ADVERTISEMENT

NWCA All-Star Classic Update

Speculatively, I don't even want Nickal to wrestle Martin in the Classic. I want Nickal to crush Martin when it counts.

Moot point if you ask me since in spite of all the internet rumors IMHO Bo will be at 174.

Speculatively, I don't even want Nickal to wrestle Martin in the Classic. I want Nickal to crush Martin when it counts.
Gotta think Dean will get first crack, unless the organizers want to pair him against Cox.

Although I'm chomping at the bit for some wrestling action, I would prefer PSU to enter no one in the Classic.

Wouldn't want an unfortunate injury.

Reactions: Creek Side
Man, how awesome would it be to see another Nolf/IMar match?? I'd also love a Cortez/Richards match-up, or maybe see Retherford go up a weight to face a top kid from 157...

Man, how awesome would it be to see another Nolf/IMar match?? I'd also love a Cortez/Richards match-up, or maybe see Retherford go up a weight to face a top kid from 157...
It's hard to see Cortez getting selected since he has yet to wrestle a varsity match. I'd love to see Nolf/IMar and they have had some matches with guys moving up for a good match-up. But I doubt it happens.

It's hard to see Cortez getting selected since he has yet to wrestle a varsity match. I'd love to see Nolf/IMar and they have had some matches with guys moving up for a good match-up. But I doubt it happens.

Yeah, I agree it is doubtful they'd select Cortez but it's got a great storyline, right? Former teammates, like the Kevin Jack/Bryce Meredith deal?

Yeah, I agree it is doubtful they'd select Cortez but it's got a great storyline, right? Former teammates, like the Kevin Jack/Bryce Meredith deal?
Well, Cortez and Richards will likely meet each other in the dual on Feb 10!

How about a Cox vs Snyder match up? I think that everyone would like to see that one happen.

How about a Cox vs Snyder match up? I think that everyone would like to see that one happen.

Assuming Cox is going 197 this season, which I think is a given, that matchup isn't realistic as Cox would be at a rather large weight disadvantage.

Assuming Cox is going 197 this season, which I think is a given, that matchup isn't realistic as Cox would be at a rather large weight disadvantage.

It's an exhibition, and mix-matching weights is the only way to make it watchable. I imagine Dean would weigh in around 195-200.

I agree that there are a few weights that have already been decided. 149 and 157 will be tournaments to see who places second. Man, I'd pay good money to see Nolf wrestle in an actual match against Retherford...

Reactions: diggerpup
It's an exhibition, and mix-matching weights is the only way to make it watchable. I imagine Dean would weigh in around 195-200.

What difference would it make what Dean weighed in a match between Cox and Snyder?

What difference would it make what Dean weighed in a match between Cox and Snyder?
I had suggested Dean vs. Cox might be a good match. Cox might not stray too far above 197 since he's wrestling 189 freestyle.

There will be official weigh-ins at the All-Star Classic. Doesn't count as a competition date for the wrestlers, but any descent rules will apply.

It seems like this event is getting harder and harder to have great match ups. You got teams that just won't send kids for various reasons, the worry of getting injured, and some may just not be able to make the weight yet. I think some weights will be lucky to pair all Americans against each other.

Also, descent rules mean difficulty in cross-weight matchups. Coaches are not gonna want to juggle their lineups for 3-5 weeks over an exhibition.

So far...

141 Bryce Meredith (Wyo)
149 Lavion Mayes (Mizz)
165 Daniel Lewis (Mizz) vs Isaac Jordan (Wis)
184 Myles Martin (tOSU)
285 Ty Walz (VT) vs Connor Medbery (Wis)

I'm guessing we haven't heard anything from PSU coaches as to whether any PSU wrestlers considering it. Certainly Zain, Jason and Bo will be invited. Last year we heard that Nico and Morgan were considering it.

I hope Zain,Nolf, and Bo all decide to give it a go. There is injury risk anytime you take the mat, but as fans we only get so many opportunities to watch these guys. How many of you wish you could see Q or Ruth wrestle one more time in a big folk style matchup? There are some great matches we simply never get to see with the traditional tournament and scheduling. I feel cheated never having seen Nolf vs Ian Miller as that match would have been wild from the opening go. I would love to see Bo vs Bo, Clark vs Nato, and Zain vs Nolf ( I know right) if I could put a few down.

The latest...

Officially Announced Matchups

125:
133: Zane Richards, Sr. (Illinois) vs. Eric Montoya, Sr. (Nebraska)
141: Bryce Meredith, Jr. (Wyoming) vs. Anthony Ashnault, Jr. (Rutgers)
149:
157: Brian Murphy, Sr. (Michigan) vs. Max Rohskopf, Sr. (NC State)
165: Isaac Jordan, Sr. (Wisconsin) vs. Daniel Lewis, So. (Missouri)
174:
184: Gabe Dean, Sr. (Cornell) vs. Myles Martin, So. (Ohio State)
197: Brett Pfarr, Sr. (Minnesota) vs. Brett Harner, Sr. (Princeton)
285: Ty Walz, Sr. (Virginia Tech) vs. Connor Medbery, Sr. (Wisconsin)

165, 184, and 285 are the only really appealing matches for me.

If they could get Zain to wrestle two other 149 contenders at once, that could be fun too.

Martin looked huge in his wrestle-off. Probably the only match I'll watch and then they can kill the event. the 157 match is hilarious.

Guess I'll step up and be positive. For the wrestlers (and their coaches) that decided to go to this event, my hat's off to you...

is there any reason why more #1s and #2s are not attending? As others have noted (who know more than I), this doesn't exactly resemble the Taylor-Dake field. Has NWCA changed the date, location, or some other outside issue (other tourneys, season start date changing, competition rules, etc.etc.) that make it less attractive to the wrestlers? Or is it just novelty wearing off, normal ebb and flo.... ? Any theories?

is there any reason why more #1s and #2s are not attending? As others have noted (who know more than I), this doesn't exactly resemble the Taylor-Dake field. Has NWCA changed the date, location, or some other outside issue (other tourneys, season start date changing, competition rules, etc.etc.) that make it less attractive to the wrestlers? Or is it just novelty wearing off, normal ebb and flo.... ? Any theories?
Here's some thoughts...
1. Wrestler not at their weight
2. Injury potential

Here's some thoughts...
1. Wrestler not at their weight
2. Injury potential

More reasons:

3. Not wanting to expose too much of their style to a top opponent when it doesn't count.
4. Conflicts with school / events
5. Existing injury

I hope the injury potential isn't true. Might as well skip practice then. I wonder how much this is being slowed by the coaches vs the wrestlers...

Tough crowd.

It's not Saturday night at NCAAs, or maybe not even Friday night, but those are a collection of decent intriguing matches.

EDIT: Actually, I could see a few of these matches occurring in Friday night of NCAAs.

Reactions: Onceafish
Yes, there was a date change in 2012...the year that brought us the Dake-Taylor match. Prior to that, it was the weekend before Thanksgiving. (Last year, it was on the first Sunday afternoon of the season, rather than Saturday night, but that was a function of the calendar splitting that weekend, the Sunday was the first legal day of competition last year)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT