? I realized he was having a tough year, but just looked at some stats -- he's hitting .233 with 20 HRs, vs last year's full season of .330 and 42 HRs.

What are the theories about his struggles this year?

LionJim, a bit off-topic, but at least relating to baseball and a Phils' rival team --- just what is up with Bryce Harper? I realized he was having a tough year, but just looked at some stats -- he's hitting .233 with 20 HRs, vs last year's full season of .330 and 42 HRs.

What are the theories about his struggles this year?
Generally, people believe he has a screwed up swing. He started the year as if he'd win the Triple Crown and then the Cubs walked him like fifteen times in one series and since then he's been bad. I read this weekend that he is overly uppercutting and that's what is doing the damage. He's always been streaky, though.

Reactions: royboy
One other thing about Harper. This is purely speculation on my part, and I haven't read anything about this specifically, but I wonder if he's like Cal Ripken, Jr. in the sense that he's not receptive to coaching. RIpken was a notoriously streaky hitter who refused to take hitting advice from anyone other than his father, which drove me nuts. (Why would anyone not want to take hitting advice from Frank Robinson, for example?) It's not that I think Harper's personality tells me that this is likely to be the real issue, it's just that he's been in an awful, awful slump, one of the worst I've ever seen, so I'm just wracking my brain to figure out what the hell is wrong.

Reminds me I used to do an "Art Mahaffey" signature. I was an artist and my "signature" was better than his "original" :) I used to go to local card shows to see if any of "my" originals were on display. The things we do as "kids".

Those were mostly not very good Phillies teams. Oh, the pain !!!

Reactions: LionJim
Prospect watch:
I just heard about Jeff Singer for the first time. He has gone from Williamsport to Lakewood to Clearwater this season. He apparently has hit 98mph.

In 27 IP in the minors this year he has given up 1 ER. WHIP is 0.75. 36 Ks to 7 BB.

Prospect watch:
I just heard about Jeff Singer for the first time. He has gone from Williamsport to Lakewood to Clearwater this season. He apparently has hit 98mph.

In 27 IP in the minors this year he has given up 1 ER. WHIP is 0.75. 36 Ks to 7 BB.

I have to say that one of the major concerns of these guys up with the big club (Nola, Eflin, etc.) is that they don't throw hard enough. They are all #4 or #5 starters, at best. I hope that there are prospects coming along who can throw it past a hitter.

Great to see Chase have a night in his return to CBP tonight.

I never watch Philly Sports Talk anymore on CSN. I happened to be home and figured it would be a good edition for ONCE with the return of Utley.

But NOOOO!!! They had to have that asshole John Smallwood on looking more miserable and unshaven than ever. For starters he always bought into the Joe was guilty narrative from the beginning.

But on this evening he doesn't like Utley. As he put it, I can't feel all warm and fuzzy because he's a bad guy. To quote Jeff Spicoli, "What a Dick!". Why would they they have this D-bag on for this game? I had the show on for a total of 2 minutes. Now I remember why I don't watch anymore.

Great to see Chase have a night in his return to CBP tonight.

I never watch Philly Sports Talk anymore on CSN. I happened to be home and figured it would be a good edition for ONCE with the return of Utley.

But NOOOO!!! They had to have that asshole John Smallwood on looking more miserable and unshaven than ever. For starters he always bought into the Joe was guilty narrative from the beginning.

But on this evening he doesn't like Utley. As he put it, I can't feel all warm and fuzzy because he's a bad guy. To quote Jeff Spicoli, "What a Dick!". Why would they they have this D-bag on for this game? I had the show on for a total of 2 minutes. Now I remember why I don't watch anymore.

Well Jimmy S. disagreed with everything he said. Smells didn't say much in retort.

Hey Phils fans. Nice debut for Asher tonight. another potential piece of the future rotation

Agreed. He wasn't very impressive in his starts last year. Seems that he developed an excellent sinker in the minors.

Interesting note -- Asher pitched Thursday nite, Thompson pitches Friday nite, and Eickhoff pitches Saturday; all 3 were received from the Rangers as part of the Cole Hamels trade.

Agreed. He wasn't very impressive in his starts last year. Seems that he developed an excellent sinker in the minors.

Interesting note -- Asher pitched Thursday nite, Thompson pitches Friday nite, and Eickhoff pitches Saturday; all 3 were received from the Rangers as part of the Cole Hamels trade.
Up late there Tom
I forgot he pitched last season. Maybe because he was terrible. I'm not counting any chickens yet

Up late there Tom
I forgot he pitched last season. Maybe because he was terrible. I'm not counting any chickens yet

It's so hard to tell with young pitchers....remember Todd Van Poppel or Rick Ankiel....and then Tom Glavine was like 1-15 as a rookie and became a HOF'er.

Point is you just never know...out of all the young arms the Phils have maybe 1 will become a legit stud

It's so hard to tell with young pitchers....remember Todd Van Poppel or Rick Ankiel....and then Tom Glavine was like 1-15 as a rookie and became a HOF'er.

Point is you just never know...out of all the young arms the Phils have maybe 1 will become a legit stud
I'm more concerned about getting 5 rotation guys than 1 stud. the more good looking prospects they have, the better chance of a decent rotation.

I'm more concerned about getting 5 rotation guys than 1 stud. the more good looking prospects they have, the better chance of a decent rotation.

I agree. My main point was that you can count on maybe 2 of the current young guys to be a regular contributor to the rotation for a solid chunk of time. The rest may be good for a few years then gone or washed up..

Apparently the Phils will also look for some veteran bats to help their young guys.

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors...illies-targeting-veteran-hitters-in-offseason

Heyman mentions free-agents-to-be Martin Prado, 32, and Ian Desmond, 30, as possible candidates for the Phillies to target.

Prado has a .313/.366/.791 slash line for the Miami Marlins this season, by and large his best numbers since 2008-09 with the Atlanta Braves. In addition, Prado is a versatile defender, although he's only played third base this year.

Desmond has a shot to win Comeback Player of the Year after converting to a center fielder for the Texas Rangers, Heyman writes, adding that Desmond's 21 home runs this season is just four shy of his career best in 2012.

Apparently the Phils will also look for some veteran bats to help their young guys.

http://www.espn.com/blog/mlb/rumors...illies-targeting-veteran-hitters-in-offseason

Heyman mentions free-agents-to-be Martin Prado, 32, and Ian Desmond, 30, as possible candidates for the Phillies to target.

Prado has a .313/.366/.791 slash line for the Miami Marlins this season, by and large his best numbers since 2008-09 with the Atlanta Braves. In addition, Prado is a versatile defender, although he's only played third base this year.

Desmond has a shot to win Comeback Player of the Year after converting to a center fielder for the Texas Rangers, Heyman writes, adding that Desmond's 21 home runs this season is just four shy of his career best in 2012.
i wouldn't spend for either. they're at least watchable this year with pretty much young kids. neither prado or desmond are going to change that much. would rather continue to see young players come up and live or die with them.

If either or both can be had at a reasonable price (doubt it). Other than that stick with the kids for another year. Then hopefully fill the gaps with free agency after next season.

i wouldn't spend for either. they're at least watchable this year with pretty much young kids. neither prado or desmond are going to change that much. would rather continue to see young players come up and live or die with them.

I agree.

Prado has played 3rd this year. He's played several other positions, but primarily 2nd and LF. If the Phils were to sign him, would you want him to play 3rd over Franco? There is talk of possibly moving Franco to 1st, though I think that's for later in his career. Next year Howard will be off the Phils roster, so that's an opening at 1st, though they still seem to be experimenting with Joseph and Ruf at 1st.

Desmond has played CF this year, and primarily SS in the past. The Phils seem to be planning to use Altherr in CF, and Herrera is the fall-back if his recovery from the wrist injury is slower than expected.

The Phils still have a lot of question marks in their starting lineup. I think they'd be better served (well, perhaps not at the box office) to let the the younger guys fight it out for positions. At this point next year, they should have a much better idea of what they need, and signing FAs that have good bats would make more sense then.

David Clyde was another of those...

Reactions: Cpeplion
Up late there Tom

Oh and nice observation on the 3 pitchers from Texas. Thompson seems to be getting more comfortable.

I agree.

Prado has played 3rd this year. He's played several other positions, but primarily 2nd and LF. If the Phils were to sign him, would you want him to play 3rd over Franco? There is talk of possibly moving Franco to 1st, though I think that's for later in his career. Next year Howard will be off the Phils roster, so that's an opening at 1st, though they still seem to be experimenting with Joseph and Ruf at 1st.

Desmond has played CF this year, and primarily SS in the past. The Phils seem to be planning to use Altherr in CF, and Herrera is the fall-back if his recovery from the wrist injury is slower than expected.

The Phils still have a lot of question marks in their starting lineup. I think they'd be better served (well, perhaps not at the box office) to let the the younger guys fight it out for positions. At this point next year, they should have a much better idea of what they need, and signing FAs that have good bats would make more sense then.

But...They need a to sign a veteran winner ala...a move that the Nats made signing Werth or when the Phils signed Thome.

But...They need a to sign a veteran winner ala...a move that the Nats made signing Werth or when the Phils signed Thome.
They were ready to compete then. We may still be a year away. But I'd not object to the right bat at the right time, now that Howard's contract is soon to be gone.

I haven't followed as closely as I should, what's the general consensus on Franco? I didn't realize he had the lowest OPS among 3rd basemen in baseball. It seems he has been battling nagging injuries all year but I also read that the Phillies think he needs to be in better shape. Is he still considered a future star?

So how's everybody liking Quinn?

GG, refresh my memory, do you need 70? They'd need to go 5-11 from here, if my cipherin' is right, eh?

There is a lot to like. Looks like he's smooth in the outfield and he has bat speed. I say he makes the team out of spring training next year.

However, I can't see both Quinn and Herrara in the same OF. Move Herrara via trade, play Quinn in CF and look for two power hitting corner OFs. IMHO, of course.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
Still a lot of questions but also a lot of potential solutions. It's an entire roster of guys who may or may not be pieces on a future championship, and that includes Franco. He needs to be better. A .250 average with 22 HRs is nothing special.

Reactions: Victor E. Bell
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT