ADVERTISEMENT

"Official next Gen Corvette reveal thread"

Has the similar shape and lines of other mid-engine offerings from across the Pond. But still should be an exciting reveal.
Looks like the Ferrari 458 to me to some degree, intriguing. I heard the engine has so much torque, they have difficulties having a strong enough frame. IIRC, main reason for the prolonged delay in launching the Vette.

Reactions: Zenophile
General Motors (GM) is poised to unveil its long-awaited newly designed mid-engine 2020 Corvette, a move the company hopes will bring the Corvette closer to exotic supercars made in Europe such as the Lamborghini and Ferrari.

GM wants its most recognizable nameplate to evolve to attract a fresh crop of buyers, as it introduces the Corvette's most radical redesign ever, switching to a midsection engine that gives the car a starkly different look.

Edmunds analyst Jessica Caldwell says the car gives GM a sorely needed shot in the arm after a difficult year: "A Corvette is not going to help pad margins the way a Silverado would. But from an image and excitement standpoint... that halo effect the Corvette fills is unique."

I can't see myself buying a Corvette even though they are incredible cars. OTOH I do have my heart set on the Camaro 1SS convertible. 90% of the performance with 50% of the money.

General Motors (GM) is poised to unveil its long-awaited newly designed mid-engine 2020 Corvette, a move the company hopes will bring the Corvette closer to exotic supercars made in Europe such as the Lamborghini and Ferrari.

GM wants its most recognizable nameplate to evolve to attract a fresh crop of buyers, as it introduces the Corvette's most radical redesign ever, switching to a midsection engine that gives the car a starkly different look.

Edmunds analyst Jessica Caldwell says the car gives GM a sorely needed shot in the arm after a difficult year: "A Corvette is not going to help pad margins the way a Silverado would. But from an image and excitement standpoint... that halo effect the Corvette fills is unique."

I can't see myself buying a Corvette even though they are incredible cars. OTOH I do have my heart set on the Camaro 1SS convertible. 90% of the performance with 50% of the money.
Wouldn’t it be better to keep the Vette as is and create a new model super car?

Last edited:
I like my vette's in black

1978-Chevrolet-Chevelle-Front.jpg

Has the similar shape and lines of other mid-engine offerings from across the Pond. But still should be an exciting reveal.
Mid engine? Where is mid? I’ve seen mid engine race cars but I never thought to ask where the engine is. Thanks.

Right behind the 2 front seats, but in front of rear wheels.

yeah, but the Vette never had a mid engine... that is why I’m suggesting that it remain as it.
I hear you but I agree with @ClarkstonMark . It would be great to see GM come out with a true supercar (the Vette is the supercar for a much wider audience - a Ferrari for Everyman), but better to capitalize on 65 years of brand identification and reputation.

I'm a GM loyalist - I had tremendous success with my TrailBlazer and drove it into the ground. Now I'm driving a Traverse 3LT and enjoying the hell out of it. Once I get the house paid off then all possibilities are open.

The die hard Corvette people are in their 60s or older.

That being said, once you go mid engine the design completely changes. I somewhat agree with the poster above, call it something new.

LdN
I hear what you are saying, something new, a design change. why not an entirely new car along with the Vette. I’m not in my 60’s, or even 50’s. there is just something uniquely American about the classic Corvette. I think it is a mistake to go European in this situation. Doesn’t mean the car isn’t going to be a beast however. One poster above I think said it best, the Corvette is the every guy ( blue collar) Ferrari.

Need to see it in person to judge. It’ll alienate some (mostly the jean shorts crowd) and bring others into the fold. More interested in what the z06/zr1 bring to the table. Drove the c7 right after it went on sale for about an hour courtesy of a buddy who worked for gm, car was an absolute dude magnet on city streets.

Kind of looks to me like they morphed a Camaro and a Lambo Aventador. Looks like too many sharp lines. I'd like to see it cleaned up a little. Have to see it in person to really give the nod or not. Unique ride for starting at under 60k. Mid engine performance should be a blast. Looking at Porsches, they thought when they switched from air cooled to water cooled circa 97, IIRC, no Porsche-o-phile would buy one. The 911 is stronger than ever. I'd guess the change will allow more growth in performance.
https://www.chevrolet.com

Reactions: BBrown
I love the look. While I understand the potential push back against such a radical redesign while still calling it a Corvette, go ahead and compare a 1953 vette to a 2018. They look nothing alike, so it isn’t as though dramatic changes in styling haven’t been a part of its history. This is just the next stage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
The base price surprised me some. Early talk of a mid engine eluded to $120k or higher for the base. Pricing similar to the C7 will keep many of the Corvette enthusiasts in the fold.

Reactions: Fox Chapel Lion II
So what does everyone think? Like? Dislike? Miss the coke bottle look?

Love the exterior, the interior will take some getting used to. That long row of switches is bizarre. I'm a tall guy and getting into and fitting into the older vettes was always a challenge. I hope the new one has more room for those of us over 6' tall.

Love the exterior, the interior will take some getting used to. That long row of switches is bizarre. I'm a tall guy and getting into and fitting into the older vettes was always a challenge. I hope the new one has more room for those of us over 6' tall.
I had the same issue with my 2007 Vette. In the summer, I would take the roof panel off (kept in garage) and that made it easier to get in and out of. But colder weather with the panel on - it was a bit of gymnastics.

If you want a previous version of the Corvette, I have heard that the C6 and C7 prices are expected to drop quite a bit.

Modern Corvette prices always drop quite a bit. The depreciation on them is ridiculous because Chevy makes more than they can sell for sticker (unlike porsche gt cars for example), and then you have a bunch of old guys buy them and never drive them, so the supply of good condition used ones is high as well. You can already get low mileage C7s under 35K. You'll be able to get the c8 under 40k within 2/3 years if the production numbers remain similar.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT