ADVERTISEMENT

OC options?

uscgPSU

Jul 6, 2014
Do we keep this band together and risk losing recruits or do we fire Donovan?

If we go with firing what our the options? Doubt there is anyone we can find walking the streets to be the OC (I think I could do better but doubt the State would let me work for PSU in addition to them) so who do we promote to OC until next year?

You guys might laugh, but Walt Harris still lives in the Pittsburgh area and would be a good option. His offenses and WR's were prolific at Pitt (2 Belitnikoff winners) and he knows offense. His latest stint was at Cal U and they put up a lot of points on The D-2 level. He's kind of a quirky guy, very mechanical, and wears out his welcome for some reason but he knows offense! And it might only be for a year...works for me.

It's either find someone out of football or Franklin has to take the reigns the remainder of the year and then look for a coordinator for next season. Donovan is just awful.

If we go with firing what our the options? Doubt there is anyone we can find walking the streets to be the OC (I think I could do better but doubt the State would let me work for PSU in addition to them) so who do we promote to OC until next year?

I hate to break it to anyone here but there isn't an OC in the game - past, present or future - that could do a whole heck of a lot given the condition sanctions left this OL in....and that includes in-week game planning and in-game adjustments. This isn't a glowing endorsement of Donovan as much as a reality check. This line was stripped down to bare bones and one off season isn't going to fix it.

umm....you are aware that there are hour limits for practice and contact during the season? Just when would an OC off the street install a totally new offense? This board is crawling with xbox veterans. Donovan will not be fired. JF may take some of the play calling responsibility to appease the masses (who are asses).

I can take 11 kids from my neighborhood and install 12 plays in a week. "You, go long". Hey you, "skinny post". Linemen..."you see that guy in front of you? Don't let him past you."

Xbox veterans or guys that are tired of seeing the offense the way it is? I was simply asking a question and not really looking for sarcastic answers. My deepest apologies to you for asking such a silly question. I understand there are limitations to what we can do but I was just simply trying to start a conversation on possible OC options.

I can take 11 kids from my neighborhood and install 12 plays in a week. "You, go long". Hey you, "skinny post". Linemen..."you see that guy in front of you? Don't let him past you."
You sir are an idiot. I had more than 30 years of high school coaching experience and you speak as only a fool can.

Reactions: Harer19
I'm not a head coach but I also know those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We all knew this debacle was coming. Explain how a Illinois did this week for me after firing their head coach one week before the game...

Reactions: N&B4PSU
Also explain how you can possibly coordinate an offense that does not provide for ONE touchdown pass in 8 quarters against Temple. That is tragic. Yes, I believe I can do a better job.

I'm not a head coach but I also know those who don't learn from history are doomed to repeat it. We all knew this debacle was coming. Explain how a Illinois did this week for me after firing their head coach one week before the game...
The Illinois coach was fired WITH cause. Do you know the difference? When university and NCAA guidelines that exist for the safety and well being of student athletes are violated, heads roll.
When fans don't like the formations or plays a coach calls.....well in the coaching fraternity there is a saying or two or three....1. it depends on who has the chalk last 2. You can't polish mud 3. The coach needs suggestions from the bleachers like he need another orifice.

Also explain how you can possibly coordinate an offense that does not provide for ONE touchdown pass in 8 quarters against Temple. That is tragic. Yes, I believe I can do a better job.
Of course you can. Send me your resume and I will personally deliver it to James,

Donovan should not be fired. His letter of resignation should be accepted.

There ought to be an undated letter of resignation from Donovan in CJF's files. CJF should just pull it out of the file and notify Donovan that his resignation has been accepted.

Now, if no such letter exists, that's a problem in and of itself.

Well, I doubt that they managed to win by dumping the entire offensive system they previously worked on since their new head coach is also their incumbent OC.

The Illinois coach was fired WITH cause. Do you know the difference? When university and NCAA guidelines that exist for the safety and well being of student athletes are violated, heads roll.
When fans don't like the formations or plays a coach calls.....well in the coaching fraternity there is a saying or two or three....1. it depends on who has the chalk last 2. You can't polish mud 3. The coach needs suggestions from the bleachers like he need another orifice.
Good Points. I just believe that Hackenberg needs a pro style offense to thrive. He thrived in O'Brien's system. Matt McGloin thrived in O'Brien's system and he is surviving in the pros and actually looks better than David Carr. My opinion is the offensive linemen are slow footed. The Juco kid actually only played a few games last year because he was hurt.

James,

Line up your two fastest receivers on the outside and let them go deep...go routes or posts you decide with a number system how to give them their assignment. Tell Christian to take a 2 step drop and throw the ball as far as he can. We will also run Polk over the middle from the slot. Occasionally, use those guys called tight ends to check a defensive end then head out towards the sideline. Repeat.

The end.

Reactions: pkg5002
Donovan should not be fired. His letter of resignation should be accepted.

There ought to be an undated letter of resignation from Donovan in CJF's files. CJF should just pull it out of the file and notify Donovan that his resignation has been accepted.

Now, if no such letter exists, that's a problem in and of itself.

Franklin could do that and takeover the responsibility himself or give it to Rahne. But two problems remain. Too late to completely toss out the current offensive system and start designing and implementing a new one from square one. And if it's game planning, the current offensive staff and Franklin are involved in putting together what we see on the field, so were does that leave us?

I hate to be the one to point this out, but there's a guy named Jay Paterno who currently has no position and would make for an interesting OC....he has the experience, he has the name, and he would represent a political statement that would be kind of interesting right now.

However, on the more realistic side of things, there is a former NFL head coach named Jim Haslett who has seen just about everything there is to see on a football field, and he works for James Franklin. You think he hasn't called around to his network of NFL coaches, sent them the video of the game, and asked them to break it all down for him?

Reactions: Marshall30
umm....you are aware that there are hour limits for practice and contact during the season? Just when would an OC off the street install a totally new offense? This board is crawling with xbox veterans. Donovan will not be fired. JF may take some of the play calling responsibility to appease the masses (who are asses).
I didn't know the board xbox veterans had a say in the hiring and firing of coaches either.

I 100% guarantee you could not do a better job. Go back to your video games.

Reactions: mn78psu83
Excellent. You're qualified.

I hate to be the one to point this out, but there's a guy named Jay Paterno who currently has no position and would make for an interesting OC....he has the experience, he has the name, and he would represent a political statement that would be kind of interesting right now.

However, on the more realistic side of things, there is a former NFL head coach named Jim Haslett who has seen just about everything there is to see on a football field, and he works for James Franklin. You think he hasn't called around to his network of NFL coaches, sent them the video of the game, and asked them to break it all down for him?

Putting the "politics" aside and even if Jay were the greatest offensive mind in football.......okay, you can stop laughing now......it's simply too late to scrap the current offensive system and install a new one.

And, no, I don't believe Haslett has contaced his network of NFL coaches to have them critique and comment on the Temple game and I don't think he'll do that going forward, either.

Reactions: masterbaker65

We gotta be patient. Give CJF at least 4 full years to get us to the playoff. Only then can you evaluate

You think he hasn't called around to his network of NFL coaches, sent them the video of the game, and asked them to break it all down for him?

Let me take a wild guess and assume that since every one of those NFL coaches is eyeball deep in preparations for their season openers; No he hasn't!

You guys might laugh, but Walt Harris still lives in the Pittsburgh area and would be a good option. His offenses and WR's were prolific at Pitt (2 Belitnikoff winners) and he knows offense. His latest stint was at Cal U and they put up a lot of points on The D-2 level. He's kind of a quirky guy, very mechanical, and wears out his welcome for some reason but he knows offense! And it might only be for a year...works for me.

It's either find someone out of football or Franklin has to take the reigns the remainder of the year and then look for a coordinator for next season. Donovan is just awful.

Good suggestion. His QB's always got better like Bobby Hoying at Ohio St. He was nothing as a junior then under Harris he became super and a second round draft pick of the Eagles. Without Harris he would never have been drafted.

Ralph Fridgen (sp?) would be available, as well as several nfl off guys who are not working. get them in as a consultant asap.

Putting the "politics" aside and even if Jay were the greatest offensive mind in football.......okay, you can stop laughing now......it's simply too late to scrap the current offensive system and install a new one.

And, no, I don't believe Haslett has contaced his network of NFL coaches to have them critique and comment on the Temple game and I don't think he'll do that going forward, either.

don't think he needs to... i think we pretty much handled that for him. pretty much have to be blind not to see what went wrong.

btw, i'm available for the OL gig. I'm pretty sure i'd have them so pissed off at this old dude that they'd block a truck and run over their grandma just to get at me. they'd be the greatest OL since 1994.. of course, i can only hope i run fast enough (unlikely anymore) or it's a bad outcome for me...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT