ADVERTISEMENT

Official Northwestern @ Purdue Thread

That’s a crappy way to go down. Purdue was getting the ball back down 4 or 7 but get called for a stupid late hit.

Reactions: herrli
Interesting game. First half was very busy. Second half looked like adjustments evened things out.

Purdue: started the wrong QB. WR Moore is electric. Defense could not generate pressure.

NW: Thorsen doesn't looked 100% yet. Larkin should alleviate fears post-Jackson. Green is solid at TE/Super back. DEs rush very well.

Hate to see a game end on a penalty essentially. Neal with the boneheaded, unnecessary throw.

Both of these teams may have 4+ losses in them

Northwestern got blowout by Duke in week 2 last year after struggling with Nevada. They always start slow. As Thorson plays more and more they should be better and better. Larkin is legit. If Northwestern wins the games the should (never a given) they'll need to beat one of Michigan, Michigan State, Wisconsin & ND to avoid 4 losses. Let's see how good those teams are before we start saying they lose 4.

Purdue almost definitely loses at least 4 but they're improved. Sindelar looked very bad...might have to stick with Blough

You would think his new bar is for PSU is to be NW because they do QB sneaks.....I guess most of us have a higher bar.

I agree with you general point but two things
1. It wouldn't hurt to actually be able to go under center in goalline or short yardage situations. I'm not going to complain that we don't but NW is primarily in the shotgun but can put in that package.
2. We do have higher goals than Northwestern but over the last 3 years NW has been very good. Averaging 9 wins a year with two 10 wins seasons. We only have 2 more wins having played one more game. Northwestern's not a bad bar to set for most teams. I don't get the shot at NW. Fitzgerald has done a great job

You would think his new bar is for PSU is to be NW because they do QB sneaks.....I guess most of us have a higher bar.
Good grief. Doing QB sneaks lowers the bar? I guess Alabama Clemson etc aspire to be Northwestern.

Good grief. Doing QB sneaks lowers the bar? I guess Alabama Clemson etc aspire to be Northwestern.
776.jpg

The program/game went on for nearly four hours. That's one thing to not like about the modern game, the games take forever to finish, now.

Agreed--I thought it was never going to end. And if Purdue didn't get that late penalty it would have lasted even longer instead of NW running out the last 2 minutes or so

Has the Big 10(14) apologized to Purdue yet for the two monsterous blown calls in the secondary that both went NW’s way?

No, wait, the calls even out.....Purdue got hosed once offensively, once defensively.

That being said, Purdue’s ridiculously stupid personal foul with a little over two minutes left ended their hopes of an upset. As blatant as that foul was, only one of the two officials in the NW backfield threw a flag. And as blatant as that foul was, I’d have loved to see the Purdue player ejected. Or suspended next week.

Reactions: BBrown
Has the Big 10(14) apologized to Purdue yet for the two monsterous blown calls in the secondary that both went NW’s way?

No, wait, the calls even out.....Purdue got hosed once offensively, once defensively.

That being said, Purdue’s ridiculously stupid personal foul with a little over two minutes left ended their hopes of an upset. As blatant as that foul was, only one of the two officials in the NW backfield threw a flag. And as blatant as that foul was, I’d have loved to see the Purdue player ejected. Or suspended next week.

Wait--what was the second penalty? I'm assuming the first one you're talking about was the ridiculous missed OPI call but what was the second one

Wait--what was the second penalty? I'm assuming the first one you're talking about was the ridiculous missed OPI call but what was the second one

The second one was actually the first one.....the interception by NW on Purdue’s opening drive.

The ball was overthrown and was an easy interception by the safety.....but the receiver was tackled and taken down by the cornerback as he tried to get to the ball. I thought they’d be two or three flags thrown from all angles.....but nothing.

The first possession of the game and of the season.....and our Big 10(14) officiating crew blowing a very easy and obvious call. I told myself some things NEVER change.

And yes, the NW offensive pass int call that was ignored was the other call / non-call / blown call I was referring to.

Neither team looked like they'd be able to challenge Wisconsin or the Big Ten East

Allow Thorson time to recover. They play Duke and Akron before having a bye week before games vs Michigan and at Michigan State. If Thorson is healthy they can be a threat. Larkin is legit. Purdue isn't there yet but no one expected them to be. Rondale Moore is a great piece for them moving forward...the kid is special

The second one was actually the first one.....the interception by NW on Purdue’s opening drive.

The ball was overthrown and was an easy interception by the safety.....but the receiver was tackled and taken down by the cornerback as he tried to get to the ball. I thought they’d be two or three flags thrown from all angles.....but nothing.

The first possession of the game and of the season.....and our Big 10(14) officiating crew blowing a very easy and obvious call. I told myself some things NEVER change.

And yes, the NW offensive pass int call that was ignored was the other call / non-call / blown call I was referring to.

Oh, that one didn't bother me nearly as much as the OPI that was missed but, okay, yeah, I can see that.

They always start slow.

They actually started fast. 31 in the first half and looked well on the way to 48-59 range. The fact that Purdue shut them down the entire second half, save for the final drive, shocked me.

Had Brohm played Blough the entire game, this very well could have been a much different looking contest. Blough was the starter early last year, right? What is the deal with that battle?

They actually started fast. 31 in the first half and looked well on the way to 48-59 range. The fact that Purdue shut them down the entire second half, save for the final drive, shocked me.

Had Brohm played Blough the entire game, this very well could have been a much different looking contest. Blough was the starter early last year, right? What is the deal with that battle?

No, they have slow starts to seasons not games--sorry if I wasn't clear
I agree with the Blough comment

Yea you know it’s bad when even the in house official, bill lemonier, saw it. LOL

Reactions: ILLINOISLION

When watching in real time, my first reaction was "c'mon, ref, don't call that to decide the game" but on watching the replay it was pretty bad and needed to be called. Really dumb play by Purdue DL.

When watching in real time, my first reaction was "c'mon, ref, don't call that to decide the game" but on watching the replay it was pretty bad and needed to be called. Really dumb play by Purdue DL.

The officials have to make that call no matter when it happens in the course of a game. Again, I was surprised only one of the two officials staring at the play threw a flag.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT