ADVERTISEMENT

November 14th, 1970

I can vividly remember the news break as John Chancellor reported the first information of the tragedy. What a devastating loss to a community and all the families involved.

http://www.huntingtonnews.net/167550

A physician, and Marshall alumnus who lost both parents in the 1970 plane crash is the keynote speaker for the 49th Memorial Fountain Ceremony.

Matthew Murrill Ralsten and Helen Ralsten, both Marshall graduates, were among the 24 athletic boosters who died with 51 players, coaches and staff on Nov. 14, 1970 when Southern Airways Flight 932 crashed when approaching Tri-State Airport in Kenova. At noon on Thursday, Dr. Matthew M. Ralsten III will honor their legacy.

“My sister [Mollie] and I lost both of our parents,” said Ralsten. “The impact of such a loss is hard to describe, but we were very fortunate to have been raised by our amazing extended family.”

“The loss of the 75 lives that tragic evening included many of the leaders in our academic, business and political community, as well as the players, coaches, pilots and crew,” he added. “The ceremony allows us to remember our loved ones while allowing us to also celebrate the amazing progress our school and community continues to achieve.”

At the time, Murrill operated The Ralsten Ltd, a Huntington clothing store, and was a member of the city council. a clothing store called The Ralsten Ltd. and was also a member of Huntington City Council. Helen was a school teacher in Chesapeake, Ohio.

A 2002 graduate of the Marshall University School of Medicine, Ralsten now works as an obstetrician-gynecologist in Fayetteville, Ga., where he lives with his wife, Tammy, a 1996 Marshall graduate with a Bachelor of Science in Nursing.

The Ralstens have twin adult children - Matthew Murrill IV, and Helen Claire Ralsten -
who attend the University of South Carolina, and Georgia, respectively.

The Memorial Fountain Ceremony can be viewed live at www.marshall.edu/it/livestream.

This fellow played and graduated the year before the plane crash. He lost almost all if his teammates and coaches. His son told me it was his first time back since the crash. This was shot in 2010
The memorial is for 6 bodies whose remains could not be individually identified
BA9E494A-8272-41A5-B0EC-0304CDCACE27_zpslubebzi7.jpg

Our neighborhood lost a great young man in the tragedy. Rest In Peace Art Shannon. The Shannon family was a wonderful family and we hope that they have found peace even with incredible pain they have suffered.

Ken Griffey Sr was a great athlete at both baseball and football. After high school he was drafted to play pro baseball but also had many football scholarship offers. He was just about to call the coach at Marshal and accept a football scholarship when his girl friend called and told him she was pregnant. He then decided that he had to sign a minor league baseball contract so that he could support his new family. Had he gone to Marshal he probably would have been on that plane. The baby son he had was Ken Griffey Jr.

Life is full of strange twists of fate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT