1. Georgia 13-0
2. Michigan 13-0
3. Tennessee 11-1
4. Ohio State 11-1
------
5. Clemson 12-1
6. Oregon 12-1

I don't see a 1 loss tenn over a 1 loss Michigan
1 loss Tennessee has a win over Bama. That trumps anything Michigan has (unless Michigan beats OSU but loses to Illinois or somebody else).

I don't see any way the Big Ten gets two. Winner of OSU-Michigan for all the marbles. SEC will get at least two, and there are a few others floating around that could spoil it (Clemson, TCU, etc.).

The interesting question is whether a 12-1 Oregon (or USC) would get slotted higher than an 11-1 Michigan or OSU.

Reactions: bytir
1 loss Tennessee has a win over Bama. That trumps anything Michigan has (unless Michigan beats OSU but loses to Illinois or somebody else).

I don't see any way the Big Ten gets two. Winner of OSU-Michigan for all the marbles. SEC will get at least two, and there are a few others floating around that could spoil it (Clemson, TCU, etc.).

The interesting question is whether a 12-1 Oregon (or USC) would get slotted higher than an 11-1 Michigan or OSU.

If Clemson and TCU lose a game (reasonable) I don't see how it's not 2 SEC and 2 Big Ten. Maybe if Bama wins out, Tennessee beats Georgia and Oregon wins the Pac XII the SEC would get 3.

Reactions: 1AA
If Clemson and TCU lose a game (reasonable) I don't see how it's not 2 SEC and 2 Big Ten. Maybe if Bama wins out, Tennessee beats Georgia and Oregon wins the Pac XII the SEC would get 3.
This would all but ensure the death of a 4-team playoff......maybe a lot sooner than later. The majority of the big TV markets are in B1G territory - especially with USC and UCLA coming.

This would all but ensure the death of a 4-team playoff......maybe a lot sooner than later. The majority of the big TV markets are in B1G territory - especially with USC and UCLA coming.
Yeah, I mean it would be interesting
Ohio State 13-0 (lock)
Alabama 12-1 (SEC Champ lock)

Tennessee 12-1 beat Georgia and Bama/lost to Bama lock

Then you have
Georgia 11-1 beat Oregon lost to Tennessee
Michigan 11-1 beat Penn State/Illinois lost to Ohio State
Clemson 12-1 ACC champ but lost to someone not great without a great win
Oregon 12-1 Pac XII champ but destroyed by Georgia

Gotta be Georgia right?

I think if Clemson wins out, they're in. No way they don't make it.

Ohio State at home will beat Michigan. No way does MIchigan make it without winning the conference or even playing in the league's championship game.

Alabama needs to beat Georgia in the SEC championship. If that happens in a close game, then both Georgia and Alabama make it. If Georgia wins that game, then it's a bit of a free-for-all for the 4th spot, but it wouldn't be Alabama.

Yeah, I mean it would be interesting
Ohio State 13-0 (lock)
Alabama 12-1 (SEC Champ lock)

Tennessee 12-1 beat Georgia and Bama/lost to Bama lock

Then you have
Georgia 11-1 beat Oregon lost to Tennessee
Michigan 11-1 beat Penn State/Illinois lost to Ohio State
Clemson 12-1 ACC champ but lost to someone not great without a great win
Oregon 12-1 Pac XII champ but destroyed by Georgia

Gotta be Georgia right?

Clemson is probably the easiest to swallow in that scenario based on brand, followed by Michigan.

It gets trickier if Georgia beats UT and loses to Bama. Then you have

Undefeated Big Ten Champ-

12-1 Bama SEC Champ
12-1 Georgia (Beat UT)
11-1 UT (Beat Bama)
11-1 OSU/UM (Best win Penn State)
12-1 Oregon

You also potentially have a 13-0 TCU.

Geeze I thought Minnesota would be on Parker’s list as they are scary good. Also no Purdue??

Clemson is probably the easiest to swallow in that scenario based on brand, followed by Michigan.

It gets trickier if Georgia beats UT and loses to Bama. Then you have

Undefeated Big Ten Champ-

12-1 Bama SEC Champ
12-1 Georgia (Beat UT)
11-1 UT (Beat Bama)
11-1 OSU/UM (Best win Penn State)
12-1 Oregon

You also potentially have a 13-0 TCU.
Yeah, that's trickier

UGa, Clemson, duhO$U and Bama. b1g is not getting 2 over SEC.

duhO$U has a better chance at the CFI (College Football Invitational) than scUM with one loss - all you have to do is look at the inaugural CFI Rankings that just came out... scUM is the second lowest ranked of the 6 remaining P5 undefeated teams at #5. But even #2 duhO$U won't make it with a loss if Clemson remains undefeated, which they almost certainly will. I'll go with 12-1 UGa, 13-0 duhO$U, 13-0 Clemson and 12-1 Bama.

Last edited:
If we want to get 2 Big Tens in the playoff (do we?) then it's pretty simple honestly. Michigan beats Ohio State, Notre Dame runs the table with wins over Clemson and USC, Alabama losses the SECCG to either Tennessee or Georgia, TCU drops a game and the Pac XII winner is USC with that second loss to ND.

Michigan won't get in without the Big Ten title but Ohio State might.

duhO$U has a better chance at the CFI (College Football Invitational) than scUM with one loss - all you have to do is look at the inaugural CFI Rankings that just came out... scUM is the second lowest ranked of the 6 remaining P5 undefeated teams at #5. But even #2 duhO$U won't make it with a loss if Clemson remains undefeated, which they almost certainly will. I'll go with 12-1 UGa, 13-0 duhO$U, 13-0 Clemson and 12-1 Bama.

Additionally, even if UGa beats Bama, it would be 13-0 UGa, 13-0 b1g Team, 13-0 Clemson and 11-1 Tennessee.

It does NOT trump a 1 loss Ohio State though if that loss is to Michigan. I'm calling for Michigan to beat Ohio State but Ohio State is the team that gets in ahead of Tennessee.

Yeah, that's trickier
It comes down to WHO gets left out, as to whether they bump it up to 2024: If a loud mouth like Harbaugh or Dabo or Saban gets left out then yes....their hands are forced..
If it's TCU, or Oregon, or even Georgia, then they get their wish and they keep it status quo.

It comes down to WHO gets left out, as to whether they bump it up to 2024: If a loud mouth like Harbaugh or Dabo or Saban gets left out then yes....their hands are forced..
If it's TCU, or Oregon, or even Georgia, then they get their wish and they keep it status quo.
Keeping out the defending champs won't go over well. TCU/Oregon I agree.

If we want to get 2 Big Tens in the playoff (do we?) then it's pretty simple honestly. Michigan beats Ohio State, Notre Dame runs the table with wins over Clemson and USC, Alabama losses the SECCG to either Tennessee or Georgia, TCU drops a game and the Pac XII winner is USC with that second loss to ND.

Michigan won't get in without the Big Ten title but Ohio State might.
And it looks like the committee agrees with you as they've really slammed Michigan's first 3 opponents. I believe the had the worst SOS out of the first 12 teams. They have to go undefeated and beat OSU to get in.

Scheduling Colorado St, U Conn, and Hawaii was pathetic and could come back to bite them if they lose a close one to OSU especially when they cancelled UCLA for 2022

Reactions: LandoComando
And it looks like the committee agrees with you as they've really slammed Michigan's first 3 opponents. I believe the had the worst SOS out of the first 12 teams. They have to go undefeated and beat OSU to get in.

Scheduling Colorado St, U Conn, and Hawaii was pathetic and could come back to bite them if they lose a close one to OSU especially when they cancelled UCLA for 2022

No doubt, if either Tenn or Bama have only 1 Loss, scUM is not going before them if they lose to duhO$U.

The other thing imho is TCU will get one of the spots if they end up going 13-0. IOW, it may well end up being 13-0 UGa, 13-0 duhO$U, 13-0 Clemson and 13-0 TCU.

Yeah, there's no way to defend or even excuse Michigan's non-conference slate and I hope they get left out as punishment for it.

1. Georgia 13-0
2. Michigan 13-0
3. Tennessee 11-1
4. Ohio State 11-1
------
5. Clemson 12-1
6. Oregon 12-1
I can dig that. B1G vs. SEC and I take B1G. But two of those teams would not even be in their conference championship which, if selected, would pretty much kill the current system. That would be good.

Reactions: LandoComando
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT