ADVERTISEMENT

NY Mets trade for four time all star Francisco Lindor

Obliviax

Aug 21, 2001
CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Indians have traded four-time All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor and right-hander Carlos Carrasco to the New York Mets. They will receive infielders Amed Rosario and Andre Gimenez, right-hander Josh Wolf and outfielder Isaiah Greene.

Lindor is one year away from free agency and the Indians have been trying to trade him because he’s scheduled to make an estimated $20 million for the 2021 season. Lindor, the Indians’ No.1 pick in 2011, is regarded as one of the top players in the big leagues.

The Indians suffered losses in the “tens of millions” last season became of the pandemic, according to Chris Antonetti, Indians president of baseball operations. They have been cutting payroll since the end of last season and the trade of Lindor and Carrasco represent the latest cuts.

Over the years the Indians have tried to sign Lindor to a multiyear deal without success.

Carrasco is guaranteed $27 million over the next three years.

• Love
Reactions: GoGoBanana
It's been an interesting off-season so far. None of the teams are sure what their revenue will be in 2021 -- when the season will start, how many games will be played, whether or not there will be fans in the stands -- and a new collective bargaining agreement is in the works prior to 2022. Teams like the Yankees are doing absolutely nothing because they have no idea what revenues will look like in 2021, and resetting the luxury tax threshold makes sense for any teams that want to get in on the free agent shortstop bonanza after the 2021 season -- Lindor, Correa, Baez, Story....

It's safe to say that the Padres and Mets have greatly improved themselves so far. However, the Padres are still chasing the Dodgers and the Mets are still chasing the Braves and maybe the Nats, so the balance of power hasn't changed all that much.

Francisco, that's a fun name to say...
27, four-time all-star, and a delight to fans and front office alike. He's probably in line to get a $200m+ contract at the end of next season. Probably in the HoF conversation. Playing in NY will help is several recent "Cleveland Baseball Squad" players should be in the HOF but play in too small of a market.

• Wow
Reactions: ouirpsu
27, four-time all-star, and a delight to fans and front office alike. He's probably in line to get a $200m+ contract at the end of next season. Probably in the HoF conversation. Playing in NY will help is several recent "Cleveland Baseball Squad" players should be in the HOF but play in too small of a market.
Clearly you missed the Buddy the Elf reference. Also, I know nothing about baseball the most boring sport on earth.

Clearly you missed the Buddy the Elf reference. Also, I know nothing about baseball the most boring sport on earth.
I got it...its one of my favorite scenes in the movie. Just felt like responding to your post because I wanted to add information about Lindor. being in CLE, he's a superstar nobody talks about.

Reactions: ouirpsu
Carlos Baerga had similar stats with Cleveland when the Mets signed him at the same age of 27. He proceeded to do nothing with the Mets and was out of baseball at 31.
I think Lindor is a very good player but it is the Mets after all.

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- The Indians have traded four-time All-Star shortstop Francisco Lindor and right-hander Carlos Carrasco to the New York Mets. They will receive infielders Amed Rosario and Andre Gimenez, right-hander Josh Wolf and outfielder Isaiah Greene.

Lindor is one year away from free agency and the Indians have been trying to trade him because he’s scheduled to make an estimated $20 million for the 2021 season. Lindor, the Indians’ No.1 pick in 2011, is regarded as one of the top players in the big leagues.

The Indians suffered losses in the “tens of millions” last season became of the pandemic, according to Chris Antonetti, Indians president of baseball operations. They have been cutting payroll since the end of last season and the trade of Lindor and Carrasco represent the latest cuts.

Over the years the Indians have tried to sign Lindor to a multiyear deal without success.

#LGM

Great deal for the Mets given that they gave up 2 prospects that were not in their top 5 in the organization. Sure, they may be renting Lindor and who knows if butts are allowed in the seats and how many, but it’s a splash move for a guy who doesn’t worry about the money. I like the Carrasco piece a lot as well

As a long-time Mets fan, I can tell you that Gimenez is going to be a star. The guy has great baseball instincts, is good in the field, and he will hit. The Mets had to give him up in order to get Lindor, but he is a better return than the casual fan might think at the moment.

Reactions: Obliviax
As a long-time Mets fan, I can tell you that Gimenez is going to be a star. The guy has great baseball instincts, is good in the field, and he will hit. The Mets had to give him up in order to get Lindor, but he is a better return than the casual fan might think at the moment.
Maybe, but he’s got a career 279/356/405 slash line. Inefficient base stealer and no power. His glove is going to need to be incredible

Thanks for the insight. I guess Cleveland felt it was better to move now rather than trying to create a Lindor bidding war for teams around the trade deadline given the impact he could make to a team thinking he might be the piece that pushes them into or winning the WS. I’ll be interested in the Mets or Lindor seeking a long term deal given the uncertainty of exactly what kind of season this will be and then the looming labor uncertainty. I think the Mets did well here.

word is that Lindor told writers he didn't want to play in NY. Things change, of course. But if that is the case, the Mets may struggle to sign him at the end of 2021. A lot of the big money teams are set at SS for years so the Mets may be the only one left willing to spend $200m+ for this guy long term.

Yeah he's 22, but he slashed 250/309/387 in AA in 2019. I'm not a Cleveland fan, I'm just surprised at the return
the lack of value in the return is that FL is an UFA at the end of 2021. The Mets may well only get one year from him. Even if he signs, will cost them $20+ per year for a decade or so. So FL is a depreciated asset that requires a big investment. Teams now factor in the probabilities of the contracts and retention. So the Indians traded him before he was fully depreciated but is clearly down the depreciation path. MoneyBall!

I get the sense the Mets will try to extend Lindor but on their terms. Lindor heading into another offseason with teams hurting financially from the pandemic, a new CBA this summer and a loaded SS field in free agency next year might be much more willing to get something done ASAP. He may have had dreams of 10+ Years and 300 million a couple years ago but with the pandemic and lack to teams that can make that deal the times have changed. He may have to settle for less years and under 30 million a year.

For the Mets they have whatever money they want to spend. They have no limits, they have more money then everyone and it isn’t close now. They don’t have a ceiling anymore but they want to build sustained winning with young players making up their core. Sandy Anderson was brought in to provide that guidance and it will be interesting how they play it. If Lindor leaves they will get a draft pick and be able to sign a Correa, Baez, Trevor Story type SS to replace him at a fraction of what he is asking for. Will be really interesting to see if Lindor gets anywhere near what he thought he would, my guess is very few will get what they want the next couple years.

Reactions: PSUSignore
I get the sense the Mets will try to extend Lindor but on their terms. Lindor heading into another offseason with teams hurting financially from the pandemic, a new CBA this summer and a loaded SS field in free agency next year might be much more willing to get something done ASAP. He may have had dreams of 10+ Years and 300 million a couple years ago but with the pandemic and lack to teams that can make that deal the times have changed. He may have to settle for less years and under 30 million a year.

For the Mets they have whatever money they want to spend. They have no limits, they have more money then everyone and it isn’t close now. They don’t have a ceiling anymore but they want to build sustained winning with young players making up their core. Sandy Anderson was brought in to provide that guidance and it will be interesting how they play it. If Lindor leaves they will get a draft pick and be able to sign a Correa, Baez, Trevor Story type SS to replace him at a fraction of what he is asking for. Will be really interesting to see if Lindor gets anywhere near what he thought he would, my guess is very few will get what they want the next couple years.

Noted, but the big guys seem to get theirs and then the mid range guys get squeezed. I’m not sure he gets a super long deal but I think his AAV on any deal will still be huge.

Mets with a steal.
and with that crook Steve Cohen owning the team, more to come.

Hard to believe that is all the Clevelanders could get for him
Cleveland screwed up. They should have traded him a year ago. They knew then that Lindor could not be resigned. His value has gone down in the last year.

The NY Mets at full strength will be a force in the NL East this year. If they’re able to pick up a solid center fielder the table will be set.

ESPN complicit once again.

"In December 2017, ESPN obtained the messages after being alerted to their existence by a baseball source. ESPN reached out to the woman, interviewed her and was prepared to report about the allegations but did not do so after the woman concluded her career would be harmed if the story came out. ESPN has periodically kept in touch with the woman - who since has left journalism - and, in recent days, she decided to come forward only on the condition of anonymity because she fears backlash in her home country."

Obli: I assume you are a Tribe fan. Are you simply resigned to stuff like this, or does it still aggravate you? I see this kind of salary dump thing every off season with the Oakland A's (who have one of the richest owners in baseball in Donald Fisher), and it makes me glad I am a Dodgers fan. That being said, the A's DID resign their third baseman (Chapman), which was a surprise.

"In December 2017, ESPN obtained the messages after being alerted to their existence by a baseball source. ESPN reached out to the woman, interviewed her and was prepared to report about the allegations but did not do so after the woman concluded her career would be harmed if the story came out. ESPN has periodically kept in touch with the woman - who since has left journalism - and, in recent days, she decided to come forward only on the condition of anonymity because she fears backlash in her home country."

Met's seem like an organization that has been cursed.

Obli: I assume you are a Tribe fan. Are you simply resigned to stuff like this, or does it still aggravate you? I see this kind of salary dump thing every off season with the Oakland A's (who have one of the richest owners in baseball in Donald Fisher), and it makes me glad I am a Dodgers fan. That being said, the A's DID resign their third baseman (Chapman), which was a surprise.
It’s frustrating. Tribe is one of the best managed franchises in all of baseball. I believe they have the best or one of the best records since 1990 Several cy young award winners. But this sucks. But it’s the same for the nba as well. Nfl careers are short so it is less affected

Why do some guys do this? Has it ever worked on a single female?

Reactions: PearlSUJam
I once posted, on this board as a joke, something like ‘ note to guys, don’t send dick pics, nobody wants to see that’ and several posters not only disagree but got mad. It was shocking, to be honest.

• Haha
Reactions: PearlSUJam
I once posted, on this board as a joke, something like ‘ note to guys, don’t send dick pics, nobody wants to see that’ and several posters not only disagree but got mad. It was shocking, to be honest
Wow, that is scary. It sounds like desperation on the guy’s part, and if it doesn’t work out with her, which I cannot imagine it would. she has blackmail on the guy forever. It sounds monumentally stupid.

Reactions: Obliviax
This is also something I don’t understand. However, I gather that young men and women use “sending nudes” as a form of flirting these days, and will encourage the exchange when they are still in the early stages of flirting. Now, I don’t know how prevalent it is, but it seems common enough that it appears to be the norm for some. It is epically dumb, and would seem to only attract scumbags. Unsolicited pictures of this nature are a very bad idea. It is extremely creepy and possibly criminal.

Annnnnnd he is fired. Deservedly in my book. Very unacceptable behavior and shows a serious lack of a judgment I wouldn't want him anywhere near my organization.

Reactions: diontechristmas
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT